Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216759 times)

oak leaf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 58
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1050 on: May 24, 2022, 09:28:08 AM »
Been skating the Girl - Loveseat shape for a year now on titanium Indy 159’s but I am curious about experimenting with other trucks for fun.

Not knowing dick about trucks, what other brands make a titanium/hollow/generally light truck for 8.75”-9” boards?

current dlx drop has venture 6.1s in vhollow (hollow kp, hollow axle, forged plates), thats an 8.75 truck.  never skated it so can’t personally back it but i am still surprised how light my 5.6 vhollows are so theres that

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • the moon rules
« Reply #1051 on: May 24, 2022, 10:43:47 AM »
What's the company that makes the board the evil beamer was based on?
I know it's just some dude. I want one but I don't want to pay eBay resale prices for one
fuck you bama

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #1052 on: May 24, 2022, 10:52:27 AM »
i've never skated a pair of adidas before... is there a model thats regarded as 'the best'?

obviously i know personal preferences play a major part but just generally speaking.  busenitz, sambas & gazelles have been interesting me

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #1053 on: May 24, 2022, 11:01:43 AM »
Been skating the Girl - Loveseat shape for a year now on titanium Indy 159’s but I am curious about experimenting with other trucks for fun.

Not knowing dick about trucks, what other brands make a titanium/hollow/generally light truck for 8.75”-9” boards?

There isn't much choice without riding some weird stuff, like @oak leaf said, Venture. Thunder 151's (8.75), Lurpiv 159's (8.75), MiniLogo Raw polished 8.75's are 360g. Theeve's Ti 6.5 offerings (9") weigh ~350ish. Polar Bear at 180mm (9") weigh ~390.

There's others, you can look for yourself:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13rCMIthFb59Y-xrveasWk4GqR9jgd85fXDCIFm3g15I/edit#gid=0
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1054 on: May 24, 2022, 11:09:34 AM »
i've never skated a pair of adidas before... is there a model thats regarded as 'the best'?

obviously i know personal preferences play a major part but just generally speaking.  busenitz, sambas & gazelles have been interesting me

Busenitz or any of the classic adv are a safe bet. I personally like superstars because of the flick from the shell toe.

I've skated a bunch of their vulcs and dont know how to feel about them. The outsole always feels "hard" which makes it last forever but at the same time, I dont feel grip when I flick. 

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #1055 on: May 24, 2022, 12:06:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Busenitz or any of the classic adv are a safe bet. I personally like superstars because of the flick from the shell toe.

I've skated a bunch of their vulcs and dont know how to feel about them. The outsole always feels "hard" which makes it last forever but at the same time, I dont feel grip when I flick.
I assume you mean the skate gazelles with the vulc sole but just in case I really do NOT recommend normal gazelles. The sole pattern is way too shallow beyond just not grippy they are actually slippery on certain surfaces (like a skatepark for instance). Also since it's so shallow the sole will go completely smooth very quickly. There's a newer busenitz I think called busenitz vintage that pretty much looks exactly halfway between the og busenitz and the samba

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #1056 on: May 24, 2022, 02:01:55 PM »
yea definitely referencing the skate models/adv's.  appreciate the tips gentlemen

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 216
« Reply #1057 on: May 24, 2022, 02:04:18 PM »
You’re either gonna love the samba or Busnitez’s depending on your foot.

I prefer the Busnitez but I have a high arch

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 216
« Reply #1058 on: May 24, 2022, 02:05:01 PM »
Oh and get the non skate Sambas if you’re going that way

greenreese

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1059 on: May 24, 2022, 02:17:06 PM »

I've got pairs of Busenitz, Superstars, Tyshawn's, 3ST004s, Copa National and Forum Mid.  They all sit in the closet except for the Busenitz.  I'm on pair 6 or 7 now and they always feel great.  The Black/Gum is my go to, but I wish they would bring back the white ones.  No break in period, they just go.

manysnakes

« Reply #1060 on: May 24, 2022, 02:20:44 PM »
You’re either gonna love the samba or Busnitez’s depending on your foot.

I prefer the Busnitez but I have a high arch

The arch support in the Busnitez is crazy. I can’t make them work for me, they’re like a torture device.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #1061 on: May 24, 2022, 02:29:02 PM »
I am a Busenitz man as well. They‘re the only shoe I don‘t rip the laces on. Also no break in time as mentioned above. Get the suede ones, the leather ones are too stiff.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

FUBAR

• Rep: 240
« Reply #1062 on: May 24, 2022, 04:33:01 PM »
Which woodshop does a single divot between the front truck holes? Im skating a deck now from them and freakin dig it.
Cant find it using the search but remember it being mentioned.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 754
« Reply #1063 on: May 24, 2022, 05:39:11 PM »

I had a surprisingly good experience with the Superstar ADVs.  I was on an Adidas kick and went straight from the Busenitz to those and ended up liking them way better and skating them for a little over two months straight.  The shape is a little more traditional (less pointy) and I thought the grip for ollies and flick for fliptricks was better.  Also had a quick break-in period like the Busenitz. 

If you’re looking for a durable shoe with more padding and less boardfeel, the Tyshawn’s are extremely well made and comfortable to skate. 

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 741
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1064 on: May 24, 2022, 06:00:39 PM »
is da playground still around?
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1065 on: May 24, 2022, 06:05:00 PM »
Which woodshop does a single divot between the front truck holes? Im skating a deck now from them and freakin dig it.

BBS / Generator
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1066 on: May 24, 2022, 06:38:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

BBS / Generator

Most likely, unless it is the nail mark, more so than a wider dot.

I have tried to compile pics of tops of boards here, which do show the wider dot on a few:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.msg3729106#msg3729106

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1067 on: May 24, 2022, 06:43:45 PM »
I know it's just some dude. I want one but I don't want to pay eBay resale prices for one

I think it was this one, but couldn't be sure.

Some of his older posts sure do look similar in the construction.

Thankfully I had them all listed on the Woodshop thread, so it was just a matter of going over the smaller USA made woodshops.

https://www.instagram.com/factory13skateboards/

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #1068 on: May 24, 2022, 06:53:49 PM »
Anybody else have their inboard speed ring work its way into the face of the hanger or otherwise develop burrs?  Mine get all effed up and start making the bearings feel misaligned - way before even the midpoint of the trucks or wheels lifespan.

Seems rather unique, but that in itself doesn't mean it hasn't happened to anyone else.

Checking you mean the washer on the axles between hanger and bearing?

What trucks are you riding and do you have any play in the wheel or none at all?

I could understand if the axle nut was done up super tight and the hanger was a softer metal causing it to push inwards, but to me there would need to be significantly more force than just a human tightening the axle nut.

Maybe try running two washers on the inside?

I usually have three washers on the inside and none on the outside of every wheel with a little play, sometimes even four on the inside of Ace trucks as their axles are longer, which brings the wheel out more and sits better over the axle nut, but that is just me.

Curious to hear more.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

greenreese

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1069 on: May 24, 2022, 07:47:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Anybody else have their inboard speed ring work its way into the face of the hanger or otherwise develop burrs?  Mine get all effed up and start making the bearings feel misaligned - way before even the midpoint of the trucks or wheels lifespan.
[close]

Seems rather unique, but that in itself doesn't mean it hasn't happened to anyone else.

Checking you mean the washer on the axles between hanger and bearing?

What trucks are you riding and do you have any play in the wheel or none at all?

I could understand if the axle nut was done up super tight and the hanger was a softer metal causing it to push inwards, but to me there would need to be significantly more force than just a human tightening the axle nut.

Maybe try running two washers on the inside?

I usually have three washers on the inside and none on the outside of every wheel with a little play, sometimes even four on the inside of Ace trucks as their axles are longer, which brings the wheel out more and sits better over the axle nut, but that is just me.

Curious to hear more.

The washers/speed rings have a sharp side and a smooth side.  Rub your finger over the edge to figure out which side is which.  Put the smooth side against the hanger.  The sharp side won't do shit to the hard bearing race, but it can slowly wear against the hanger.  At least this is my experience.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • the moon rules
« Reply #1070 on: May 24, 2022, 08:27:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think it was this one, but couldn't be sure.

Some of his older posts sure do look similar in the construction.

Thankfully I had them all listed on the Woodshop thread, so it was just a matter of going over the smaller USA made woodshops.

https://www.instagram.com/factory13skateboards/
TY. I think that's them
fuck you bama

FUBAR

« Reply #1071 on: May 25, 2022, 05:57:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

BBS / Generator
[close]
Its like the size of a penny nail. Its a DGK deck I got in Dec 2020 as a gift.

Most likely, unless it is the nail mark, more so than a wider dot.

I have tried to compile pics of tops of boards here, which do show the wider dot on a few:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.msg3729106#msg3729106

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1072 on: May 25, 2022, 08:12:24 PM »
Anyone know if LRG is coming back? I’ve seen a few people (Chico, Kelly Hart, Karl I think) wearing some LRG gear recently. I’m slightly intrigued, there’s some potential for some good pants.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1073 on: May 25, 2022, 08:32:54 PM »
What do people mean when a truck is high and thus "tippy"

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #1074 on: May 25, 2022, 09:14:06 PM »
Anyone know if LRG is coming back? I’ve seen a few people (Chico, Kelly Hart, Karl I think) wearing some LRG gear recently. I’m slightly intrigued, there’s some potential for some good pants.

i want to believe, but i'm more inclined to say it's deadstock/ebay/etc. after reading something about a dude who hooks people up with older skate gear from the people they are sponsored by, i wouldn't put it past those three to have access to that type of thing.
still...hoping for a revival

Lashes2ashes

• Rep: 7
« Reply #1075 on: May 25, 2022, 10:40:08 PM »
when did they go out? There website is still up and they had a clothing drop this year it says? I see nothing skate related so probably got sold and turned into a street wear brand.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1076 on: May 25, 2022, 10:50:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

BBS / Generator
[close]

Its like the size of a penny nail. Its a DGK deck I got in Dec 2020 as a gift.

I would say 99.99% BBS wood, as they were all still BBS back before things went a bit funny and they started to look for different options like some of the now unknown wood from 2021 / 2022 with "Made in China" for DGK and a number of other brands that were all just BBS before.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #1077 on: May 26, 2022, 07:57:15 AM »
What do people mean when a truck is high and thus "tippy"

What do you mean?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1078 on: May 26, 2022, 08:56:48 AM »
People often say they don't like the height of Indy's or now Lurpivs. They describe it as making the truck feel "tippy". I don't understand this.

oak leaf

• Rep: 58
« Reply #1079 on: May 26, 2022, 09:10:43 AM »
People often say they don't like the height of Indy's or now Lurpivs. They describe it as making the truck feel "tippy". I don't understand this.

think of like a jeep, when you corner hard it feels like its gonna flip on its side?

i dont skate indys but when i was trying risers i had this feeling, like when you turn hard the whole board might just go to rail.

edit: by comparison thunders and ventures make me feel like the concave is “in” the truck not “on” it… i know thats not really how it is - im just talkin feel