Author Topic: Jobs  (Read 141611 times)

GauchoAmigo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 66
Re: Jobs
« Reply #840 on: September 23, 2021, 06:25:48 AM »
Has anyone ever taken career counseling and recommend it? I've only had one job my entire adult life and in the past year I've become very disillusioned with it. It's a very specialized field with a very specialized degree (audio engineering) so I think I would have to go back to school, which I'm fine with, but I'm having troubles trying to figure out what else I can see myself doing  :-\

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #841 on: September 23, 2021, 01:24:24 PM »
Has anyone ever taken career counseling and recommend it? I've only had one job my entire adult life and in the past year I've become very disillusioned with it. It's a very specialized field with a very specialized degree (audio engineering) so I think I would have to go back to school, which I'm fine with, but I'm having troubles trying to figure out what else I can see myself doing  :-\

Lots companies are hiring, if you have good English and good Logic you are basically hired  (looks like you got it perfect) some of those companies will pay for your education (accounting, finance, programming, whatever)...
Just my 2cents

Edit: Wanted to add that I think it's smart to first work in the field of your choice to see if you will like it, before investing money on education...

GauchoAmigo

• Rep: 66
« Reply #842 on: September 23, 2021, 02:34:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lots companies are hiring, if you have good English and good Logic you are basically hired  (looks like you got it perfect) some of those companies will pay for your education (accounting, finance, programming, whatever)...
Just my 2cents

Edit: Wanted to add that I think it's smart to first work in the field of your choice to see if you will like it, before investing money on education...

I see you have good intentions, but do you live in a country where English isn't the native language? I'm in Canada.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #843 on: September 23, 2021, 02:41:02 PM »
UX designer for a huge company everyone has heard of and seen on TV, I work mostly on their mobile apps.

When my kids start elementary school I plan on taking the leap and become a freelance designer and brand consultant. With some success I might open an agency.

The pandemic taught me that I can totally work from home, and I skate and play tennis all the time now.

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 416
« Reply #844 on: September 23, 2021, 04:12:12 PM »
UX designer for a huge company everyone has heard of and seen on TV, I work mostly on their mobile apps.

When my kids start elementary school I plan on taking the leap and become a freelance designer and brand consultant. With some success I might open an agency.

The pandemic taught me that I can totally work from home, and I skate and play tennis all the time now.

We should all start a SLAP pals ad agency. I'm an ACD at a big agency and can't wait to go freelance or start my own thing with friends.
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

LebowskisRug

« Reply #845 on: September 23, 2021, 05:43:54 PM »
Academia -> Intelligence -> Govt Contracting -> Data Science (8 years, longest role) -> Technical Program Manager for Experimentation.

I also make boutique rock climbing holds on the side: https://www.instagram.com/dubgrips/

I would love to leave "professional" life behind and just make holds and boutique cutting boards or some shit.

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #846 on: September 23, 2021, 08:42:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Just my 2cents

[close]

I see you have good intentions, but do you live in a country where English isn't the native language? I'm in Canada.

I apologize, I thought you were living in Brazil because of your username. I've been looking closely at the Brazilian job market because I need a job and career change myself as well.

Edit: I am American/Brazilian, living in the US...I want to get away from Finance lol

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #847 on: September 24, 2021, 05:30:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

We should all start a SLAP pals ad agency. I'm an ACD at a big agency and can't wait to go freelance or start my own thing with friends.

AD/UI guy here. Sign me up.

A buddy of mine in the last year has been running some freelance while working full time. His eventual goal is to freelance full time. It does seem like a pretty sweet gig if you can get enough money flowing in.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #848 on: September 24, 2021, 07:34:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Count me in.

I'm a network agency ECD.

Been moonlighting as a marketing consultant for a Swiss crypto exchange. As soon as you operate outside of an 'agency', your clients actually value and act on your advice. It’s bizarre.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 07:22:21 PM by Mouth »
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #849 on: September 25, 2021, 06:26:19 PM »
Good money in the trades
Unionise or eat shit

Edit

Debated posting this but I want kids to see this and get in the trades

Three days pay cunt
We eating over here

« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 10:36:47 PM by matty_c »
listen to cosmic psychos

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #850 on: September 25, 2021, 08:07:21 PM »
Good money in the trades
Unionise or eat shit

Edit

Debated posting this but I want kids to see this and get in the trades

Three days pay cunt
We eating over here

Holy shit
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 11:59:38 PM by layzieyez »

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #851 on: September 25, 2021, 09:07:40 PM »
Atta boy Matty.

If I wasn’t doing what I do now, I’d probably be in the trades. Some days I think about switching, but it would be a tough pay cut for a couple years I’d assume.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #852 on: September 25, 2021, 09:26:55 PM »
Lol made heaps more on meterage just hard graft
I’m not trying to be an asshole here what I’m trying to say is I want you in the trades
You know that Uncle Sam picture where he wants ya
That’s what I’m saying
Lmao labourers get like a buck fifty less
Unity cunt, touch one touch all
We’re in this together don’t be silly mate
listen to cosmic psychos

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #853 on: September 25, 2021, 09:36:45 PM »
Any cunt in Brisbane want a job
Not even joking this is my idea of a forum let’s help each other

Edit

Not even kidding my boss got a cab dragon on his wall
Cunts been skating since 83
Dm me for work full career opportunities
No experience required just have the right attitude
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 09:55:25 PM by matty_c »
listen to cosmic psychos

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #854 on: October 09, 2021, 03:15:09 PM »
Just got a job at Target after a hard 5 months of being flat broke, unemployed with absolutely nothing (not even skating) to preoccupy me. I'm doing some type of clothing section bullshit and happy to be finally getting some paper in my pocket on a regular basis again. I'm noticing that I happen to be the only dude in a department full of women and that's been the case with my last 3 jobs so it's starting to get weird. I found out that I'm replacing some dude that's pretty homo so I'm not sure how to handle that seeing as I'm hetero. I haven't met/seen any of the chicks besides the department head so I could be working with babes or I could be chilling with some gorillas, I've no idea. I've also been staying drug free during the whole summer in case I had to get tested for some shit and didn't wanna fuck it up and was surprised when I found out Target was screening me.  It's pretty ironic because I contemplated doing some coke not even a week ago since I was 5 months deep into filling out endless apps and sending resume after resume with no leads and thought "Fuck it" thankfully I opted out precisely for a situation like this one, it's actually hilarious when I think about it. Guess I can get back to blazing from time to time, hell maybe even more than before. Gonna be getting 35 hours a week but still might look for another gig on the side to get some extra cash at least until school starts in spring. The 6 months I've spent back with my pops has been more than enough and I miss having my own place badly.

Wow. Forgot I ever posted this. Currently just finished my masters in social work and did what I thought would be impossible for me and recently got hired as an addiction counselor at a rehab facility and do mental health counseling on the side. Shit is wild.  I just thought I'd peel through this thread for no reason. At the time I had just lost my apartment, car, and had to give up skating due to my first (of two) ACL injuries. I kept going though.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 04:13:38 PM by Kanye Omari West »

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #855 on: October 09, 2021, 08:17:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Copywriter here. Have a couple big agency names under my belt. And made the switch to tech.

Love how WFH gave me the time to skate again.

kingpinuser

• Rep: 54
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #856 on: October 10, 2021, 06:21:20 AM »
I'm an Optician and 4 months ago I moved up to district manager looking after 7 Optical stores, I didn't go looking for this job it kinda fell into my lap. The longer I do the job the more I respect handmade or vintage eye-wear. Over the last few years I have been finding vintage frames, 50's and 60's mainly, and fixing them up to wear or sell. Over winter I'm going to be trying my hand in making my own. I hope to leave the job I'm doing now, I had planned on doing this job for one year, put some money away and start to build an agency importing eye-wear from companies that are not in North America. These companies respect quality, and don't over charge for cheap easy to break frames.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 06:28:34 AM by kingpinuser »

newguy

« Reply #857 on: October 12, 2021, 10:53:25 AM »
Anyone working as a 3D generalist here? Currently studying 3D animation and VFX wanna know what the job market is like, they keep telling us it’s great and there are endless jobs but I’m not taking the blue pill, reality isn’t that rosy and happy. I’ll surely get a position, I’m in a good school, top 5 worldwide, Disney and Pixar fish for employees from graduates every year, etc. But I’d like to get some gloves off talk from someone working a position in the industry

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #858 on: October 12, 2021, 03:06:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Just got a job at Target after a hard 5 months of being flat broke, unemployed with absolutely nothing (not even skating) to preoccupy me. I'm doing some type of clothing section bullshit and happy to be finally getting some paper in my pocket on a regular basis again. I'm noticing that I happen to be the only dude in a department full of women and that's been the case with my last 3 jobs so it's starting to get weird. I found out that I'm replacing some dude that's pretty homo so I'm not sure how to handle that seeing as I'm hetero. I haven't met/seen any of the chicks besides the department head so I could be working with babes or I could be chilling with some gorillas, I've no idea. I've also been staying drug free during the whole summer in case I had to get tested for some shit and didn't wanna fuck it up and was surprised when I found out Target was screening me.  It's pretty ironic because I contemplated doing some coke not even a week ago since I was 5 months deep into filling out endless apps and sending resume after resume with no leads and thought "Fuck it" thankfully I opted out precisely for a situation like this one, it's actually hilarious when I think about it. Guess I can get back to blazing from time to time, hell maybe even more than before. Gonna be getting 35 hours a week but still might look for another gig on the side to get some extra cash at least until school starts in spring. The 6 months I've spent back with my pops has been more than enough and I miss having my own place badly.
[close]

Wow. Forgot I ever posted this. Currently just finished my masters in social work and did what I thought would be impossible for me and recently got hired as an addiction counselor at a rehab facility and do mental health counseling on the side. Shit is wild.  I just thought I'd peel through this thread for no reason. At the time I had just lost my apartment, car, and had to give up skating due to my first (of two) ACL injuries. I kept going though.
Dude, what? Congrats on making such big moves for yourself! That's amazing and I'm stoked for you.

I recently moved jobs at the university I've been working at for the last 2+ years. It was a bit of an upgrade that came with a slight pay raise. Instead of answering to angry students and their parents all day, I now make sure that grad students get paid and get their financial aid. Definitely not a bad place to be.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #859 on: October 15, 2021, 10:40:25 PM »
After some 7 years in banking related IT field which was the most useless and boring and just stupid shit ever, I've now been working almost 5 years at a mobile gaming startup (or atleast it was a startup originally, maybe too big for that already). I work mostly in testing so it's still boring and not very stimulating work, and I took a considerable paycut to start working there, but everyone at the company is super talented and smart and nice and since it's a small company I have been able to be included in a lot of stuff and have some authority due to being one of the oldest workers there. And most excitingly it's looking like we are on the way to being able to start getting some monetary benefits of our success in the near-ish future, which may have some life-altering effects.

For literally years I did next to nothing while waiting for the company to scale up so I would have more to do and lately I've finally had to start busting my ass a bit but now we are also growing so fast that suddenly there are all these new seasoned senior people being brought in and they start shitting on all the old workers saying that this is how things should be done because it's how we did it at my previous (failed) company. So now we're fighting the market and competitors on the outside and new conflicting ideas on the inside while trying to keep the thing heading in the right direction.

My dream is to build a new house in my dad's childhood place which is basically an orchard in the countryside and start growing vines and doing passion projects / hobbies instead of working a "job", but I guess pretty much everyone would prefer that. I've heard of people who have been given that opportunity of financial independence and they always say that after a few weeks of sitting around they want to go back to work, but I'm pretty sure they don't skate and I also have an insanely good tolerance for boredom (hence software testing).
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #860 on: October 25, 2021, 03:37:28 AM »
Seems like a lot of blue-collar folks on SLAP... Respect to you all.

Anyone working on a farm? Particularly sheep?

I'm completely burnt on my current career and thinking of making a mid-life pivot to farming. I'm sick of sitting around all day doing shit-all and occasionally placating my idiotic, narcissistic boss. I want to work. I know I will suffer physically. I don't really mind. I've already sent some messages to folks through connections with my current work. Let's see where it leads.

Lasernaut

• Rep: 4
« Reply #861 on: October 25, 2021, 07:47:46 AM »
Seems like a lot of blue-collar folks on SLAP... Respect to you all.

Anyone working on a farm? Particularly sheep?

I'm completely burnt on my current career and thinking of making a mid-life pivot to farming. I'm sick of sitting around all day doing shit-all and occasionally placating my idiotic, narcissistic boss. I want to work. I know I will suffer physically. I don't really mind. I've already sent some messages to folks through connections with my current work. Let's see where it leads.

I live on a farm in rural Denmark. We just sent 18 rabbits to the butcher, we have 2 cows that will soon be butchered as well. Livestock/farm animals take a lot of time and dedication. I am NOT a farmer type as you can read further down, but I have some experience. Travelling is nigh impossible if you have animals, and the possibility that the animals escape or have accidents or whatever is always there. Something to think about.
We spent a whole night trying to catch those 2 cows some months ago, and that was too much. Cows on the road = disaster.

Sheep are quite easy to keep I am told, so that might be a good starting point. Rabbits are also easy, they breed easily, they're climate friendly, and they are tasty and healthy to eat.
But they are also prone to being eaten by whatever predators roam the area.
Chickens are also very easy to keep, and fresh eggs every day is awesome.

However, if you really like animals and are not a travelling dude, it might be for you.
But a regular work week with an early friday and weekend is not very likely in this field.

I am a sort of art teacher, teaching kids about drawing and creative processes, painting, sculpting, that stuff. I also do freelance illustration/drawing on the side. Just finished reconstructive drawings of 10 Bronze Age artifacts for a museum.
Very pleased with where I am profesionally. I feel like I am doing something good for the children I teach, and I am very interested in Stone/Bronze/Iron/Viking/Middle Ages stuff, so this museum stuff is pretty much my dream job.

One year ago my professional life was one (1) stinking shit, and then I guess I sorted it out. Or maybe it just happened.

Spunkchild

• Rep: 38
  • Big gal
« Reply #862 on: October 25, 2021, 09:01:03 AM »

I am a sort of art teacher, teaching kids about drawing and creative processes, painting, sculpting, that stuff. I also do freelance illustration/drawing on the side. Just finished reconstructive drawings of 10 Bronze Age artifacts for a museum.
Very pleased with where I am profesionally. I feel like I am doing something good for the children I teach, and I am very interested in Stone/Bronze/Iron/Viking/Middle Ages stuff, so this museum stuff is pretty much my dream job.

One year ago my professional life was one (1) stinking shit, and then I guess I sorted it out. Or maybe it just happened.

this makes me very happy, trying to pivot after years in the restaurant and greater labor industry to the art/film world. It feels like its 1 stinking shit. Doing the work but its exhausting
I have bad taste and I smell like fetta cheese

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #863 on: November 23, 2021, 04:25:56 PM »
Man, I’d give it all up to be an art teacher living on a rural Danish rabbit farm.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #864 on: November 23, 2021, 05:33:03 PM »
After some 7 years in banking related IT field which was the most useless and boring and just stupid shit ever, I've now been working almost 5 years at a mobile gaming startup (or atleast it was a startup originally, maybe too big for that already). I work mostly in testing so it's still boring and not very stimulating work, and I took a considerable paycut to start working there, but everyone at the company is super talented and smart and nice and since it's a small company I have been able to be included in a lot of stuff and have some authority due to being one of the oldest workers there. And most excitingly it's looking like we are on the way to being able to start getting some monetary benefits of our success in the near-ish future, which may have some life-altering effects.

For literally years I did next to nothing while waiting for the company to scale up so I would have more to do and lately I've finally had to start busting my ass a bit but now we are also growing so fast that suddenly there are all these new seasoned senior people being brought in and they start shitting on all the old workers saying that this is how things should be done because it's how we did it at my previous (failed) company. So now we're fighting the market and competitors on the outside and new conflicting ideas on the inside while trying to keep the thing heading in the right direction.

My dream is to build a new house in my dad's childhood place which is basically an orchard in the countryside and start growing vines and doing passion projects / hobbies instead of working a "job", but I guess pretty much everyone would prefer that. I've heard of people who have been given that opportunity of financial independence and they always say that after a few weeks of sitting around they want to go back to work, but I'm pretty sure they don't skate and I also have an insanely good tolerance for boredom (hence software testing).

fuuuuck that. periods when I haven't had to a job are amazing. there's always things to do, whether it's leisure, working on things on your space/property, making things, learning things, etc. Going to a job outside the home everyday is a pretty new phenomenon in human history. Shit sucks. Maybe it depends on where you live. It might be boring in a suburb or something, but even then, if you've got financial independence, make some shit happen.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Fhk

« Reply #865 on: November 23, 2021, 05:46:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

fuuuuck that. periods when I haven't had to a job are amazing. there's always things to do, whether it's leisure, working on things on your space/property, making things, learning things, etc. Going to a job outside the home everyday is a pretty new phenomenon in human history. Shit sucks. Maybe it depends on where you live. It might be boring in a suburb or something, but even then, if you've got financial independence, make some shit happen.
I used to think I had to work a ton or I was a lazy fuck. That sure as fuck changed with time, I haven't worked since I parked my truck in early October, and I love it. Seeing that I live in the sticks I take hikes in the mountains almost every day with my kids and my dog, skate when it's above 32, and if I start to feel lazy I fuck around in my yard or work on my houses. I look forward to taking the Winter off maybe I will even try to like snowboarding again. I wish I realized in my 30's just work to live don't live to work.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #866 on: November 24, 2021, 07:35:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I used to think I had to work a ton or I was a lazy fuck. That sure as fuck changed with time, I haven't worked since I parked my truck in early October, and I love it. Seeing that I live in the sticks I take hikes in the mountains almost every day with my kids and my dog, skate when it's above 32, and if I start to feel lazy I fuck around in my yard or work on my houses. I look forward to taking the Winter off maybe I will even try to like snowboarding again. I wish I realized in my 30's just work to live don't live to work.

likewise.

you go x-country skiing or snowshoeing? I never had em but gotta get some when I move back.

Fhk

« Reply #867 on: November 24, 2021, 08:08:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

likewise.

you go x-country skiing or snowshoeing? I never had em but gotta get some when I move back.
Yessir I just started snowshoeing last winter. My in-laws gave me a beautiful set but I only got out twice. This winter I plan on getting out a lot more. It's a great workout and I need it come snowfall. Shit I may start looking for moose horns just to add to the fun.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #868 on: November 24, 2021, 08:15:51 PM »
I got a cleaning job. Five hour shifts and I can do the work in one hour and still get paid for five. Take that you poosey little call centre that fired me.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #869 on: November 24, 2021, 08:38:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

likewise.

[close]
Yessir I just started snowshoeing last winter. My in-laws gave me a beautiful set but I only got out twice. This winter I plan on getting out a lot more. It's a great workout and I need it come snowfall. Shit I may start looking for moose horns just to add to the fun.

ayeee that'd be sick. get high and cruise.

moose are baddass. we've got elk over here, but they're like 2/3 moose size. found some pretty massive elk antlers in a redwood forest once. but only once.