Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 171574 times)

Tom Pearl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1140 on: March 18, 2023, 07:12:32 PM »
this is clearly the same graphics krooked uses and this came out in 95 so i have to ask, did gonz rip off the pharcyde or did he do these graphics for their video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqVsfGQ_1SU

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #1141 on: March 18, 2023, 07:34:44 PM »
this is clearly the same graphics krooked uses and this came out in 95 so i have to ask, did gonz rip off the pharcyde or did he do these graphics for their video?

Gonz did the art

Edit: Not sure if gonz did anything for this video, but his art was used. That's what I wanted to say
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 08:02:35 PM by goodatmeth »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #1142 on: March 18, 2023, 07:49:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Gonz did the art
Pretty sure it's directed by spike who did most of the beastie boys videos. Also features a beastie cameo and sample

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1143 on: March 18, 2023, 07:57:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I genuinely feel bad for anyone whose skate scene isn’t exciting enough to make you want to support your local shop.
[close]

What makes them exciting? Also do they include people who aren't in the local core scene in the exciting stuff?

Edit: sorry I read your post wrong. I thought you said 'i feel bad for anyone who's local skate shop isn't exciting enough to make you want to support your local shop'.

But the question still stands; how is your local scene exciting in a way that makes you want to support the shop?
[close]

Well for one, I actually like the skateboarders in my community. So that makes it a little exciting.

But I meant what I said in my post. I know shops exist that don’t foster a community and that’s a bummer. My local is awesome and they take great care of our scene. And not just the “cool” guys. They host events, they help fund/maintain our DIY park, and most of all they’re good people. If I have to give my money to someone, I’d rather it be someone I like. And maybe this is naive, but I’d like to think there are a lot of people in different regions who feel the same way.
[close]

That's sick.

Seems like there could be so much shit that a shop could do that would hardly cost any money yet still foster a community. I saw that break free skateshop in oakland recently was doing movie nights recently where they just play a vid and anyone can come and hang out. Shit like that seems sick to me but i guess the issue is that in a lot of places the core group that is tightest with the shop doesn't actually want 'anyone' to come and hang out, they want to keep it exclusive while still having all the benefits of a skate shop and a successful business
[close]

Yeah, the exclusivity mindset makes no sense and it’s sucks when that happens. Maybe it’s a regional thing because aside from the occasional socially awkward employee I really cannot think of a single shop experience where I felt flat out unwelcome. And I assure you, it’s not because I’m a cool guy and awesome skater lol.

I’ve seen variations of this debate pop up in the past, and a lot times it seems like people think they’re being “vibed” because they went to a shop and they weren’t immediately treated like a best friend. Not saying you’re doing that, but good interactions go both ways. And frankly, I find it a little hard to believe that everyone who’s splurging on crazy online sales are doing so because they feel shunned by their community.

They just activate Mean Girls mode when they see you nerds walking up in hopes that you’ll go away sooner.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #1144 on: March 18, 2023, 08:23:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I genuinely feel bad for anyone whose skate scene isn’t exciting enough to make you want to support your local shop.
[close]

What makes them exciting? Also do they include people who aren't in the local core scene in the exciting stuff?

Edit: sorry I read your post wrong. I thought you said 'i feel bad for anyone who's local skate shop isn't exciting enough to make you want to support your local shop'.

But the question still stands; how is your local scene exciting in a way that makes you want to support the shop?
[close]

Well for one, I actually like the skateboarders in my community. So that makes it a little exciting.

But I meant what I said in my post. I know shops exist that don’t foster a community and that’s a bummer. My local is awesome and they take great care of our scene. And not just the “cool” guys. They host events, they help fund/maintain our DIY park, and most of all they’re good people. If I have to give my money to someone, I’d rather it be someone I like. And maybe this is naive, but I’d like to think there are a lot of people in different regions who feel the same way.

Definitely +1 from me, I feel the exact same way

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #1145 on: March 18, 2023, 09:21:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

That's sick.

Seems like there could be so much shit that a shop could do that would hardly cost any money yet still foster a community. I saw that break free skateshop in oakland recently was doing movie nights recently where they just play a vid and anyone can come and hang out. Shit like that seems sick to me but i guess the issue is that in a lot of places the core group that is tightest with the shop doesn't actually want 'anyone' to come and hang out, they want to keep it exclusive while still having all the benefits of a skate shop and a successful business
[close]

Yeah, the exclusivity mindset makes no sense and it’s sucks when that happens. Maybe it’s a regional thing because aside from the occasional socially awkward employee I really cannot think of a single shop experience where I felt flat out unwelcome. And I assure you, it’s not because I’m a cool guy and awesome skater lol.

I’ve seen variations of this debate pop up in the past, and a lot times it seems like people think they’re being “vibed” because they went to a shop and they weren’t immediately treated like a best friend. Not saying you’re doing that, but good interactions go both ways. And frankly, I find it a little hard to believe that everyone who’s splurging on crazy online sales are doing so because they feel shunned by their community.
[close]

They just activate Mean Girls mode when they see you nerds walking up in hopes that you’ll go away sooner.

This is the most online response possible to hearing about a positive interaction in real life.

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #1146 on: March 19, 2023, 02:38:28 AM »

My local scene is just me skating the same empty parking lot and a bunch of people telling me that 'they used to skate'. I'll be moving to another city in a while though.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #1147 on: March 19, 2023, 10:01:19 AM »
I can't handle watching Felipe Nunes skate. Whenever he slams it just looks too painful.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #1148 on: March 19, 2023, 10:11:10 AM »
What do local shops have to do with the quality of your scene? Do people hang out there all the time? Do they throw contests? Do they make sure talented kids have gear? I’m not asking a rhetorical question I’m genuinely curious why people think supporting their local is important
There’s a new one here Sixes and Sevens that in six months or so has held two or three demos and hosted art shows by Lance, Jason Adam’s, etc. Arts and Rec downtown holds stuff and has a mini ramp out back (I think they sell pizzas too? I haven’t been in a while). Slappys Garage sponsors skaters and events. They promoted the two big BLM skate protests. That’s just what I can think of right now. Shops are pretty active parts of the community here.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #1149 on: March 19, 2023, 10:50:59 AM »
A new skate shop opened in my area about 6 months ago and the hype was big when they first opened but there unfortunately hasn't been much community involvement or anything like that so far. They had a skate jam at a local park when they first opened but that's it. The guys working there are cool and always down for a chat so no complaints about getting vibed or anything like that, but I think everyone's missing out by them not doing more than just being a skate shop.

I'm genuinely envious of all the people who have active skate shops that organise events or do other cool shit for the local community in here. Pretty obvious that those of us who aren't totally sold on the 'support your local skate shop' thing in here are from areas where skate shops are just another business.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

vinithebr

• Rep: -25
« Reply #1150 on: March 19, 2023, 04:35:21 PM »
I honestly like Chris Cole's style

OneMore

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1151 on: March 19, 2023, 08:19:56 PM »
I'm not sure if this is all too unpopular, but Kevin Rodrigues should've stayed on Polar.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 322
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1152 on: March 19, 2023, 08:32:14 PM »
I'm not sure if this is all too unpopular, but Kevin Rodrigues should've stayed on Polar.

He tried to. He was kicked off by Pontus. It's in some interview posted on here if you search for it. Pretty heavy stuff revolving around depression and action. He said moving over to the FA camp was a move out of happiness.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

turbo 2.0

• Rep: 52
« Reply #1153 on: March 19, 2023, 09:12:42 PM »
I want to see Dane Brady in street league

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #1154 on: March 19, 2023, 10:49:23 PM »
that alone would be more footage of him skating than we have gotten in the last like 4 years so im all for it

turbo 2.0

• Rep: 52
« Reply #1155 on: March 19, 2023, 10:59:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
that alone would be more footage of him skating than we have gotten in the last like 4 years so im all for it

the only thing keeping me alive at this point is hoping one day we’ll get another full length Dane Brady part

greenbeans

« Reply #1156 on: March 19, 2023, 11:48:16 PM »
What do local shops have to do with the quality of your scene? Do people hang out there all the time? Do they throw contests? Do they make sure talented kids have gear? I’m not asking a rhetorical question I’m genuinely curious why people think supporting their local is important

Have you seriously never been to your local skate shop? I already saw someone replied to your post, but the main thing is they are run by actual skateboarders. Usually if there are contest, they can help host them. Hopefully if they have filmers, they would make a local skate video. If you were to get sponsored from a skate shop, it’s a good start to step into the industry.

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 41
« Reply #1157 on: March 20, 2023, 03:25:46 AM »
I don't know what is my local. I'm from Tokyo so every skate shop I've visited is really far from my house. Maybe 50 minutes or 1 hour by train... within Tokyo :-X Near my neighborhood there is a Murasaki Sports shop inside a mall. it's maybe like Zumiez in USA. It would be my local? I don't buy too much there because they don't have the boards I want.
I've been in some skate shops around Tokyo (FatBros, Arktz Harajuku, Heshdawg...) but the owners seem the most soulless people in the world. They don't talk, they don't look at you, they just give you the deck, take your money and sayōnara.
However, the guys at Murasaki Sports are very friendly. I usually buy online not because of cheaper prices (prices are exactly the same in online shops and local shops), but because I only find online the gear I want.

My unpopular opinion for 2023 is: The reason that most of guys make fun of skinny jeans is because they're insecure about the shape of their legs. The "You can't move freely" is just an excuse. Please, let's talk about pants again ;D

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #1158 on: March 20, 2023, 05:55:56 AM »
I don't know what is my local. I'm from Tokyo so every skate shop I've visited is really far from my house. Maybe 50 minutes or 1 hour by train... within Tokyo :-X Near my neighborhood there is a Murasaki Sports shop inside a mall. it's maybe like Zumiez in USA. It would be my local? I don't buy too much there because they don't have the boards I want.
I've been in some skate shops around Tokyo (FatBros, Arktz Harajuku, Heshdawg...) but the owners seem the most soulless people in the world. They don't talk, they don't look at you, they just give you the deck, take your money and sayōnara.
However, the guys at Murasaki Sports are very friendly. I usually buy online not because of cheaper prices (prices are exactly the same in online shops and local shops), but because I only find online the gear I want.

My unpopular opinion for 2023 is: The reason that most of guys make fun of skinny jeans is because they're insecure about the shape of their legs. The "You can't move freely" is just an excuse. Please, let's talk about pants again ;D

I’m sorry to hear this.
There are some nice small shops in Tokyo, but the scene can be really intimidating too. I know the type of shop you’re talking about. Not friendly at all.

Fabric is a good one if you get a chance, but it’s fucking tiny. But they treat their customers well if you have questions.

It’s a bit far away, but BQ in Oyama in Tochigi is really good too. Most of the shops where I am in Nagano do a good job of being polite and creating a local scene.

And if Murasaki sports does a better job than your locals (I don’t shop there because they don’t carry anything over 8.5) then go to them.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -453
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1159 on: March 20, 2023, 06:43:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Have you seriously never been to your local skate shop? I already saw someone replied to your post, but the main thing is they are run by actual skateboarders. Usually if there are contest, they can help host them. Hopefully if they have filmers, they would make a local skate video. If you were to get sponsored from a skate shop, it’s a good start to step into the industry.

So I’m morally obligated to spend 30-50% more on everything because they might have somebody on their team might break into the industry by being on the team? Everybody has iPhones and ig now I don’t think it’s that hard to get clips anymore

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 121
« Reply #1160 on: March 20, 2023, 08:51:46 AM »
I honestly like Chris Cole's style

Could have also been posted in the real confessions thread

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1161 on: March 20, 2023, 09:18:46 AM »

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’ve got a really beautiful, muscular set of legs and have no insecurities about them and hate skinny jeans.  The rest of me is hideous, but the legs are good.  I can PM you a pic of you don’t believe me. 

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Lhotse’s Pit of Death

• Rep: -379
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1162 on: March 20, 2023, 10:06:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

So I’m morally obligated to spend 30-50% more on everything because they might have somebody on their team might break into the industry by being on the team? Everybody has iPhones and ig now I don’t think it’s that hard to get clips anymore
Agreed. It’s silly to me that people apply their own situation to everyone as if it were gospel. I’m willing to bet that more often than not, most people: live too far away from a ‘local’, see that prices at the local are exponentially higher, and possibly have staff that unfortunately have negative biases against customers based on certain skill levels, looks, brands that are purchased that may not be ‘cool’ , and amount spent to name a few that may make the ‘local’ a hostile and shitty place. Especially if your ‘local’ IS owned by a pro for clout and has almost no hardware inventory but tons of overpriced boutique clothing and dunk raffles.
And for what? To fulfill some shop owner’s dream? Bc Maybe three kids that you have never met or will never skate with will get a salary bc you buy a deck every month? To rent a hot dog cart for a competition or demo you have no interest in going to? It’s not my problem that 90 percent of shops can’t pay employees a living wage- they shouldn’t have opened to begin with if that’s the case.   
If you need or like having that sense of community or you’re in a scene that regularly supports ppl getting flowed or having upward mobility in skating that’s great. That situation does not exist everywhere and/or people don’t care to put up with higher prices and a possible toxic community if it does. Lastly, between school for children and work for adults, who the fuck has time to sit at a shop and watch Thrasher youtube videos all day with some fucking dude behind the counter wearing Carrhart overalls and a Dime cap rolling his eyes at kids buying Grizzly grip just so you can have ‘community’? I’m too busy skating after work for that shit. Fucking losers rofl.

IpathCats

« Reply #1163 on: March 20, 2023, 10:35:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Agreed. It’s silly to me that people apply their own situation to everyone as if it were gospel. I’m willing to bet that more often than not, most people: live too far away from a ‘local’, see that prices at the local are exponentially higher, and possibly have staff that unfortunately have negative biases against customers based on certain skill levels, looks, brands that are purchased that may not be ‘cool’ , and amount spent to name a few that may make the ‘local’ a hostile and shitty place. Especially if your ‘local’ IS owned by a pro for clout and has almost no hardware inventory but tons of overpriced boutique clothing and dunk raffles.
And for what? To fulfill some shop owner’s dream? Bc Maybe three kids that you have never met or will never skate with will get a salary bc you buy a deck every month? To rent a hot dog cart for a competition or demo you have no interest in going to? It’s not my problem that 90 percent of shops can’t pay employees a living wage- they shouldn’t have opened to begin with if that’s the case.   
If you need or like having that sense of community or you’re in a scene that regularly supports ppl getting flowed or having upward mobility in skating that’s great. That situation does not exist everywhere and/or people don’t care to put up with higher prices and a possible toxic community if it does. Lastly, between school for children and work for adults, who the fuck has time to sit at a shop and watch Thrasher youtube videos all day with some fucking dude behind the counter wearing Carrhart overalls and a Dime cap rolling his eyes at kids buying Grizzly grip just so you can have ‘community’? I’m too busy skating after work for that shit. Fucking losers rofl.

If you guys don't understand the value (economic and otherwise) of supporting small local businesses vs giant online stores in the year 2023, just do a quick google search for me please. I'm not explaining all of that.

I'm not saying shop employees never "cool-guy" anyone, that shit is lame and I would hope shops hire more welcoming people.

But WHAT IF, and this is a huge "WHAT IF", you're just a fucking kook so they treat you like one?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #1164 on: March 20, 2023, 10:54:05 AM »
Here’s a thought- support your local shop if it’s cool. If they’re not do what you like.

If you don’t have a local shop you’re off the hook.

And if you’re like me and really picky about boards you can split the difference by buying shirts and hoodies from the shop, cause that’s how they make money anyway. Buy boards from tactics or wherever, everyone basically breaks even on those sales so it’s not like you’re supporting big corporations.

IpathCats

« Reply #1165 on: March 20, 2023, 10:57:11 AM »
Here’s a thought- support your local shop if it’s cool. If they’re not do what you like.

If you don’t have a local shop you’re off the hook.

And if you’re like me and really picky about boards you can split the difference by buying shirts and hoodies from the shop, cause that’s how they make money anyway. Buy boards from tactics or wherever, everyone basically breaks even on those sales so it’s not like you’re supporting big corporations.

Yea that's a fair and reasonable approach.

Wasn't feeling very fair and reasonable after reading all that braindead bullshit tbh.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
« Reply #1166 on: March 20, 2023, 11:14:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

If you guys don't understand the value (economic and otherwise) of supporting small local businesses vs giant online stores in the year 2023, just do a quick google search for me please. I'm not explaining all of that.

I'm not saying shop employees never "cool-guy" anyone, that shit is lame and I would hope shops hire more welcoming people.

But WHAT IF, and this is a huge "WHAT IF", you're just a fucking kook so they treat you like one?

His rant gave me "I've been cool-guyed more times than I can count" energy for sure.

switchfakie

« Reply #1167 on: March 20, 2023, 11:30:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

i could give less fucks about help stimulating my local economy. that's honestly the only reason you should even support a local business. im not gonna re-evaluate my outlook on saving money just to help out some dudes ive never skated with nor have the desire to skate with

also being cool guyed isnt a good feeling when youre in the shop for the sole purpose of trying to help them out by shopping there

ofc its a case by case basis, but to force the idea "you must support your local shop" is something stupid that the skateboarding hivemind have come up with

IpathCats

« Reply #1168 on: March 20, 2023, 11:34:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

i could give less fucks about help stimulating my local economy. that's honestly the only reason you should even support a local business. im not gonna re-evaluate my outlook on saving money just to help out some dudes ive never skated with nor have the desire to skate with

also being cool guyed isnt a good feeling when youre in the shop for the sole purpose of trying to help them out by shopping there

ofc its a case by case basis, but to force the idea "you must support your local shop" is something stupid that the skateboarding hivemind have come up with

You must not have heard of "Two Felons"

switchfakie

« Reply #1169 on: March 20, 2023, 11:49:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

You must not have heard of "Two Felons"

Explain habibi