Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216461 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2250 on: December 22, 2022, 04:02:59 PM »
Expand Quote
:P
Expand Quote
Does anybody know about the Plan B Starwars reissues in Colin Mckay's story? ....sorry I didn't DM him like a man.
[close]
I just saw that also..out Xmas day. How they are not gonna get a C&D this time is beyond me....

Edit:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmdGLkqIq84/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=
[close]
Looks like only 100 of each. Doesn't a C&D typically mean "stop making them?" They've already stopped  ;D

Cease and Desist was back then as it is now, almost laughable given how quickly skateboard graphics cycled through back in the day.  These limited editions will as usual will most likely sell out very quickly, so by the time any C&D letter comes though, they have already stopped anyway and are long gone.

As to other issues or ongoing legal titles, most places and brands shrug them off as well, given there is not a lot of money in it really and the cost of legal action is more than what anyone will make back.

It would be different for big corporate companies to start using a logo or picture on repeat - all those other Element and Santa Cruz colabs with Star Wars are licensed and "legal", but are hardly worth looking at compared to the Plan B special editions.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Goggzy60

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #2251 on: December 23, 2022, 01:03:28 PM »
Anyone tried truck's from a company called Metal Truck Co. Daughters new complete came with them. Looked in routeone the seem a low price truck. Tried to Google them but nothing comes up.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2252 on: December 23, 2022, 03:59:12 PM »
@Mbrimson88 may have the scoop but from what I know they are an Australian only brand that copied Thunder. Rode a pair when I was there in holiday and they are pretty good, decent bushings and turn. Didn't meaure the WB extension or height, excellent value for the performance.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #2253 on: December 23, 2022, 05:01:57 PM »
Anyone happen to know what thread/page @Mbrimson88 posted his mini? Moving and need to cut mine down so the dogs can’t hop the fence. Seemed like they looked decent size/transition.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2254 on: December 23, 2022, 05:18:13 PM »
Anyone tried truck's from a company called Metal Truck Co. Daughters new complete came with them. Looked in routeone the seem a low price truck. Tried to Google them but nothing comes up.

@Mbrimson88 may have the scoop but from what I know they are an Australian only brand that copied Thunder. Rode a pair when I was there in holiday and they are pretty good, decent bushings and turn. Didn't meaure the WB extension or height, excellent value for the performance.

Yes, from an Australian distro, as their home brand, so to speak.

I have a few sets on boards that we use for lessons and they skate well.  Sort of like a Thunder copy, a little taller, decent clearance, turn and overall they skate well.  A few guys I know do use them and have had no issues with them and everything they put them through as well.  The combination is usually Metal trucks, Commodore bearings and Picture wheels, on completes or as a pack ready to put on any deck.

I was about to post and then thought I should actually post the link and info too:

https://www.chapter2dist.com/

We also supply Australian owned and run skateboard brands  Picture Wheel Co, Holiday Skateboards, Commodore Bearings, Chatsworth Grip & Metal Trucks.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2255 on: December 23, 2022, 05:20:05 PM »
Anyone happen to know what thread/page @Mbrimson88 posted his mini? Moving and need to cut mine down so the dogs can’t hop the fence. Seemed like they looked decent size/transition.

Ha yeah, sorry, had been a bit busy.

Sent you a quick link, but can provide any more info as needed.

I don't even remember where anything is I posted - was there a ramp thread?

I should go looking, but at least everything is up on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/brimosrampbuild/

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #2256 on: December 23, 2022, 06:41:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ha yeah, sorry, had been a bit busy.

Sent you a quick link, but can provide any more info as needed.

I don't even remember where anything is I posted - was there a ramp thread?

I should go looking, but at least everything is up on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/brimosrampbuild/

Thanks. I know you posted the spine and some others(all in the IG link, thanks again) just couldn’t for the life of me remember where.

Goggzy60

« Reply #2257 on: December 24, 2022, 03:08:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, from an Australian distro, as their home brand, so to speak.

I have a few sets on boards that we use for lessons and they skate well.  Sort of like a Thunder copy, a little taller, decent clearance, turn and overall they skate well.  A few guys I know do use them and have had no issues with them and everything they put them through as well.  The combination is usually Metal trucks, Commodore bearings and Picture wheels, on completes or as a pack ready to put on any deck.

I was about to post and then thought I should actually post the link and info too:

https://www.chapter2dist.com/

We also supply Australian owned and run skateboard brands  Picture Wheel Co, Holiday Skateboards, Commodore Bearings, Chatsworth Grip & Metal Trucks.

Been seeing them turn up in shops around the UK now might try the bairns set as her thunders are only 2 months old.

Lepanto

« Reply #2258 on: December 25, 2022, 11:20:21 AM »
This deck:
Quasi Skateboards - “99” 8.25
■ 8.25" x 32.375" WB 14.375"
■ Manufactured at PS Stix
■ Original Artwork by James Rönkkö

Somebody know how the shape is?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 11:31:46 AM by Le Flaute »

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #2259 on: December 26, 2022, 07:44:54 AM »
When do you guys like to retire shoes? Had a sesh yesterday that had me contemplating retiring my half cabs. They just feel dusted. But they look like they have a few more sessions and the collar is still stiff. But sole feels so floppy. What’s your cutoff point ?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #2260 on: December 26, 2022, 07:55:55 AM »
When do you guys like to retire shoes? Had a sesh yesterday that had me contemplating retiring my half cabs. They just feel dusted. But they look like they have a few more sessions and the collar is still stiff. But sole feels so floppy. What’s your cutoff point ?

When I can see part of the insole or even my socks, everything else is just wasteful

manysnakes

« Reply #2261 on: December 26, 2022, 08:53:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

When I can see part of the insole or even my socks, everything else is just wasteful

I was like this for years but lately I have noticed that my feet will be killing me a few sessions before they’re completely worn, so this year, for the first time I stopped cobbling them together (get it?!) and started swapping them out when they cause discomfort. Mostly Vans, fwiw.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2262 on: December 26, 2022, 10:18:03 AM »

When there’s a hole in the sole. Uppers I can fix but soles I don’t care to even try anymore.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2263 on: December 26, 2022, 04:45:33 PM »

I tend to have a few pairs, so some are well worn, some moderately used and some very new.

Depending on the session or what is going on, I will choose shoes accordingly, but the more mellow chilled sessions are when I wear the most well used, with the longer or full days getting the more moderately used or newer shoes.

A long time ago I would wear them til they fell off, but when one was so thin I busted my big toe due to the shoe being so thin and worn out, I tend not to skate them to death any more.

Keeping some for round the house / yard shoes before they get holes right through the sole is good too, but sometimes I end up with too many pairs.

There always seems like there is someone out there who needs even a little more in the shoe department, so leaving some at a park or passing on to others works well for other people I know too.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #2264 on: December 26, 2022, 05:09:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Keeping some for round the house / yard shoes before they get holes right through the sole is good too, but sometimes I end up with too many pairs.

I’m definitely guilty of keeping a pair for shit jobs, but wearing the most busted-ass shoes possible when you actually should be have a little protection or traction is no bueno.  Nice for drywall and interior paint, though.

burner

• Rep: 94
« Reply #2265 on: December 26, 2022, 05:24:19 PM »
This deck:

It’s classic Quasi shape. Mellow concave, tapered to kicks, comfortable wheelbase, and length is measured with the kicks (so it’s normal length, just under 32 by BBS measure).

If you’ve skate PS, then this will be a treat. If you skate BBS, this will be a shock.

I love skating the 8.75 shape, but its easy to size down in PS Quasi because the shapes are the same (basically) and just changes the width.

There’s obviously really polarised views with PS on Slap - kinda a love and hate situation. Me, I love them, my favourite handsdown.

What do you normally skate?

lildonut92

• Rep: 12
« Reply #2266 on: December 26, 2022, 05:33:31 PM »
What causes cupsoles to be less grippy than vulcs? Is it possible to make them just as grippy?

Asking because I love how a vulcanized sole grips. But I need the support of a cupsole. I’m talking real support. Foam midsole.

You would think that the technology exists to make this happen.

manysnakes

« Reply #2267 on: December 26, 2022, 07:10:36 PM »
What causes cupsoles to be less grippy than vulcs? Is it possible to make them just as grippy?

Asking because I love how a vulcanized sole grips. But I need the support of a cupsole. I’m talking real support. Foam midsole.

You would think that the technology exists to make this happen.

I think the AVEs are this shoe exactly but ymmv.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2268 on: December 26, 2022, 07:51:44 PM »

I'll Shoe Goo them until the soles have gone bald or have holes in them. Maybe earlier if the shoe loses grip and I'm skating a smooth park.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Banned from the room

« Reply #2269 on: December 26, 2022, 09:10:27 PM »
Anyone got any movies or docs or whatever.

I'm getting bummed at my tv and I need background stimulation of worth while I do chores tomorrow all day.

All fucking day.

Perhaps a dope audio book series on YouTube or whatever

I like sci-fi fancy but will watch or listen to most anything that has not to do with skating at this point.

manysnakes

« Reply #2270 on: December 26, 2022, 09:18:21 PM »

I'm getting bummed at my tv and I need background stimulation of worth while I do chores tomorrow all day.

All fucking day.

I like sci-fi fancy but will watch or listen to most anything that has not to do with skating at this point.

Three Body Problem

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2271 on: December 26, 2022, 10:16:22 PM »
Explore With Us and JCS - Criminal Psychology are good to have on in the background if you like real life crime drama, takes an interesting look at the psychology of criminals and how their stories fall apart with increasing scrutiny.

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

burner

« Reply #2272 on: December 27, 2022, 12:09:49 AM »

All fucking day.

This probably isn’t what your asking for, but I just rewatched the movie The Hidden (1987) sci-fi action, and it was a good time.

Lepanto

« Reply #2273 on: December 27, 2022, 12:41:47 AM »
Expand Quote
This deck:

[close]

It’s classic Quasi shape. Mellow concave, tapered to kicks, comfortable wheelbase, and length is measured with the kicks (so it’s normal length, just under 32 by BBS measure).

If you’ve skate PS, then this will be a treat. If you skate BBS, this will be a shock.

I love skating the 8.75 shape, but its easy to size down in PS Quasi because the shapes are the same (basically) and just changes the width.

There’s obviously really polarised views with PS on Slap - kinda a love and hate situation. Me, I love them, my favourite handsdown.

Thanks, you the man!
What do you mean with tapered on the kick? it mean the tail nose is pointy like baker for example?

Right now i am skating a 8,25 og logo og mellow shape, really really good deck, but honestly the only point it doesnt really convince me (just as stetick but is a really important to me) is the pointy tail/nose, i prefer fuller shape like for example april or the shape 2 of hockey (shovel) maybe FA

I only got decks manufactured by BBS but would like to try that psstix decks and ofc quasi and gx1000 are my choices

burner

« Reply #2274 on: December 27, 2022, 01:12:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This deck:

[close]

[close]

Thanks, you the man!
What do you mean with tapered on the kick? it mean the tail nose is pointy like baker for example?

Right now i am skating a 8,25 og logo og mellow shape, really really good deck, but honestly the only point it doesnt really convince me (just as stetick but is a really important to me) is the pointy tail/nose, i prefer fuller shape like for example april or the shape 2 of hockey (shovel) maybe FA

I only got decks manufactured by BBS but would like to try that psstix decks and ofc quasi and gx1000 are my choices

If possible, def pop into a shop and check out the Quasi PS in person, that’s the best way. Quasi also have BBS in their line up, twin tail and others, and people that are stoked on Quasi shapes but prefer BBS are sorted too (easy to tell PS by the PS engraving on top).

PS uses some slightly thinner plys, so this results in a slightly lighter board and more flex (what the professor calls “give and give back”). Some people are used to this and love it, and when they skate BBS it feels heavy and too stiff, but you get used to it (BBS is unquestionably top wood and it’s what most people skate, so that is undeniable).  If you only skate BBS and go to PS, it may feel too flex and not as snappy (often people complain it’s soggy). I skate PS mostly and this isn’t my experience, even when setting up wood that has sat on the deck pile for literally years. But I guess it all comes down to personal preference, what you like, and probably most importantly, what you’re used too. I think often skaters give up on new product too quickly and don’t give their body time to adjust and get the most out of it (whether it’s diff trucks, decks, wheels etc), I’d say at least try it, give it a chance, then you’ll know and can speak from your own experience.

No, not pointy, that’s not it. I mean the deck tapers down at the front and back bolts by about 1/4”, it’s not really visually noticeable but makes the board more manoeuvrable, flip easier etc. So a 8.25 will taper to an 8 by the back bolts for example. The tail is pretty standard shape, the nose is rounder than a reg Baker, and really not that different to DLX, but maybe a bit spoonier. But it’s not as shovel as FA/Hockey imo, way less steep than them, and much mellower concave.

That’s about it man, I’d say try it, maybe you’ll like it, maybe not, bu at least you can talk from your experience and know the difference for yourself. Happy skating, mate. 8)

Here a few threads about what the homies think…..

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=111000.0

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=119530.msg3688506#msg3688506
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 01:24:40 AM by burner »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2275 on: December 27, 2022, 11:06:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This deck:

[close]

[close]

Thanks, you the man!

It's not the classic Quasi shape- it's longer WB and less square. It feels like a slightly shorter DLX 8.25 but made by PS. They have another 8.25 shape that is 14.25 and square as well as the proto shape which also adds a taper towards the rear.

They have also recently added a BBS 8.25 which is like a slightly less square but still full FA but with 14.25, an 8.25 BBS with a 14" WB that is mostly a Gilbert deck, as well as a twin tail. Their site is always an accurate guide as to which is which once you know the dimensions.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 842
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #2276 on: December 27, 2022, 02:54:37 PM »
I remember a video (maybe it was a Palace vid)
Someone did a fakie heelflip fakie manny and Chew Cannon ( I believe) says “HENRY SANCHEZZZ”… any clue what vid that is? 

Banned from the room

« Reply #2277 on: December 27, 2022, 03:28:24 PM »
Expand Quote

All fucking day.

[close]

This probably isn’t what your asking for, but I just rewatched the movie The Hidden (1987) sci-fi action, and it was a good time.

Thanks pal. I should have added that any hidden jem from the 80s will do it..

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #2278 on: December 27, 2022, 04:13:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

All fucking day.

[close]

[close]

Thanks pal. I should have added that any hidden jem from the 80s will do it..

absolutely do -not- watch the sequel

burner

« Reply #2279 on: December 28, 2022, 07:35:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This deck:

[close]

[close]

Thanks, you the man!

[close]

It's not the classic Quasi shape- it's longer WB and less square. It feels like a slightly shorter DLX 8.25 but made by PS. They have another 8.25 shape that is 14.25 and square as well as the proto shape which also adds a taper towards the rear.

They have also recently added a BBS 8.25 which is like a slightly less square but still full FA but with 14.25, an 8.25 BBS with a 14" WB that is mostly a Gilbert deck, as well as a twin tail. Their site is always an accurate guide as to which is which once you know the dimensions.

Dude, really? You think if this homie is gonna buy the Quasi, he's gonna be thinking, shit, it's just a shorter DLX? for real?

Not for me man, that's not my experience skating them - it felt like a...Quasi, so I'm gonna just call it classic Quasi because it felt and skated like a Quasi (just like a Girl is like a Girl, or 917 etc regardless of wheelbase and dimensions).

Yes the two diff 8.25 have different wheelbase but the wood is same, concave is same, tail same, taper same, nose almost same (which I already said in my post you didn't quote) just one deck slightly longer for the longer wheelbase. That's my personal experience skating the two shapes. The biggest thing that this pal will notice is the PS, as he's never skated it, so that's down to preference (as I also highlighted in detail in my post you didn't quote). Nevermind, anyway whatever.

You can disagree but that's just your opinion, man! ;D ;D ;D

....I mean you thought Gino and Dill have always skated Venture (and Gino skated Thunder and Indy, and Dill hasn't skated Venture for a decade)....so there's that..... ;D

Gino and Dill were always on Ventures.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 07:42:48 AM by burner »