Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747294 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #4800 on: October 20, 2021, 06:55:51 PM »
ya'll the same fools who are going to be complaining about lurpivs in the future..just give it time..

We'll have to see how their QC is...compared to ACE, I am not sure how much worse you could do...ACE has had weak QC since the brand launched...

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4801 on: October 20, 2021, 07:49:26 PM »
is there anyone who actually skates better on aces than other brands? feel like thats a common theme
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4802 on: October 20, 2021, 09:02:19 PM »
I'm a nobody but I think I do.

Certainly my preferred truck of the last few years. I'm not one for brand loyalty but Ace have treated me really well. Still looking forward to an 8.75" axle Ace.

pops

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4803 on: October 20, 2021, 10:20:32 PM »
Is it preferred to use risers with Aces if you ride 55mm and bigger wheels, especially with softer wheels?

IpathCats

« Reply #4804 on: October 21, 2021, 06:08:09 AM »
Is it preferred to use risers with Aces if you ride 55mm and bigger wheels, especially with softer wheels?

Depends on your weight and looseness. Though one of the draws of Aces is their lower height. I run 56mm classics with no risers on Aces, but I cant get away with a wider wheel of the same size.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4805 on: October 21, 2021, 11:49:22 AM »

I'm riding 60mms with 1/8" risers and reasonably loose Aces, I do experience some wheel bite but never enough to be significantly slowed down or stopped by it. I'm riding 50s with low trucks on another setup and regularly experience wheel bite that slows down or stops me, so I would say 55s on Aces will work well. Especially since 1/8"=3.175mm, with 55s you'll have even more wheel clearance than I do, so unless you're on some Daewon level loose trucks I would imagine they'll skate great.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

con_hielo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #4806 on: October 21, 2021, 03:19:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Had the same problem, just switched back to indy
[close]

Damn, thinking about it too... How did it felt getting back on Indy? Was it much less responsive or clunky? I feel like my Aces are so quick and fun
( -_-) Thx!
[close]

I know you weren’t asking me, but I think people over dramatize on the turn topic. Aces turn amazingly, but I feel like indys are a really really close second. Like it’s not a change that would hinder your skating by any means. I remember when I went from Ace to Indy and I was like “damn, they turn really well too”. But I also remember  perfectly when I had some krux (for a brief moment) coming from Indy and I was like “fuck, I can’t skate those shits”.
I currently have indys 144’s on my regular board and ACE AF1 77’s on my cruiser and I don’t feel that much of a difference. Both are fun, carvy and turn really well…

Hey no problem at all, thanks for throwing in! I'm juste scared that they will maybe feel less stable than Aces at the looseness I'm riding. Still, might try Indys back when I'll have grinded down my present ones  8)
Expand Quote
hi guys!

I know that a lot of yall curb enthusiasts love Ace and I really love them since i've started riding them for 2 years now. Sadly,  I keep blowing up my pivot cup and pivot hole in my front truck on my Ace 55 classic. Riptide, Independent, Ace, no matter what cups I put in they blow out after like 10 slappy crooks. It sucks cause I went through two brand new baseplates because the pivot cavity blow out (the metal on the side literally popped out). In my souvenirs, my Indys 159 were sturdier and didnt had this problem. Im riding my Aces with no bottom washer and a flat one on top, same with the Indys. Anyone had/have this problem? And was I just lucky with my last Indy pair and both are prone to Pivoty Destruction? Thx a lot
[close]

it sounds like the pivot point on your hangar isn't angled directly in line with the pivot cup, this could be happening because your bottom washer isn't sitting high enough off of the baseplate (because you aren't using a bottom washer). Try putting a bottom washer in and see if it changes anything.

I just can't ride trucks with the bottom washer, it feels to me like theres a stiffness in the turn that will never go away if I leave them on. Thanks still, pretty sure this is the main factor leading to my pivot hole going destructo mode. I'm going the live my metal abrasive Ace life to the fullest and maybe do something about it when it gets out of hand ahah.

The main difference I noticed when switching back to Indy is that to have them as responsive as my Aces I had to sacrifice stability. The problem with indys is that if you want them loose you end up with a lot of wobble.

It is a relief to be able to do slappies again without my pivot cup tearing and baseplate warping though. Indies also grind faster although they don’t have as buttery of a grind as ace.

Nice thank you very much for your feedback! Makes me want to give them a try back \( 0_0)/
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 03:28:24 PM by con_hielo »

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #4807 on: October 21, 2021, 05:02:02 PM »
I'm a nobody but I think I do.

Certainly my preferred truck of the last few years. I'm not one for brand loyalty but Ace have treated me really well. Still looking forward to an 8.75" axle Ace.

Im on this boat as well. I had a shit experience with thunders that didnt turn. The hanger was grinded down to shit after many a session and somehow the bushings never broke in. No matter how loose I had them they just did  not turn as good as my old thunder raws from years ago.

Gave Ace a try because of all the Dela footy that made it look like his trucks were actually responsive, and man did they over perform

I have a few setups, three with classics, one with AF1s and they all skate great. Hated the AF1 at first but theyve broken in well with no pivot cup issues. Im not much of a slappier though so it may be that

I dont think any truck will turn as good as Aces. I could be wrong but thats my experience so far

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #4808 on: October 22, 2021, 09:08:34 AM »

Spanky on Ace

opesorry

• Rep: 21
« Reply #4809 on: October 22, 2021, 11:04:04 AM »
Yeah I was pumped to see that as well. Finally bought some AF1's after being tempted to try them since they dropped and Spanky's always been a favorite so this is great.

europa1991

• Rep: 56
« Reply #4810 on: October 22, 2021, 03:08:14 PM »
Copped the AF1 in a 55 for my 8.375… couldn’t be happier. Even with them being extremely loose from the jump I got used to it and had the best session that I’ve had for awhile

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #4811 on: October 22, 2021, 05:00:34 PM »
finally received my 77s..

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #4812 on: October 22, 2021, 06:01:16 PM »
@pops
I’m running 56mm Conical Fulls on my classic 55s w/ no risers. I run ‘em “fairly” loose (backed of from factory stock by about 3/4 turn) & weigh in around 170 lbs.
Not much wheelbite to report, I’m pleased to inform you.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4813 on: October 23, 2021, 04:10:16 AM »
1/8 risers on my brand new AF1s w/ 58mm wheels, defs got wheelbite today!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

CrackWhore2000

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4814 on: October 23, 2021, 10:41:00 AM »

Same, stock bushings?  I just got the ace hards, put them on but haven’t skated it yet. Tried to put a set of bones hards on but won’t fit. Idk if this is just a af1 thing or what.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #4815 on: October 23, 2021, 11:08:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
@pops
I’m running 56mm Conical Fulls on my classic 55s w/ no risers. I run ‘em “fairly” loose (backed of from factory stock by about 3/4 turn) & weigh in around 170 lbs.

On 44s with 55 OG Classics and same, no wheelbite. Had some on one board that was especially full (8.5 AWS, I normally skate 8.3/8.25) but it still went away pretty quick. I think I could get away with a little bigger even

CrackWhore2000

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4816 on: October 23, 2021, 06:40:13 PM »
I'm riding 60mms with 1/8" risers and reasonably loose Aces, I do experience some wheel bite but never enough to be significantly slowed down or stopped by it.

Riding 60mm Ricta clouds on my 77s... no riser... I'm 170 lbs and even with the stock bushings cranked down it was still pretty loose, but no wheel bite.  I'm sure i could have forced it to if I really tried but wasn't a problem at all.  Moved on to hard bushings now.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #4817 on: October 23, 2021, 11:52:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same, stock bushings?  I just got the ace hards, put them on but haven’t skated it yet. Tried to put a set of bones hards on but won’t fit. Idk if this is just a af1 thing or what.

yup.stock bushings..will set it up with the curbkiller board..

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 768
« Reply #4818 on: October 25, 2021, 02:54:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
@pops
[close]

On 44s with 55 OG Classics and same, no wheelbite. Had some on one board that was especially full (8.5 AWS, I normally skate 8.3/8.25) but it still went away pretty quick. I think I could get away with a little bigger even

i also skate 44 classics, just got another pair today. i ride em loose (front truck is shakey, back truck is a little tighter) with 56mm (well now they are ~52s) classics and i get a little bit of wheelbite but nothing crazy. i use very thin rubber shock pads that add maybe 1mm to the height because the bolt holes in my last set of aces got a lot wider and i had to constantly put the trucks back in place so the board didn't turn by itself.

btw because of the colder weather i decided to put my old stock bushings on that new set of trucks because i hate breaking in trucks, works almost like a charm but i still have to break in the pivot cups, they're a lil squeaky rn.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

STAH

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4819 on: October 25, 2021, 03:53:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
@pops
[close]

[close]

i also skate 44 classics, just got another pair today. i ride em loose (front truck is shakey, back truck is a little tighter) with 56mm (well now they are ~52s) classics and i get a little bit of wheelbite but nothing crazy. i use very thin rubber shock pads that add maybe 1mm to the height because the bolt holes in my last set of aces got a lot wider and i had to constantly put the trucks back in place so the board didn't turn by itself.

btw because of the colder weather i decided to put my old stock bushings on that new set of trucks because I hate breaking in trucks, works almost like a charm but i still have to break in the pivot cups, they're a lil squeaky rn.

Oh man, I feel like I'm the only dude out here that actually likes squeaky trucks. I've always associate the squeaking with broken in trucks. Growing up as a little guy all I had was a toys-r-us board, and the trucks didn't squeak, didn't matter how broken in they were. Everyone I knew who had real skateboards had squeaky trucks. So I guess I've just conditioned my self to enjoy squeaky trucks.

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #4820 on: October 25, 2021, 07:14:31 AM »
Going to my local shop in a couple hours to get my first set of Aces. Very hyped.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 460
« Reply #4821 on: October 25, 2021, 07:19:10 AM »
The woodshop I work at just gifted me a set of Ace 44 Classic and an 8 inch deck. Am I an insane person to put the 8.38 Ace on an 8 inch deck? Has anyone tried it? I prefer 8.25 boards which would be great with the 44 but I want to ride the deck I was given so I can provide legitimate feedback.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4822 on: October 25, 2021, 07:20:28 AM »
The woodshop I work at just gifted me a set of Ace 44 Classic and an 8 inch deck. Am I an insane person to put the 8.38 Ace on an 8 inch deck? Has anyone tried it? I prefer 8.25 boards which would be great with the 44 but I want to ride the deck I was given so I can provide legitimate feedback.

Just do no washers inside and you'll be good. A couple summers ago I skated an 8.06" with 44s and no washers and it looked good. I'll find a pic if I can.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 768
« Reply #4823 on: October 25, 2021, 08:52:04 AM »

one of my friends skates 8-8.125 boards and he rocked them with 44 classics, didn't look like it bothered him.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4824 on: October 25, 2021, 09:47:25 AM »

Oh man, I feel like I'm the only dude out here that actually likes squeaky trucks. I've always associate the squeaking with broken in trucks. Growing up as a little guy all I had was a toys-r-us board, and the trucks didn't squeak, didn't matter how broken in they were. Everyone I knew who had real skateboards had squeaky trucks. So I guess I've just conditioned my self to enjoy squeaky trucks.

I'm with you. I do sometimes put a little bit of wax in the pivot cups of brand new trucks but that's just for break in purposes. I like my trucks to make noises.

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4825 on: October 25, 2021, 11:18:22 AM »
Big thanks to everybody who answered my question about the risers. I decided to go with 1/8 risers because of the wheel softness I chose. I'm scared those would just wheelbite easier without risers and I don’t want that to happen when riding higher speeds.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 460
« Reply #4826 on: October 26, 2021, 02:05:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just do no washers inside and you'll be good. A couple summers ago I skated an 8.06" with 44s and no washers and it looked good. I'll find a pic if I can.
Yo, I appreciate the response. Just measured it (didn’t quite look right) and this thing is a 7.88 so it’s no wonder the trucks looked insane. :)

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #4827 on: October 26, 2021, 04:50:22 AM »
tried searching but couldn't find, maybe it hasent been brought up but is Ace releasing a hollow version? Tim/bail gun gary (nine club) was blurring out his Aces for a bit on IG (he posted he had prototype ones at one point) but recently hasn't and it looks like he has a hollow kingpin in them...

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4828 on: October 26, 2021, 08:26:19 AM »
Social media chatter seems to suggest hollow versions are coming, as is an 8.75" axle, possibly in Spring. Be prepared for a long wait though.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #4829 on: October 26, 2021, 08:46:21 AM »
Social media chatter seems to suggest hollow versions are coming, as is an 8.75" axle, possibly in Spring. Be prepared for a long wait though.

The long wait is really key to a lot of this stuff. Lead times from Asia are insanely long now, with shipping containers backing up for months at ports all around the country. No one wants to tease, much less promise, a new product like that since they likely have no idea when it will even become available.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021