Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216468 times)

Pastasash and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

realbasedgod112

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3630 on: July 07, 2023, 02:35:19 AM »
this is almost certainly a stupid question - but does the stickiness/grippiness/roughness of griptape affect the amount of dust/dirt that accumulates on it??
my last deck had jessup griptape on it, and i noticed that it was a lot cleaner than all my other boards but considered it as coincidence. however, the deck i just set up today with mob griptape got just as dirty as the previous deck did in 2 months, within a 2 hour session in my shed.

what gives?? does it have any effect? am i insane? let me know.
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3631 on: July 07, 2023, 04:20:39 AM »
Good question, I'm was skating Jessup on my last board (I hated it. The grip, not the board) and thing was a dust magnet.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

stupidfuckface

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #3632 on: July 07, 2023, 07:32:48 AM »
Ok here’s one that makes me wonder.
Why is it that so many 8.38 decks have a longer wheelbase than 8.5 decks?

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #3633 on: July 07, 2023, 07:44:31 AM »
this is almost certainly a stupid question - but does the stickiness/grippiness/roughness of griptape affect the amount of dust/dirt that accumulates on it??
my last deck had jessup griptape on it, and i noticed that it was a lot cleaner than all my other boards but considered it as coincidence. however, the deck i just set up today with mob griptape got just as dirty as the previous deck did in 2 months, within a 2 hour session in my shed.

It definitely has an effect on the grip as that is extra material that isn't as grippy as griptape where your feet are touching.
Definitely one of my kook tendencies, I carry belt sander cleaner/grip gum in my bag with me at every session.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 08:07:56 AM by Musicaldeath107 »

HumbleGenius

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3634 on: July 07, 2023, 08:06:23 AM »
Anyone running REAL wooden risers? I just added these to my setup with Thunders to be able to run big(ger) wheels without getting pitched from wheelbite and I'm really loving it so far.

My question would be how long do they last? Do they last the whole lifetime of the trucks or am I gonna have to swap them for new ones often? I do a lot of noseslides and tailslides so I'd like to know if they blow out I'm gonna get a few spare sets. Otherwise I'd just buy a new set whenever I get new trucks...

Thanks!

Lepanto

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3635 on: July 07, 2023, 10:07:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hi!

Been watching some "FTP" decks arround.

I am curious about what woodshop they use and what its shapes/info are for 8,25 and 8,38 decks.

lenght, wb.. squared? pointy? mid? tail/nose

somebody skated them or got info?
[close]

Yoo somebody brings some light?
[close]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314159381385

The only FTP decks that comes up that easily shows woodshop include this one, which is on Generator (BBS) wood, so would be the same usual Generator shape and dimensions.

Not sure if this is an old one or the company is even still making boards, or if it was just a run at something to widen their fashion business, which is what it looks like on their instagram account, but I don't really follow all the new cool brands either.

Another listing from the same ebay collectables seller, maybe on Clutch wood or something else, but who knows.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314159378218

https://www.instagram.com/ftp/

Looking at other places, the decks are up to four times the price of any other normal board, so are they more just high priced fashion collectables?  I would rather buy four local shop boards and know I have good wood and supported a local shop, but that is just me.  Not hating, just don't understand the hype, but I have always been more into good wood and graphics / brand second, even though I do have favourites anyway.

LMAO, so basically FTP skateboards basically offer the standard generator decks, not even bbs..

For real.. i been feeling a little bit too much overhype on that "thug" company. Not hating but i was curious about what they offering to make all that people demanding their decks and clothes...

thx for the info

Lepanto

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3636 on: July 07, 2023, 10:13:27 AM »

good question lmao, wondered the same meny times

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #3637 on: July 07, 2023, 10:58:27 AM »
Anyone running REAL wooden risers? I just added these to my setup with Thunders to be able to run big(ger) wheels without getting pitched from wheelbite and I'm really loving it so far.

My question would be how long do they last? Do they last the whole lifetime of the trucks or am I gonna have to swap them for new ones often? I do a lot of noseslides and tailslides so I'd like to know if they blow out I'm gonna get a few spare sets. Otherwise I'd just buy a new set whenever I get new trucks...

Thanks!

I've been using the wooden risers for a few years now also with Thunders and they've been working great. They wear down as much as the truck baseplate does but that's about it. When I set up new trucks, I just spin the riser around so the unworn side is flush with the new baseplate to extend the use of them.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #3638 on: July 07, 2023, 12:34:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

good question lmao, wondered the same meny times

Ive wondered the same. I came to a loose conclusion(for Dlx mostly) that to maintain product selection, they alternate long board/long wheelbase/less tapered, with shorter board/shorter wheelbase/more tapered as you go up in width from 8.0.

8.0 - usually 14.38
8.12 - usually 14, sometimes 14.25
8.25 - 14.38
8.28 - 14.1
8.38 - 14.5
8.4 - 14.25
8.5 - 14.25 or 14.38
8.62 - 14.75
8.75 - 14.62

obviously theres a lot of exceptions, and true fit throws a wench into this theory.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #3639 on: July 07, 2023, 04:02:07 PM »
Who aside from Real makes an 8.5 or 8.6 with a 14.38 wb?

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Boog

• Rep: 202
« Reply #3640 on: July 07, 2023, 04:11:17 PM »
Who aside from Real makes an 8.5 or 8.6 with a 14.38 wb?
Limosine 8.6 is 14.3

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3641 on: July 07, 2023, 04:44:12 PM »
polar 8.6 popsicle
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 99
« Reply #3642 on: July 11, 2023, 11:15:27 AM »
Got a pair of one stars that are camo. They were real cheap so I couldn’t say no but now I gotta ask, what’s the best type of spray paint for shoes? I wear a lot of green shirts and feel funny with my shirt and shoes matching

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
« Reply #3643 on: July 13, 2023, 05:35:36 PM »
This kooky local I skate with regularly thinks that melting wax with a torch on ledges is the way to go. To me, it seems like it just melts into the pores of the concrete or just straight-up melts off. It's no longer on the surface anymore where it needs to be. I can visibly see the difference just looking at the surface of the ledge, but he's your typical know-it-all expert who can't be reasoned with. Am I totally wrong here or what? It feels like even in the hot sun the wax just melts off or into the ledge and becomes useless. I dunno I don't get it. Seems stupid. Maybe I'm stupid though. Someone chime in.

This is on an ancient skatepark ledge btw. Might be more appropriate for breaking in a new concrete ledge but still I am skeptical.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 06:30:00 PM by Steely Daniel »

manysnakes

« Reply #3644 on: July 13, 2023, 07:46:07 PM »
What size roundover router bit to properly smooth the edge of a skateboard?

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3645 on: July 14, 2023, 01:06:55 AM »
Do Etnies Maranas have removable insole?

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #3646 on: July 14, 2023, 01:18:38 AM »
Yes  :)
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3647 on: July 14, 2023, 02:42:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yes  :)
That's what i hoped for, thanks for the quick answer!

Cesspool86

• Rep: 60
« Reply #3648 on: July 14, 2023, 02:52:11 AM »
Got a pair of one stars that are camo. They were real cheap so I couldn’t say no but now I gotta ask, what’s the best type of spray paint for shoes? I wear a lot of green shirts and feel funny with my shirt and shoes matching

If you have time and patience get some suede/leather dye. Most grocery stores have it in the shoe care section

Banned from the room

« Reply #3649 on: July 14, 2023, 05:39:47 PM »
Has anyone don't switch flip mctwist yet?

Gleefull508

• Rep: 25
« Reply #3650 on: July 16, 2023, 09:47:51 PM »
Does anyone know where I can find size 149 (8.5) stage 4 indys? I think Im a little late to the stage 4 release as i can't really find them that easy.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #3651 on: July 16, 2023, 10:10:37 PM »

bcoz of the peaks and valleys of the grit.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • the moon rules
« Reply #3652 on: July 16, 2023, 10:15:56 PM »
Does anyone know where I can find size 149 (8.5) stage 4 indys? I think Im a little late to the stage 4 release as i can't really find them that easy.
The closest size to a 149 is either the 151(8.6) or the 146(8.25). Here’s some links to 4 shops that have them. They’re still out there and imo it would be cooler to order from one of these places or a similarly independent shop than a big online retailer or nhs themselves

https://kcdcskateshop.com/products/independent-stage-4-polished-trucks?variant=44363006345458

https://laskate.com/products/independent-stage-4-polished-set-of-2-trucks?variant=40516304142397&srsltid=ASuE1wRYEU85v2qD7So2UNUtNiH9dck16iv_z1dJ__i4BWluDDoBboOnasw

https://www.35thave.com/shop/Skate/Trucks/Independent/p/Independent-Stage-4-Polished-Trucks-set-of-2-x67824917.htm

https://orchardshop.com/collections/trucks/products/independent-stage-4-polished-trucks-sold-as-a-single-truck?variant=42239987581093
fuck you bama

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3653 on: July 17, 2023, 10:08:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not entirely, no. I do a lot of woodworking and some brands of the same grit sandpaper seem to generate different levels of dust. Just because the grit is similar doesn't necessarily mean whatever holds it on is the same or the backing paper is the same

bcoz of the peaks and valleys of the grit.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
« Reply #3654 on: July 17, 2023, 10:49:15 AM »
How are lakai shoes? Im thinking about some telfords or cambridge.

Are they

-tts (size 11 half cab and blazer are my go to for fit)
-decently comfortable to walk in (last longer than vans)
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

manysnakes

« Reply #3655 on: July 17, 2023, 12:16:12 PM »

Are they

I had some Cambridges and I liked them a lot. I don't know how much walking I did in them, but I didn't feel discomfort at all. Size seemed true, but YYMV. My biggest complaint was that the sole wore out more quickly than most shoes, but overall they skated really well and I thought they looked great.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #3656 on: July 17, 2023, 12:55:40 PM »
i had a pair in 2018 and i blew the side out just from walking in them, didn't skate in them at all. maybe their materials and construction are better now but the ones i had were trash

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #3657 on: July 17, 2023, 02:45:38 PM »

Are they

I really have liked the Lakais I've had in the last couple years. I was a guy that skated nothing but Lakai, but honestly the quality went to such shit that I didn't touch the brand for like 8 years. The last 2 years I've pretty much skated nothing but Lakai or New Balance and I can honestly say Lakai is good again. Big fan of both the Telford and Cambridge and they both fit true to size (I'm also an 11). Skating the Telford Low right now and it's been holding up really well, and I'm a guy that doesn't shoe goo and probably tosses shoes much earlier than most. Been skating them for about a month and I haven't even ripped a stitch yet. And I do a good amount of flip tricks. The one weird thing I will say is that for some reason some of their leather shoes run a bit bigger and don't seem to fit as well. But I prefer suede anyway so I just only buy suede shoes from them. They keep sending me 20% off codes but I'm not buying anything else from them until the Griffin Gass shoe comes out.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3658 on: July 17, 2023, 05:05:14 PM »

The Stage 4 reissues only came out in certain sizes, so not 149 exactly, but the 146 (8.375) or 151 (8.625) are the closest width to 149s.

If you like your trucks to sit under a bit, go the 146 size, or if you like the extra width go the 151s.

I usually put three washers on the inside of all my 149s so the wider ones would be good for me, more transition based, whereas others who prefer a no extra washer setup could ride the 146 size and be happy.

Hope that helps.

The Indy Stage 4 thread is here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=126174.0

I just saw this when looking for info, so thought it would help here too.  Sizes are closer to what they were back when earlier stages came out, maybe also trying to cater to some who like the Ace Classic sizes too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Uncle Jeffrey

• Rep: 36
« Reply #3659 on: July 17, 2023, 06:47:50 PM »
Is there a verdict on boards left in hot cars?

Decided to skate for the first time in ages after relationship stuff kicked my ass.

Ended up leaving my board in the car for like two weeks of mostly 80-90 temperatures.