Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
481 (71%)
Yeah I guess a bit
160 (23.6%)
Indifferent either way
15 (2.2%)
Not really
11 (1.6%)
No never
10 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 673

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 157517 times)

SlapMcKracken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 90

Sure sure? Cause some shops say it’s ps. I do t know when this came out unfortunately
BBS for sure.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
This board was released after Hockey / FA made the switch to BBS

I guess shops still list them as PS because they just duplicate the product page (from previous drops) without changing what needs to be updated

SlapMcKracken

Alright , thx !

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
8.12 or 8.125 they can be listed as, but it is the same width.

Are those boards you guys have skated all 8.125 x 32 with 14.25 wb, 7 nose and 6.75 tail? 
[close]

I don't have the Magenta specs unfortunately, it was a 8.125. Polar is 32" long, but could be that Magenta was one of the shorter shapes. Tail of Polar feels bit long, not luckily too long.
[close]

Yeah the Magenta was said to be 31.85 or so from spec info.

I have a couple of other 8.125 BBS boards, which all measure the same (as far as I can remember) at 32 long, which is funny as some of the 8.25 boards from most of those brands are a touch less than that.

I thought I had a Passport 8125 here, but it is at the indoor park, so will check that one again on Wednesday.
[close]

Another shape that works for me with Indys: https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/magenta-gore-lucid-dream-8-4-skateboard-deck-multi_p154581

Could this one be the same shape as Grimple 8.4 from few years back, I absolutely loved that one? Seems like 14.25" WB but length less than 32" is my goldilocks shape, width really doesn't count that much.

I had meant to reply.

Yes I had one of those Magenta 8.4 boards too, which was a good in between size, eg not quite 8.5 but still bigger than 8.25 when I was looking for something besides the AH blue eagle 8.5 decks.

That Passport is 8.125 x 32 with 14.25 wb too. 

Shape was the same as the AH black eagle I held it against.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
another notable thing about PS stix boards is that they are wider at the front truck and narrower at the back truck (weird V shape)

Yes for sure.

Many of the PS Stix boards I have had pass through my hands more recently were like this when compared to something of another brand, the PS Stix boards had a lot of taper on them, eg an 8.375 board at the front bolts but less than 8.25 at the back bolts and really noticeable when you look down on it from above.

There are a few BBS boards with that taper, like the AH blue eagle which is about 8.5 at front bolts and 8.3 at the back bolts, the AH white eagle which is 8.75 at the front bolts and just under 8.6 at the back bolts too, but I feel like they are way more uniform in shapes, most boards being a lot more straight through the rails.

There is another blank wholesale supplier brand I see a lot of here (unknown China) that have most shapes being nice - very straight through the rail, but the 8.5 for some reason has ridiculous taper, going down under 8.25 at the back bolts, which I don't find at all appealing.  The 8.375 and the 8.75 are straight and look good, as do all other sizes, so it was just weird that one board is so different.

To have all the shapes, like most PS Stix shapes seem to taper though is something I think I heard explained in that it still gives width through the front foot area but the taper gives a more streamlined and lighter back of the board, or something like that.

Some people might like it, but I prefer a board with the same width right through.

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 50
Yes I had one of those Magenta 8.4 boards too, which was a good in between size, eg not quite 8.5 but still bigger than 8.25 when I was looking for something besides the AH blue eagle 8.5 decks.

Exactly. For me, the 8.1 suits 144s and 8.4 149s. These two options seem to have cured my gear madness mostly, which is nice.

I wonder though, can the eighth of an inch in length really make the board feel that much clumsier or is daily variation and/or in my head. 🤔

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How do hockey and GX1000 shapes differ?

I love hockey / fa 8.18 decks with venture v hollow lights and wanted to try a 8.125 GX.
[close]

The different woodshops are probably the main thing, so anything from either woodshop is not quite going to feel the same as the other woodshop in concave comparison, but shapes and angle of kicks, they are not that far apart that you couldn't try one and the other and be at opposite ends of the scale.

Hockey or FA, on BBS, way steeper concave / kicks, much more blunt squared off kicks too, boards and wheelbases more on the shorter side overall compared to some brands.

GX1000 (same as Quasi), on PS Stix, more mellow concave than FA / Hockey but still sometimes steeper kicks than some other brands, blunt and stubby shaped, but not as squared off as some, about average in board length and wheelbase, depending on width and some shape options.
[close]

Thx! Let’s see if I really can feel a difference between them.
I really like the FA Deck, but I think Nollie Flips Are a bit off because of the steep nose. Maybe I get used to it. Maybe not and I just switch around between fa and gx decks.

The clutch O shape is kind of a happy middle ground between the two. They're pretty easy to find most places too. Flip uses it and a lot of pandemic era pizza boards are on it so you can find them in bargain bins pretty regularly. O7 is the 8.25 and O6 is the 8.12, but the 7's are way more common. Dims should be 8.25 x 31.5 14.25 wb but really just look for square/full decks from smaller companies and you have a decent chance of it being a clutch O.

SlapMcKracken

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How do hockey and GX1000 shapes differ?

I love hockey / fa 8.18 decks with venture v hollow lights and wanted to try a 8.125 GX.
[close]

The different woodshops are probably the main thing, so anything from either woodshop is not quite going to feel the same as the other woodshop in concave comparison, but shapes and angle of kicks, they are not that far apart that you couldn't try one and the other and be at opposite ends of the scale.

Hockey or FA, on BBS, way steeper concave / kicks, much more blunt squared off kicks too, boards and wheelbases more on the shorter side overall compared to some brands.

GX1000 (same as Quasi), on PS Stix, more mellow concave than FA / Hockey but still sometimes steeper kicks than some other brands, blunt and stubby shaped, but not as squared off as some, about average in board length and wheelbase, depending on width and some shape options.
[close]

Thx! Let’s see if I really can feel a difference between them.
I really like the FA Deck, but I think Nollie Flips Are a bit off because of the steep nose. Maybe I get used to it. Maybe not and I just switch around between fa and gx decks.
[close]

The clutch O shape is kind of a happy middle ground between the two. They're pretty easy to find most places too. Flip uses it and a lot of pandemic era pizza boards are on it so you can find them in bargain bins pretty regularly. O7 is the 8.25 and O6 is the 8.12, but the 7's are way more common. Dims should be 8.25 x 31.5 14.25 wb but really just look for square/full decks from smaller companies and you have a decent chance of it being a clutch O.

Interesting, thx

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

I just added Metal Skateboards to the list, on BBS through AWS / Habitat distro with some decent shapes and crazy graphics for this small but main drop, as per pics on their instagram and places like Tactics.

https://www.instagram.com/sectogram/

https://www.instagram.com/metalskateboards/

https://www.tactics.com/search/metal+deck

There is a thread going with more info and pics too:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=122035.0

Top of the Ben Raybourn football / egg shape looks cool too (I left it big to see all the top detail):

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
Am I seeing Toy Machine now on BBS wood? Or is that just certain countries?
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

The most recent Toy Machine decks in Australia are still "Made in China" from an unknown woodshop, but it has been fairly widely acknowledged that in USA and other places, Toy Machine decks have been on both BBS and PS Stix since the pandemic.

Looking at some of the bigger US shops that have good pictures of the tops of boards, there is a mix of PS Stix, unknown (China) and others.

Mostly PS Stix on all the new pro boards though, with team boards from unknown (China).

*  Just updated the list with more accurate info

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

2022 Toy Machine new board from a US shop, with PS Stix serial number PS xxx and the larger red / white warning sticker up on the nose of the board.

Click or open in new window for the bigger image:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 09:40:40 AM by Woodshop »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

2022 Toy Machine from an Australian shop, which had "Made in China" on the sticker on the shrink wrap when I saw it in person in a shop, but apart from that, just the Toy Machine logo and the size of board laser engraved on the deck itself.

Click or open in new window for larger image:

goodnews_cigjuice

• Rep: 4
Not sure if anyone has talked about it but Drifter skateboards out of Georgia is doing uncut blanks and unfinished/unsanded blansk for $25.00 Just ordered and uncut blank and an unfinished/unsanded. Unfinished deck was 8.375 with a nice rounded shape. Wheelbase 14.25. The nose and tail are both on the small side which im not a huge fan of. The uncut blanks come undrilled or predrilled with diff. wheelbases. 

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
Not sure if anyone has talked about it but Drifter skateboards out of Georgia is doing uncut blanks and unfinished/unsanded blansk for $25.00 Just ordered and uncut blank and an unfinished/unsanded. Unfinished deck was 8.375 with a nice rounded shape. Wheelbase 14.25. The nose and tail are both on the small side which im not a huge fan of. The uncut blanks come undrilled or predrilled with diff. wheelbases.

I have skated a drifter in a minute. Like 2014. They were the shop deck for everyone back in the day, so I rode a few. I stopped when only because I realized I didn’t like the shape at the time. Big nose, short tail, steep. Similar to what NHS was putting our at the time. Still really solid boards.

I saw this post, which leads me to believe they have since moved to a more bbs-Esque shape. I’ve been wanting to to go by the shop, but it’s about an hours drive.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgAkMWOpGCo/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

SlapMcKracken

I think the steepness of FA decks throws some stuff of for me. I got crazy pop and can skate them good. But I think specially my kickflip consistency ( normal ones , switch/ nollie, fs flips) is down and it doesn’t feel as controlled as with flatter decks.

Then again I really like the pop cause of the steepness and I like the round nose.

You think I might get used to it, or should I try something else next?
GX are steep too, right ? Quasi? Wknd?

Venture hollow lights btw
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 10:20:42 PM by SlapMcKracken »

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
Hey guys I know there’s the search feature to filter this thread to find my answer but I looked and couldn’t find it cause I’m stupid

Anyone know the wood shop that makes zooyork?

It’s gotta be clutch maybe? Cause the quality and shape I’m riding doesn’t seem your typical generic cheap china shape

Terrible description on me but feels like a crailtap but with those new tech deck shape concave that’s hardcore pronounced, deep concave stiff nose and tail
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 01:00:06 AM by rob »
yes

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
I think the steepness of FA decks throws some stuff of for me. I got crazy pop and can skate them good. But I think specially my kickflip consistency ( normal ones , switch/ nollie, fs flips) is down and it doesn’t feel as controlled as with flatter decks.

Then again I really like the pop cause of the steepness and I like the round nose.

For me personally, Quasi had the opposite issue. The tail isn't steep enough. The tail feels really long (even though its fairly short) and flat (comfortable for riding). The tail *feels* long because if you think about it, it is technically longer in terms of going backwards (X/Z axis) because less of the length/angle is going upwards in the air (Y axis) and instead is going straight back.

The tail was causing me to ghost pop a lot when I first got it. Even now the ollie still feels very "delayed", so I had to learn to basically ollie earlier? I liked a lot about the deck-- especially for cruising (a lot of space for your back foot while pushing and turning), and having a really great shallow lever for controlling manuals-- but even now that I am 100% used to the deck, the pop is still a problem that makes me never want to buy one again. I really have to pop the back hard to get a decent ollie. Definitely was holding my ollie height back.

I'm now getting used to a Real Full SE and the tail feels so short and steep in comparison EVEN THOUGH the tail is actually longer than the Quasi! The ollie is jarring come from the Quasi because the Real actually snaps quickly right when I press on it. I am really missing the flat "long" tail for cruising and especially manuals... but I couldn't stand the ollie issues any longer.

I wish there was some sort of deck was is in between a FA and a Quasi. FAs sound too extreme for me, but Quasis are a tad extreme in the other direction. I'm hoping that either this Real Full SE or my Polar P2 (next deck after this one) ends up being the shape for me.

EDIT: Oh also, I'm using Ace trucks if that changes anything about how the tail pops. I've heard mellow tail and tall trucks can be an awkward combo I think and would explain that issue?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 01:23:07 AM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

clintendo

• Rep: 24
Expand Quote
[close]

The most recent Toy Machine decks in Australia are still "Made in China" from an unknown woodshop, but it has been fairly widely acknowledged that in USA and other places, Toy Machine decks have been on both BBS and PS Stix since the pandemic.

Looking at some of the bigger US shops that have good pictures of the tops of boards, there is a mix of PS Stix, unknown (China) and others.

Mostly PS Stix on all the new pro boards though, with team boards from unknown (China).

*  Just updated the list with more accurate info

Damn thats still a thing for Toy & Foundation in Aus huh, $120 asking price for the same black dyed top china boards is gnarly compared to Pass-Port BBS

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Hey guys I know there’s the search feature to filter this thread to find my answer but I looked and couldn’t find it cause I’m stupid

Anyone know the wood shop that makes zooyork?

It’s gotta be clutch maybe? Cause the quality and shape I’m riding doesn’t seem your typical generic cheap china shape

Terrible description on me but feels like a crailtap but with those new tech deck shape concave that’s hardcore pronounced, deep concave stiff nose and tail

Once the brand had a really good standing, but it seemed like it was sold, or sold out and was repurposed into a more generic brand for mainly clothing in department stores as far as I knew, so I don't have any current info on it really, which is frustrating.

Also, it might not have come up if you didn't have a space between Zoo and York.

I have tried to have the first page, first post with the master list, the most recent info I had was this:

Zoo York* -2020   ……….   ……….   Chapman
Zoo York* (EU) 2021   ……….   ……….   China (unknown)

Your description is about the same as the NOS Zoo York boards I still have from shop days, which had a single stamp on top, but not Clutch - that was a letter and number - and these ones just had a small number or something in them, super steep kicks, medium concave, fairly pointy ends too.

I do feel like some newer ones were different that I saw, but again there was nothing, not even a "Made in..." sticker on them and I couldn't get them down to stand on them either.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

There are some Zoo York boards on Skate Warehouse, more so just to check the pics than antyhing, but they show the single nail dot in the middle of the front bolts and a more normal rounded shape than the older ones I remember.

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Zoo_York_Skateboard_Decks/catpage-DKZOOYORK.html

This was the typical shape of the Zoo York boards I have, different graphics though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgVdIaSFOsF/

« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 05:18:41 AM by Woodshop »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

For me personally, Quasi had the opposite issue. The tail isn't steep enough. The tail feels really long (even though its fairly short) and flat (comfortable for riding). The tail *feels* long because if you think about it, it is technically longer in terms of going backwards (X/Z axis) because less of the length/angle is going upwards in the air (Y axis) and instead is going straight back.

The tail was causing me to ghost pop a lot when I first got it. Even now the ollie still feels very "delayed", so I had to learn to basically ollie earlier? I liked a lot about the deck-- especially for cruising (a lot of space for your back foot while pushing and turning), and having a really great shallow lever for controlling manuals-- but even now that I am 100% used to the deck, the pop is still a problem that makes me never want to buy one again. I really have to pop the back hard to get a decent ollie. Definitely was holding my ollie height back.

I'm now getting used to a Real Full SE and the tail feels so short and steep in comparison EVEN THOUGH the tail is actually longer than the Quasi! The ollie is jarring come from the Quasi because the Real actually snaps quickly right when I press on it. I am really missing the flat "long" tail for cruising and especially manuals... but I couldn't stand the ollie issues any longer.

I wish there was some sort of deck was is in between a FA and a Quasi. FAs sound too extreme for me, but Quasis are a tad extreme in the other direction. I'm hoping that either this Real Full SE or my Polar P2 (next deck after this one) ends up being the shape for me.

EDIT: Oh also, I'm using Ace trucks if that changes anything about how the tail pops. I've heard mellow tail and tall trucks can be an awkward combo I think and would explain that issue?

I have one set of Ace on a DLX board and it skates ok (as well as Thunder and Venture), but I usually ride Indy on them as my preference and I do feel like there is a good pairing between some trucks with some shapes or variations in concave.   This one is more on the mellow side and I did have to adjust a bit to get used to how far in the trucks sit, compared to Thunder or especially Venture.

Given DLX actually number the tops with I, II, III or IV, I being the top of the press and steepest through to IV being the bottom of the press and more mellow, or at least that is how it is supposed to be, if you have access you can choose which board based on the top stamped number to get a better pairing for what you like.  Sometimes that is easier said than done, but it has worked for me and I prefer IV through to I last.  The other thing I found though is I can always flatten out a board by parking on the kick for a minute or more, whereas I can't make a flat board steeper, so I don't mind getting whatever number now and making it work for me.

That process is not for everyone, but it definitely works with BBS boards and I have done a lot to mellow some out a fair bit and others just a little bit.

As to finding something in between FA / Hockey and Quasi, being two different woodshops, it is harder to compare, but they both press four or so boards at a time and there is always the variance from that, the top board being steepest, the bottom board being not so steep, so even from each board, or a half a dozen of exactly the same board, there could be differences you would notice and some that would be great, some the opposite for you to ride.

The best advice I would have from working in shops is to go in to as many bigger shops (or whatever places you can really) and stand on a lot of boards to feel out which works for you and which are more comfortable to stand on.  It is not the be all and end all but it will definitely give you a much better understanding of different concaves, or different shapes that brands or woodshops use.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain

There are some Zoo York boards on Skate Warehouse, more so just to check the pics than antyhing, but they show the single nail dot in the middle of the front bolts and a more normal rounded shape than the older ones I remember.

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Zoo_York_Skateboard_Decks/catpage-DKZOOYORK.html

This was the typical shape of the Zoo York boards I have, different graphics though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgVdIaSFOsF/

Exactly it has rounded nose and tail but nice deep concave

Like a crailtap but with deep concave

Thanks dude!! I just took a look at the Chapman site and supposedly zooyork in the US is still made by Chapman?

I hope so cause that means I know where to get my decks if zooyork changes for soem reason

I hope not, love the OG brand and it’s east coast roots as someone who grew up on the east

Shout out to Brandon westgate and his crazy pop, probably thanks to the Chapman decks haha
yes

vicious cycle

• Rep: 160

I just added Metal Skateboards to the list, on BBS through AWS / Habitat distro with some decent shapes and crazy graphics for this small but main drop, as per pics on their instagram and places like Tactics.

https://www.instagram.com/metalskateboards/

https://www.tactics.com/search/metal+deck

There is a thread going with more info and pics too:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=122035.0

Top of the Ben Raybourn football / egg shape looks cool too (I left it big to see all the top detail):

I'm in Europe. My distro got the first run of the Metal boards in. I ordered a few but now I wonder if they will be BBS or HLC. Because Habitat seems to deal with HLC when it comes to the Euro market.
I hope it's not HLC, my last Sour board was kinda meh.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal

I'm in Europe. My distro got the first run of the Metal boards in. I ordered a few but now I wonder if they will be BBS or HLC. Because Habitat seems to deal with HLC when it comes to the Euro market.

Habitat is not pressed / distributed by HLC anymore (and it's been a few years)
HLC pressed boards are great anyway
maybe you didn't pick the right shape

vicious cycle

• Rep: 160
Expand Quote

[close]

Possible. I had a sour and a national and they both felt off somehow. Kinda heavy/dull feeling.
Not to bad but compared to the real and magenta boards I have, nothing I wanna buy anymore.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
For me the most incomprehensible thing about HLC is that all their boards have a 14.2” wheelbase. No matter the width, length, concave, shape. All 14.2”. That’s too short for me and thus I’ll never buy an HLC made deck.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
For me the most incomprehensible thing about HLC is that all their boards have a 14.2” wheelbase. No matter the width, length, concave, shape. All 14.2”. That’s too short for me and thus I’ll never buy an HLC made deck.

yeah :/
https://hlcskateboardfactory.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/hlc-oem-skateboard-catalog.pdf

Pretty sure it's fine for most skateboarders but i don't get it either
I should have a phone call next week with somebody in charge of production, i'll ask him why.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

I think all that stuff is direct through Sovereign Sect Distribution now.

Of course I could be wrong, but they seem to be going more that route.

Sovereign Sect
Alien Workshop, Habitat, Metal Dealers.

https://sectdealer.com/