Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 202081 times)

scab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 200
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2910 on: March 22, 2023, 03:31:00 AM »
Would you recommend Hopps wheels? I’ve found those Hopps Keep it moving wheels for a good price but I prefer asking Slap experts first.

I've got a set, I'm pretty sure they are poured by Creative. Opinions differ on how good Creative wheels are, some people thing they are complete trash, others like them. I think they are perfectly fine wheels, but F4 disciples might disagree.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2911 on: March 22, 2023, 06:50:01 AM »
Can anyone help me find what this board shape would be called? It's a flip "8.125 " but it's the weirdest shaped board I have ever seen or had. I'm surprised that I love it but I do and I got my varial heels and FS heels back for the first time since I started skating again. It's a PS Stix Flip and I think I saw they weren't made by them anymore.  This thing is wild, it's got a small square nose and  a larger scoopy tail. it is almost 8.25 at the bottom truck, 8.125 around the middle, and 7.8ish around the front truck. I'm skating it with Ace af-1s and 54mm rictas and it's perfect. I was wanting to know what it was called so I could try to find another one or a similar one from a different company. I would have no idea how to look it up. Any help would be awesome. I'm attaching photos to show what I mean.

If I didn't know any better I would say they somehow got the front and back mixed up and cut the board backwards and no one picked up on it.

Almost all the usual PS Stix boards I have dealt with have some taper from the bigger rounder nose down to a more tapered but often blunt tail.

Sounds about right, only the other way round?

I would say this - if you can find a shop that has other PS Stix boards of similar advertised width and check to see if they have that same shape front to back, where yours seems like it is back to front.  Most likely not going to find something exactly the same as that could have been a one off shape, but it would not be the first time someone has ended up with a board backwards and liked it that way, more so than riding it the usual way.

Of course it could be a very special board that is meant to be like that, so for all PS Stix boards, there is a serial number on top, which as others said, you can message PS Stix or Paul himself and ask if there are any more like that or even if it was meant to be the other way round.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2912 on: March 22, 2023, 06:56:32 AM »
shouldnt there be a serial number on it laser engraved if it was from PS Stix? if you email that to paul he should be able to trace that back, no?
ONTARIO CANADA

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 41
« Reply #2913 on: March 22, 2023, 07:03:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Would you recommend Hopps wheels? I’ve found those Hopps Keep it moving wheels for a good price but I prefer asking Slap experts first.
[close]

Thank you!! I have some F4 radials and conical fulls and I like them. I’ve had other wheels and liked them too so I can adapt. I do tricks on flat only, no ramps.

I've got a set, I'm pretty sure they are poured by Creative. Opinions differ on how good Creative wheels are, some people thing they are complete trash, others like them. I think they are perfectly fine wheels, but F4 disciples might disagree.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 90
« Reply #2914 on: March 22, 2023, 04:26:39 PM »
Do you skate the same shoes over and over again?
You think it’s worth it?
Are the first days still not cool to skate in the new shoes, even you had them before or do you think the adjusting is quicker than with switching the shoes all the time?

Your take on this?

Never had the same  shoes twice in a row, but skating new shoes pissed me off the first few days.

Edit: also ; would you put shoo goo on asap or after one or two sessions?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 04:51:09 PM by SlapMcKracken »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2915 on: March 22, 2023, 06:03:02 PM »
You think it’s worth it?
Are the first days still not cool to skate in the new shoes, even you had them before or do you think the adjusting is quicker than with switching the shoes all the time?

Your take on this?

Never had the same  shoes twice in a row, but skating new shoes pissed me off the first few days.

Re same shoes, yes, over and over and over, but I have a steady rotation of half a dozen different styles, all of which are not limited edition or one offs.  That said, all are vulc sole Vans, so how I do things they are pretty much perfect right from go, but it is a totally different story for other more supportive or cup sole type shoes, especially if you wear them from day one brand new until they are within their last minute of use.

Re things like shoe goo or super glue, my go to and what I usually tell anyone is this - from new, super glue over any stitches that might be in high wear areas, so they don't come apart and shorten the life of the shoe.  Then only as wear happens, shoe goo over those areas in very small amounts so you don't create a big lip or chunky uncomfortable area on the shoe.

If you have shoes that you know will wear through very quickly, then sure put shoe goo on those areas before you blow through them, eg canvas side shoes which will go from brand new to holes and bleeding foot in one session, definitely need a bit of shoe goo or super glue before skating.

We used to put shoe goo from the front toe cap right down the side of the shoe from brand new when we were kids and besides looking terrible, in some ways I think it made skating harder, but the other side of things is you don't want to see your toes sticking out from the front corner where you have flipped the shoe into oblivion with no chance to fix it either, which I have seen far too many of with kids over the years, as again a couple of kids at the skate session last night who didn't even know what shoe goo was.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #2916 on: March 23, 2023, 01:19:58 PM »
how do you shift your weight back to heel side on a slappy crook, everybody says go toe side to get into it and when i do i just stick because all my weight is on my toes. is there a secret to it?

also do you just kinda ride into it at a 45 or do u lean back and jam your front foot forward?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #2917 on: March 23, 2023, 02:01:20 PM »
how do you shift your weight back to heel side on a slappy crook, everybody says go toe side to get into it and when i do i just stick because all my weight is on my toes. is there a secret to it?

also do you just kinda ride into it at a 45 or do u lean back and jam your front foot forward?

The "secret" is literally putting your weight from your toes to your heel. Exactly the same way you would do it just standing on the ground. Stand on your toes, then shift the weight to stand on your heels.

As soon as you got up the curb, shift it. No magic to it, super simple. I think the angle should be even more than 45°. I learned it at pretty much 80-90° and then carving into the curb

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2918 on: March 23, 2023, 02:08:48 PM »
Thanks, @Mbrimson88

Did you guys ever skate shoes that just sucked skating in?

I‘m one day in a pair of covered one starts and they are so uncomfortable and the soul goes just too high into the part where’s  usually already the leather.
All my heelflip tricks suffer so hard from this.

Makes me scared off skating my Lynx Zero‘s

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2919 on: March 23, 2023, 03:15:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The "secret" is literally putting your weight from your toes to your heel. Exactly the same way you would do it just standing on the ground. Stand on your toes, then shift the weight to stand on your heels.

As soon as you got up the curb, shift it. No magic to it, super simple. I think the angle should be even more than 45°. I learned it at pretty much 80-90° and then carving into the curb

For me the trick is in the foot placement of the back foot: toes in the heel pocket and heel hanging off for bs crooks, heel in toeside pocket and toes hanging off on fs crooks. Works for me, try it.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #2920 on: March 23, 2023, 03:30:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

For me the trick is in the foot placement of the back foot: toes in the heel pocket and heel hanging off for bs crooks, heel in toeside pocket and toes hanging off on fs crooks. Works for me, try it.

How is your backfoot relevant for crooks? You can have it centered on the bolts and it doesn't change anything

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2921 on: March 23, 2023, 04:06:20 PM »
You think it’s worth it?

Your take on this?

I tried a lot of different shoes in the last two years and now I am back right where I started and will continue to get that specific shoe again and again. Take the insole from the old shoe and put it in the new one if you skate them for the first time.

I personally am not a big fan of shoe goo and will apply it when the flicking area is already well worn. But to each his/her own. But I also don't have endless amounts of time to go skate anymore.
IG: @flowterspace

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2922 on: March 23, 2023, 04:50:20 PM »
Thanks, @Mbrimson88

Did you guys ever skate shoes that just sucked skating in?

I‘m one day in a pair of covered one starts and they are so uncomfortable and the soul goes just too high into the part where’s  usually already the leather.
All my heelflip tricks suffer so hard from this.

Makes me scared off skating my Lynx Zero‘s

Yes absolutely some shoes I really liked the look of or even to wear, I just could not skate in for whatever reason.

Other shoes were good for a minute and then just had to leave them for someone else to use, others were so stiff or hard to skate in when new but then when nicely worn in were so good I didn't want to stop skating them.

Funny how that all works, but overall if a shoe is not working for you, either keep them as chillers or for mellow sessions, or get rid of them if you know you just can't deal with them.  That is better than destroying your feet or have other issues, painful as that might be to let them go.

Take the insole from the old shoe and put it in the new one if you skate them for the first time.

This is the best advice people have said works for them too - use the nicely worn in insole to get your new shoes feeling more comfortable more quickly, then when the shoe is worn in or getting thin, putting in the new insole gives it a new life so to speak, or at least makes a worn in shoe feel a bit more stiff and padded until you are done with it.

Some people never keep insoles, but I find my insoles last a long time and I prefer nicely worn in ones to any that are new.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2923 on: March 23, 2023, 05:55:48 PM »
Thanks!

How long would you say does it take til a shoe is broken in when you start skating them brand new?

I guess I should wear them a while before I skate them in the future. Will make the whole thing faster probably

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2924 on: March 23, 2023, 09:06:34 PM »
Thanks!

How long would you say does it take til a shoe is broken in when you start skating them brand new?

I guess I should wear them a while before I skate them in the future. Will make the whole thing faster probably

Some pro dudes and others do all sorts of things to the shoes before wearing them, but some other people just skate in them right from go, so again it is all down to what works for you, if they are comfortable and fit well, or you have to mold them to your feet a bit more, or in the case of tougher shoes, soften them up before skating.

People pack them with wet newspaper and microwave the shoe for 30 seconds before wearing, others use a sheet of grip stuck to the ground or a wall or something and take the sides down or the sharp edges off, some put them through the washing machine a few times or stomp all over them, but all those things those guys have gotten used to doing through trial and error, which I wouldn't recommend unless you know what you are doing or don't mind accidentally shredding a pair of shoes in the process.

With any of my Vans - Sk8 hi, mid or low, Old Skools, Half Cabs, Eras or whatever else, they are a soft shoe to start with (compared to some others) so the wear from go is not a big deal to me.

I take off the sharp edge of the white and a bit of the gum sole, mainly on the outer side but a bit all the way round, then swap out the insole for a well used one, then have a very mellow / comfortable roll for the first session with them done up as tight as I can, just to make sure that my feet really mold them nicely, which works for these shoes, so for me it is from the first skate.

I know other people who will wear a pair for ages first for everything but skateboarding, only skating in them once they are soft and comfortable, but I don't think everyone has half a dozen pairs of shoes ready and waiting before skating them, not to mention some people can go through shoes in a couple of weeks, compared to others whose shoes will last years.

For your own shoes, if they are comfortable and fit well, they should be a lot easier to skate in from go, but if they are stiff and difficult to flex, then they might need a bit more wearing in or whatever first, with any other exercise to help that process, even just put them on a do a quick run on the spot sort of thing, or whatever else you might do.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2925 on: March 23, 2023, 11:06:29 PM »
I found out the Busenitz works for me, not too chunky not too thin, plus it looks nice so I‘ll stick with it. It only takes a session to break in even if I have never worn it before.

I don‘t use shoe  goo anymore because I found out that by the time the upper is really broken, the sole will be thin as well. And I flip a lot. It‘s not even the flick holes that get me to change the shoe because there‘s a plastic shield underneath the leather that‘s holding quite good, but the stitching on the upper area around the highest lace holes at the ankle that gets completely destroyed from heeflips. Once that damage is done I cannot tie/tighten the shoe anymore as tight as I want so that‘s when I chuck it. No shoe goo can prevent that.
why come?

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2926 on: March 24, 2023, 12:54:44 AM »
Without shoo goo my shoes are done so quick. Can’t afford that.

Never had busenitz, but Campus where really good pretty much from start.
Superstars took a while. Then they were great.

Shoes that sucked for me were fabric vans like authentics, Adidas rivalry and now the cons one star ox.

The last two suck because of the sole going up more on the sides of the shoe I think.

For example; I skated average cortez and they were great (but didn’t last long).

I have some Adidas forum too, and somehow I think this is the kind of shoe that won’t feel good skating.
Not sure about the lynx zero

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #2927 on: March 24, 2023, 05:17:17 AM »
Which Bones/Powell Dragon wheel shape is most similar to a Spitfire F4 Classic?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

eSK3

« Reply #2928 on: March 24, 2023, 05:55:05 AM »
Thanks!

Very few shoes are good out the box. Wearing them a day or two first is always helpful unless you always buy the same pair.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #2929 on: March 24, 2023, 06:01:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

How is your backfoot relevant for crooks? You can have it centered on the bolts and it doesn't change anything

I noticed doing slapppy crooks when my back foot was closer to center of board I was like automatically popping out as opposed to when back foot was on bolts or closer to tail

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 750
« Reply #2930 on: March 24, 2023, 11:12:20 AM »
Which Bones/Powell Dragon wheel shape is most similar to a Spitfire F4 Classic?

Either V1 or V3

rxcr

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2931 on: March 25, 2023, 09:28:43 AM »
Looking for a suggestion for tweaking my setup. I'm pretty tall (6'4", size 13), and have just gotten back into it after 15 years, so have no reference for the state of things.

Current setup, created from perusing the tall skaters thread:
8.63" x 14.75" Anti-hero eagle
Ace AF-1 60 (8.75")
Spitfire F4 Conical Full 54mm

The good: I have no complaints. The bad: I don't know what I'm missing, a) because I'm not as familiar with the market, and b) my low skill level would conflate setup problems with me not being good.

In what direction should I tweak this setup to try to dial in what's best for me? Aspirationally, I'd like to get better at ledge skating and medium/low-impact park stuff (banks, hips, smaller transition).

If I had one issue, it's that flip tricks seem to take quite a bit of effort, but that might just be me being old. And I can't imagine riding something smaller.

turdtastic

• Rep: 47
« Reply #2932 on: March 25, 2023, 09:56:40 AM »
Looking for a suggestion for tweaking my setup. I'm pretty tall (6'4", size 13), and have just gotten back into it after 15 years, so have no reference for the state of things.

Ace AF-1 60 (8.75")

The good: I have no complaints. The bad: I don't know what I'm missing, a) because I'm not as familiar with the market, and b) my low skill level would conflate setup problems with me not being good.

In what direction should I tweak this setup to try to dial in what's best for me? Aspirationally, I'd like to get better at ledge skating and medium/low-impact park stuff (banks, hips, smaller transition).

If I had one issue, it's that flip tricks seem to take quite a bit of effort, but that might just be me being old. And I can't imagine riding something smaller.
Shorter WB should help your flip tricks and overall responsiveness of the board, 14.25-14.5”, under that for tall people like us starts to feel cramped and unstable imho.
Everything else looks fine.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #2933 on: March 25, 2023, 09:57:57 AM »

Ace AF-1 60 (8.75")

You have a wide board with wide, heavy trucks so flip tricks are going to be more difficult than they would be with a lighter board. Otherwise i think you have a great all-purpose set up. The best thing you could do is just skate consistently.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #2934 on: March 25, 2023, 10:19:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

It is funny how the inch to cm conversion is almost non existent in skateboarding though.

The few shops that do measure in cm / mm always get me and I have to google the conversion tool to check measurements.

Imagine if I said I rode a board that was 820 x 216 with a 368 wheelbase (32.3 x 8.5 with 14.5 wb).

Conversion:

8.25" wide  =  210 mm
14.25" wheelbase  =  362 mm
6.5875" tail  =  167 mm
6.875" nose  =  175 mm
32" length  =  813 mm

* rounded to the nearest mm
[close]

On the other hand it‘s normal to measure wheels in millimeters. I always pondered, why come?
[close]

Decks all in inches
Risers almost all in inches, some in mm
Trucks mixed, some 144 mm, others 5.6 inches
Wheels all in mm
Bolts in inches
Grip in inches 9 x 33 is the most common size of grip

Bearings - n/a

Anything else?

Shoes in US size, cm and in EU sizes

Pants in both, eg 34" or 87 cm waist

I guess it is just one of those things hey!?!
[close]

Maybe just because this would look really stupid ;) .
[close]

You could be right.
Wheels and trucks are in mm because they came from rollerskates which are french. When Americans started making skateboards they just copied existing products. 

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2935 on: March 25, 2023, 10:55:42 AM »
Expand Quote

Ace AF-1 60 (8.75")

[close]

You have a wide board with wide, heavy trucks so flip tricks are going to be more difficult than they would be with a lighter board. Otherwise i think you have a great all-purpose set up. The best thing you could do is just skate consistently.

For the love of god do not visit https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=122395.0
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #2936 on: March 25, 2023, 11:32:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Ace AF-1 60 (8.75")

[close]

[close]

For the love of god do not visit https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=122395.0

Haha. I feel like the less i skate the more madness i get. When i'm skating all the time i don't even think about it
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2937 on: March 25, 2023, 12:07:32 PM »
Expand Quote

Ace AF-1 60 (8.75")

[close]
Shorter WB should help your flip tricks and overall responsiveness of the board, 14.25-14.5”, under that for tall people like us starts to feel cramped and unstable imho.

Also, your axles are wider than your deck. For flipping, the opposite would probably work better. Try 8.5 trucks or get a 8.75 deck next to see if there is any improvement. Then take it from there.
why come?

rxcr

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2938 on: March 25, 2023, 01:35:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Ace AF-1 60 (8.75")

[close]
[close]

Also, your axles are wider than your deck. For flipping, the opposite would probably work better. Try 8.5 trucks or get a 8.75 deck next to see if there is any improvement. Then take it from there.

Appreciate the input(s). Will probably get a deck and trucks and see which of the 4 combos I like best.

apbarbs

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2939 on: March 25, 2023, 02:17:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Ace AF-1 60 (8.75")

[close]
[close]

[close]

Appreciate the input(s). Will probably get a deck and trucks and see which of the 4 combos I like best.

would highly recommend the anti-hero mis-registered eagle shapes:
https://www.paradeworld.com/uk/products/antihero-mis-register-eagle-skateboard-deck-875-1-7629040910592/

it's 8.75 but with a 14.25 wheelbase - i personally have only skated the 8.25 and 8.5 from this series (both with a 14 wheelbase) but i loved them both, i assume the 8.75 might be a similar feel for taller people

they made them in different graphics as well like this one:
https://www.workingclassstore.com/products/anti-hero-curb-crusher-xl-deck-8-75
and one that looks like a tape but i can't find a picture right now