Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
481 (71%)
Yeah I guess a bit
160 (23.6%)
Indifferent either way
15 (2.2%)
Not really
11 (1.6%)
No never
10 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 673

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 157503 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Just bought a king skateboard (tyshawn’s brand) it’s BBS idk why ppl were saying PS. Black and white sticker and no PS engraving.

https://www.kingskateboards.com/collections/decks

Which board graphic is it that you have?  Seems like there are only a couple to choose from here.

I wonder if Tyshawn had PS Stix boards and then Nakel has BBS or they have a mix of both to keep both dudes happy?

The "chatty" thread about King Skateboards:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=124175.0

The shoes and gear thread (second page someone said PS Stix):

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=124515.0

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Anyone know where current Stereo decks are made? The first page mentions both Clutch and Prime. Also does anyone have Nose, tail, and wheelbase dimensions for a recent board from them (8.5'' or larger)? I tried contacting them but didn't get a response.

Is it just me or is it harder to get a normal Stereo deck nowdays, compared to something that has been signed by one or more of the main guys or someone else?

I watched Jason Lee and Chris Pastras skate everything growing up, but I didn't expect to see a "milking show" when I went to look up their boards.

https://www.stereosoundagency.com/collections/decks

Some shops have a few boards, but it doesn't seem like there are many 8.5 and up size boards though.

So Cal is a good one to keep an eye on as they have all dimensions listed.

https://socalskateshop.com/Stereo-Skateboards.html

This listing has a good pic of the top and basic measurements:

https://www.concretedisciples.com/shop/skateboard-decks/stereo-sound-agency-skateboards/stereo-sound-agency-chris-pastras-stax-deck-8-5/

Length: 31.875
Width: 8.5
Wheelbase: 14.375 inch

That doesn't leave that much for nose and tail lengths, but another listing has the board at 8.5 x 32 with 14.5 wb which is fairly common across a number of that size board.

blahblah999

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20

Is it just me or is it harder to get a normal Stereo deck nowdays, compared to something that has been signed by one or more of the main guys or someone else?

Yeah, they do a lot of signed and limited edition stuff now, same as H-Street. I guess they are catering to the collector market where people hang boards on the wall. Nothing wrong with that but at least offer some basic decks for people that might want to ride one. I also don't know why every company can't put up basic specs these days, or even give us a side shot of the concave.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, they do a lot of signed and limited edition stuff now, same as H-Street. I guess they are catering to the collector market where people hang boards on the wall. Nothing wrong with that but at least offer some basic decks for people that might want to ride one. I also don't know why every company can't put up basic specs these days, or even give us a side shot of the concave.

Another listing had one as 8.5 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb, but I don't know how old that listing was and the board is out of stock too, so it was just the dimensions in the google search listing that showed.  When I went to click on it, it came up with the page you are trying to look at cannot be found.

That is the exact dimensions of the Clutch K (8.5) shape that I have here, but also the same as the BBS standard 8.5 board too, so who knows.

Didn't think it could be that hard.

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
Expand Quote
Has anyone from Europe tried the DGK decks? I was looking for a deck with certain dimensions and found one dgk pro deck on sale, but it seems it is from the china made decks and not bbs, so if anyone have some experience with their china made decks i would appreciate an insight on the wood.
[close]

People who have had DGK boards from China have said different things on here, some like them, some do not.

I haven't seen any personally so can't really comment, but the initial response with them was they were about average weight, decent shapes, felt nice and snappy in the ollie department and were compared to a number of other woodshops or similar boards from Element and Birdhouse, who might very well use the same supplier for their own boards.

Did you have a specific shop in mind or where did you see it?

More so just to get a look at their board pics or the specific board, graphic name, or whatever, so I can search for it and find other info, maybe good board pics and more.
Thanx :) I found some reviews on the china decks and as you said  some people like them, others don't, so i decided to try it myself coz it was a good deal and the dimensions are in my goldilock zone.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
Looks like Santa Cruz is using birch on some decks now which I would assume some Creature boards will have that soon too. Three dyed plys on this one too.

remove repeated lines

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
Looks like Santa Cruz is using birch on some decks now which I would assume some Creature boards will have that soon too. Three dyed plys on this one too.

remove repeated lines

They’ve been doing this with the logo boards for a while

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
Expand Quote

remove repeated lines
[close]

They’ve been doing this with the logo boards for a while

I was working at the shop today and it was the first time I’ve seen it, of course I’m not usually looking at Santa Cruz boards that often. Just happened to notice while I was rearranging the wall. I get it for prebuilt completes but for individual decks it’s kinda sneaky.

sk8craft

• Rep: 1
Been a quiet reader here for a bit and am blown away by all this info – thanks for taking the time to compile all of this!
I’ve been working with small scale board builders for several years and thought readers of this thread might be interested in knowing about some of the smaller builders and craftspeople out there. There's a global "Maker Map" at https://sk8cad.com that builders can register and add themselves to (click the "Maker Map" button in the top menu to view the map). Not all of them sell what they make or have links to their work, but it’s been fascinating to see all the board builders popping up around the world. Many of these folks can also produce stuff the factories don’t/won't. (Also, just for transparency here, I do manage that site... if you have any feedback about the map and how it could be more helpful, please let me know.)

Again, thanks for the great work with this thread!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
Been a quiet reader here for a bit and am blown away by all this info – thanks for taking the time to compile all of this!
I’ve been working with small scale board builders for several years and thought readers of this thread might be interested in knowing about some of the smaller builders and craftspeople out there. There's a global "Maker Map" at https://sk8cad.com that builders can register and add themselves to (click the "Maker Map" button in the top menu to view the map). Not all of them sell what they make or have links to their work, but it’s been fascinating to see all the board builders popping up around the world. Many of these folks can also produce stuff the factories don’t/won't. (Also, just for transparency here, I do manage that site... if you have any feedback about the map and how it could be more helpful, please let me know.)

Again, thanks for the great work with this thread!

That's awesome!

I will check it out when I have a minute.

Any and every contribution to help is appreciated, big or small woodshops, people who work there, own them, make web sites about them, or even just anyone who has questions, comments or info about any board or woodshop out there.

It all goes to help with things, that's for sure.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

I just came across this account, which I had not seen before.

Anyone else heard of or used any of their products?

mNc decks
Mad Circle
All City

https://www.instagram.com/mastermind_dist/

Master-Mind distribution 🏭 #oem #mfg
skateboards • apparel • screen-printing
mNc☆ • all-city • madcircle • lion wheels
dm us | email | whatsapp ( text, call )
www.mastermind-dist.com

I haven't looked into it much yet, but some bold comments in some of their posts (calling out / putting down the major woodshops), given they are just another company that brings in boards from China, but whatever hey...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmT6_YQDq0_/

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClvMnIqjt3v/

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
I'm violently offended they used Gangstarr's Work in that Insta post
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
I'm violently offended they used Gangstarr's Work in that Insta post

Ha yeah, some "funny" terms come to mind, but nothing I would add here.

Just seems like they are trying a bit too hard, but I know nothing about them, so should smile and nod.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Mad Circle!? Menace? Under the same distro?
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
FWIW some Disorder [team only?] decks are being made in China:

share images

blahblah999

• Rep: 20
That Mastermind site is a 404 dead link. Not sure I'd trust anything from there. Looks like repository for dead brands.

Coldcut

• Rep: 34

share images

Reminds me of Apple Ipods in the 00's.
Designed in California, made in China.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
Expand Quote

share images
[close]

Reminds me of Apple Ipods in the 00's.
Designed in California, made in China.

dwindle boards say this too...

I guess some people find comfort in the fact that their boards are at least designed in California

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
Not sure if this is best place to post this (was thinking about starting a specific thread on "Help Me Find Specific Gear").

I normally ride the 8.25/14.38 DLX deck. I'm looking to try an 8.5/14.5 deck without a super round nose/tail, and without steep kicks, preferably BBS wood. Black Label has a great shape in those dimensions, but have always found their kicks to be way too steep for me. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!   
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Not sure if this is best place to post this (was thinking about starting a specific thread on "Help Me Find Specific Gear").

I normally ride the 8.25/14.38 DLX deck. I'm looking to try an 8.5/14.5 deck without a super round nose/tail, and without steep kicks, preferably BBS wood. Black Label has a great shape in those dimensions, but have always found their kicks to be way too steep for me. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!   

The BBS 8.5 x 32.2 - 32.5 with 14.5 wheelbase is my main go to (besides DLX 8.38 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb) and there are lots around, but I definitely find that a lot of them are on the steeper side in both concave and kicks.

I tend to get many of them on sale and "blank" the graphic for starters, but more often than not, I also have to mellow out the kicks by parking on them, about an hour each, for the steeper ones, which turn out great, as per a Black Label deck I set up recently, which was one of the steepest boards I had seen in that shape, but I took it down past a "Baker mellow" and it works nicely.

The list of board brands that use the same BBS shape is pretty long but here are the ones I have bought in the past so I know these are those dimensions, even though some might be listed as only 32 long or something else, including Black Label, Baker, Birdhouse, Deathwish, Element, Passport, Cash Only, Isle, Loser Machine, The Killing Floor, Uma Landsleds and Polar (if the 14.5 wb is to be agreed, rather than 14.38 that has been on some boards).

Other shorter wheelbase boards with decent shapes in 8.5 widths include 917 (14.25), Carpet Co (14.38), Heroin (14.38), Darkroom, Magenta (14.38), Frog, Limosine.

All of those I have either had or at least seen, but you might also want to check any shop boards done by BBS / Generator as they also have that same shape, of which I have bought quite a few here in AU and I know there are a lot of shops in USA that use BBS as their main boards.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
...I also have to mellow out the kicks by parking on them, about an hour each, for the steeper ones...

@Mbrimson88 this actually works!?! I've heard about this for, well, forever, but never knew anyone that actually did it. I always assumed it was some kind of urban legend type deal, and didn't want to try it myself. What is the exact method you use?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 05:27:21 AM by Sedition »

Bill Salt

Expand Quote
...I also have to mellow out the kicks by parking on them, about an hour each, for the steeper ones...
[close]

This actually works!?! I've heard about this for, well, forever, but never knew anyone that actually did it. I always assumed it was some kind of urban legend type deal, and didn't want to try it myself. What is the exact method you use?
I ask my wife to sit on it for 20mn.This works.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
Skated an old evisen board last night, one of the many boards I’ve skated for a short period of time, and then just stuffed into a closet. Now I want another.
Dsm?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
Expand Quote
Skated an old evisen board last night, one of the many boards I’ve skated for a short period of time, and then just stuffed into a closet. Now I want another.
Dsm?
[close]

Sure are.

I'm skating a few Enjoi Bag of Suck boards due to the downfall of the brand after swearing off DSM more than 10 years ago (those small tails still haunt me). The 8.25 x 32.1 'mellow concave + steep kick' is feeling good, something different I guess.

Thanks.
I guess I’ll just keep hitting this thread to get the update on what the dsm board shop is making going forward. My understanding was that they were going to continue to manufacture boards, but I could be very wrong.
I’m all in on short tails (and noses rn). And short overall length. Currently the wb is more fungible, which is a weird stance to take, but yeah that’s what has been ‘working’, short nose and tail, short board. Dunno why.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

@Mbrimson88 this actually works!?! I've heard about this for, well, forever, but never knew anyone that actually did it. I always assumed it was some kind of urban legend type deal, and didn't want to try it myself. What is the exact method you use?

I have a Corolla, so small car, fairly light on the boards, but the best thing to do with whatever vehicle you have is try it out on some old boards first, just to see if the weight is ok, not too much.  For my car, I use the front wheels (engine heavier) than the back, but others start with back wheels to get it going or in a bigger car or truck, go with whatever is lightest.

Also warm tyres work way better than cold, but also warmer weather helps more than cold weather.  Even just start with driving slowly over the board to see how it goes, then when I know it is ok, I park on the bolts area for a bit to just mellow it out a bit, or stay on it for an hour or so if it is really steep.

I have never had any issues with BBS boards, but I know others have cracked or broken Dwindle boards, as they were just too stiff and didn't want to give.  That was only one or two, compared to the many Dwindle boards that that guy has flattened, along with a few other woodshops, so it definitely works but there can also be some issues.

I started putting the boards on carpet squares, but now sheath the deck in cardboard too, just to protect the top of the kicks a little bit, as well as doing it on the smooth garage floor, but others have just driven over them on the road or carpark and left chunks in the tops from the road surface, which I don't think is very nice.

Lastly after doing whatever you do, let them sit for a day or so before worrying that you have flattened them too much.  They usually spring back a lot, but yes I have flattened some a little too much, compared to the ideal position which I liken to taking a DLX board with a I stamp down to a IV stamp.  I just did a few of the I and II boards I got on sales where I didn't care what number they were cause the boards were so cheap it didn't matter and they still feel super stiff and not at all flexed out after doing this, but they are a little more mellow than they started, so I am really happy with them.

Here are a couple of posts I did on it, showing the board bouce back after driving over it and where I park on them.  The sound is really distorted when I drove over it, so no there is nothing wrong with the board or the car.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTMrHLYlWVb/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFqdpGRBTua/

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I have a Corolla, so small car, fairly light on the boards, but the best thing to do with whatever vehicle you have is try it out on some old boards first, just to see if the weight is ok, not too much.  For my car, I use the front wheels (engine heavier) than the back, but others start with back wheels to get it going or in a bigger car or truck, go with whatever is lightest.

Also warm tyres work way better than cold, but also warmer weather helps more than cold weather.  Even just start with driving slowly over the board to see how it goes, then when I know it is ok, I park on the bolts area for a bit to just mellow it out a bit, or stay on it for an hour or so if it is really steep.

I have never had any issues with BBS boards, but I know others have cracked or broken Dwindle boards, as they were just too stiff and didn't want to give.  That was only one or two, compared to the many Dwindle boards that that guy has flattened, along with a few other woodshops, so it definitely works but there can also be some issues.

I started putting the boards on carpet squares, but now sheath the deck in cardboard too, just to protect the top of the kicks a little bit, as well as doing it on the smooth garage floor, but others have just driven over them on the road or carpark and left chunks in the tops from the road surface, which I don't think is very nice.

Lastly after doing whatever you do, let them sit for a day or so before worrying that you have flattened them too much.  They usually spring back a lot, but yes I have flattened some a little too much, compared to the ideal position which I liken to taking a DLX board with a I stamp down to a IV stamp.  I just did a few of the I and II boards I got on sales where I didn't care what number they were cause the boards were so cheap it didn't matter and they still feel super stiff and not at all flexed out after doing this, but they are a little more mellow than they started, so I am really happy with them.

Here are a couple of posts I did on it, showing the board bouce back after driving over it and where I park on them.  The sound is really distorted when I drove over it, so no there is nothing wrong with the board or the car.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTMrHLYlWVb/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFqdpGRBTua/

This is the most useful/best thing I’ve ever seen on SLAP. Thank you, and will report back with results on a Black Label. In related news, checked-out an 8.5 Baker yesterday and it seemed to fit what I was looking for.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

Copied to this thread as it is relevant:

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Baker is BBS

Does all the Baker decks got the holografic sticker of BBS between the truck holes?
[close]

Somebody help please?
[close]

Considering it's the new thing on BBS made boards, they should have that yes
[close]

Do you mean only the decks made from X year got that sticker?
Bbs didnt use to put such stickers?

the holographic sticker is fairly recent (for approx a year and a half)

Edit: my bad and sorry for the misleading info, i just checked on a couple boards from BBS i have in stock at the shop (less than 3 months old), Antihero, Krooked, Passport and they don't have the holographic sticker

maybe the new thing is not having that holographic sticker

More info in the Woodshop thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.0

Article here:

https://bbsmfg.com/2021/05/15/bbs-made-authentic-sticker/

MAY 15, 2021
BBS Made Authentic Sticker

From what I have seen, NOT all brands that use BBS have these stickers, but I think from what I have seen more recently (not latest drops, as nothing is that current here in AU) there are a lot of them around on some brands, including Baker, Deathwish, Element, 917, Welcome and others I have bought in the last few months.

I have never seen them on DLX, Passport, Magenta, Black Label, among others, just for reference.

If there was any doubt as to whether or not a board is BBS, it should have the "Made in Mexico" warning sticker and very spoon shaped kicks, compared to counterfeit Baker boards which have the "Dwindle concave" and no warning sticker, often with slightly fuzzy graphics, like they were photocopied, at least on the one I saw.

Edit:

To note though, some old stock doesn't have those stickers, or even some not so old stock that for whatever reason just didn't get them, as per a Baker series I saw the other day in a shop.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

In reply to this:

remove repeated lines

Another copy from a thread I hadn't seen:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=104378.0

HARD ROCK MAPLE BOARDS, WHAT’S THE DEAL?  From 2019

Expand Quote
I think it's "hard rock maple" because they can't say "Canadian hard rock maple" and they want to make their price points sound better. Another marketing term from NHS.
[close]
You’re right I didn’t think of that. Here’s a screenshot of how they describe them

yeap, double checked.

Dwindle also differentiates Canadian maple and other maple construction and allegedly NHS has moved some its production to DSM. I bought one of those blind cheapo logo decks 2 years ago from SW on sale for under 20$ and had the exact same delam situation.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info

Another single operator board maker:

https://www.instagram.com/mixedlandbirds/

MIXED LAND BIRDS
mixed skateboards
Handmade cut/shaped/painted - Northern CA
youtu.be/yG-lqyVDGyI

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cp8dh-LPnyq/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjYE_dtrDIT/

djoekr

• Rep: 290
How would I know if a Quasi deck is pressed by BBS or PS when shopping online?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 01:11:26 AM by djoekr »
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it