Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 206137 times)

slappyjoes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 38
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2880 on: March 19, 2023, 06:57:26 PM »
Anyone know another brand that has the same or similar shape as frog. I really like the shape but not to common to find

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 94
« Reply #2881 on: March 19, 2023, 06:59:10 PM »
Anyone know another brand that has the same or similar shape as frog. I really like the shape but not to common to find

What’s the frog shape like?

slappyjoes

• Rep: 38
« Reply #2882 on: March 19, 2023, 07:06:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What’s the frog shape like?

I got a 8.25 x 32 with a 14 25 wb. The kicks a round kinda like a krooked but the tail and nose a longer

Boog

• Rep: 194
« Reply #2883 on: March 20, 2023, 03:58:19 AM »
Theories has similar shapes. Or picture show.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2884 on: March 20, 2023, 07:02:22 AM »
8.25 x 14.25 seems pretty standard for all BBS brands... Zero and Primitive also run that size for example. I think DLX brands all offer those standard sizes but also a hell of a lot more from what I have seen in the most recent catalogs from Anti Hero and Krooked. for example Krooked has a board just over 8" with a 8.38" wheelbase... that seems so silly to me but maybe someone out there really likes that. someone really tall who likes small boards i guess.

from what I have seen, the main thing seperating BBS brands is how they like to cut the nose/tail.  FA/Hockey I know offers just 2 variations of shapes to not be too confusing and make online ordering easier. Shape 1 is the one that everyone started copying with very full / square nose/tails. Now they have shape 2 which is basically the standard pointy popsicle that most people still ride. I think in this case you need to go to a skate shop if you are really that picky on the agressiveness of the cut. or else just take a gamble on different brands that you like if you are stuck ordering online.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1226
« Reply #2885 on: March 20, 2023, 11:59:34 AM »
lol

bitchmade bearings

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #2886 on: March 20, 2023, 12:38:12 PM »
Is the darkroom 8.25 the standard bbs 8.25 shape?
My darkroom deck label says: 8.25 x 32; Tail 6.5875; Nose 6.875. (Who tf needs more than 2 decimal places accuracy here. As if that's even possible on the manufacturing side...)
I like it a lot, perfect taper on the tail in my opinion

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1018
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2887 on: March 20, 2023, 04:48:19 PM »
My darkroom deck label says: 8.25 x 32; Tail 6.5875; Nose 6.875. (Who tf needs more than 2 decimal places accuracy here. As if that's even possible on the manufacturing side...)

Ha yeah, sometimes they get almost too deep in numbers, but overall I would be looking at the fractions, like someone else said, as it all comes down to simple fractions, which don't really equate well to decimal places, eg 6 and 7/8ths is 6.875

But as you said those dimensions seem pretty standard for a BBS board.

I looked it up and it is 8.25 x 32 with 14.25 wb so that is about the go to, maybe a touch longer than some other BBS 8.25 boards which are often a little more like 31.85 or so, but I prefer longer tails anyway.

As to the shape, I didn't see any very specific pics, but the stock pics on shop listings look like a normal popsicle.

https://worldofwheelcraft.com.au/products/darkroom-beowulf-8-25-skateboard-deck

8.25" wide
14.25" wheelbase
6.5875" tail
6.875" nose
32" length

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #2888 on: March 20, 2023, 05:41:56 PM »
I dunno....I think I've seen some advertisements.....'now with more decimal points!'  Seems like a good marketing ploy around here at least....

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 94
« Reply #2889 on: March 20, 2023, 06:00:51 PM »
This reminds me the other day I measured some of my decks on ice and my FA 8.18 was more narrow than my 8.125 decks, mostly Polar decks.

And most of the decks measured differently at the front truck holes and the back truck holes. 

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2890 on: March 20, 2023, 08:42:44 PM »

It is funny how the inch to cm conversion is almost non existent in skateboarding though.

The few shops that do measure in cm / mm always get me and I have to google the conversion tool to check measurements.

Imagine if I said I rode a board that was 820 x 216 with a 368 wheelbase (32.3 x 8.5 with 14.5 wb).

Conversion:

8.25" wide  =  210 mm
14.25" wheelbase  =  362 mm
6.5875" tail  =  167 mm
6.875" nose  =  175 mm
32" length  =  813 mm

* rounded to the nearest mm

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2891 on: March 20, 2023, 11:36:52 PM »

It is funny how the inch to cm conversion is almost non existent in skateboarding though.

The few shops that do measure in cm / mm always get me and I have to google the conversion tool to check measurements.

Imagine if I said I rode a board that was 820 x 216 with a 368 wheelbase (32.3 x 8.5 with 14.5 wb).

Conversion:

8.25" wide  =  210 mm
6.5875" tail  =  167 mm
6.875" nose  =  175 mm
32" length  =  813 mm

On the other hand it‘s normal to measure wheels in millimeters. I always pondered, why come?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2892 on: March 21, 2023, 02:36:19 AM »
Expand Quote

Conversion:

8.25" wide  =  210 mm
6.5875" tail  =  167 mm
6.875" nose  =  175 mm
32" length  =  813 mm

[close]

On the other hand it‘s normal to measure wheels in millimeters. I always pondered, why come?

Decks all in inches
Risers almost all in inches, some in mm
Trucks mixed, some 144 mm, others 5.6 inches
Wheels all in mm
Bolts in inches
Grip in inches 9 x 33 is the most common size of grip

Bearings - n/a

Anything else?

Shoes in US size, cm and in EU sizes

Pants in both, eg 34" or 87 cm waist

I guess it is just one of those things hey!?!

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #2893 on: March 21, 2023, 05:48:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Conversion:

8.25" wide  =  210 mm
6.5875" tail  =  167 mm
6.875" nose  =  175 mm
32" length  =  813 mm

[close]

[close]

Decks all in inches
Wheels all in mm
Bolts in inches

Bearings - n/a

Anything else?

Maybe just because this would look really stupid ;) .

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2894 on: March 21, 2023, 06:11:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Conversion:

8.25" wide  =  210 mm
6.5875" tail  =  167 mm
6.875" nose  =  175 mm
32" length  =  813 mm

[close]

[close]

Decks all in inches
Wheels all in mm
Bolts in inches

Bearings - n/a

Anything else?

[close]

Maybe just because this would look really stupid ;) .

You could be right.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2895 on: March 21, 2023, 07:43:09 AM »
i think wheels in mm because it requires a little more precision. we didnt start skateboard decks in anything besides 1/2" so it wasn't a big deal. if you work with a lot of fasteners you learn pretty quickly what all the decimal number equivalents are. sometimes they will do just a 1/16 so thats where you get those stupidly long decimal places usually. its just hard to write out like 8-9/16" on a phone / message board / online etc. so thats why we use more decimal places now.

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 44
« Reply #2896 on: March 21, 2023, 09:25:46 AM »
Would you recommend Hopps wheels? I’ve found those Hopps Keep it moving wheels for a good price but I prefer asking Slap experts first.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #2897 on: March 21, 2023, 10:02:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Conversion:

8.25" wide  =  210 mm
6.5875" tail  =  167 mm
6.875" nose  =  175 mm
32" length  =  813 mm

[close]

[close]

Decks all in inches
Wheels all in mm
Bolts in inches

Bearings - n/a

Anything else?

Bearings are measured in mm. All skateboard bearings are 8mm (inner race).

The only time it would matter is if you come across a few really old roller skate models (I don't remember which one) that use 7mm bearings (b/c 7mm axle), but I really doubt you would unless you're actively looking for it.

emotional_degloving

« Reply #2898 on: March 21, 2023, 10:24:36 AM »
Yo, has anyone tried any Woodchuck Laminates decks yet? Decks are getting very fuckin expensive and at least where I live the regular price of a Death deck is pretty much akin to a deck that's been on sale.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 309
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #2899 on: March 21, 2023, 10:47:14 AM »
Yo, has anyone tried any Woodchuck Laminates decks yet? Decks are getting very fuckin expensive and at least where I live the regular price of a Death deck is pretty much akin to a deck that's been on sale.
plenty of brands run the mystery box deals with 2-3 decks coming out at $30-40/deck. Crailtap, Primitive, Baker/Deathwish, The Killing Floor, etc. Crailtap and Primitive are pretty consistent on running the deal multiple times throughout the year

emotional_degloving

« Reply #2900 on: March 21, 2023, 02:06:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
plenty of brands run the mystery box deals with 2-3 decks coming out at $30-40/deck. Crailtap, Primitive, Baker/Deathwish, The Killing Floor, etc. Crailtap and Primitive are pretty consistent on running the deal multiple times throughout the year

Appreciate the response dude, but I live in the UK and those deals are usually exclusively United States based, or have shipping charges that I can't pay without selling my one healthy kidney.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2901 on: March 21, 2023, 03:51:46 PM »

The Woodshop thread has a bit of info on them:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.0

Basically some people love their boards and some not so much.

Personal opinion comes into it way more than quality of the boards, but some of those that I have stood on or seen over the years seemed like decent enough boards.

If they are a good price, when cost is a big factor in it, try one and see.

Whether or not you can see or stand on one in person to feel them out, then really know what you are dealing with, may or may not help the situation too.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2902 on: March 21, 2023, 04:02:02 PM »

Bearings are measured in mm. All skateboard bearings are 8mm (inner race).

The only time it would matter is if you come across a few really old roller skate models (I don't remember which one) that use 7mm bearings (b/c 7mm axle), but I really doubt you would unless you're actively looking for it.

Yes you are right.

I forgot about the 7mm (skates) to 8mm (skateboard) bearings.

I recall some people bringing in their Bones Roller bearings once a long time ago that wouldn't fit the skateboard axles and it wasn't until they read the packet they realised they were for the older roller skates, not skateboards.

Funny thing is most modern roller skates seem like they have adopted the 8mm axles to fit with all skateboard bearings, as they often use Penny trucks and skateboard wheels anyway.

Not sure if or how many people with skates you see in your shop, but there were a lot more in the last few years getting skateboard parts to replace their own, mainly wheels and bearings, but as said some truck hangers and other things too.

Daewons front truck

• Rep: 30
« Reply #2903 on: March 21, 2023, 06:10:14 PM »
Can anyone help me find what this board shape would be called? It's a flip "8.125 " but it's the weirdest shaped board I have ever seen or had. I'm surprised that I love it but I do and I got my varial heels and FS heels back for the first time since I started skating again. It's a PS Stix Flip and I think I saw they weren't made by them anymore.  This thing is wild, it's got a small square nose and  a larger scoopy tail. it is almost 8.25 at the bottom truck, 8.125 around the middle, and 7.8ish around the front truck. I'm skating it with Ace af-1s and 54mm rictas and it's perfect. I was wanting to know what it was called so I could try to find another one or a similar one from a different company. I would have no idea how to look it up. Any help would be awesome. I'm attaching photos to show what I mean.

Daewons front truck

« Reply #2904 on: March 21, 2023, 06:14:13 PM »
Here's a better look at the whole deck.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #2905 on: March 21, 2023, 06:18:58 PM »
Can anyone help me find what this board shape would be called? It's a flip "8.125 " but it's the weirdest shaped board I have ever seen or had. I'm surprised that I love it but I do and I got my varial heels and FS heels back for the first time since I started skating again. It's a PS Stix Flip and I think I saw they weren't made by them anymore.  This thing is wild, it's got a small square nose and  a larger scoopy tail. it is almost 8.25 at the bottom truck, 8.125 around the middle, and 7.8ish around the front truck. I'm skating it with Ace af-1s and 54mm rictas and it's perfect. I was wanting to know what it was called so I could try to find another one or a similar one from a different company. I would have no idea how to look it up. Any help would be awesome. I'm attaching photos to show what I mean.

thats weird, ive never seen or heard of a board that tapers like that twords the nose. usually its the opposite

Daewons front truck

« Reply #2906 on: March 21, 2023, 06:28:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

thats weird, ive never seen or heard of a board that tapers like that twords the nose. usually its the opposite

I know man, it's a first for me, I'm surprised I dig it. I've had a tapered tail deck but never one tapered toward the nose. That's why I am desperate to find out what the shape would be called or how to look for something similar.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #2907 on: March 21, 2023, 07:19:16 PM »
Watching the SC skate challenge that Cannon does and just wanted to know if someone’s thrown the stage 11 hanger on the stage 4 baseplate to skate a board with the old bolt pattern.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #2908 on: March 21, 2023, 08:25:02 PM »

the john clemmons models have a shovel nose, i think hes the only one who has a different shape

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #2909 on: March 21, 2023, 10:14:42 PM »

You can try emailing or dm’ing Paul Schmitt and asking him. He seems to be all about that
fuck you bama