Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
481 (71%)
Yeah I guess a bit
160 (23.6%)
Indifferent either way
15 (2.2%)
Not really
11 (1.6%)
No never
10 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 673

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 157383 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Anybody had a frog, that they like?

I’m looking for an 8.5 deck, but the most important measurement isn’t the width: I just need the board to be close to 32”, but not greater than 32”. This rules out a lot of dlx shapes.

Baker would also be a go, seems like they make less b2s.

Anyways, if anyone has an 8.5 recommendation for a stranger, that’d be great. Thanks

What would be your ideal dimensions?

The main reason I ask is that many BBS wood boards up in the 8.38 through 8.5 range are usually a bit over 32, often with 14.5 wb on the 8.5 size boards, but some brands do have the shorter wheelbase and in turn shorter deck overall as well.

Quite a number of them list the length of the 8.5 as 32 even but almost all I have measured or skated are a bit over that, including Baker, Deathwish, Passport all having those same dimensions but being more like or exactly the same size overall as the Frog board, eg

Frog Cursed (Milic) Deck 8.5

Width: 8.5"

Length: 32.25"

Wheelbase: 14.5"

That said, there is the DLX board in 8.5 that is the shorter one, but a lot of people say the board listed as 8.5 x 31.8 with 14.25 wb is in fact only 8.3 wide anyway, which is often a good size, but not if you wanted a wider board to start with.

The Real tropical series with shorter wheelbases had a good one at 8.5 x 32 with 14.1 or so if I recall correctly, but also the new short AH boards at 8.5 x 31.7 with 14 even wb.

Some other brands do something in about the 8.5 to 8.6 x 31.8 (almost 32) with 14.25 wb which I will look for, but also the other AH shorter version 8.75 x 31.7 with 14.25 seems like it would be good with those dimensions too.  I know that is not the question right now, but I seem to recall a number of people being quite keen on the 8.75 sizes, maybe "Off" more so than "Ok" in the Slap pals list.

* I do find that those BBS 8.5 boards are a really good shape and work very well, as per this post from a while back now, but I am still really happy with the 8.5 size, 14.5 wheelbase, 6.75" tail, 7.1 or so nose and whatever that ends up being in overall length is nice, but might be a touch longer than what you are after.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSV3emllWYC/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

I know it has already been said, but it seems like more and more of the bigger well established brands are turning to cheaper boards from China or "unknown" places.

A few more board brands I saw just recently didn't have the usual stickers and were not the same wood as what they had been before when I went into a shop and had a stand on a lot of boards.

I do wonder too if this is not just here in AU with certain distributors, or if it is world wide with everything under that specific brand, as a way of cutting costs and still getting their product out there.

Anyone else find their usual boards are not what they thought they were from the last time you got one?

disappointed

• Rep: 100
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched

I know it has already been said, but it seems like more and more of the bigger well established brands are turning to cheaper boards from China or "unknown" places.

A few more board brands I saw just recently didn't have the usual stickers and were not the same wood as what they had been before when I went into a shop and had a stand on a lot of boards.

I do wonder too if this is not just here in AU with certain distributors, or if it is world wide with everything under that specific brand, as a way of cutting costs and still getting their product out there.

Anyone else find their usual boards are not what they thought they were from the last time you got one?

Yeah, for me, this just loses customers in the long run and devalues the product. Once a brand starts chopping and changing, I’m out. I just don’t need the headache.

nitro89

• Rep: 88

I bought an 8.38 Desarmo from primitive last month from there latest drop believing it was going to be bbs wood however it turned up with a 'made in china' label on it with the single dot on the front truck bolts.

the shape is lovely, super mellow, straight rails and nice big tail. all the specs match up to the deck sizes on there website. so no loss there more of a bonus if anything.

so i decided to buy another 8.38 Desarmo primitive from a previous drop to sit on ice while i skate the first one thinking it would be the same shape etc. but its not. the specs are all different.

the second deck had a 'made in mexico' sticker on it so I'm pretty sure its bbs wood.

china (unknown woodshop) = 31.88 x 8.38 w/14.1875 wb (same specs shown on primitive website)

Mexico (BBS) = 31.925 x 8.38 w/ 14.2 wb

kind of frustrating tbh but what can you do. might have to stop ordering online if this is going to be a recurring theme with board companies for a while.

what other companies are people seeing these kind of issues with?

"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."

Most shops and skaters I know in Japan (Tokyo/Saitama area) couldn't care less where their decks are sourced from.

However, thus far, everything I've come across recently in my neck of the woods (Tokyo) at most skate shops has jived with the listings of the "Current Woodshed Directory 2022" list. But I've been paying attention primarily to PS Stix, BBS, and Pennswood produced brands.

Will update if anything changes.

***EDIT***

Tangentially related - my homie's shop recently started carrying ChicoStix, so for anyone in Japan who's looking for them.

https://riverbirchskateshop.com
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

I bought an 8.38 Desarmo from primitive last month from there latest drop believing it was going to be bbs wood however it turned up with a 'made in china' label on it with the single dot on the front truck bolts.

the shape is lovely, super mellow, straight rails and nice big tail. all the specs match up to the deck sizes on there website. so no loss there more of a bonus if anything.

so i decided to buy another 8.38 Desarmo primitive from a previous drop to sit on ice while i skate the first one thinking it would be the same shape etc. but its not. the specs are all different.

the second deck had a 'made in mexico' sticker on it so I'm pretty sure its bbs wood.

china (unknown woodshop) = 31.88 x 8.38 w/14.1875 wb (same specs shown on primitive website)

kind of frustrating tbh but what can you do. might have to stop ordering online if this is going to be a recurring theme with board companies for a while.

Not sure how many others, but off the top of my head there are quite a few including Element, Doom Sayers, DGK, Birdhouse, who were all BBS and some now showing as "Made in China" or not having the usual BBS stickers or made in information.

It was noted that Darkroom had to source wood elsewhere with delays but are back on BBS now (as per the board I have from them more recently), as were Uma Landsleds from last year, but I haven't seen new product from them so don't know.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Recent haul:
8.3 Quasi Henry twin

It has the BBS dot...so I'm going with BBS.

Also has sweet ass matching top/middle plys

Copied from the "Bought recently" thread, good pics of BBS wood Quasi deck.

Thank you XEN!!!

« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 03:40:36 AM by Woodshop »

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
Looking forward to seeing some BBS Quasi in Australia to compare it from the PS Stix. I did enjoy the PS shape
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

vicious cycle

• Rep: 160
Does anyone has some info about Censorship Skateboards ?
It's Roberto Alemañ's brand out of Spain.
I wonder where the decks are being made.
Edit: I found a shop were it says "made in Spain" so it's hlc I guess ?
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Does anyone has some info about Censorship Skateboards ?
It's Roberto Alemañ's brand out of Spain.
I wonder where the decks are being made.
Edit: I found a shop were it says "made in Spain" so it's hlc I guess ?

I would say that is correct then.

This instagram post has a good top view, but nothing as to where it was made anyway.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc-nFJyMY8M/

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
looking for a mellow shape that goes with my big(ger) wheels.

Preferably big fat round nose & tail (doesn't have to be shovel) somewhere between 8 and 8.5.

what brands (/manufacturers) to look for?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy

Preferably big fat round nose & tail (doesn't have to be shovel) somewhere between 8 and 8.5.

I guess it is down to what is available, but for me a lot of BBS brands have good shapes, mellow concave and are often easy enough to get, but depending on brand preference or where you are, there are a lot more options.

Even between different shapes from the same brand, there can often be a fair number of better shapes for that sort of thing and some that might not work so well.

Were you thinking Baker / Birdhouse / or similar shapes as per the post earlier on this page with big round kicks, or something more stubby and squared off like the Alien Workshop / Habitat shapes as per this post below?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc5BLD2pU5f/
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Damoforce

Polar is the go I reckon. Some come with the wheel cutouts too.
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

Polar is the go I reckon. Some come with the wheel cutouts too.

They do have good shapes, often a little shorter wheelbases so a bit more in the kicks too.

There are lots in that category, especially in the 8.5 sizes as they are more rounded than the smaller boards, when lining them all up, eg an 8 on 8.1 on 8.25 on 8.38 on 8.5, the 8.5 will often be more rounded.

Exceptions to that including boards from AWS which are more long and stubby, as per pics and info above.

Others on the BBS list besides those above I have / had include Passport, Black Label, even April if you want shorter wheelbases.

DLX boards in the Full SE versions, especially III and IV stamped boards are more on the mellow side and all of them have big rounded kicks.

Some of the others are a little steeper overall, including Polar in the boards I have had, but they are still more in the medium concave range, definitely not like FA / Hockey boards anyway.

nitro89

• Rep: 88
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Not sure how many others, but off the top of my head there are quite a few including Element, Doom Sayers, DGK, Birdhouse, who were all BBS and some now showing as "Made in China" or not having the usual BBS stickers or made in information.

It was noted that Darkroom had to source wood elsewhere with delays but are back on BBS now (as per the board I have from them more recently), as were Uma Landsleds from last year, but I haven't seen new product from them so don't know.

so after roiling out last saturday ive had to take off my 'chinese made' pro primitive deck.

i skated it maybe 10 hours total and its sogged out something horrible!

i ollied onto the down rail at my local for a boardslide no different than i always do and i felt it go all limp as i made contact with the rail. could see the tail flex loads after just by standing, let alone setting up to pop anything sounded dead too.

the fact its done that and hasnt cracked is fooking annoying!

i stopped skating ps stix for that exact reason so im gutted theres now another woodshop out there to be aware of.

check the top labels in your local shop or ask them on the phone before you make your orders online so you dont get caught out like me and end up with a sub par wooden wife.

ive slapped on the BBS made primitive i had on ice now so looking forward to getting a session in on some solid wood this week weather permitting.

ive seen three different label types on primitive decks now after doing some website searching yesterday.

'made in' - America, Mexico, China.

so be careful with your purchases peeps and always locate those BBS badboys if you can.

"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
i've been reading here that there's a drop in quality of bbs boards and for what it's worth i snapped the nose a brand new alien workshop deck yesterday after 30 minutes of skating flatground.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
i've been reading here that there's a drop in quality of bbs boards and for what it's worth i snapped the nose a brand new alien workshop deck yesterday after 30 minutes of skating flatground.

It definitely seems like more people are saying they have snapped BBS boards, but I recall shortly after production came back online again around mid to late 2020, there were a number of complaints and people were saying it seemed like the boards were being rushed out and the quality was suffering as a result.

The thirty or so I have had since then have all been fine, no issues, but some others I skate with have said a board here or there was quick to break too, not just people online here, so who knows exactly what is going on...

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

On another note, I am not sure if anyone has actually skated one of the Xinda / Foxen woodshop decks, but their instagram has some rather curious things, least of all driving over their boards and videos of them demonstrating quality by gently jumping on the decks.

Guessing there would be substantial differences between this and actual pressure from skateboarding, but who knows.

I will just stick to riding them, but I know some people say a board that has too much flex is not so good either.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHA5A27F9eW/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ca4L8uRFdmi/

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
Expand Quote
Anybody had a frog, that they like?

I’m looking for an 8.5 deck, but the most important measurement isn’t the width: I just need the board to be close to 32”, but not greater than 32”. This rules out a lot of dlx shapes.

Baker would also be a go, seems like they make less b2s.

Anyways, if anyone has an 8.5 recommendation for a stranger, that’d be great. Thanks
[close]

What would be your ideal dimensions?

The main reason I ask is that many BBS wood boards up in the 8.38 through 8.5 range are usually a bit over 32, often with 14.5 wb on the 8.5 size boards, but some brands do have the shorter wheelbase and in turn shorter deck overall as well.

Quite a number of them list the length of the 8.5 as 32 even but almost all I have measured or skated are a bit over that, including Baker, Deathwish, Passport all having those same dimensions but being more like or exactly the same size overall as the Frog board, eg

Frog Cursed (Milic) Deck 8.5

Width: 8.5"

Length: 32.25"

Wheelbase: 14.5"

That said, there is the DLX board in 8.5 that is the shorter one, but a lot of people say the board listed as 8.5 x 31.8 with 14.25 wb is in fact only 8.3 wide anyway, which is often a good size, but not if you wanted a wider board to start with.

The Real tropical series with shorter wheelbases had a good one at 8.5 x 32 with 14.1 or so if I recall correctly, but also the new short AH boards at 8.5 x 31.7 with 14 even wb.

Some other brands do something in about the 8.5 to 8.6 x 31.8 (almost 32) with 14.25 wb which I will look for, but also the other AH shorter version 8.75 x 31.7 with 14.25 seems like it would be good with those dimensions too.  I know that is not the question right now, but I seem to recall a number of people being quite keen on the 8.75 sizes, maybe "Off" more so than "Ok" in the Slap pals list.

* I do find that those BBS 8.5 boards are a really good shape and work very well, as per this post from a while back now, but I am still really happy with the 8.5 size, 14.5 wheelbase, 6.75" tail, 7.1 or so nose and whatever that ends up being in overall length is nice, but might be a touch longer than what you are after.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSV3emllWYC/

I forgot to check back on this thanks!

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 220
The Hearthrobs woodshop?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
The Hearthrobs woodshop?

Do you mean these guys?

Nothing on Instagram since 2013 but they had "Made in USA" in the tags.

Is there a new version of the company or something else?

https://www.instagram.com/p/TZMztUMOEB/

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
The Hearthrobs woodshop?

Edit:  Confirmed it is BBS (that was quick!)

Then there is this lot from 2020, which look more like BBS with the concave highlighted - curved kicks.

https://orchardshop.com/blogs/news/move-toward-a-better-world

https://orchardshop.com/collections/heartthrobs

Boards currently in stock, so they might be able to tell you if you hit them up.

Also found the newer instagram, which didn't come up first.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdRQARbJwXX/
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 06:30:47 PM by Woodshop »

Damoforce

Does anyone know the details and shapes on Sour Solution decks? I notice they have a few like S1 S2 S5 and a couple of others too

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

AMPT Skateshop in Arcata, CA

BBS wood as per board pic from this post:

local shop deck. BBS/Generator wood. 8.5

Lots of options in this post too, shaped decks on the second pic.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXy1XdLvF4Q/

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Does anyone know the details and shapes on Sour Solution decks? I notice they have a few like S1 S2 S5 and a couple of others too

Apart from seeing some in a couple of shops, there are not many round here, those I did see didn't have any info or anything on them really.

They are from HLC, which I recall seeing some board shapes and info somewhere, but not sure.

HLC (est 2000)
Europe (Spain)
https://hlcskateboardfactory.com/
https://www.instagram.com/hlcdistribution/

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
You can see the dimensions of decks from the last drop in the official page https://soursolution.club/collections/sp22
somewhere i read S1 is medium and S4 is mellow concave, but you can also see the photos of the decks.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Expand Quote
[close]
You can see the dimensions of decks from the last drop in the official page https://soursolution.club/collections/sp22
somewhere i read S1 is medium and S4 is mellow concave, but you can also see the photos of the decks.

Here’s the HLC catalog with details on all the shapes they have.

https://hlcskateboardfactory.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/hlc-oem-skateboard-catalog.pdf

Which is which in Sour is another question then but maybe it can be worked out from there somehow.

It’s still very baffling to me how they all have 14.2” wb except one old school shape with a 14.6” wb and then the mini decks.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352

AMPT Skateshop in Arcata, CA

BBS wood as per board pic from this post:

Expand Quote
local shop deck. BBS/Generator wood. 8.5

[close]

Lots of options in this post too, shaped decks on the second pic.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXy1XdLvF4Q/

it's good wood. new graphic coming up soon from what I hear. under $50 with grip. can't go wrong
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

slappyjoes

• Rep: 38
Random question but does anyone know what woodshop zero was using for the shallow grave concave back when blackbox dist was still a thing?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Random question but does anyone know what woodshop zero was using for the shallow grave concave back when blackbox dist was still a thing?

They actually had their own Black Box woodshop just over the border, which is gone now, but all of the boards at the peak of Zero, Mystery and Slave were from there, as well as any of their other brands like Threat, from 2000 until early 2014 or something.

Then they went to Dwindle wood and had a run there for a while, then changed again, Zero back under a smaller DIY type thing in more recent years, BBS, Clutch woodshops in USA and various others including wood from China for AU and Asia.

Someone else closer to the source might be able to help with that.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 07:01:56 PM by Woodshop »