Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 221364 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1132
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4200 on: November 12, 2023, 05:58:29 PM »
what should one wear, if they like the look and feel
of half-cabs and old schools, but are near crippled by skating in them? 
silly question i know. bought some nice asics but they look too good to skate in.

JugeL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 310
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4201 on: November 12, 2023, 10:51:38 PM »
Is C1rca still a thing? I've seen atleast three pairs in the wild lately and wondered what the fuck is going on. To be fair, all were pretty much new skaters.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4202 on: November 12, 2023, 11:22:49 PM »
Is C1rca still a thing? I've seen atleast three pairs in the wild lately and wondered what the fuck is going on. To be fair, all were pretty much new skaters.
I think they got the "Fallen treatment"
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 220
« Reply #4203 on: November 13, 2023, 12:09:13 AM »
to those wearing pants 2-4+ sizes too wide
how are they staying on you

Cut two vertical slits on the inside of the waistband near the front button.

With a seam ripper or exacto knife remove any patches on the waistband that prevent a shoelace/cord from being threaded through.

Using a safety pin or tying shoelace/cord to something somewhat thin and long, thread it through the waistband and boom, you have a drawstring.

If you like the pants and plan on keeping them fit a while, finish off the edges of your vertical cuts with a needle and thread.

I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Nymphicus hollandicus

• Rep: 22
« Reply #4204 on: November 13, 2023, 03:30:22 AM »
rain setup? who has it? any ideas? it’s not gonna be a lot of tricks, more just skating for distance in the rain. try to keep from becoming a total sedentary pos this winter

Appreciate you asking this as I have been thinking just the same thing lately and was going to ask a similar question.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i agree with the super juices (softest, widest , most stable wheel possible) and whatever bearings and deck you dont care about cause i dont think theres mcuh you can do to save em.

You could put snow skate grips on as well because wet grip tape is not very reliable. Alexis Lacroix did this.

i was wondering if spraying the entire complete (maybe not the bearings...) with a galvanizing spray paint could keep it from rusting / seal the wood a bit from getting so water logged. i might try it this winter never got aroudn to it yet. the cans are pretty expensive for a weird 1 time experiment...
[close]

i like this snow skate idea for grip.

i appreciate any ideas on this one, the cold, wet, dark rainy season is not my best time.
my concern with the super juices is that they will fall apart really quickly with the super rough roads where i am
[close]

i personally would not drop $55 canadian on Super Juices and then use them on a rain deck either tbh.

If you have to get a new wheel for it, get Ricta Clouds. they are always on sale for super cheap ($30 canadian). they make 2 duros im pretty sure 78a and 93a... so you have the same problem with them shredding possible on the 78a but they are at least more of a current shape so they would be a bit more conduscive for street skating. the 93a would probably work fine and again much cheaper then getting dragons or whatever. if you can find something in the 80 duros for cheap it could be worth a try but there arent a ton of optiosn and most of the ones i have tried like rat bones would still chip as they have that old school shape.
[close]
Mini logo 90a or 95a wheels are great and even cheaper.

Solid advice all round, I'm lucky that I have a selection of spare barely used 56mm wheel sets to choose from for my rain board build (Pig 101a, Rough Riders 80a and Mini-Logo 95a). Of those three I was leaning towards the Mini-Logo 95a to try out first as they seem just forgiving/firm enough to (hopefully) cope with the damp ground and not slide out too much. Happy they've been mentioned:)
I've always thought that 78/80a wheels in general would be really slippy in the rain? Is it more to do with the ones mentioned like Super Juices having a wide riding surface?
My plan is to just use my rain board for pushing around when its crappy outside and not really attempting any tricks.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1056
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4205 on: November 13, 2023, 03:51:56 AM »
to those wearing pants 2-4+ sizes too wide
how are they staying on you

Yeah that thread the shoe lace through the inside of the supersized pants was our go to back in the day, never quite so careful as you two with how we did it though.

Poke or cut a hole in each side of the button on the inside, feed a shoe lace usually put through something like a pen shell through the pants and then tie up with the excess inside, so there were no loose ends, wear until they fell apart, but usually they were already cheap or thrift shop pants anyway.

Nowdays I like the comfort of a clamp belt, which I can easily adjust to exactly how I want it and don't recall I have had any issues, but I know other people will not skate with a belt after falling on it.  It depends on how many belt loops there are too, as some pants just don't have enough, or in the right areas, which can suck / where the shoe lace inside the belt line really comes into its own for comfort and durability.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4206 on: November 13, 2023, 06:19:54 AM »
Expand Quote
rain setup? who has it? any ideas? it’s not gonna be a lot of tricks, more just skating for distance in the rain. try to keep from becoming a total sedentary pos this winter
[close]

Appreciate you asking this as I have been thinking just the same thing lately and was going to ask a similar question.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i agree with the super juices (softest, widest , most stable wheel possible) and whatever bearings and deck you dont care about cause i dont think theres mcuh you can do to save em.

You could put snow skate grips on as well because wet grip tape is not very reliable. Alexis Lacroix did this.

i was wondering if spraying the entire complete (maybe not the bearings...) with a galvanizing spray paint could keep it from rusting / seal the wood a bit from getting so water logged. i might try it this winter never got aroudn to it yet. the cans are pretty expensive for a weird 1 time experiment...
[close]

i appreciate any ideas on this one, the cold, wet, dark rainy season is not my best time.
my concern with the super juices is that they will fall apart really quickly with the super rough roads where i am
[close]

i personally would not drop $55 canadian on Super Juices and then use them on a rain deck either tbh.

If you have to get a new wheel for it, get Ricta Clouds. they are always on sale for super cheap ($30 canadian). they make 2 duros im pretty sure 78a and 93a... so you have the same problem with them shredding possible on the 78a but they are at least more of a current shape so they would be a bit more conduscive for street skating. the 93a would probably work fine and again much cheaper then getting dragons or whatever. if you can find something in the 80 duros for cheap it could be worth a try but there arent a ton of optiosn and most of the ones i have tried like rat bones would still chip as they have that old school shape.
[close]
[close]

Solid advice all round, I'm lucky that I have a selection of spare barely used 56mm wheel sets to choose from for my rain board build (Pig 101a, Rough Riders 80a and Mini-Logo 95a). Of those three I was leaning towards the Mini-Logo 95a to try out first as they seem just forgiving/firm enough to (hopefully) cope with the damp ground and not slide out too much. Happy they've been mentioned:)
I've always thought that 78/80a wheels in general would be really slippy in the rain? Is it more to do with the ones mentioned like Super Juices having a wide riding surface?
My plan is to just use my rain board for pushing around when its crappy outside and not really attempting any tricks.

i’m of the same mind: more pushing and hills. rough riders were great for me, but i never took them down anything

Nymphicus hollandicus

• Rep: 22
« Reply #4207 on: November 13, 2023, 12:01:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

i’m of the same mind: more pushing and hills. rough riders were great for me, but i never took them down anything

Good stuff, I'd love to see some more rain setups for inspiration, maybe you could show yours in the set-up thread when its all done? I plan to upload a picture of mine when I've thrown it all together in a couple of days time. Going to keep it very basic/bland but functional for me, same wheelbase and truck size/type as my main board etc.
The reality is at this time of year where I live its more or less always damp out on the streets (when I can actually go skating that is, so in the very late evenings and super early) so sorting out a board that can be used then is a must. I'm finding it way too easy to just stay in and not go out again after work so want a board that is ready to go anytime :)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4208 on: November 13, 2023, 12:41:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Good stuff, I'd love to see some more rain setups for inspiration, maybe you could show yours in the set-up thread when its all done? I plan to upload a picture of mine when I've thrown it all together in a couple of days time. Going to keep it very basic/bland but functional for me, same wheelbase and truck size/type as my main board etc.
The reality is at this time of year where I live its more or less always damp out on the streets (when I can actually go skating that is, so in the very late evenings and super early) so sorting out a board that can be used then is a must. I'm finding it way too easy to just stay in and not go out again after work so want a board that is ready to go anytime :)

i just skated my best board on a damp day, got plenty of moss and duck crap all over it.
‘twas a good exercise in not being so dainty with my skateboard.

manysnakes

« Reply #4209 on: November 13, 2023, 02:34:06 PM »
I'm just gonna try it without screws. Bets are open, how long will they stick to the deck? Gonna skate a flatbar for a few hours tomorrow as a test. I say it's gonna work forever.

The double sided tape can handle 6 kg per 25 cm. The rails are 36 cm long, I've taped the full length and I really don't think there's a lot of force on rails that could rip them off in any direction.

Last time I did rails, I just used double sided tape and it lasted for the life of the board and proved difficult to remove when I finally took them off. Screws are belt-and-suspenders when you’re using strong tape.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #4210 on: November 13, 2023, 02:38:47 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm just gonna try it without screws. Bets are open, how long will they stick to the deck? Gonna skate a flatbar for a few hours tomorrow as a test. I say it's gonna work forever.

The double sided tape can handle 6 kg per 25 cm. The rails are 36 cm long, I've taped the full length and I really don't think there's a lot of force on rails that could rip them off in any direction.
[close]

Last time I did rails, I just used double sided tape and it lasted for the life of the board and proved difficult to remove when I finally took them off. Screws are belt-and-suspenders when you’re using strong tape.
Hell yeah. My second day of mainly flatbar skating without screws was successful as well.

manysnakes

« Reply #4211 on: November 13, 2023, 02:40:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Hell yeah. My second day of mainly flatbar skating without screws was successful as well.

I made sure to press them on really well. I might have even used some clamps to set them, but this was at least four years ago so I really don’t remember. I did remove the rails earlier this year and it required a heat gun.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 876
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #4212 on: November 13, 2023, 06:47:44 PM »
thanks for the advice with the shoelace waistband
will try on the next set of pants but im deciding the sizing

im currently between 32-34” waist
do i go up to 38” waist or go stupid with 40”?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Kaydubbb

• Rep: 20
« Reply #4213 on: November 13, 2023, 07:18:44 PM »
Been trying to find my perfect deck lately, but I don't get much chance to pop into a shop and looks at boards. Looking for something with a mellow concave and kicks and also a long tail closer to 7" in length, somewhere around the 14.5 wheelbase and 8.38 width, in a band aid shape. Don't care about total length nose too much. Problem is when I look at boards online sometimes the dimensions don't line up with the total length listed. I add up the nose, wheelbase and tail length and then add in 4.25" to account for space between the bolts and half the time it's over or under the total listed length of the deck. I assume this is due to certain manufacturers measuring pre or post press but it makes it hard to pick a board to try. Any recommendations?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4214 on: November 13, 2023, 11:20:43 PM »
DLX or Baker 8.38 is right about those dimensions.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4215 on: November 14, 2023, 06:01:56 AM »
DLX or Baker 8.38 is right about those dimensions.

isn’t the tail 6.5 ish on the dlx?

geezer

• Rep: 37
« Reply #4216 on: November 14, 2023, 10:49:28 AM »
silly question i know. bought some nice asics but they look too good to skate in.
I'd go with old schools just for the fact that I don't want any of my money going to Cab. See "lame instagram posts by pros" thread  ;D

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4217 on: November 14, 2023, 04:33:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'd go with old schools just for the fact that I don't want any of my money going to Cab. See "lame instagram posts by pros" thread  ;D

not wrong. i’ve never thought of it as his shoe. milton, puleo, carroll, mullendore, stone, quim, etc etc

emotional_degloving

• Rep: 44
« Reply #4218 on: November 14, 2023, 05:38:11 PM »
Yo is anyone clued into Spitfire's new Burner wheels? Are they just rebranded bigheads or are they like the secret third thing Spitfire are doing?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 873
« Reply #4219 on: November 14, 2023, 06:11:20 PM »
Looks like its just an entry level/ price point/ no frills wheel.

You have F4, Classic Formula and Burners. As they get cheaper I think its safe to assume the quality and performance goes down.

I doubt they offer anything exciting if you are already aquatinted with F4s. On the plus side they look very white for those of you that need as white a wheel as possible. Prob decent enough for a budget set up.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2290
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #4220 on: November 14, 2023, 07:12:16 PM »
Looks like it’s just an entry level/ price point/ no frills wheel.
This is essentially correct.
Reckon there’s a whole lot of market share in 1st time purchases, and cost is usually a factor in those buyers equations.  They haven’t really offered a cheap (lower cost, lower spec) wheel until now because the core market has bouyed them for lo, these last 35 years. 
But every player knows that there’s truth in the words of the Wu: you gotta diversify your bonds, son!
They won’t leave good money on the table when they possess the capacity to meet that need.
Nevermind the fact that they can establish lifelong brand loyalties by being a skaters 1st set of wheels, rather than, say, if they were to buy those Bones cheapies. 
Smart move. 
But for those wondering if they’ve just unlocked a secret code to coming up on some high-end Spits on the cheap… nah.  This ain’t that.
Spitfire is (now) for the children (too.)
Again w/ the Wu.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

mstuntbless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #4221 on: November 14, 2023, 07:45:26 PM »
I have had 5 pair of converse PL vulcs in a row. Just got another pair and I swear they are a half size bigger. Has anyone ever experienced this?!?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4222 on: November 14, 2023, 08:49:57 PM »
anyone skated the limosine 9”?

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 148
« Reply #4223 on: November 15, 2023, 02:07:37 AM »
Why do more 'techy' or durable cupsoles not come with tongue-centering straps per default? For example, the new NB600 as well as the Maranas come without. Is it lower production costs or simply the preference of the respective pro?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 02:14:43 AM by devils acrobat »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 638
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4224 on: November 15, 2023, 04:38:38 AM »
Sorry pals, but I need your advice.

I got some Half Cab's and don't know which size I am anymore in shoes. My left foot is a tiny bit longer as my right one. My biggest toe ends where the thumb is. I don't know if that is enough space or if I should go up half a size. If I go up half a size, the right shoe feels a tad too big, but maybe I am just not used to that feeling. I always wore a 7.5 US in all the shoes I had. The 7.5 fits a bit snug, which I always preferred. I can feel the plastic inserts on both heels but the toes on both feet have a bit of wiggle room. The US 8 feels a bit long and roomy on the right foot.

That's how the foot sits on the insole.

Both photos were taken around 1 pm while I stood up with all my weight. Any help would really be appreciated.
IG: @flowterspace

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4225 on: November 15, 2023, 05:19:04 AM »

I got some Half Cab's and don't know which size I am anymore in shoes. My left foot is a tiny bit longer as my right one. My biggest toe ends where the thumb is. I don't know if that is enough space or if I should go up half a size. If I go up half a size, the right shoe feels a tad too big, but maybe I am just not used to that feeling. I always wore a 7.5 US in all the shoes I had. The 7.5 fits a bit snug, which I always preferred. I can feel the plastic inserts on both heels but the toes on both feet have a bit of wiggle room. The US 8 feels a bit long and roomy on the right foot.

Both photos were taken around 1 pm while I stood up with all my weight. Any help would really be appreciated.
Quit skating Vans and problem will be solved. Brand is not what it used to be.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rikki

• Rep: 324
« Reply #4226 on: November 15, 2023, 05:33:17 AM »
After skating for almost a year in NBs I tried on Half Cabs for the first time in a long while. They felt like shit.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #4227 on: November 15, 2023, 05:39:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Quit skating Vans and problem will be solved. Brand is not what it used to be.

Yep, try on some different brands/different models.  You'll find something that fits your particular foot better.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 638
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4228 on: November 15, 2023, 05:40:25 AM »
Except for the 808 and 600 I tried every NB# model in various sizes. These shoes just doesn't seem to fit my foot type. Most are too narrow at the midfoot or at the heels.
The NB# 306 was the only model that seemed to fit me well, but I didn't like the floppy feel near the toes because of that cut out toe wave thing on top of the shoe.
IG: @flowterspace

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #4229 on: November 15, 2023, 06:06:08 AM »
Except for the 808 and 600 I tried every NB# model in various sizes. These shoes just doesn't seem to fit my foot type. Most are too narrow at the midfoot or at the heels.
The NB# 306 was the only model that seemed to fit me well, but I didn't like the floppy feel near the toes because of that cut out toe wave thing on top of the shoe.

Not sure if you are opposed to this, but you may want to try something soletech.  It seems like they have models that fit people who have fit issues with other brands.  KSL g6 would be my pick - roomy throughout.