Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 202009 times)

hayduke lives

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 35
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1710 on: September 20, 2022, 10:16:08 PM »
anyone know what blank trucker hats dlx used to use? the old made in u.s.a. ones had my favorite fit.

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #1711 on: September 21, 2022, 06:41:29 AM »
Standard or GT Blazers for someone coming from Vans/NB vulcs but has never skated Nike? Is the taping the only difference?
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1712 on: September 21, 2022, 10:24:28 AM »
For you Mini Logo truck lovers:

Do you have problems with your pivot cups? I decided to give these trucks another shot and the stock pivot cups (hard white plastic ones) didn't fit the yoke properly, I could see the metal bit wiggling around even with the trucks at medium tightness. And the board was rattling like crazy almost like I didn't have a pivot cup, you know the sound.

I swapped it out for some generic after market ones which helped to dampen the rattle but I could still see the yoke shifting around a lot.

The trucks pinch really nicely, hoping to fix the pivot cups so I can keep riding them.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1713 on: September 21, 2022, 11:30:02 AM »
I like the pointy baker shape. But does anyone make something similar with steep kicks or concave?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1714 on: September 21, 2022, 12:09:32 PM »
I feel like the HCL Sk8Mafia decks I've seen are pretty pointy and steep.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1715 on: September 21, 2022, 04:34:16 PM »

Do you have problems with your pivot cups? I decided to give these trucks another shot and the stock pivot cups (hard white plastic ones) didn't fit the yoke properly, I could see the metal bit wiggling around even with the trucks at medium tightness. And the board was rattling like crazy almost like I didn't have a pivot cup, you know the sound.

I swapped it out for some generic after market ones which helped to dampen the rattle but I could still see the yoke shifting around a lot.

The trucks pinch really nicely, hoping to fix the pivot cups so I can keep riding them.

If the pivot sits loosely in the pivot seat, I doubt you'll be able to permanently fix the issue. I started having the same problem with Indy when they moved to China, and no matter what cups I threw in there, the extra play would eventually make the pivot chew through it.
My longest lasting solutions was a cut down Krux pivot cup (they're too tall, but snug), and RipTide. You can get RipTide cups specifically for Mini Logo now, so it might be worth the investment. I, however, was forced to painfully lazer off the giant iron cross tattoo on my forhead after a decade and a half because of this very issue.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1716 on: September 21, 2022, 06:44:46 PM »
I like the pointy baker shape. But does anyone make something similar with steep kicks or concave?

What size board do you ride?

Some of the shapes are the same across other BBS wood, some are not.

As with all BBS (and quite a few other woodshops) even between half a dozen of the same board, there are differences in concave as to where they were in the press, so some are going to feel steeper and some not so steep, from the 8.25, 8.38 and 8.5 sizes I have had pass through my hands.

I guess too it comes down to how a concave is felt, either in the angle of the kicks and or the cross width of the board, but both were different.

Finding a steeper version or a more mellow version is sometimes easier said than done, such as when I got half a dozen of each to compare and then put the steeper ones aside for someone who prefers that, kept the most mellow ones for myself and the rest went on the board wall.

If you were talking FA steep, then no there are not so many pointy boards in those concaves that I have seen, but the more "normal" popsicle shapes are fairly common across a number of different brands / woodshops.

A few older boards I had were ridiculously pointy and steep, like the Zoo York boards from a few years ago, but I don't think there is comparable current stock to say "Go find that board" as they are on different wood now.

I guess too it depends where you are, what you have access to in the way of local shops you can go into or even finding something to your liking in concave first, then seeing if that woodshop makes boards in dimensions you like.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1717 on: September 21, 2022, 07:08:50 PM »
anyone know what blank trucker hats dlx used to use? the old made in u.s.a. ones had my favorite fit.

I still have a box of old USA made DLX caps, but in going through them, there is no branding on them of who they used, besides the Made in USA across the snap back, but I feel like there was one or two even older ones that had a brand name across the inside of the snap back plastic so I went to dig them out and check.

Not sure if they were DLX caps, or Black Label / similar brands but some of these backs have this info:

Legend, Made in USA
K-Products, Orange City  800-369-4675

The more common option now that I have had quite a few of which are almost the same are the Yupoong trucker cap 6006 if I recall correctly.

https://www.capwholesalers.com/budget-caps-yupoong-flat-bill-classic-5-panel-truc

https://www.capwholesalers.com/yupoong-flat-bill-classic-5-panel-trucker-camo

Or this specific colourway which was the Grosso fav:

https://www.capwholesalers.com/yupoong-flat-billed-two-tone-trucker-cap

Even just looking through that is interesting in itself too:

https://www.capwholesalers.com/trucker-mesh-hats

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1718 on: September 21, 2022, 07:16:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If the pivot sits loosely in the pivot seat, I doubt you'll be able to permanently fix the issue. I started having the same problem with Indy when they moved to China, and no matter what cups I threw in there, the extra play would eventually make the pivot chew through it.
My longest lasting solutions was a cut down Krux pivot cup (they're too tall, but snug), and RipTide. You can get RipTide cups specifically for Mini Logo now, so it might be worth the investment. I, however, was forced to painfully lazer off the giant iron cross tattoo on my forhead after a decade and a half because of this very issue.

Krux might be the answer, the cost of RipTide bushings locally are the price of 1 ML truck!

I recall the last time I rode these the generic aftermarket bushing I had got chewed through after a few sessions.

Did I get a lemon truck or have other ML users experienced this too? I usually don't fuck with my trucks beyond washers along the axle, but the stock pivot cups were bad enough for me to post about it.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1719 on: September 21, 2022, 07:40:38 PM »
Why am I Shadow Banned from 9 club chat?

Why won't they use the music I sent like a decade ago?

They hate me. I barely remember Roger. Maybe I did something bad to him long ago? I doubt he'd remember me. I was introverted AF.

I remember when I got banned. I barely did anything. The show was still small and I was regular chatting. Tim had just arrived on the scene.

I think Tim hates slap too.

I made a budget or buttery song and everything too. I understand why they don't use that one because no one asked for that but the week after I sent the first 4 songs they said they was out of songs.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1720 on: September 21, 2022, 08:29:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What size board do you ride?

Some of the shapes are the same across other BBS wood, some are not.

As with all BBS (and quite a few other woodshops) even between half a dozen of the same board, there are differences in concave as to where they were in the press, so some are going to feel steeper and some not so steep, from the 8.25, 8.38 and 8.5 sizes I have had pass through my hands.

I guess too it comes down to how a concave is felt, either in the angle of the kicks and or the cross width of the board, but both were different.

Finding a steeper version or a more mellow version is sometimes easier said than done, such as when I got half a dozen of each to compare and then put the steeper ones aside for someone who prefers that, kept the most mellow ones for myself and the rest went on the board wall.

If you were talking FA steep, then no there are not so many pointy boards in those concaves that I have seen, but the more "normal" popsicle shapes are fairly common across a number of different brands / woodshops.

A few older boards I had were ridiculously pointy and steep, like the Zoo York boards from a few years ago, but I don't think there is comparable current stock to say "Go find that board" as they are on different wood now.

I guess too it depends where you are, what you have access to in the way of local shops you can go into or even finding something to your liking in concave first, then seeing if that woodshop makes boards in dimensions you like.

I tend to bounce between 8.25 and 8.38.
I like steeper kicks (nose and tail, similar to FA) but steeper concave does feel good.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

hayduke lives

• Rep: 35
« Reply #1721 on: September 21, 2022, 08:31:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I still have a box of old USA made DLX caps, but in going through them, there is no branding on them of who they used, besides the Made in USA across the snap back, but I feel like there was one or two even older ones that had a brand name across the inside of the snap back plastic so I went to dig them out and check.

Not sure if they were DLX caps, or Black Label / similar brands but some of these backs have this info:

Legend, Made in USA
K-Products, Orange City  800-369-4675

The more common option now that I have had quite a few of which are almost the same are the Yupoong trucker cap 6006 if I recall correctly.

https://www.capwholesalers.com/budget-caps-yupoong-flat-bill-classic-5-panel-truc

https://www.capwholesalers.com/yupoong-flat-bill-classic-5-panel-trucker-camo

Or this specific colourway which was the Grosso fav:

https://www.capwholesalers.com/yupoong-flat-billed-two-tone-trucker-cap

Even just looking through that is interesting in itself too:

https://www.capwholesalers.com/trucker-mesh-hats

much appreciated! i figured you would have some good info.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #1722 on: September 22, 2022, 06:41:12 PM »
Have rails made (or not made) a significant impact on anybody’s skating?  I had a set laying around for like a year that I just threw on my current setup.  Plan to spend some quality time on them this weekend.  I mostly skate curbs and ledges so I feel like it is somewhat inevitable to go in this direction but it does make the board feel bulky.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #1723 on: September 22, 2022, 06:51:42 PM »
Have rails made (or not made) a significant impact on anybody’s skating?  I had a set laying around for like a year that I just threw on my current setup.  Plan to spend some quality time on them this weekend.  I mostly skate curbs and ledges so I feel like it is somewhat inevitable to go in this direction but it does make the board feel bulky.
I put just one rail on so that I can do hurricane grinds. I put it on the toe side, but do hurricanes switch so I have to ride the board going forward while I’m switch. I don’t like two on at once but I like one a lot.

Kneesles

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1724 on: September 22, 2022, 08:15:43 PM »

I noticed the same issue when i first started riding ML trucks. The stock pivot cup was to hard for my liking as well so i threw some old stock indy pivot cups in and i haven't had a problem since. If the new aftermarket indy pivots are similar to the old ones they should fit like a glove.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1725 on: September 22, 2022, 09:31:40 PM »

Yes! I skate curbs a lot. I love boardslides a lot. I am not all that good at skating. The more predictable and stable slide that they offer is great IMO. They do make rock n rolls & such a bit more sketchy due to the slippiness but that’s a trade off I’m ok with. I don’t really notice the bulkiness but I’m not flipping my board much at all and I prefer a hefty pop anyway. I plan on running rails till infinity.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1726 on: September 23, 2022, 09:39:52 AM »

Yeah rails are great, especially for your type of skating. I have a dedicated curb set up with two rails, and an atv type board with one toe side rail. even one rail makes a huge difference in the consistency on your slides. my local has a terrible, sticky flatbar that's impossible to slide without a rail unless you wax it a ton. with one raiil i can just lean forward a bit and slide through it.

Rails do make your board sound pretty dead sometimes and definitely adds some weight, but i think the trade off is worth it, and I just keep a "street" board for flips and grinds if i want to get *~*tech*~*

Also, keeping the graphic clean is sort of nice if it's one you like

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #1727 on: September 23, 2022, 11:22:39 AM »
cons fastbreak sizing - tts or size up/down? i wear a 10.5 in 440s these days if it helps

edit: homie with same feetsies answered my question, ty @LebowskisRug

Let me introduce you to my friend Cons then- consistently confusing across all models. I sized down a full size for some CTAS, true to size for fastbreaks, up a half size for Louie's, then one stars down a half size depending on which model they were.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 12:54:01 PM by iw0 »

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #1728 on: September 23, 2022, 03:51:31 PM »

Update: we are rail people now

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1729 on: September 23, 2022, 04:16:28 PM »

hell yeah. nice placement too. remember to lean forward

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #1730 on: September 23, 2022, 06:40:04 PM »
Has anyone done a single rail down the center of the wheelbase?

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1731 on: September 23, 2022, 08:34:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

hell yeah. nice placement too. remember to lean forward
You can say that again!

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1732 on: September 23, 2022, 10:23:03 PM »
Anyone use a fitness tracker while skating? If so which one and which workout do you set it for?

A friend of mine runs and does marathons, claims he can burn 1200 calories during a 2 hour skate session. Wanted to test it out for myself.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1733 on: September 23, 2022, 11:45:42 PM »
Anyone use a fitness tracker while skating? If so which one and which workout do you set it for?

A friend of mine runs and does marathons, claims he can burn 1200 calories during a 2 hour skate session. Wanted to test it out for myself.

Yes. Apple Watch. I use the skateboarding workout on the Apple Watch fitness app and lately I’ve used the Sports Tracker app too. 1200 kcal on a 2 hour skate session sounds pretty normal to me if you’re going hard enough.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #1734 on: September 24, 2022, 01:50:56 AM »
Has anyone done a single rail down the center of the wheelbase?
Two rails on a little cruiser board. It was a friend's and they wanted to put rails on a zip zinger someone joked you might as well just put them right in the middle so they did. Made it really easy to do boardslide to feeble type tricks but risky because youre just boardsliding on an inch of plastic so if you accidentally drop to the toe or heel edge it's a big jolt.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #1735 on: September 24, 2022, 02:55:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes. Apple Watch. I use the skateboarding workout on the Apple Watch fitness app and lately I’ve used the Sports Tracker app too. 1200 kcal on a 2 hour skate session sounds pretty normal to me if you’re going hard enough.
I use a Apple watch too. Haven’t tried any third party apps, just the Fitness app on IOS.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1736 on: September 24, 2022, 06:14:49 AM »

Apple Watch here too. I always turn on the “skating” workout. Yesterday I skated some ledges for an hour and 20 minutes and it says “979 active calories, 1137 total calories.” I don’t know exactly what the kath is based on, but I did average 140bpm so.

Schinken

• Rep: 60
« Reply #1737 on: September 24, 2022, 06:58:02 AM »
Does anyone know, why almost every vert skater uses independent trucks? I suppose most of them ride tight trucks, so turning might not be the answer?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1738 on: September 24, 2022, 07:02:11 AM »
probably because they are the highest and offer more wheel clearance
geometry and the way they turn might be another reason
and add some marketing in the mix

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #1739 on: September 24, 2022, 07:28:32 AM »
Does anyone know, why almost every vert skater uses independent trucks? I suppose most of them ride tight trucks, so turning might not be the answer?

Because Indy is/was the only one caring to sponsor vert skaters