Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216686 times)

michael (+ 1 Hidden) and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

fernando the skater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 123
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3240 on: May 06, 2023, 03:17:20 AM »

I've been hunting down the old model and occasionally stumble across some on sale so I've been stockpiling. Does anyone else do this? like find a model they really enjoyed and hunt down the remaining pairs to skate, but then also save these for like special occasions/ trips/ filming or what have you?

Nike SB Satires. They stopped making them a few years back. Have a Ebay saved search for any that pop up in good condition.

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #3241 on: May 06, 2023, 05:13:14 AM »
sb blazer mids vs fastbreaks

how do they fit and skate?

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #3242 on: May 06, 2023, 12:46:49 PM »
What temperature is ok to leave the deck in the car ?

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #3243 on: May 06, 2023, 04:27:29 PM »

I find that in cold weather it docent matter because the car only gets as cold as outside, however in about 30 Celsius and above the car heats up a lot more than the temp outside and that's when the board can warp.

I have left my board in my trunk over an entire winter that got down to -40 Celsius and below with no warping, however, a board had warped after about a week in +30 Celsius weather.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3244 on: May 06, 2023, 05:04:25 PM »

The temperatures in locked cars in full sun can easily kill pets, kids and even adults, so I imagine that is not so good for the wood in skateboard decks either.

Some people say "Just don't" but I guess it depends if you are parked outside in full sun all day every day, or if you have things covered, insulated or just sitting in the back.

A friend who used to always complain about his boards delaminating had a sporty looking coupe with a big back hatch and that is where the board lived, never took it out except to skate and didn't cover it with anything.  He never listened to any of us but when he wrecked that car, sure enough his boards never warped when in a normal sedan boot.

I recommend using a board box to keep any decks or complete skateboards in if you have them in a vehicle, as it insulates them enough to stop any of the usual issues with heat and my boards are good.  That and covering anything if it is just in the back seat or visible, either a blanket or shade cloth material, more than anything prevents unwanted attention in the case of someone coming round looking in car windows and breaking in to steal anything.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -315
« Reply #3245 on: May 07, 2023, 06:57:58 AM »
Don’t keep your board in your car. If you’re cold, it’s cold. If you’re hot, it’s hot.

Cold temps will stiffen your bushings making it impossible to turn.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #3246 on: May 07, 2023, 07:30:39 AM »
What bearings will hold up best for slappies?
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

manysnakes

« Reply #3247 on: May 07, 2023, 08:15:29 AM »

I've had nothing but good experiences with Bones Swiss. I was shredding every manner of cheap bearing and some not-so-cheap ones with slappies before I made the switch. Now I've been skating the same pair for the last 3 years with minimal maintenance and no issues.

Mr. Pickles

• Rep: 39
« Reply #3248 on: May 07, 2023, 11:23:39 AM »
Does Vans make normal, non-skateline Half Cabs anymore? These "skate" ones don't work for my feet; the OG's were fine. Even the '92's are fine, just harder to find than the skates. 

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #3249 on: May 07, 2023, 02:43:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've had nothing but good experiences with Bones Swiss. I was shredding every manner of cheap bearing and some not-so-cheap ones with slappies before I made the switch. Now I've been skating the same pair for the last 3 years with minimal maintenance and no issues.

Swiss it is then. You get what you pay for I guess.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #3250 on: May 07, 2023, 02:52:48 PM »
Does Vans make normal, non-skateline Half Cabs anymore? These "skate" ones don't work for my feet; the OG's were fine. Even the '92's are fine, just harder to find than the skates.

good question, they might be phasing them out cause i don't really see them too much anymore. i know i seen them here n there last year. they still make the anehiem factory ones which are none skate but they cost alot more
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 03:00:08 PM by Tom Pearl »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3251 on: May 07, 2023, 05:12:29 PM »

As far as I know yes.  The weird thing with the classic Half Cab is they bring them in, RRP is now $140 or so in Australia, mostly they sit around and then they clear them out, usually at really good sale prices.  Then a while later, they are back again, same high RRP and it goes through the same process more or less once again.

They had done quite a few colourways of the classic ones, but I think the only colour I see now is the black white.  Previously there had been all white, navy white, black black, tan white, etc.

That is only the classic Half Cabs too, not the 92, Pro, Skate or any other line.

https://www.vans.com.au/half-cab-vn-0dz3blk-blk.html#93=3552

Limited sizes here but they are now $149.99 which seems a bit ridiculous for a classic shoe.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
« Reply #3252 on: May 07, 2023, 07:32:39 PM »
For those with ceramic bearings, do you find small black balls/debris in the bearings everytime you take off the shields for maintenance? I assume it's leftover from the ceramic balls polishing the races, but I could be wrong. I'm using Bones Super Reds Ceramics.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3253 on: May 08, 2023, 06:19:55 AM »
Anybody tried that Malto twin paddle or something like that shape?
For what I remember is to be a supposed hybrid between nose and tail.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3254 on: May 08, 2023, 06:53:00 AM »

I typically bring it inside if its colder than 0C (32 F) or warmer than 30C (86 F). Have never had any issues between these temperatures.

I have done much hotter and colder and also had bad times :)

I have had bones swiss bearings rust leaving it in the trunk all winter, amongst snow skates and shovels and shit. but I cleaned them and I am still using them years later and spinning great.

I found this year if I just kept my skateboard in the main area of the car, not in the trunk, I was able to keep it pretty nicely through the entire winter. I brought it inside every night.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
« Reply #3255 on: May 08, 2023, 07:44:09 AM »

I've been hunting down the old model and occasionally stumble across some on sale so I've been stockpiling. Does anyone else do this? like find a model they really enjoyed and hunt down the remaining pairs to skate, but then also save these for like special occasions/ trips/ filming or what have you?

Sorta different cuz I don't actually skate them but when Vans transitioned to their Skate line I went on the prowl to make sure I had some of the Slip On Pros around as chillers. Overall I think the new ones are an improvement and hold their form better but I actually like how soft and flimsy the slip ons were while having just a bit more support than the Classic slips.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3256 on: May 08, 2023, 11:55:46 AM »
can somebody show me the top of a primitive board?

im thinking of getting a mystery box but i'd like to see what the shape looks like first

doublesteveburger

« Reply #3257 on: May 08, 2023, 02:40:28 PM »
Don’t keep your board in your car. If you’re cold, it’s cold. If you’re hot, it’s hot.

Cold temps will stiffen your bushings making it impossible to turn.

what if i leave the A/C or heater on with some good tunes playing while I get back?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3258 on: May 08, 2023, 03:12:14 PM »
Does anyone know what the Baker B2 wheelbases actually are? I've seen different numbers for each size. I am interested in 8.25 and 8.38.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3259 on: May 08, 2023, 04:34:08 PM »

im thinking of getting a mystery box but i'd like to see what the shape looks like first

There are quite a few in the Setup thread, just use search in the top right when here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=10804.0

Also something like this, which has a good top pic:

https://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/product/Primitive-Trent+McClung+Demo+8+38+Skateboard+Deck-672888

They actually have really good pics of all sized boards, graphic, top and side concave views:

https://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/products/?q=primitive%20deck

Whatever size or shape you want, I think you could find it there anyway.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3260 on: May 08, 2023, 04:37:55 PM »
Does anyone know what the Baker B2 wheelbases actually are? I've seen different numbers for each size. I am interested in 8.25 and 8.38.

I have the 8.5 and 8.38 stamped B2 boards.

The 8.38 I have is more like 8.25 anyway - definitely not 8.38 and just a hair over other 8.25 boards when checked, and is 14.375 wb on 32.2 or so long board, so longer than usual kicks, slightly more full but not square, pretty much same concave as usual BBS wood, although others have said that the concave is steeper on their boards.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
« Reply #3261 on: May 08, 2023, 05:35:01 PM »
Im enjoying this DOA flat as fuck.

What are some flat molds out there?
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

manysnakes

« Reply #3262 on: May 08, 2023, 06:35:41 PM »

The flattest regularly available production decks I’ve found were the Baker mellow concave. They’re not flat as fuck, but they’re also a deck you can walk into a shop right now and buy.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3263 on: May 08, 2023, 09:27:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have the 8.5 and 8.38 stamped B2 boards.

The 8.38 I have is more like 8.25 anyway - definitely not 8.38 and just a hair over other 8.25 boards when checked, and is 14.375 wb on 32.2 or so long board, so longer than usual kicks, slightly more full but not square, pretty much same concave as usual BBS wood, although others have said that the concave is steeper on their boards.

Would love a comparison to the DLX 8.25 or BBS generic 8.38 if you have either. On paper it looks really similar to the BBS and if it's close enough I'd add it to my shape rotation.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • the moon rules
« Reply #3264 on: May 08, 2023, 10:50:13 PM »
For those with ceramic bearings, do you find small black balls/debris in the bearings everytime you take off the shields for maintenance? I assume it's leftover from the ceramic balls polishing the races, but I could be wrong. I'm using Bones Super Reds Ceramics.
I’ve had Bones Swiss ceramics and Quantum Fusions, and both of them leave black dirt balls when I soaked them in acetone. They seem like dirt magnets that require more maintenance. The Swiss ceramics never seemed to be quite as fast after cleaning, and the Quantum’s need to be cleaned every few weeks to stay fast
fuck you bama

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3265 on: May 09, 2023, 05:53:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

There are quite a few in the Setup thread, just use search in the top right when here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=10804.0

Also something like this, which has a good top pic:

https://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/product/Primitive-Trent+McClung+Demo+8+38+Skateboard+Deck-672888

They actually have really good pics of all sized boards, graphic, top and side concave views:

https://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/products/?q=primitive%20deck

Whatever size or shape you want, I think you could find it there anyway.

thanks homie

IpathCats

« Reply #3266 on: May 09, 2023, 06:31:58 AM »

Blazers are more narrow and snug fitting, better boardfeel/worse impact protection (vulc). They feel pretty sturdy and substantial at first, but once you break them in they are flimsy and bag out more easily than the fastbreaks.

Fastbreaks are wider and slightly longer (i still go TTS because i hate cramping my toes, but many people say they go down a half size). A chunkier, more substantial shoe with a thicker cupsole.

As with most cupsoles, the flick changes over time. In comparison, the blazer are a bit more consistent in that regard.

Biggest issue with the fastbreaks is that most colorways use nylon in the area that i destroy the quickest on a skate shoe (ollie hole on the outside of your pinky toe). So either have some super glue ready or buy an all suede pair.

In general i see way more people in blazers, but i think thats probably due to availability and vulcs still being generally preferred (could be wrong about that)

personally i prefer the fastbreak, but im a cupsole kinda guy.

DERBY

• Rep: 274
« Reply #3267 on: May 09, 2023, 07:18:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Blazers are more narrow and snug fitting, better boardfeel/worse impact protection (vulc). They feel pretty sturdy and substantial at first, but once you break them in they are flimsy and bag out more easily than the fastbreaks.

Fastbreaks are wider and slightly longer (i still go TTS because i hate cramping my toes, but many people say they go down a half size). A chunkier, more substantial shoe with a thicker cupsole.

As with most cupsoles, the flick changes over time. In comparison, the blazer are a bit more consistent in that regard.

Biggest issue with the fastbreaks is that most colorways use nylon in the area that i destroy the quickest on a skate shoe (ollie hole on the outside of your pinky toe). So either have some super glue ready or buy an all suede pair.

In general i see way more people in blazers, but i think thats probably due to availability and vulcs still being generally preferred (could be wrong about that)

thanks for the breakdown dawg. going with the fastbreaks!

Basingstoke

• Rep: 35
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3268 on: May 09, 2023, 08:36:08 AM »

I am skating a 5Boro and that is quite mellow, they are pressed at South Central.

IpathCats

« Reply #3269 on: May 09, 2023, 10:08:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

thanks for the breakdown dawg. going with the fastbreaks!

No prob! dont forget to superglue, or buy the all suede ones.

really wish they would fix that nylon shit, i'd probably skate these exclusively if they did.

or if they made these new as-1's in a mid/high top.