Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747469 times)

rosemaryBB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 33
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2520 on: September 26, 2020, 04:09:55 PM »
Sup y'all, happy Saturday. I was just sitting here contemplating for a bit, and I am very hung up on the fact that I vastly prefer my 44s to my 55s even though 55s kind of make more sense in most applications.

For some background, I'm 6'3", size 11, and mostly skate curbs and mellow transitions. As far as boards go, I like an 8.5"-8.75" popsicle or a 9"-9.25" shaped.

I have a set of 44s and 55s that are both about the same age, but the 44s just feel significantly better to me...less bite, lock into grinds better, better pop, better turn. Why do they feel so much better? I want to like the 55s more because they're wider and fit the boards I like a little better, but every single time I skate the 44s it's just a consistently better session. The only reason I ever go back is because I get the madness and think, "these are too small, they look like toy trucks" (I never think this when I see them on other people's boards) and the cycle repeats. I kinda felt the same way with Indys, that 149s always felt way better than 159s to me.

Anyway, any insight some of you might have would be vastly appreciated, even if it is just stating the obvious (that I am overthinking this).

I may be mistaken, but it might have to do with different variations - I know that Ace was going to retool the 44's a little bit at some point (based on the Ben Degros review vid from end of 2019 I think) so depending on when you bought each pair you might have gotten trucks that while seemingly similar in every way except size, actually have some slight variation. Again, not positive if this is the case.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2521 on: September 26, 2020, 04:17:42 PM »
I rotate between 44s and 55s also and feel the same. I always put it down to 55s being so much wider. You are going to get more wheel bite, feel more stable, heavier truck.... Ace 8.75" will be the solution.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 06:54:32 PM by Frank and Fred »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2522 on: September 26, 2020, 04:21:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Sup y'all, happy Saturday. I was just sitting here contemplating for a bit, and I am very hung up on the fact that I vastly prefer my 44s to my 55s even though 55s kind of make more sense in most applications.

For some background, I'm 6'3", size 11, and mostly skate curbs and mellow transitions. As far as boards go, I like an 8.5"-8.75" popsicle or a 9"-9.25" shaped.

I have a set of 44s and 55s that are both about the same age, but the 44s just feel significantly better to me...less bite, lock into grinds better, better pop, better turn. Why do they feel so much better? I want to like the 55s more because they're wider and fit the boards I like a little better, but every single time I skate the 44s it's just a consistently better session. The only reason I ever go back is because I get the madness and think, "these are too small, they look like toy trucks" (I never think this when I see them on other people's boards) and the cycle repeats. I kinda felt the same way with Indys, that 149s always felt way better than 159s to me.

Anyway, any insight some of you might have would be vastly appreciated, even if it is just stating the obvious (that I am overthinking this).
[close]

I may be mistaken, but it might have to do with different variations - I know that Ace was going to retool the 44's a little bit at some point (based on the Ben Degros review vid from end of 2019 I think) so depending on when you bought each pair you might have gotten trucks that while seemingly similar in every way except size, actually have some slight variation. Again, not positive if this is the case.

Yeah, both are the same stage so it isn't that. Never tried any of the older Aces but from when I hear they weren't as nice.

I rotate between 44s and 55s also and feel the same. I always put it down to 55s being so much wider. You are going to get more wheelbase, feel more stable, heavier truck.... Ace 8.75" will be the solution.

We have talked about this before (kind of) but I hope you are right. The 9" is a hell of a jump from 8.35", though I will say that the 44 is so versatile for its size.

I take care of my curbs.

« Reply #2523 on: September 26, 2020, 04:29:56 PM »
I could be wrong but I wanted to throw it out just in case.  Maybe you just like the smaller size because it’s less axle to balance on?  I skated 215s for a long time and got used to the width but when I sized down to 9 inch trucks it made grinds feel more stable because I was able to be a bit more precise with how I aimed my grinds.  Maybe you’re feeling that same thing?  Or maybe similarly to Ishod and others, you prefer the slight magic carpet ride?  I’ve heard people who do the tucked under wheels claim they can flip the board much better with a smaller truck/wider board. 

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2524 on: September 26, 2020, 05:01:01 PM »
I could be wrong but I wanted to throw it out just in case.  Maybe you just like the smaller size because it’s less axle to balance on?  I skated 215s for a long time and got used to the width but when I sized down to 9 inch trucks it made grinds feel more stable because I was able to be a bit more precise with how I aimed my grinds.  Maybe you’re feeling that same thing?  Or maybe similarly to Ishod and others, you prefer the slight magic carpet ride?  I’ve heard people who do the tucked under wheels claim they can flip the board much better with a smaller truck/wider board.

Could be part of it. I am always able to stick longer on the 44s. Don't flip my board much but definitely (and strongly) prefer magic carpet to hotrod when possible.

Diocletian

« Reply #2525 on: September 28, 2020, 06:52:17 PM »
When fitting boards with 55's those all have 14.5"+ wheelbases and a longer WB equals a slower turn. Along with the trucks being wider themselves it's a combo that just doesn't keep the turn quite as sharp as some 44's or 33's. That being said, the extra grinding surface of some 55's feels amazing.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #2526 on: September 28, 2020, 08:03:19 PM »
When fitting boards with 55's those all have 14.5"+ wheelbases and a longer WB equals a slower turn. Along with the trucks being wider themselves it's a combo that just doesn't keep the turn quite as sharp as some 44's or 33's. That being said, the extra grinding surface of some 55's feels amazing.

I think this is why I am so into my 9" polar boards w/ 14.5 WB and Ace 55s. Just feels so damn good to turn.

Just coming back to skating pretty recently I had my natural affinity/loyalty to indy, but I needed to go up a truck size quickly. I was riding 8.75" and 159s but really wanted to get up to a 9" and everyone was screaming ACE at me. So glad I tried them. I'm convert for sure. Just riding stock. Im a big boy so to anyone else it would feel like Im riding tight, but theyre perfect to me for carving tight pockets.
ok thanks

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2527 on: September 28, 2020, 08:09:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think this is why I am so into my 9" polar boards w/ 14.5 WB and Ace 55s. Just feels so damn good to turn.

Just coming back to skating pretty recently I had my natural affinity/loyalty to indy, but I needed to go up a truck size quickly. I was riding 8.75" and 159s but really wanted to get up to a 9" and everyone was screaming ACE at me. So glad I tried them. I'm convert for sure. Just riding stock. Im a big boy so to anyone else it would feel like Im riding tight, but theyre perfect to me for carving tight pockets.
you’re making it hard to resist grabbing some 55’s

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2528 on: September 29, 2020, 05:02:03 AM »
you’re making it hard to resist grabbing some 55’s

haha sorry dude! But they are really, really good.
ok thanks

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #2529 on: September 29, 2020, 09:09:44 AM »
Has anyone set up a Polar Shin Sanbogi shaped board with their aces yet? I've seen pictures of people skating them with indys, ventures, and such but it looks like those wheel wells are made for aces.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #2530 on: September 29, 2020, 09:15:47 AM »
Has anyone set up a Polar Shin Sanbogi shaped board with their aces yet? I've seen pictures of people skating them with indys, ventures, and such but it looks like those wheel wells are made for aces.

Shin actually rides for Ace if that answers your question

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2531 on: September 29, 2020, 10:04:22 AM »
Ace fits the wheel wells nicely. I'm on his surf shape right now and next up his the skate rabbit. 44s are my choice. However, I have some Stage 8 146s I think I'll put on the skate rabbit.

popwar4

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2532 on: September 29, 2020, 12:54:11 PM »

i run 55's w/ 60mm OJ's on the 8.75 shin board - its rad the wheel wells work well. i have risers and skate super loose trucks, never get wheel bite.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2533 on: October 04, 2020, 10:17:59 PM »

Not sure If they were “made” for them but yeah, Shin rides for Ace so that’s probably a good indicator.
These 56mm have risers so you could get away with no wheel wells. Either way though, they look dope!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 10:59:59 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Diocletian

« Reply #2534 on: October 05, 2020, 06:24:13 PM »

Via Brad McClain’s IG story

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2535 on: October 05, 2020, 06:26:06 PM »

Via Brad McClain’s IG story

Hell yeah. Those are the new versions, by the looks of it. 55s measuring in at 8.5"! Praise Jah. Now for the 8.75"?

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #2536 on: October 05, 2020, 09:32:01 PM »
soon as those come out they're going on my board for sure.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2537 on: October 05, 2020, 09:58:28 PM »
The new Aces are supposed to have hollow kingpins right? Those ones from Brad's IG look like standard kingpins.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #2538 on: October 12, 2020, 11:23:38 PM »
Hey all. I'm planning on going down in board size (8.25 to 8.0) and am currently running 44s. I'm planning on getting 33s in the future but my 44s still have a lot of life left in them. Would they fit ok on a 8? I'm ok with the axels peeking out a tiny bit.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #2539 on: October 13, 2020, 04:56:12 AM »
Hey all. I'm planning on going down in board size (8.25 to 8.0) and am currently running 44s. I'm planning on getting 33s in the future but my 44s still have a lot of life left in them. Would they fit ok on a 8? I'm ok with the axels peeking out a tiny bit.
bobby worrest used to skate 149s with an 8.18
44s with an 8 would be about the same

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2540 on: October 13, 2020, 06:28:14 AM »

I was running an AH 8.06 with 44s a while back and it was great. Since the ends of the hanger taper, you can just put both washers on the outside and it'll push the wheels in to make them more flush.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2541 on: October 13, 2020, 11:05:09 AM »
Hey I am looking for some 55s in colors. Any of them will do, but prefer Bronze or Blue. If anyone knows of an online shop that has some, HMU.
ok thanks

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #2542 on: October 13, 2020, 01:34:28 PM »
Ha I just did the opposite and put 33's on a 8.25 today. I have wanted to try Aces for a while now so I hope it works out.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #2543 on: October 13, 2020, 05:53:29 PM »
The new Aces are supposed to have hollow kingpins right? Those ones from Brad's IG look like standard kingpins.

Indeed. But the ones on his IG have the new logo on the baseplate, so maybe they dropped the hollow pin on the remodel?

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2544 on: October 13, 2020, 07:35:59 PM »
Spring 2021 like not until April/may?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2545 on: October 13, 2020, 07:52:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Ha I just did the opposite and put 33's on a 8.25 today. I have wanted to try Aces for a while now so I hope it works out.

33’s are the shiiiiiiiiit. I really liked 33s and 8.25, when I was skating larger setups.

nevrwasben

« Reply #2546 on: October 13, 2020, 09:44:02 PM »
Hey I am looking for some 55s in colors. Any of them will do, but prefer Bronze or Blue. If anyone knows of an online shop that has some, HMU.
http://www.35thave.com/shop/Skate/Trucks/Ace/p/Ace-55-9-axleTrucks-Classic-Shelby-Blue-set-of-2-x49700630.htm

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #2547 on: October 14, 2020, 02:32:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

33’s are the shiiiiiiiiit. I really liked 33s and 8.25, when I was skating larger setups.
That good to hear!

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2548 on: October 14, 2020, 09:57:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
bobby worrest used to skate 149s with an 8.18
44s with an 8 would be about the same

sick thanks!

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2549 on: October 14, 2020, 09:58:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was running an AH 8.06 with 44s a while back and it was great. Since the ends of the hanger taper, you can just put both washers on the outside and it'll push the wheels in to make them more flush.

thanks for the pic! looks manageable to me!