Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 206238 times)

minilogoflow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 84
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2940 on: March 25, 2023, 02:40:32 PM »
Does anyone know what woodshop The Heated Wheel uses for their popsicle shapes?

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 492
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2941 on: March 25, 2023, 02:59:30 PM »
Pretty sure it's BBS for popsicles & PS Stix for Polarizers

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #2942 on: March 25, 2023, 03:01:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks, that's what I had read but wanted to double check before pulling the trigger on a new deck.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #2943 on: March 25, 2023, 03:35:39 PM »
Anybody know if mini logo kingpins fit thunder baseplates?

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #2944 on: March 25, 2023, 05:59:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

their stains do not look like BBS stains to me. the only one that does is the bright green stain. i've never seen a maroon or dirty looking stains from BBS (outside of purple and brown, sometimes), their shaped and popscicles look more PS or Watson to me.

but THW could like that look and request it i guess.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2945 on: March 25, 2023, 06:16:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

their stains do not look like BBS stains to me. the only one that does is the bright green stain. i've never seen a maroon or dirty looking stains from BBS (outside of purple and brown, sometimes), their shaped and popscicles look more PS or Watson to me.

I noticed that about the stains too, but others who have the boards agree they are BBS.

Heated Wheel thread here too:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=125033.0

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2946 on: March 25, 2023, 06:19:57 PM »
What does hybrid mean on my Habit board?
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2947 on: March 25, 2023, 06:20:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Looking for a suggestion for tweaking my setup. I'm pretty tall (6'4", size 13), and have just gotten back into it after 15 years, so have no reference for the state of things.

Current setup, created from perusing the tall skaters thread:
8.63" x 14.75" Anti-hero eagle
Ace AF-1 60 (8.75")
Spitfire F4 Conical Full 54mm

The good: I have no complaints. The bad: I don't know what I'm missing, a) because I'm not as familiar with the market, and b) my low skill level would conflate setup problems with me not being good.

In what direction should I tweak this setup to try to dial in what's best for me? Aspirationally, I'd like to get better at ledge skating and medium/low-impact park stuff (banks, hips, smaller transition).

If I had one issue, it's that flip tricks seem to take quite a bit of effort, but that might just be me being old. And I can't imagine riding something smaller.
[close]
Shorter WB should help your flip tricks and overall responsiveness of the board, 14.25-14.5”, under that for tall people like us starts to feel cramped and unstable imho.
Everything else looks fine.
[close]

Also, your axles are wider than your deck. For flipping, the opposite would probably work better. Try 8.5 trucks or get a 8.75 deck next to see if there is any improvement. Then take it from there.

Definitely back this logic.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2948 on: March 25, 2023, 06:23:20 PM »
Anybody know if mini logo kingpins fit thunder baseplates?

I bought a few packs when I had access and worked in the shop and I would say yes, as they are the same generic kingpins as used on pretty much all trucks nowdays, so should fit any normal truck for height and kingpin shape.

If you are having issues getting a kingpin in, I take down the "teeth" a bit with an angle grinder or file and they are much easier to hammer in without any other problems.

Most shops will buy the ten pack and then separate them out so as a customer you can buy just one or how ever many you need.

More info on them here, in case you hadn't seen this:

https://minilogoskateboards.com/mini-logo-king-pins-10pk

Details

Universal Fit - 2" overall length

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #2949 on: March 25, 2023, 06:31:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

I noticed that about the stains too, but others who have the boards agree they are BBS.

Heated Wheel thread here too:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=125033.0

yeah, i don't really know what to believe anymore.

i'd guess this was PS or Watson before BBS.

socal is claiming it's PS but they been wrong so many times in the past.

https://socalskateshop.com/The-Heated-Wheel-Sportsman-Shaped-Skateboard-Deck-Aqua-9x32.html#!?cc_decks=129916&c=cc_grip-tape

pops

• Rep: 234
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2950 on: March 25, 2023, 11:21:14 PM »
Im asking again, anyone who skated both KSL G6 and Gamma, can I go same size in both, do they fit differently? Gammas were a little snug at first but broke in nicely and have plenty of room.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #2951 on: March 26, 2023, 02:12:25 AM »
What does hybrid mean on my Habit board?

maybe half birch half maple?

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #2952 on: March 26, 2023, 08:06:17 AM »
Is it kooking it to go back to a shop if on day one you realize the board you bought is warped, or is it my bad for not checking

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #2953 on: March 26, 2023, 08:06:50 AM »
related, is there a thread here for fixing warped boards? is that even possible

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #2954 on: March 26, 2023, 09:06:19 AM »
Is it kooking it to go back to a shop if on day one you realize the board you bought is warped, or is it my bad for not checking

Not your fault. Kinda nobodies fault. Go get it replaced if it's badly warped.

You can just skate it and it might un-warp quickly. Depends on how bad the warp is though.
If that doesn't work, you'd need to press it between 2 unwarped decks i guess

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
« Reply #2955 on: March 26, 2023, 10:36:52 AM »
why the fuck are half cabs $100 dollars now?
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #2956 on: March 26, 2023, 10:51:00 AM »
I just saw alien workshop uploaded photosynthesis to YouTube and just started thinking why do brands give their videos to Thrasher/Free etc...like there is good money in YouTube...ok I understand for smaller brands that want exposure but ?

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #2957 on: March 26, 2023, 11:46:19 AM »

yeah they went up $15 in the last year, glad i stocked up on sale shoes when i did. all i wear is cabs n i have enough to last me for like 2 more years

fernando the skater

• Rep: 99
« Reply #2958 on: March 26, 2023, 11:48:42 AM »
Watching the Gifted Hater/Curren Caples video, he pronounces RVCA as Roo Ker. Is this what we're supposed to do? I assumed it was spelt out as in R V C A.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #2959 on: March 26, 2023, 11:49:24 AM »
Vans aren’t as trendy and they probably spent too much money on the Ultrarange shit since marketing thought that they needed to appeal to people doing outdoors shit post-COVID. That gray nubuck Sk8-Hi goes for $100 and the purple Rowan is $90. Prices overall suck when it comes to buying Vans, unless you see them on clearance.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #2960 on: March 26, 2023, 12:26:34 PM »
Watching the Gifted Hater/Curren Caples video, he pronounces RVCA as Roo Ker. Is this what we're supposed to do? I assumed it was spelt out as in R V C A.

It's pronounced "Rew-ka".

https://www.rvca.com/about.html

The RVCA Name (Pronounced: REW-KA) was developed first and foremost out of the "V" and "A" = which symbolizes The Balance of Opposites and how they coexist: Nature x Industrialization, Woman x Man, Past x Present...Future. Today. Tomorrow. Life.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2961 on: March 26, 2023, 12:36:59 PM »

I believe there is. Ask @Mbrimson88  he swears by parking his car on a warped bloard. Or you can try putting a stack of decks and other heavy stuff on top of it for a few weeks.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

fernando the skater

• Rep: 99
« Reply #2962 on: March 26, 2023, 12:45:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's pronounced "Rew-ka".

https://www.rvca.com/about.html

Expand Quote
The RVCA Name (Pronounced: REW-KA) was developed first and foremost out of the "V" and "A" = which symbolizes The Balance of Opposites and how they coexist: Nature x Industrialization, Woman x Man, Past x Present...Future. Today. Tomorrow. Life.
[close]

Thanks. Never new this, and I own one of their shirts.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #2963 on: March 26, 2023, 01:02:50 PM »
Jacopo’s setup, anybody knows it?

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 94
« Reply #2964 on: March 26, 2023, 04:05:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I believe there is. Ask @Mbrimson88  he swears by parking his car on a warped bloard. Or you can try putting a stack of decks and other heavy stuff on top of it for a few weeks.

How do you determine if a board is warped or not besides just looking at it?  I have some decks that’s a few years old that I wanna use but don’t wanna waste grip on a warped deck

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2965 on: March 26, 2023, 04:18:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not your fault. Kinda nobodies fault. Go get it replaced if it's badly warped.

Expand Quote
[close]

You can just skate it and it might un-warp quickly. Depends on how bad the warp is though.
If that doesn't work, you'd need to press it between 2 unwarped decks i guess

Yeah first I would contact the shop, if you are not within easy distance to go back in yourself and send them a pic of the board showing the warp, usually looking down the board from end to end and one corner is going to sit higher than the other.

Second, only if they don't do anything or you don't want to take it back or talk to them, I have done this to fix a warped board in the past and it has worked quite well, but it takes time, maybe a week or more sitting under something heavy with the counter side lifted to "bend" the board back to the straight posiition.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

How do you determine if a board is warped or not besides just looking at it?  I have some decks that’s a few years old that I wanna use but don’t wanna waste grip on a warped deck

As said above, the best way is to look down from end to end, matching up the corners of the kicks, as usually they should be straight and match up together, but if a board is warped one corner will sit up higher than the other.

The park under car is the best way to flatten out the kicks, but to offset the warp, place under significant weight and leave for a week is the best way I found to fix a warped deck.  I guess you could also do that under a car tyre, but I think having full weight on the whole board works better than just the single kick under a tyre method.

All trial and error though, so I guess someone could have done that and made it work.

Daewons front truck

• Rep: 30
« Reply #2966 on: March 26, 2023, 06:31:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Can anyone help me find what this board shape would be called? It's a flip "8.125 " but it's the weirdest shaped board I have ever seen or had. I'm surprised that I love it but I do and I got my varial heels and FS heels back for the first time since I started skating again. It's a PS Stix Flip and I think I saw they weren't made by them anymore.  This thing is wild, it's got a small square nose and  a larger scoopy tail. it is almost 8.25 at the bottom truck, 8.125 around the middle, and 7.8ish around the front truck. I'm skating it with Ace af-1s and 54mm rictas and it's perfect. I was wanting to know what it was called so I could try to find another one or a similar one from a different company. I would have no idea how to look it up. Any help would be awesome. I'm attaching photos to show what I mean.
[close]

If I didn't know any better I would say they somehow got the front and back mixed up and cut the board backwards and no one picked up on it.

Almost all the usual PS Stix boards I have dealt with have some taper from the bigger rounder nose down to a more tapered but often blunt tail.

Sounds about right, only the other way round?

I would say this - if you can find a shop that has other PS Stix boards of similar advertised width and check to see if they have that same shape front to back, where yours seems like it is back to front.  Most likely not going to find something exactly the same as that could have been a one off shape, but it would not be the first time someone has ended up with a board backwards and liked it that way, more so than riding it the usual way.

Of course it could be a very special board that is meant to be like that, so for all PS Stix boards, there is a serial number on top, which as others said, you can message PS Stix or Paul himself and ask if there are any more like that or even if it was meant to be the other way round.

I sent PS Stix an email about 4 days ago and I have yet to hear back, is there another way I could try contacting them if they don't reply to the email in the upcoming future? The good news is this, I do have a picture of the serial code and I'm going to attempt to attach it to this post. Hopefully that helps?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2967 on: March 26, 2023, 07:18:53 PM »

Honestly it's 50/50. You should check for warping when you're there, looking at the underside of the deck you can easily see lateral twist if you hold it straight in front of you eye level with the flat. Put it on the floor or counter and rock it front to back and diagonal and you can tell easily.

I've seen a shitload of twisted BBS decks recently. I had 5 decks off the rack to choose from and 3 were warped/twisted.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #2968 on: March 26, 2023, 07:39:23 PM »
Do all half cabs have the puffy tounges?

pops

• Rep: 234
« Reply #2969 on: March 26, 2023, 08:56:52 PM »
Do all half cabs have the puffy tounges?

This is the skate version. Not sure about other models but I believe they're pretty close.