Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
481 (71%)
Yeah I guess a bit
160 (23.6%)
Indifferent either way
15 (2.2%)
Not really
11 (1.6%)
No never
10 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 673

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 157361 times)

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
its funny because I specifically buy these boards BECAUSE they have hella concave in the nose and tail
primitive should get Control to do a run of boards for him  ;D
ONTARIO CANADA

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
Yeah I agree. Skated a mini logo for 7 minutes and hated every moment of it recently
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
its funny because I specifically buy these boards BECAUSE they have hella concave in the nose and tail
primitive should get Control to do a run of boards for him  ;D

Yeah I agree. Skated a mini logo for 7 minutes and hated every moment of it recently

Ha yeah, any time I have been able to stand on one of those Mini Logo boards (or some Control boards too), I put it straight back on the rack.  Way too mellow for me.

The usual DLX IV stamp is just right, with the I or II being just a touch too steep in the angle of the kicks, mainly the tail, but it is usually the smallest amount that it mellows out that makes all the difference.

Some other BBS boards are perfect, but other woodshops that make more mellow boards just don't work at all, so this is an easy enough fix for anyone who does want to mellow out the kicks while still having the same cross concave and shape and board feel.

Doing something like this is definitely not for everyone, that's for sure, but at least it is a way to help me feel more comfortable on a board I might not ride so easily, without having to have a whole different product line, as per some brands, woodshops, etc.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Fast_Freddie

• Rep: 58
    • SOMD Skateboard Association avatar image
FYI, South Central is now offering both twin nose & twin tail decks ranging in size from 8.0" - 8.75"  I am sorry, I don't have the dimensions of each...

YMCMB

• Rep: 50
FYI, South Central is now offering both twin nose & twin tail decks ranging in size from 8.0" - 8.75"  I am sorry, I don't have the dimensions of each...
Where did you happen to see this?

Fast_Freddie

• Rep: 58
    • SOMD Skateboard Association avatar image
Expand Quote
[close]
Where did you happen to see this?
In an email to South Central asking about them...

nosneb

• Rep: 78

[/ quote]

Ha yeah, any time I have been able to stand on one of those Mini Logo boards (or some Control boards too), I put it straight back on the rack.  Way too mellow for me.

Funny when people talk about liking mellow boards but don’t actually skate mellow boards

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
X-post from the Twin Tail thread:

Picked up some Habitat 8.38 twins and looks like they went back to BBS

https://habitatskateboards.com/products/mark-suciu-marble-maze-8-375-twin
BBS, black and white "Made in Mexico" sticker

https://habitatskateboards.com/products/mosaic-20-white-8-375-twin
DSM, white sticker with "Made in China"

Seems like they were using China for 1 season late last year, back to BBS now
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Doosh215

• Rep: 61

Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah I got an Alien team board from the most recent drop thinking it might be China, but it's BBS

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Expand Quote
[/ quote]

[close]

Funny when people talk about liking mellow boards but don’t actually skate mellow boards

Guilty I know.  :)

People today were saying my Krooked was the flattest board they had skated - it is definitely a much more mellow concave than most, plus I parked on the kicks to really flatten them out, but the board might still feel like it has more than the two of those old ones, the 1996 Real 8.25 and 1998 World Industries 7.6 boards I have, if I recall correctly.  That is the era of flat boards isn't it, or at least boards to compare to them as others you have posted before?

For reference, my 8.38 Krooked board has about 5mm rise from middle to rails and angle of kicks 17 degrees nose and 16 degrees tail, which they were saying went almost horizontal when flexed, but I don't think it was quite that flexed out and still had enough not to feel soggy or mushed out.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah I got an Alien team board from the most recent drop thinking it might be China, but it's BBS

Were they Asia / Europe or USA that you guys saw or bought the Habitat boards?

I thought Alien Workshop hadn't changed, but Habitat in EU / Asia was getting Dwindle or other boards for a bit, depending on their distribution.

Could be wrong, but it seemed Alien Workshop here in AU were all on BBS apart from the advertised pricepoint boards, which were labelled as China, but Habitat were more mixed / not as clear with the boards that came in as they were through a different distro.

Any which way, I need to update the listings for them as I think I missed putting those in and had BBS 2022.

nosneb

In the states the pro models are usually Mexico and the feast with the orange cardboard on the right side and silver sticker on the left is some China wood stuff

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
In the states the pro models are usually Mexico and the feast with the orange cardboard on the right side and silver sticker on the left is some China wood stuff

Thanks.

Not sure if the others didn't see the question or anyone else in other parts of the world had any other info, re Alien Workshop and Habitat wood.

I wonder how many brands might be back on the BBS program now that went with other options, or some that are now going with Generator, PS Stix or any other woodshops if they are operating with lower minimums and greater access.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks.

Not sure if the others didn't see the question or anyone else in other parts of the world had any other info, re Alien Workshop and Habitat wood.

I wonder how many brands might be back on the BBS program now that went with other options, or some that are now going with Generator, PS Stix or any other woodshops if they are operating with lower minimums and greater access.

Over the past years I've ridden / bought:
3 x Mark Suciu 8.38 Twin -

2 of these, 1 was BBS, 1 was from China

1 of these, just a month ago, this was BBS

I saw this in the shop, it had a made in China sticker

And the other 8.38 twin tails (Habitat Apex Bold / Habitat Mosaic 20th Anniversary) had a made in China sticker.

But based on their latest drop it looks like they are back to BBS.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872

Expand Quote
[/ quote]

[close]

Or know what one even is. I had a shop owner in Texas straight up try to argue with me that most PS boards weren't flatter than BBS when I asked him to check a dlx stamp for me. I was like dude you don't even want to start this shit with me I'm asking you to look at something, not for your shitty "advice"...I would have whipped the protractor and Digi angle finder out on his ass if he kept it up.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[/ quote]

[close]

[close]

Or know what one even is. I had a shop owner in Texas straight up try to argue with me that most PS boards weren't flatter than BBS when I asked him to check a dlx stamp for me. I was like dude you don't even want to start this shit with me I'm asking you to look at something, not for your shitty "advice"...I would have whipped the protractor and Digi angle finder out on his ass if he kept it up.

I get that there would be varying degrees of what people call mellow, or even flat boards, but do you guys have some dimensions or list of info that would help anyone determine what you would consider mellow / flat boards?

Just trying to get some sort of gauge as to what you are talking about here, certainly not trying to start a fight or cause drama, but every time I ask for measurements, none are forthcoming.

As I posted earlier on what I would call a mellow Krooked board I have, an 8.38 the middle of the board concave rise was about 5 mm (usually more like 7 - 8 mm) and the angle of kicks was 17 on the nose and 16 on the tail, usually more like 22 nose, 21 tail for the average DLX boards, even the IV stamp, with a I stamp in 8.38 being 9 mm rise and 24 degrees nose and 23 degrees tail.  From that alone this board is way more mellow than other boards in the same category, but I personally would not be calling it "flat" just "mellow concave" when compared to most.

The 1996 Real 8.25 has about 4 - 5 mm concave and about 15 degrees kicks, with the 1998 World Industries deck that measures about 7.6 having 3 - 4 mm concave and similarly 15 degrees in the kicks.  Those two even just look flat and standing on them is another story compared to any modern board I have from any woodshop, but they still have more concave than some others that people might be posting, eg a 7.5 Girl board I had seen once was like nothing I recall, almost zero concave across and only the slightest inclination in the kicks too, but it was so beat to death and worn down I would imagine there was a bit more to it when new.

I also understand that the smaller a board is, the more mellow / flat it is going to seem, so something of 7.5 is always going to seem flatter than something of 8.25 or bigger, even with the mellow mold or flat presses that some companies use.

Anyway, here's hoping anyone could come back with some dimensions, info, even pics, etc as per the "Super mellow decks like this" thread.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=113648.0

Scottboarding

• Rep: 76
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[/ quote]

[close]

[close]

Shop employees should know better than to argue with Shoes & Gear users.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

In terms of woodshops / brands, I don't have access to DOA boards, but from what everyone says they have the flattest.

I have some PGI wood which definitely felt very flat overall in the 8 and 8.125, even in the wider 8.5 size boards, but I would still only consider that mellow.

Most others including BBS, PS Stix, Clutch, Control, are anywhere from middle ground, sometimes more mellow, sometimes steeper, but others like Pennswood, Dwindle, even some other China made boards were steeper than average overall.

Most others I have identified from the woodshop list feel on the steeper side to me too, that is kicks more than 20 degrees and deeper concave, the one exception being most Powell boards now, but they just feel weird to me, sort of like everything is a bit off any time I stand on one.

Some HLC boards I have feel very flat through the concave, but have more medium angle kicks, on the Plan B and Sk8 Mafia boards that came through my hands, in 8 and 8.25 sizes.

Others like Watson and Prime decks are only the old school shaped boards and although they are very mellow, I don't count them in the same way a normal popsicle board would be, given they are reissues or boards that are meant to be like the 80s or early 90s boards.

If those decks were reshaped into popsicles of 8 to 8.25 they would definitely be flat, as per the 1996 and 1998 boards I have, which seem like they were made from those similar molds, so that would be the closest to what people generally call flat boards now.

Scottboarding

• Rep: 76
SoCal just released a bunch of new blanks made by Generator/BBS. They’re advertising them as such and I know Canada SkateShop got cut off because of that but maybe it’ll play out differently for SoCal.

https://socalskateshop.com/Socal-Skateshop-Skateboard-Decks-All.html

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
SoCal just released a bunch of new blanks made by Generator/BBS. They’re advertising them as such and I know Canada SkateShop got cut off because of that but maybe it’ll play out differently for SoCal.

https://socalskateshop.com/Socal-Skateshop-Skateboard-Decks-All.html

They are not selling BBS blanks. They are selling Socal blanks. It just so happens that Socal blanks are made at BBS, but these other social blanks are just made in mexico. The customer isn't buying a BBS board, they're buying a socal board, the same as they would buy an anti-hero, or any shop deck. While this may be a stupid technicality, it could be the stupid technicality they need to keep them clear.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 08:53:01 AM by TwisT »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
i’ve never seen a flat bbs board. imo, bbs boards are not flat, ever. they might be more mellow, than other bbs boards, but not flat. looking at them from the rail/primo angle, bbs boards have a very pronounced bend/concave (i want to say rocker, but i dunno what that means).
i don’t have any stats on what a mellow board is, i think they’ve mainly disappeared, as @Mbrimson88 has mentioned, the 90s boards were flat, and broke/dogged out, fairy quickly. but to me, they felt excellent.
i haven’t had a pgi for ages, but if i could that’d be a go.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
i’ve never seen a flat bbs board. imo, bbs boards are not flat, ever. they might be more mellow, than other bbs boards, but not flat. looking at them from the rail/primo angle, bbs boards have a very pronounced bend/concave (i want to say rocker, but i dunno what that means).
i don’t have any stats on what a mellow board is, i think they’ve mainly disappeared, as @Mbrimson88 has mentioned, the 90s boards were flat, and broke/dogged out, fairy quickly. but to me, they felt excellent.
i haven’t had a pgi for ages, but if i could that’d be a go.

Yeah most of the BBS boards coming out now seem even more in the "high concave" range than others I had seen and skated previously, so I am glad I can still get my hands on the DLX boards with IV stamp as they are significantly more mellow (not flat) than the greater BBS range.

Even when Baker has the "Mellow mold" and other brands that share / use those boards too, like Birdhouse for example, some are steeper and some not, so I would say again they are about middle of the range in that regard.

I would not usually go as far as to use measurements and tech out on boards, but with some of the interest and info coming from others online - Professor Schmitt and Ben DeGros, who measure everything, it has been interesting to check the angles on some of the kicks of boards I prefer and others I find too steep for my liking, as well as the cross board concave, which can vary greatly.

The few boards I have come across that I would call "extra mellow" from BBS / DLX in the 8.38 range definitely are a lot less in both rail and angle of kicks than average too, so I should take some pics and see if I can get things to look in photos the way they feel in person.  To note though, these boards do seem few and far between.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

For "flat boards" which I would never say about any of my current boards, I put up some pics in the Super mellow boards thread, here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=113648.msg4026987#msg4026987

Then thought I would just add the post here as well.

I went back through and pulled the pics I had taken of the two 90s boards.  Should have taken more comparison pics too, but I still have them so it is easy enough to do that if I need to.

Might have posted these before, but here are the lot of pics anyway, for anyone interested.

*  Found the other post I had made too:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120185.msg3991456#msg3991456

Board 1

Real Skate R team (1996)

8.25 x 32 with a 14.25 wheelbase

Indy Stage 7s
Spitfire 60mm wheels
Lucky bolts, risers and bearings

Board 2

World Industries Kopycat Lorenzo (1998)

7.625 x 31.1 with 14.0 wheelbase

Indy Stage 8s
World 56mm wheels

Graphic view
Top view
End view
Kick, with deck bolt in showing lots of flat before kick on the World board
Side of Real board
Last frame, comparison with the steepest DLX board I have in the stack, to really emphasize the difference in the 1996 deck compared to the modern concave.

Graphic view

1996 Real 8.25 board (team hydrant graphic)
1998 World Industries 7.6 board (Enrique Lorenzo)

Top view

End view

Side of Real board

Last frame, comparison with the steepest DLX board I have in the stack, to really emphasize the difference in the 1996 deck compared to the modern concave.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 254

For "flat boards" which I would never say about any of my current boards, I put up some pics in the Super mellow boards thread, here:

I went back through and pulled the pics I had taken of the two 90s boards.  Should have taken more comparison pics too, but I still have them so it is easy enough to do that if I need to.

Might have posted these before, but here are the lot of pics anyway, for anyone interested.

Board 1

Real Skate R team (1996)

Indy Stage 7s
Spitfire 60mm wheels

Board 2

Indy Stage 8s
World 56mm wheels

Graphic view
Top view
End view
Side of Real board

Graphic view

Top view

End view

Side of Real board

Thank you for doing all this! It's super interesting to see the differences in decks from the mid-90s when I started skating and now. I was mostly on 8" Toy Machine team boards from 94-00ish and I can't honestly remember what they felt like so I'm stoked when boards from that era pop up with lots of good angled pictures.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
The addition of the concave I think had a lot to do with strengthening the board no?  More than preference or performance……

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
The addition of the concave I think had a lot to do with strengthening the board no?  More than preference or performance……

Yes I think that had a lot to do with it as I was breaking so many boards through the early to mid 90s, but I really can't tell for sure on that one.

The other thing that people had said before is the skate industry took a while to catch up from boards that were on average 9 to 10" wide one year then suddenly being shaped right down to 7 to 8" within the next year or so, all on the same molds as they took a while to change and catch up, so from that, the board molds were still based on a wider board and cutting them right down made for some very mellow / flat boards.

I guess that is still the case for a lot of the 7. X size boards which are way flatter if using the same molds as some of the wider boards, but I definitely know some molds are flatter than others, even for some of the boards I like to ride.

Thank you for doing all this! It's super interesting to see the differences in decks from the mid-90s when I started skating and now. I was mostly on 8" Toy Machine team boards from 94-00ish and I can't honestly remember what they felt like so I'm stoked when boards from that era pop up with lots of good angled pictures.

It is a funny thing and I recall standing on a few Antihero boards back then and thinking they were way too flat, whereas some of the other boards (not much more concave at the time) were more suited to what I wanted.  At the time, lots of people I knew were all talking about them as it was the big new thing, but although it was a rad team, I just couldn't deal with a board that flat - same as that Real board I am guessing.

Now it is almost the other way round, with me seeking out the "flatter" boards from what is now the usual concave which equates to very steep for me, but is more just normal now and by no means are any of them "flat" but anything with slightly more mellow concave is good.

As others are saying in the "Super mellow decks" thread, there are still some out there.

Worth a read anyway:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=113648.60;topicseen

YMCMB

• Rep: 50
Anyone skate a SK8Mafia deck latley, to know what wood shop they use?
Some of the specs I see just list the size like "8x32" or "8.25x32", but I looked and ended up seeing specs that look more inline with some HLC or Sour decks.

nosneb

Board 1

Real Skate R team (1996)

Indy Stage 7s
Spitfire 60mm wheels

Board 2

Indy Stage 8s
World 56mm wheels

Graphic view
Top view
End view
Side of Real board

Graphic view

Top view

End view

Side of Real board

Finally mellow boards 😍

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
Expand Quote

Board 1

Real Skate R team (1996)

Indy Stage 7s
Spitfire 60mm wheels

Board 2

Indy Stage 8s
World 56mm wheels

Graphic view
Top view
End view
Side of Real board

Graphic view

Top view

End view

Side of Real board

[close]

Finally mellow boards 😍

exactly. bbs boards are not mellow. they are steep. and less super steep, but never mellow. ‘never’ means i haven’t personally seen it, so it doesn’t exist

the above pics are great, expect they make me want something i haven’t been able to find

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
I had a Cash Only board last summer that was really mellow. Felt more mellow than the Baker original concave with a similarly pointed nose and tail. Pretty sure it was BBS even though it wasn't their standard 8.25
fuck you bama