Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216695 times)

Nacho Maildrop

Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2760 on: March 08, 2023, 12:30:32 PM »
Are Thunder and Venture currently the only trucks that are cast in North America?

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #2761 on: March 08, 2023, 12:45:56 PM »
Are Thunder and Venture currently the only trucks that are cast in North America?

gullwing shadow
https://www.tactics.com/gullwing/shadow-dlx-skateboard-trucks/silver

tracker says "hand built in the USA" which probably just means assembled in the USA
 https://selectskateshop.com/collections/tracker-trucks/products/tracker-trucks-axis-161mm-set

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #2762 on: March 08, 2023, 01:21:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

gullwing shadow
https://www.tactics.com/gullwing/shadow-dlx-skateboard-trucks/silver

tracker says "hand built in the USA" which probably just means assembled in the USA
 https://selectskateshop.com/collections/tracker-trucks/products/tracker-trucks-axis-161mm-set

Thanks! Not trying to get of Indy/Ace, was just super curious.

vicious cycle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #2763 on: March 08, 2023, 05:28:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
If you wuould measure your wheels and 3 of them are a hair over 52 but 1 is already a hair under 51, where would you put it when you rotate them? Atm it's the back truck heel side one
[close]

Biggest wheel goes on the toeside back, second largest on the heelside back. The two smallest go up front. I don't think it matters which side.
[close]

Agreed, but it usually depends on how a person skates too.  A lot of slides or really pushing into things can wear wheels unevenly, but for the most part, when changing around wheels, the smallest wheel always goes on the front heel side for me as that wears out the least.  Front toe can wear more just on the outside edge, as can the back toe a bit, but the back heel usually wears from the inside.  The back always wears down faster overall than the front.

Is there any noticeable coning on any of them?

Also helps if the wheels are symmetrical so if needed you can flip one or more over if they start coning or wear unevenly but are still of a size to leave them in the same position on the board.
Thanks! Yeah there is a little coning going on. I gonna rotate them like suggested by jimgrude and also flip them.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2764 on: March 08, 2023, 07:07:48 PM »

And even then someone had said they are moving everything to Mexico soon enough, in line with other DLX manufacturing.

Not a worry to me, but I guess production at Ermico just became unviable for whatever reason, like a lot of things, so to keep costs down and prices not too high, that was the next step.

I can't recall which thread that was in, Truck thread, Venture or Thunder thread most likely, but that's ok.  Not really any crazy groundbreaking info to go with it, more just a point of interest.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #2765 on: March 08, 2023, 11:49:39 PM »
Why not more brands do that impact light stuff?

Seems pretty cool to have light decks that don’t break to easy and the price is just average.

Really thinking about trying one. Flipping into board and lipslide tricks on rails without breaking them sounds pretty good to me and I don’t get why I should get a normal board for the same price or even higher price when this really works.

It’s always the exact same shape too.

Never skated one, but how is this not superior to average decks?
Seriously interested in that question.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2766 on: March 09, 2023, 02:04:37 AM »

Seems pretty cool to have light decks that don’t break to easy and the price is just average.

Really thinking about trying one. Flipping into board and lipslide tricks on rails without breaking them sounds pretty good to me and I don’t get why I should get a normal board for the same price or even higher price when this really works.

Most of them are very specific in terms of support, eg some have the impact areas just round the trucks, others only right down the middle, some others are supported on top but not underneath, so boards can still break way more easily than some people might think.

I recall the number of all that sort of board that have come back broken to go for warranty and then been denied because the board still broke when the skater just landed too heavily on the wrong part of the board, which there wasn't really anything to do besides offer them a discount on their next board or just wear their unhappiness or whatever.

As to the price, I thought that any of those impact type boards were still a fair bit higher in price than a normal seven ply wood deck, but I haven't really looked at any for ages, or at least not since leaving the shop that used to get a lot of them in.

They don't seem that much more than other normal boards from looking at this lot:

https://almostskateboards.com/collections/impact-light

I guess I was thinking more of this one, at $119.95 which is about twice the price of a normal board:

https://almostskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/mullen-uber-expanded-silver-8-25-skateboard-deck

manysnakes

« Reply #2767 on: March 09, 2023, 05:59:55 AM »

A few makers and brands of skateboards have noticed that it's difficult-to-impossible to get skaters to stop skating 7-ply maple decks, and of course, destroying a deck is an important part of their business.

IpathCats

« Reply #2768 on: March 09, 2023, 06:12:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Most of them are very specific in terms of support, eg some have the impact areas just round the trucks, others only right down the middle, some others are supported on top but not underneath, so boards can still break way more easily than some people might think.

I recall the number of all that sort of board that have come back broken to go for warranty and then been denied because the board still broke when the skater just landed too heavily on the wrong part of the board, which there wasn't really anything to do besides offer them a discount on their next board or just wear their unhappiness or whatever.

As to the price, I thought that any of those impact type boards were still a fair bit higher in price than a normal seven ply wood deck, but I haven't really looked at any for ages, or at least not since leaving the shop that used to get a lot of them in.

They don't seem that much more than other normal boards from looking at this lot:

I guess I was thinking more of this one, at $119.95 which is about twice the price of a normal board:

https://almostskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/mullen-uber-expanded-silver-8-25-skateboard-deck

Yea the impact lights were sick and were only $5-$10 more expensive than regular decks usually. I got them on sale a lot back in the day. The first 8.5 i ever rode was a haslam impact light.

The dwindle resin construction lasted longer for me than any other board i really liked it. The carbon inserts only improved my experience. I would buy these boards if they made one in a shape i liked with the right dimensions.

edit: that plain green youness one is fucking CALLING me. i cant do that short of a WB though =[

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #2769 on: March 09, 2023, 06:49:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yea the impact lights were sick and were only $5-$10 more expensive than regular decks usually. I got them on sale a lot back in the day. The first 8.5 i ever rode was a haslam impact light.

The dwindle resin construction lasted longer for me than any other board i really liked it. The carbon inserts only improved my experience. I would buy these boards if they made one in a shape i liked with the right dimensions.

edit: that plain green youness one is fucking CALLING me. i cant do that short of a WB though =[

Goddamn that looks nice. Which is super fucking weird to be saying about an almost board.
I also like the length.
I won’t, but I would.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #2770 on: March 09, 2023, 05:23:06 PM »
How do I properly get my feet measured? Podiatrist? Running shoe store? My Brannock size is 2.5 sizes above what I currently wear and my left foot is 1 size larger than my right foot. Even when I try to go up half a size, I get terrible heel slip.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2771 on: March 09, 2023, 05:34:02 PM »
How do I properly get my feet measured? Podiatrist? Running shoe store? My Brannock size is 2.5 sizes above what I currently wear and my left foot is 1 size larger than my right foot. Even when I try to go up half a size, I get terrible heel slip.

Even between some shoe brands, some will run big, others run small, so finding what works best in terms of specific shoes, not just one particular brand, is going to be the best thing to do, so either spend a while trying on a lot of different shoes in any place that has a good range, including whatever size you might usually go for, a size down or even a size up, just to see.

If you are in USA or other places that have half sizes you might be more in luck with finding something that works better for you.

Here we only have whole sizes, so getting something that fit exactly was a pain, but one thing I did learn to do with shoes that were just a bit snug was get a shoe stretcher and stretch them out, as well as widen the toe area for a specific ingrown toe nail issue on one foot.

Using a shoe stretcher on whatever shoe for your larger foot might work better than trying to get shoes that are either going to be too big on one foot just to fit the other, or struggling with other issues.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2772 on: March 09, 2023, 05:50:59 PM »

I would definitely recommend going to a running store. A podiatrist sounds like a good call as well.
Full stop.
Opinion for rando time:
Size to your larger foot.
 Look up heel-lock lacing.
Further opinion and admonishing- who gives a fuck about heel slip! Compared to chronic foot and then back pain!? Get used to wearing a larger shoe.

But for real try a jogging store they see lots of bodies and have helped me and family members greatly, and for cheap. Big problems call for the doctors and it’s worth it. We spend a lot of time on the feet

Best of luck

Pasta Monster

« Reply #2773 on: March 09, 2023, 06:13:53 PM »
Thanks for the advice, guys. I’m checking out a running store tomorrow, and I’ll also get a referral for a podiatrist after starting physical therapy. Maybe, they’ll give me a good answer to whether go for the larger size or if I should stretch out the left one, in terms of skate shoes.

It’s pretty stupid of me to not size up for fear of loss of flip tricks, when my fear should be having feet that look like Jaws’.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #2774 on: March 09, 2023, 06:27:02 PM »
Mellowish concave/kicks anyone? Coming off an Enjoi with nice medium mellow concave but the kicks were a bit steep. Just got a cheap Magenta team board but I forgot that I don't really like the bbs 'moderate' concave shapes. I hate that feeling of stepping on a board and immediately feeling uncomfortable.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #2775 on: March 09, 2023, 08:27:10 PM »
I’m pushin April today, mellow kicks mellow concave, fullish shapes

Edit: though they might be considered bbs moderate concave.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2776 on: March 10, 2023, 02:02:00 AM »
—————
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 01:12:48 AM by SlapMcKracken »

El Freegano

• Rep: 219
« Reply #2777 on: March 10, 2023, 03:34:36 AM »
Mellowish concave/kicks anyone? Coming off an Enjoi with nice medium mellow concave but the kicks were a bit steep. Just got a cheap Magenta team board but I forgot that I don't really like the bbs 'moderate' concave shapes. I hate that feeling of stepping on a board and immediately feeling uncomfortable.
A friend yesterday gave me one sk8 mafia deck (HLC made) and it has mellow concave and kicks. I also have one sour (HLC again) that is kind of mellow/medium (i think their mellowest shape is S4). And the best mellow tail and cocave i had on ps scum co 2 years ago, so may be WKND, Snack, Quasi would do the job (although some have pretty steep nose). And a lot of people have said Toy/Foundation are one of the flatest. Check some pics here https://r-fskate.com

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2778 on: March 10, 2023, 03:40:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
A friend yesterday gave me one sk8 mafia deck (HLC made) and it has mellow concave and kicks. I also have one sour (HLC again) that is kind of mellow/medium (i think their mellowest shape is S4). And the best mellow tail and cocave i had on ps scum co 2 years ago, so may be WKND, Snack, Quasi would do the job (although some have pretty steep nose). And a lot of people have said Toy/Foundation are one of the flatest. Check some pics here https://r-fskate.com

I found the Element boards from HLC / BBS / China to be medium mellow, tapered kicks on most sizes.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

IpathCats

« Reply #2779 on: March 10, 2023, 06:20:54 AM »
Has anyone ridden the 8.37 palace shape with the 14.84 wheelbase? Is that wheelbase measurement accurate? I really want to try one if so, but that seems crazy for a board thats 31.13 long wan to make sure its not a typo/joke/they measured from the other side of the holes or something.

edit: this is the specific one im looking at https://shop-usa.palaceskateboards.com/products/4wu1jp0bubpm
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 10:29:12 AM by IpathCats »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2780 on: March 10, 2023, 11:56:28 AM »
Has anyone ridden the 8.37 palace shape with the 14.84 wheelbase? Is that wheelbase measurement accurate? I really want to try one if so, but that seems crazy for a board thats 31.13 long wan to make sure its not a typo/joke/they measured from the other side of the holes or something.

edit: this is the specific one im looking at https://shop-usa.palaceskateboards.com/products/4wu1jp0bubpm

I like short nose and tail so I’d be hyped

grapes

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2781 on: March 10, 2023, 01:49:03 PM »

I picked one up wanting to try the short deck long wheelbase, but it was not as short as listed. I’ll dig it up and post the measurements

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2782 on: March 10, 2023, 03:47:56 PM »
Anyone can explain to me which iphone (13 pro ) settings you would use for filming skate videos?

Absolute noob here. Hdr? High efficiency or most compatible?

1080p? 4K?

Hd?4k?

I don’t know anything about this.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2254
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2783 on: March 10, 2023, 06:57:25 PM »
Anyone can explain to me which iphone (13 pro ) settings you would use for filming skate videos?

1080p? 4K?

Hd?4k?

I actually have no idea whatsoever, but I’d bet some of the heads over on this “child board” dedicated to the topic might be able to hook you up w/ the knowledge you seek.
Check it out.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?board=31.0

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2784 on: March 11, 2023, 01:16:33 AM »
Expand Quote

1080p? 4K?

Hd?4k?

[close]
I actually have no idea whatsoever, but I’d bet some of the heads over on this “child board” dedicated to the topic might be able to hook you up w/ the knowledge you seek.
Check it out.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?board=31.0

Oh wow, didn’t know that this existed! Thx!

Banned from the room

« Reply #2785 on: March 11, 2023, 07:07:49 AM »
How do you sue your doctor after your dead?

I'm losing my cool.

I had chest pain and lost all power to my body. Helpless like a new born baby.

He said how about we restart your psych meds? I was like NO NO NEVER AGAIN!

He said why do you think you're having a heart attack?

I said I was on 265 mg of methadone for 8/14 years

I had endocarditis 2x....

Wait you had endocarditis?

I just went fuck. I'm going to die.

I could no longer hear his words from that point on

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2786 on: March 11, 2023, 05:43:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I picked one up wanting to try the short deck long wheelbase, but it was not as short as listed. I’ll dig it up and post the measurements

The 8.375 - 8.38 size is one that a lot of people skate, but I had never wanted to get that Palace board if the wheelbase was really 14.84 and I always thought that was a typo.

Is it really that long, or is it more just 14.48 or something?

Not a big deal really as they are usually more on the expensive side and not a brand I would usually buy for myself or anyone I know, but I always wondered about it and had never seen one in person.

For reference, the DLX 8.5 with 14.75 wb or even another board brand that has 8.75 with 15" wheelbase are a good overall length with normal kicks but they are both 32.5 or more long.  The only board I have seen with 14.75 or bigger wheelbase that is under 32 was a cruiser board and both kicks were so short it wasn't really an option as a normal board, especially the nose, but that is just my observations.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #2787 on: March 11, 2023, 10:56:55 PM »
Has anyone ever dyed a pair of skate shoes with wearable results? Obviously the fucked up colors are always the cheapest so I've been wondering if it'd be possible to dye them into something that isn't hideous...
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2788 on: March 12, 2023, 05:05:59 AM »
Has anyone ever dyed a pair of skate shoes with wearable results? Obviously the fucked up colors are always the cheapest so I've been wondering if it'd be possible to dye them into something that isn't hideous...

There was a time there when it seemed every other pair of shoes was messed with in some way, but I think the most wearable results were from either liquid shoe polish on suede material, or just plain old spray paint on whatever material including leather, suede and canvas.  Black only in my case.

The ollie or wear areas returned to whatever colour they were as the paint / outer layer wore off, but that sort of looked ok on some of the shoes anyway.

I have taped round the white trim and just given the upper a good dose of matt black spray a few times in recent years and it turned out pretty well, sometimes giving them a touch up if I really needed it.

As for using dye, yes it does work if the shoe hasn't been treated with a colour fast finish or waterproofer, but it would then be a good idea to use a dye fix so you don't get dye running through your socks and dye your feet every other time you sweat a bit when skating in them.

This link should help:

https://www.ritdye.com/dye-your-shoes/

There are a ton of "How to dye your shoes" links and videos from google too.  I didn't watch it but this one comes up first with a few different searches:

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 820
« Reply #2789 on: March 12, 2023, 05:23:25 AM »
How do you sue your doctor after your dead?

I'm losing my cool.

I had chest pain and lost all power to my body. Helpless like a new born baby.

He said how about we restart your psych meds? I was like NO NO NEVER AGAIN!

He said why do you think you're having a heart attack?

I said I was on 265 mg of methadone for 8/14 years

I had endocarditis 2x....

Wait you had endocarditis?

I just went fuck. I'm going to die.

I could no longer hear his words from that point on

You ok mate?