Author Topic: The coffee thread  (Read 43245 times)

Prince Nelson

Re: The coffee thread
« Reply #330 on: November 18, 2014, 05:32:44 AM »
Got some chameleon cold brew for free from work. Gonna try it in the morning. Do you guys dilute with water or milk? Or drink it straight? I'm gonna try a few different ways since it's four servings.

Personally, I can drink it straight. But I don't recommend it. A 1/1 dilution with non-dairy milk of your choice is a good option.

foureyedjim

« Reply #331 on: November 18, 2014, 12:57:11 PM »
It's really worth picking up a little manual hand grinder if you're just making a cup for yourself each morning - like the Hario foureyedjim posted or a Porlex (they fit in the top of the Aeropress, which is really handy). You can easily adjust both to suit different brew methods and they're quicker and cleaner than fucking around with a spice grinder. 

If anyone is on the fence about it, give me a day or two to try it out and i'll let you know if it's worth it.
In the US it's 30 USD on amazon.  I thought about the krups blade grinder, but if $10 more can get me an actual ceramic grinder, I thought it was reasonable.  Some say the taste is different due to the varying grinding processes.  Dunno if I'm enough of an expert to tell, but I do have something similar to the krups grinder so maybe I'll do a taste test.

dillanharp

« Reply #332 on: November 18, 2014, 01:04:53 PM »
I just use one of these and it's fine. perfect amount of grounds for the bodum french press.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1608
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #333 on: November 18, 2014, 11:40:36 PM »
The burr has a more consistent larger grind which works well with the French press because a blade grinder will obliterate the coffee...resulting in some smaller grounds getting through the filter....

Something like that.....

I got the porlex one and it's sick....

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #334 on: November 19, 2014, 08:10:27 AM »
Blade grinders slice up your beans, if you just drink coffee using finer grinds then I think blade grinders are good for that task

Burr grinders I think crush and grind the beans in a more consistent way and allows for a wider range of grinds. You can get really nice fine powder for Turkish coffee with burr grinders or a real consistent coarse grind for a French press

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
« Reply #335 on: November 19, 2014, 11:51:19 AM »
like i said above, if you're going to press get a decent burr grinder. if you don't then you won't be able to control the size you are grinding at and you'll either be too fine or too big and it'll always be inconsistent.

practically speaking this means your coffee will be watery with grinds in it.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1293
« Reply #336 on: February 27, 2018, 07:04:23 PM »
whenever i feel like ive been drinking too much coffee, i remind myself that voltaire was rumored to drink around 50 cups a day.

french press or bust

anyone ever work as a barista?
man those were the days

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #337 on: February 28, 2018, 06:07:22 AM »
whenever i feel like ive been drinking too much coffee, i remind myself that voltaire was rumored to drink around 50 cups a day.

french press or bust

anyone ever work as a barista?
man those were the days

50? I don't know about that one. Would give you terrible tymmy pains, for sure.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #338 on: March 01, 2018, 11:03:21 AM »
i got this a few months ago.  fucking game changer.

more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 49
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #339 on: March 01, 2018, 12:05:10 PM »
anyone try out the able brewing aeropress disks yet? never been able to get crema through it before and it looks like a dope option.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #340 on: March 01, 2018, 03:15:42 PM »
Pour-over for morning coffee. For the rest of the day I make macchiatos and lattes at home with the almond milk I make. So much better than regular milk.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #341 on: March 01, 2018, 04:23:31 PM »
I've been reduced to decaf these days...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #342 on: March 01, 2018, 04:47:35 PM »
Camped for 14 days straight and learned how to do the pour over coffee, camping style. getting up first each day to make coffee on the coleman grill. Something about being more involved in your coffee-process makes it more satisfying and delicious.

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #343 on: March 02, 2018, 12:38:28 AM »
I've never tried coffee... is it everything everyone makes it out to be? Or should i Just continue drinking tea like a stooge

Chinaski's underpants

• Rep: 1
« Reply #344 on: March 02, 2018, 02:15:29 AM »
I've never tried coffee... is it everything everyone makes it out to be? Or should i Just continue drinking tea like a stooge

Is yr tea black or with milk?

If you drink black tea, I would suggest getting an aeropress and playing around with some good quality beans (I don't know if strictly single-origin deems the best quality, but I've had good luck with that stuff)
Aeropress'd black coffee is like super-fancy tea, that gets you bit more buzzed.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1573
« Reply #345 on: March 02, 2018, 05:24:01 AM »
on week days, I make 1.25 liter of Chemex coffee every morning to get me through the day. then tea in the afternoon / evening, and the occasional small french press on week-ends. I have at least 6, maybe 12 coffee-making devices at my place, none of them electrical, but the Chemex is what I resort to 99% of the time. italian moka pots are cool too but then I'm too lazy to clean them afterwards so I barely use mine anymore.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #346 on: March 02, 2018, 05:39:38 AM »

id rather give up beer for the rest of my life than give up coffee, and i love beer.

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 741
« Reply #347 on: March 02, 2018, 06:11:27 AM »
how do i get thick coffee from an aeropress? i did it once by accident and i cannot recreate it
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

baroque_0bama

• Rep: 21
  • Feathers McGraw
« Reply #348 on: March 02, 2018, 12:00:10 PM »
how do i get thick coffee from an aeropress? i did it once by accident and i cannot recreate it

you could prolly use 2-3 filters instead of 1 so less water passes through as quickly. grind the shit outta your beans, use a little more force when you press, maybe even make sure the beans are as fresh as possible.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 314
« Reply #349 on: March 02, 2018, 11:18:19 PM »
I just got my first bag from rhetoric coffee (monthly based coffee program) drank folgers black with one sugar for the last 6 years. I forgot how amazing coffee can taste.

Andrew

• Rep: 100
  • lightcatcher
« Reply #350 on: March 03, 2018, 06:56:36 PM »
Camped for 14 days straight and learned how to do the pour over coffee, camping style. getting up first each day to make coffee on the coleman grill. Something about being more involved in your coffee-process makes it more satisfying and delicious.

this is the best ever. when i used to go backpacking all the time i loved being the first one up so i can start this process, making a coffee for everyone and stoking them out as they woke up to hot coffee/cocoa combo
The only thing you nerds grind down is yer keyboard keys.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #351 on: March 04, 2018, 10:55:27 AM »
I just got my first bag from rhetoric coffee (monthly based coffee program) drank folgers black with one sugar for the last 6 years. I forgot how amazing coffee can taste.

Just looked this up. It's a cool idea and I dig the artwork on the bags, but it looks super expensive for what you get. We go through a 2lb bag about every two or three weeks and I get those at costco for around $10-14 depending on what I go with.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #352 on: March 04, 2018, 11:03:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just looked this up. It's a cool idea and I dig the artwork on the bags, but it looks super expensive for what you get. We go through a 2lb bag about every two or three weeks and I get those at costco for around $10-14 depending on what I go with.

Yeah I definitely know i'll go through this bag in a week or two. We drink at least one pot of coffee a day at my spot. It did force me to buy a coffee grinder though so next time i'm at costco I can bulk buy some beans. I'm just happy to not be drinking folgers anymore haha.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #353 on: March 04, 2018, 12:09:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah I definitely know i'll go through this bag in a week or two. We drink at least one pot of coffee a day at my spot. It did force me to buy a coffee grinder though so next time i'm at costco I can bulk buy some beans. I'm just happy to not be drinking folgers anymore haha.

grinding your own only takes an extra 30 seconds but makes a world of difference in my opinion.

are you using a drip machine? if you are, give one of the non-electronic methods that have been mentioned a shot. pour-over cups are cheap and not much work. im yet to find something i like more than a french press, but those take away all the convenience of pretty much any other coffee maker. theres nothing wrong with drip machines, but people tend to let them get dirty and that has a huge effect on flavor.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1608
« Reply #354 on: March 04, 2018, 01:19:41 PM »
I've mentioned this before but I like the idea of keeping it simple....hand grinder, stainless steel French press....good thermos...ceramic commuter in car...coffee mug at home....good beans.

Every season I get some natural process beans and the flavours are crazy....

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 594
« Reply #355 on: March 04, 2018, 05:16:51 PM »
Any coffee recommendations?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #356 on: March 04, 2018, 06:54:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

id rather give up beer for the rest of my life than give up coffee, and i love beer.
yeah, I'm way too caffeine sensitive these days but I still love the taste so I drink decaf. I don't think I could do the same with beer.
I didn't start drinking coffee until I was around 28 though, if you've never tried it Drew I guess you could just keep rolling with that? I mean it's not a necessity but once you dive down that rabbit hole...
whatever you do though, don't buy that shitty sugar in a can flavored with black tar shit that they sell in vending machines here, shit is VILE

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #357 on: March 05, 2018, 04:12:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

grinding your own only takes an extra 30 seconds but makes a world of difference in my opinion.

are you using a drip machine? if you are, give one of the non-electronic methods that have been mentioned a shot. pour-over cups are cheap and not much work. im yet to find something i like more than a french press, but those take away all the convenience of pretty much any other coffee maker. theres nothing wrong with drip machines, but people tend to let them get dirty and that has a huge effect on flavor.

We just use a standard drip coffee maker. Everyone in the house works 40+ a week so first one up makes a pot and we all fill our thermos from that. I have a hand grinder but its my old roommates grandpa's so im sending it to him while hes in Japan. Rhetoric is great coffee but not enough for my household to rely on.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #358 on: February 26, 2023, 03:31:07 AM »
I’m currently drinking this, which isn’t that great:

When that’s done, I have six packs of these because it’s fair trade, organic, and $5/each:

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #359 on: February 26, 2023, 05:13:36 AM »
Two cups of dark roast supermarket coffee at home in the morning, if I need a boost I get a double espresso sometimes.