Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 745291 times)

lilboosie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 226
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #4830 on: October 26, 2021, 09:07:34 AM »
ok last pic. took this before i set it up on my board. this is where the idea came from. had some paint left over from a recent project where i pretty much did what i did on my trucks. so i said f it. im not into animal crossing as much as you might think. but its cute as fuck...to me

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #4831 on: October 26, 2021, 09:11:03 AM »
ok last pic. took this before i set it up on my board. this is where the idea came from. had some paint left over from a recent project where i pretty much did what i did on my trucks. so i said f it. im not into animal crossing as much as you might think. but its cute as fuck...to me

Apropos of nothing, but right went lockdown came to America, I decided to buy a Switch. I went into a store and was like "Sell me a Switch, please", and I took the only one (of two) which they had. It turned out to be the Animal Crossing Switch, which upset several of my friends who had been on waitlists and had preordered theirs, only not to get one. I mainly used it to play Zelda, haven't really touched it and probably won't until there's a sequel.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

IpathCats

« Reply #4832 on: October 26, 2021, 09:39:13 AM »
Finally put some more time on my AF1's, I like them more than the classics aside from the weight. Enjoying my time on these has re-ignited my madness... thanks a lot. Maybe Lurpivs are the missing link between ace/indy?  Though its probably more likely that im just some nutjob who will be thinking about his trucks too much until he dies.

lilboosie

« Reply #4833 on: October 26, 2021, 09:59:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Apropos of nothing, but right went lockdown came to America, I decided to buy a Switch. I went into a store and was like "Sell me a Switch, please", and I took the only one (of two) which they had. It turned out to be the Animal Crossing Switch, which upset several of my friends who had been on waitlists and had preordered theirs, only not to get one. I mainly used it to play Zelda, haven't really touched it and probably won't until there's a sequel.

LMAO yea it was wild for a second on the animal crossing switch. i had to make stuff to go with the AC switch and found one during the madness on a trip out of town. i would probably have been upset too lol

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4834 on: October 26, 2021, 03:55:06 PM »
Finally put some more time on my AF1's, I like them more than the classics aside from the weight. Enjoying my time on these has re-ignited my madness... thanks a lot. Maybe Lurpivs are the missing link between ace/indy?  Though its probably more likely that im just some nutjob who will be thinking about his trucks too much until he dies.

If Lurpiv weren't 55mm tall, I'd have nabbed set because my madness also thought they could be the middle ground ;)

lilboosie

« Reply #4835 on: October 27, 2021, 07:48:25 AM »
How tall are aces. I liked thunder but they were too low

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4836 on: October 27, 2021, 05:29:50 PM »
Spanky seems to be skating a hollow kingpin Ace, anyone seen these before ?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4837 on: October 27, 2021, 05:36:28 PM »
Spanky seems to be skating a hollow kingpin Ace, anyone seen these before ?

Been talked about a bunch of the past few pages. Someone here with insider knowledge says that they will debut them in the spring. I assume that, like everything else coming from China, they are stuck somewhere in a massive supply chain backlog.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4838 on: October 27, 2021, 09:37:18 PM »

They are all listed as 53mm on their site, both AF1 and Classics.

Just a couple of links with more info too - used the 55s in each more just for reference:

https://shop.acetrucks.com/collections/trucks/products/ace-trucks-55-polished

https://shop.acetrucks.com/collections/trucks/products/af1-polished-55

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4839 on: October 28, 2021, 12:06:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They are all listed as 53mm on their site, both AF1 and Classics.

Just a couple of links with more info too - used the 55s in each more just for reference:

https://shop.acetrucks.com/collections/trucks/products/ace-trucks-55-polished

https://shop.acetrucks.com/collections/trucks/products/af1-polished-55

Just as a note, they wheelbite a lot less than 55 mm tall Indys due to the different geometry.

iamarodent

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4840 on: October 28, 2021, 01:01:29 AM »
Anyone have any idea what bushings might help me reduce the wheelbite I'm getting?

Ace 77 AF1 (Stock bushings)
Spitfire FF 53mm
3/4" Risers
Blast Nasir deck (10"ish)

The only way I can get rid of the bite is by totally cranking down the trucks, can't say I remember having this problem with the classics, or at least not quite as bad.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4841 on: October 28, 2021, 01:27:58 AM »
Did you break in the bushings?
My classic 44s handle 56mm wheels perfectly without any wheelbite

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4842 on: October 28, 2021, 01:58:45 AM »
Anyone have any idea what bushings might help me reduce the wheelbite I'm getting?

Spitfire FF 53mm
3/4" Risers

The only way I can get rid of the bite is by totally cranking down the trucks, can't say I remember having this problem with the classics, or at least not quite as bad.

Wondering if others who have the widest trucks will voice their opinions, but I do recall it being said that the wider the trucks, the more likely they have wheelbite issues, AF1 77s being the widest trucks (besides Indy 215s) most people would have on regular setups.

How much concave does the board have you are riding them on is a question I would be asking too, eg wider boards are often more mellow overall otherwise feet would be hurting just standing on them, so for the same total width, the rail is a lot lower than something half the size.

Many old school types of boards have minimal concave too, which makes it even harder on those sort of trucks, as per a couple of 80s "no concave" boards that are virtually unrideable for me, as I cannot turn deep enough on any trucks I put on them.

Also just checking which risers you are using, either 1/8, 1/4 or even 1/2 but I don't think 3/4 would have any wheelbite at all, as well as being so high off the ground it would feel like a 4x4 dirt board.  Guessing you might mean 1/4 risers, which are fairly common and what I have on the boards with 60mm cruiser wheels and that is plenty high enough.

As far as the wheelbite goes too, is it only if you land on the board wrong, or is it as you turn and just push down a little too much on one side?

That might be too many questions already, but for the most part, allowing time for the bushings to break in has been noted for Ace trucks, as well as others getting the aftermarket harder bushings, which are available online as well as in some shops.  You could try any other harder bushings you have, or even some from old trucks if you still have them just to see, as the bottoms in Ace are only 86 duro which on average is very soft.  Even just use the old bottoms first and see.

For reference:

Ace Standard/Stock Bushings
Replacement bushings ideal for both AF1 & Classics

Top - 91a
Bottom - 86a

Ace Hard Bushings

Top - 94a
Bottom - 94a

https://shop.acetrucks.com/collections/accessories/products/ace-hard-bushings

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

iamarodent

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4843 on: October 28, 2021, 02:30:49 AM »
Expand Quote

Spitfire FF 53mm
3/4" Risers

[close]

Wondering if others who have the widest trucks will voice their opinions, but I do recall it being said that the wider the trucks, the more likely they have wheelbite issues, AF1 77s being the widest trucks (besides Indy 215s) most people would have on regular setups.

How much concave does the board have you are riding them on is a question I would be asking too, eg wider boards are often more mellow overall otherwise feet would be hurting just standing on them, so for the same total width, the rail is a lot lower than something half the size.

Many old school types of boards have minimal concave too, which makes it even harder on those sort of trucks, as per a couple of 80s "no concave" boards that are virtually unrideable for me, as I cannot turn deep enough on any trucks I put on them.

Also just checking which risers you are using, either 1/8, 1/4 or even 1/2 but I don't think 3/4 would have any wheelbite at all, as well as being so high off the ground it would feel like a 4x4 dirt board.  Guessing you might mean 1/4 risers, which are fairly common and what I have on the boards with 60mm cruiser wheels and that is plenty high enough.

As far as the wheelbite goes too, is it only if you land on the board wrong, or is it as you turn and just push down a little too much on one side?

That might be too many questions already, but for the most part, allowing time for the bushings to break in has been noted for Ace trucks, as well as others getting the aftermarket harder bushings, which are available online as well as in some shops.  You could try any other harder bushings you have, or even some from old trucks if you still have them just to see, as the bottoms in Ace are only 86 duro which on average is very soft.  Even just use the old bottoms first and see.

For reference:

Ace Standard/Stock Bushings

Top - 91a
Bottom - 86a

Ace Hard Bushings

Top - 94a
Bottom - 94a

https://shop.acetrucks.com/collections/accessories/products/ace-hard-bushings

I think you're spot on with this being a wide truck/board issue. The deck definitely is on the mellower side of concave.

And yeah sorry my bad, I meant 1/4" risers. I'm curious if a slightly angled riser would be an idea.

They're just under two months old now, skated 3-4x a week. They feel broken in but it feels almost like the bushings don't ramp up in resistance the farther I lean (sorry if that doesn't make sense).

I'd really love to figure out how to make these trucks work for me at this width. I've been an ace fan for years, admittedly not ridden them this wide before. Thanks for the recommendations though

Did you break in the bushings?
My classic 44s handle 56mm wheels perfectly without any wheelbite

Yup broken in. I had the same experience with my classic 44's. Never had wheelbite isses.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4844 on: October 28, 2021, 07:07:27 AM »
Wider trucks in theory are more prone to wheel bite. More leverage.

Also, I had a similar issues with AF1s being more prone to wheel bite. I just put it down to the very soft bushings. Finally put in some broken in Krux to replace the top bushings and it was fine.

logjammin

• Rep: 333
« Reply #4845 on: October 28, 2021, 02:47:48 PM »
Anyone ever skate those 03 lows? Maybe with an inverted kingpin and a riser they could be good. Kinda like how they keep the OG skinny look to them.

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 214
« Reply #4846 on: October 29, 2021, 01:56:11 AM »
My first proper skate of these trucks was awesome. Just cruising around on flat. Since I’m over 100kg’s and don’t ride super loose trucks I had to crank them a fair bit and the bushings popped out but it didn’t matter. Doesn’t affect anything.  I’ll just skate these till they’re cooked. Really loving them. I can see what all the fuss is about

opesorry

• Rep: 21
« Reply #4847 on: October 30, 2021, 11:02:11 AM »
Had my first session with my AF1s coming from Thunders, and let’s just say I was so concerned about wheelbase I did not consider the height difference. Spent the whole session basically just trying to get solid pop on literally anything.

I got them to set up with longer wheelbases but wanted to break them in before my next deck, so I set them up on the 14” WB I’m currently riding. Even being brand new I liked the way they felt when cruising around, and the times when I did get a good pop it was amazing. So I’m excited to get used to them, I feel like I’m gonna like them a lot.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4848 on: October 31, 2021, 07:45:45 AM »
I had a pair of well-skated Ace Classic 44s, which I enjoyed skating very much, but realized recently that the hangers and axles had bent inwards, some with ~3mm of deflection from stock (measured against some new Classic 44s I had). I contacted Ace with the information and photos, and their customer service was excellent - they quickly sent me a brand new pair of Ace AF1 44s, at my request.

The trucks look great and I'm excited to skate them. Is there anything I should look at here though, before I get started, since so many people seemed to have problems with the AF1? Examine the pivot cup or something?

Also, has anyone here put enough time of their AF1s to tell whether or not the hangers bend? The shape of the hanger - the only truck I can think of without a strong triangular truss - remains more or less unchanged, although the material is slightly beefed up. I suspect that this isn't enough to solve the problem, and that there will be significant deflection in the hanger itself, especially as the material wears away. Time will tell, but I am taking some base measurements so I can come back and see in a year.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #4849 on: October 31, 2021, 12:54:44 PM »

The trucks look great and I'm excited to skate them. Is there anything I should look at here though, before I get started, since so many people seemed to have problems with the AF1? Examine the pivot cup or something?

My pivots got shredded and I’m tempted to buy the replacement pivots from the Ace site. But… I’m sure any moment now RipTide will release the AF1.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

IpathCats

« Reply #4850 on: October 31, 2021, 04:10:23 PM »
I had a pair of well-skated Ace Classic 44s, which I enjoyed skating very much, but realized recently that the hangers and axles had bent inwards, some with ~3mm of deflection from stock (measured against some new Classic 44s I had). I contacted Ace with the information and photos, and their customer service was excellent - they quickly sent me a brand new pair of Ace AF1 44s, at my request.

Also, has anyone here put enough time of their AF1s to tell whether or not the hangers bend? The shape of the hanger - the only truck I can think of without a strong triangular truss - remains more or less unchanged, although the material is slightly beefed up. I suspect that this isn't enough to solve the problem, and that there will be significant deflection in the hanger itself, especially as the material wears away. Time will tell, but I am taking some base measurements so I can come back and see in a year.

Have only been on mine for about a month. Not bent yet. I bent classics in that time frame. Aside from them being slightly beefed up, they're also made out of a harder alloy this time, so that might help. Idk. But that's they the grind feels different.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4851 on: November 01, 2021, 08:20:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My pivots got shredded and I’m tempted to buy the replacement pivots from the Ace site. But… I’m sure any moment now RipTide will release the AF1.

Is there anything different about the replacement cups? Wouldn't it just be more of the same? Are they different from the Ace Classic cups? Because with those, you could just swap in the harder and more durable plastic Indy cup.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1955
« Reply #4852 on: November 01, 2021, 08:34:11 AM »
 After 10+ years of only skating Thunders, I took the plunge and picked up a pair of Ace Classic 44s. Pretty excited to see how they feel after work. I'm trying to stick with the stock bushings before I micromanage anything cuz I was on Bones Mediums for awhile.

IpathCats

« Reply #4853 on: November 01, 2021, 08:46:35 AM »
After 10+ years of only skating Thunders, I took the plunge and picked up a pair of Ace Classic 44s. Pretty excited to see how they feel after work. I'm trying to stick with the stock bushings before I micromanage anything cuz I was on Bones Mediums for awhile.

If you end up changing the bushings eventually, make sure you keep the same overall height as the stock bottom bushing and washer. Classics are prone to bending, and changing the geometry will speed that up.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1111
« Reply #4854 on: November 01, 2021, 09:05:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you end up changing the bushings eventually, make sure you keep the same overall height as the stock bottom bushing and washer. Classics are prone to bending, and changing the geometry will speed that up.

Just skated some 33s from the good poster formerly known as Frozen Industries. My fave looking truck.
Anyways, the longer you are able to refrain from adjusting your classics, the better. I agree with above that changing the bushings puts more stress on a truck that turns very very well, but doesn’t have the most robust longevity. I used to bend the stage 1s….and then I’d still skate them, and they worked fine.

IpathCats

« Reply #4855 on: November 01, 2021, 09:08:57 AM »

Just skated some 33s from the good poster formerly known as Frozen Industries. My fave looking truck.
Anyways, the longer you are able to refrain from adjusting your classics, the better. I agree with above that changing the bushings puts more stress on a truck that turns very very well, but doesn’t have the most robust longevity. I used to bend the stage 1s….and then I’d still skate them, and they worked fine.

The classics still skated fine after I bent them (I bent two pairs actually, one OG pair and one of the latest revisions) but the bent axels seemed to force my bearings to the outside of their seat, after every couple runs my wheels would get tight. Super annoying.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #4856 on: November 02, 2021, 04:34:40 PM »
Gifted Hater just dropped his Ace AF1 review. Go crazy

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #4857 on: November 02, 2021, 05:29:55 PM »
Nah, I'm saving all my crazy for when he drops the lurpiv unboxing video

thebacker

« Reply #4858 on: November 03, 2021, 06:33:05 AM »

i agree with him that aces make skating harder but it does feel good when you land tricks

IpathCats

« Reply #4859 on: November 03, 2021, 06:46:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i agree with him that aces make skating harder but it does feel good when you land tricks

Yea I agree with his assessment mostly. Wonder who he is on here? He's obviously on here, multiple SLAP references.