Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 177335 times)

cky enthusiast

Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #150 on: January 05, 2023, 06:07:34 AM »
1. Switch ollie in the beginning was baffling, can he not skate switch?
2. That shit was lame, the most impressive trick was him lipsliding a four stair, and that was only cool because his board is unnecessarily huge and heavy, so fundamentally just gimmicky
3. Would literally rather watch Ben K footage any day and I’m not a Ben K fan, that dudes gimmick is like 600x better than that shit

Now that I think about it, any shape without a nose is fucking stupid. Front noseslides are literally the best feeling ledge trick out there and you want me to pay to ride a setup without a nose? Why? I would focus my deck if I snapped the nose off, why does Santa Cruz get a pass

chill out fun police

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2023, 06:11:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don't even think being old is an excuse to get crazy with your set up. I cringe when i see older guys skating and they have like an andy-anderson deck with some huge crazy colored wheels, a flyaway helmet with 25 different powell stickers on it, a t-shirt that says 'HAVE YOU SEEN HIM' and a full set of salba-style zebra print pads, including wrist guards, and then they are just barely doing kickturns. You probably don't see that kind of thing very often outside of socal but it's pretty common here.

I know some really, really good 50+ skaters and they definitely keep it mellow with their setups and outfits compared to the 'i just retired and returned to skateboarding after 30 years in the LAPD' crowd.
[close]
Yeah the Powell fetish is lame. Same goes for 80s decks. If you want to ride an eighties deck knock yourself out but don’t try telling me it’s because it’s easier to ride. Because they are not. I’ve seen too many dickheads go on Reddit forums and recommend them to beginners, I’m like that’s fucked up to push your weird agenda on noobs.

And those curb setups are dumb. One time we were at a curb spot and this old head rolls up. He’s got like 9.5 with tiny wheels and extremely loose trucks. Poor guy could barely stay on top of the thing and I think I saw him roll away from one very inept slappy. Most of those slappy Sunday guys who actually shred curbs ride pretty normal setups with rails added.
[close]

Agree with both things. There's a few exceptions, but for the most part I think specialty set ups are pointless for the average skater. In most cases you're better off skating a board  most comfortable to you and just practicing more. If you're just skating that stuff cuz you like it, cool, but we don't have to pretend that those Dragon Wheels are really helping you ride through this million dollar skatepark.
[close]
I have dragon wheels and as much as I like them on asphalt they are slow and terrible at the park.

I don't genuinely judge people for their gear but at smooth parks specifically they sound like nails on a chalkboard to me

manysnakes

« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2023, 06:37:40 AM »
Expand Quote
2. That shit was lame, the most impressive trick was him lipsliding a four stair, and that was only cool because his board is unnecessarily huge and heavy, so fundamentally just gimmicky
3. Would literally rather watch Ben K footage any day and I’m not a Ben K fan, that dudes gimmick is like 600x better than that shit

Now that I think about it, any shape without a nose is fucking stupid. Front noseslides are literally the best feeling ledge trick out there and you want me to pay to ride a setup without a nose? Why? I would focus my deck if I snapped the nose off, why does Santa Cruz get a pass
[close]

chill out fun police

Fucking seriously. Some people here have the most boring, dry, rigid view of skateboarding. I cannot imagine hanging out with them is remotely fun.

As for Dragons in the park - I skated my prototype wheels in the park for like ~10 minutes before I gave up and swapped back to F4.

Billy Bitchcakes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #153 on: January 05, 2023, 07:23:23 AM »
Skate whatever setup you want but with the recent trend of people adding bloatware to their skating to mask that fact that they're not that good at it a shaped board often comes across to me as another tool to do just that, for a lot of people I see round here anyway
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

vinithebr

• Rep: -19
« Reply #154 on: January 05, 2023, 08:01:56 AM »
Sizzle is speedrunning positive to negative rep

Expand Quote
I'm rocking black wheels right now but I half regret it, it's pretty bold with red bearings and red trucks but I miss lighter colors.
[close]

Dude, ew.  Cmon.

*wipes tears* it c-can work, I just need a baker board now

WavyDavy

• Rep: 127
« Reply #155 on: January 05, 2023, 08:16:16 AM »
Skate whatever setup you want but with the recent trend of people adding bloatware to their skating to mask that fact that they're not that good at it a shaped board often comes across to me as another tool to do just that, for a lot of people I see round here anyway

So you're telling me I'm a poser with my grimple stix true full with shaggy carpet as grip tape?

69woodpusher69

• Rep: 3
« Reply #156 on: January 05, 2023, 08:26:17 AM »
So you're telling me I'm a poser with my grimple stix true full with shaggy carpet as grip tape?

pics? sounds sick

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
« Reply #157 on: January 05, 2023, 08:32:18 AM »

He does a good switch flip on flat @ 0:25 to start a line. The line is actually pretty fucking smooth. All of your ranting/bad takes aside, he does an awesome fs flip @ 0:42 that would be incredibly difficult for 90% of people on that board shape.  This guy deserves respect and praise.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 873
« Reply #158 on: January 05, 2023, 08:57:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

He does a good switch flip on flat @ 0:25 to start a line. The line is actually pretty fucking smooth. All of your ranting/bad takes aside, he does an awesome fs flip @ 0:42 that would be incredibly difficult for 90% of people on that board shape.  This guy deserves respect and praise.
I think the overall point tho is you don't get bonus points for whatever your setup is. You chose to ride that so it's just a frontside flip on flat just like anyone with a standard popsicle.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #159 on: January 05, 2023, 09:07:28 AM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm rocking black wheels right now but I half regret it, it's pretty bold with red bearings and red trucks but I miss lighter colors.
[close]

Dude, ew.  Cmon.
[close]

Come on man, let’s get you some nice natural f4’s and some plain Indy’s so you can rejoin civilization.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #160 on: January 05, 2023, 09:13:34 AM »
There’s those dudes - the old heads trying to flex and/or relive the 80s with their weird setups. But I also see a ton of young rippers inexplicably riding these things. That’s probably a flex too- look at me I can rip on this ridiculous board. At least the young guys don’t add all the dumb plastic accessories. 

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #161 on: January 05, 2023, 09:21:40 AM »

Riding a shaped board definitely does make skateboarding funner when you suck though. Some of us don't have whatever gene it is that makes you good at skating so we have to get our kicks just doing shit like frontside grinds or slappies over and over again and having a shaped board can keep things exciting when you have a very limited bag of tricks

And by shaped board i mean a modern shaped board that has a nose and concave and all that stuff. Riding a flat 80s board with no nose does not make skateboarding funner at all imo
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
« Reply #162 on: January 05, 2023, 09:25:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I think the overall point tho is you don't get bonus points for whatever your setup is. You chose to ride that so it's just a frontside flip on flat just like anyone with a standard popsicle.

I agree with your point about the bonus points. But that fs flip was good regardless of the shape. The 80's shape does add a layer of difficulty to certain tricks which is what my comment was attempting to point out. I just find his overall style and trick selection refreshing.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #163 on: January 05, 2023, 09:37:52 AM »
Well, Winkowski is a Polish-sounding last name, so he might not be aware that they make boards that are easier to skate now.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #164 on: January 05, 2023, 09:43:58 AM »
Well, Winkowski is a Polish-sounding last name, so he might not be aware that they make boards that are easier to skate now.
It's russian. His massive setup actually pops open to reveal a slight smaller setup. And then that setup can pop open for another smaller setup. And so on

lilyung

• Rep: -8
« Reply #165 on: January 05, 2023, 10:44:12 AM »
TJ doesn't bend his knees, also Luan could kickflip the tracks in less than 3 tries.

Kader is discount Antwuan

Lol tf... How?

Natas Fauxas

« Reply #166 on: January 05, 2023, 10:53:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don't even think being old is an excuse to get crazy with your set up. I cringe when i see older guys skating and they have like an andy-anderson deck with some huge crazy colored wheels, a flyaway helmet with 25 different powell stickers on it, a t-shirt that says 'HAVE YOU SEEN HIM' and a full set of salba-style zebra print pads, including wrist guards, and then they are just barely doing kickturns. You probably don't see that kind of thing very often outside of socal but it's pretty common here.

I know some really, really good 50+ skaters and they definitely keep it mellow with their setups and outfits compared to the 'i just retired and returned to skateboarding after 30 years in the LAPD' crowd.
[close]
Yeah the Powell fetish is lame. Same goes for 80s decks. If you want to ride an eighties deck knock yourself out but don’t try telling me it’s because it’s easier to ride. Because they are not. I’ve seen too many dickheads go on Reddit forums and recommend them to beginners, I’m like that’s fucked up to push your weird agenda on noobs.

And those curb setups are dumb. One time we were at a curb spot and this old head rolls up. He’s got like 9.5 with tiny wheels and extremely loose trucks. Poor guy could barely stay on top of the thing and I think I saw him roll away from one very inept slappy. Most of those slappy Sunday guys who actually shred curbs ride pretty normal setups with rails added.
[close]

Agree with both things. There's a few exceptions, but for the most part I think specialty set ups are pointless for the average skater. In most cases you're better off skating a board  most comfortable to you and just practicing more. If you're just skating that stuff cuz you like it, cool, but we don't have to pretend that those Dragon Wheels are really helping you ride through this million dollar skatepark.
[close]
I have dragon wheels and as much as I like them on asphalt they are slow and terrible at the park.
[close]

I don't genuinely judge people for their gear but at smooth parks specifically they sound like nails on a chalkboard to me

I tried my buddy's board with them at the park and they even feel like chalk dragging against the smooth ground. Like old ass Nash Or Valterra cheap wheels that would get grit stuck in them. Fuck im old.

lilyung

• Rep: -8
« Reply #167 on: January 05, 2023, 11:05:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Lipslides are just as boring and stupid as boardslides
[close]
Lipslides and boardslides are fun, but not really worth it to clip unless you're doing it on something gnarly.

Solid fact check

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #168 on: January 05, 2023, 11:14:53 AM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Dude, ew.  Cmon.
[close]

Solid.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

elegant_fox

« Reply #169 on: January 05, 2023, 06:01:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
There’s those dudes - the old heads trying to flex and/or relive the 80s with their weird setups. But I also see a ton of young rippers inexplicably riding these things. That’s probably a flex too- look at me I can rip on this ridiculous board. At least the young guys don’t add all the dumb plastic accessories.

My local scene is having a moment with shaped decks, the younger crowd is on Polar shaped decks and Heroin eggs and the old heads are on Creature/Black Labels. I also see a lot of formally strictly street folks dipping a toe into vert with the Andy Anderson deck.

Punished Skateboards

• Rep: 61
« Reply #170 on: January 05, 2023, 06:56:19 PM »
Skate shoes are ridiculous, unnecessary, and ridiculously unnecessary

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 177
« Reply #171 on: January 05, 2023, 07:33:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

My local scene is having a moment with shaped decks, the younger crowd is on Polar shaped decks and Heroin eggs and the old heads are on Creature/Black Labels. I also see a lot of formally strictly street folks dipping a toe into vert with the Andy Anderson deck.

Is the spot near a highway or old factory?  Could be some pollution or chemical leakage causing this

skatebruh

• Rep: 32
« Reply #172 on: January 05, 2023, 07:43:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This with 129s is the perfect magic carpet setup.

slutbang666

• Rep: 2
« Reply #173 on: January 05, 2023, 07:45:29 PM »

Yep. The setup isn’t part of the trick pal

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
« Reply #174 on: January 05, 2023, 08:06:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yep. The setup isn’t part of the trick pal

Ya it do

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -417
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #175 on: January 05, 2023, 09:25:46 PM »

I’m not judgmental of anybody’s cruiser setups on a personal level but I would assume you were a sex offender if you pulled up skating red trucks and black wheels

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #176 on: January 05, 2023, 09:28:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

chill out fun police
[close]

Fucking seriously. Some people here have the most boring, dry, rigid view of skateboarding. I cannot imagine hanging out with them is remotely fun.

As for Dragons in the park - I skated my prototype wheels in the park for like ~10 minutes before I gave up and swapped back to F4.
Did you guys miss the part where he specifically asked, do you want me to lie and say it’s rad or something. He seems like a cool guy but SoCal dickies fit hoodie beanie pube beard cruiser setup combo is more insufferable than low beanie nyc fakie manny kid to be honest

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #177 on: January 05, 2023, 09:28:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m not judgmental of anybody’s cruiser setups on a personal level but I would assume you were a sex offender if you pulled up skating red trucks and black wheels

I agree they're ugly, but ouch.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #178 on: January 05, 2023, 09:32:30 PM »
I don’t know if this is an unpopular opinion on here but pops fully flared part is arguably one of the worst parts of all time. Die hard pops fan but that shit was garbage

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #179 on: January 05, 2023, 10:15:09 PM »
I don’t know if this is an unpopular opinion on here but pops fully flared part is arguably one of the worst parts of all time. Die hard pops fan but that shit was garbage
I think yours more towards the popular opinion
My unpopular opinion it's one of the most perfect video parts of all time. An efficient display of what he was actually doing at the time.