Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 739044 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5400 on: May 12, 2022, 10:14:32 AM »
I hit axle in 20 hours of skating on my AF1s. They grind just fine.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=48056.msg3564713;topicseen#msg3564713

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #5401 on: May 12, 2022, 10:28:29 AM »

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=48056.msg3564713;topicseen#msg3564713

thats wild. 99% of my wear is slappy too but i've had these for a year and i skate probably 12hrs a week...

mamba

• Rep: 134
  • Sucka free
« Reply #5402 on: May 12, 2022, 11:26:23 AM »
The grind is fine. it’s all a personal preference, and it depends on what you skate. but you’re kidding yourself if you think it’s the exact same as a classic… They are different metal compounds, you can tell just by the finish and feel on the trucks.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5403 on: May 12, 2022, 12:31:40 PM »
No one said the grind was the same.

mamba

• Rep: 134
  • Sucka free
« Reply #5404 on: May 12, 2022, 02:31:09 PM »

I’ve hit axle. 20 hours of skating. A lot of slappies. I don’t notice any difference in the grind with these and the classics. I grind pretty much only unpainted waxed curbs. Durability, I don’t know. I don’t think it’s better than the classics at least. Hard to say if it’s worse either. 🤔

My previous classics I had to retire when the hangers were so ground down that the kingpin nut was ground down so much it just fell off. Seems like that’s gonna happen even sooner with these. Not really sure how to remedy that. I would certainly like to grind all my trucks in half before retiring them.

this post says "I don't notice any diffrence in the grind" which I was referring to

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #5405 on: May 12, 2022, 11:19:35 PM »
I feel like Ace doesn't meet the hype after some of these comments. Is it mostly just the turn? When I started reading somethings about the grind, I almost feel like Indys are a safer buy. I say this as a poor. haha. So take this all with a grain of salt guys. I'm purely curious, I don't mean to come in talking shit. I know I'm saying some slanderous shit.

For some perspective, I've gone from magic carpeting 8.6 boards with venture 5.6's to riding 151s on 8.6-8.75 to recently a huffer (9.1ish)
The chillest1

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5406 on: May 13, 2022, 01:28:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

thats wild. 99% of my wear is slappy too but i've had these for a year and i skate probably 12hrs a week...

Yeah. I did break in rough ass curbs to achieve that. It was quick but I don’t think any other truck would have fared better.

Expand Quote

I’ve hit axle. 20 hours of skating. A lot of slappies. I don’t notice any difference in the grind with these and the classics. I grind pretty much only unpainted waxed curbs. Durability, I don’t know. I don’t think it’s better than the classics at least. Hard to say if it’s worse either. &#129300;

My previous classics I had to retire when the hangers were so ground down that the kingpin nut was ground down so much it just fell off. Seems like that’s gonna happen even sooner with these. Not really sure how to remedy that. I would certainly like to grind all my trucks in half before retiring them.
[close]

this post says "I don't notice any diffrence in the grind" which I was referring to

Yeah, I skated mostly unpainted curbs with them back then but after this I haven’t noticed a difference on other stuff either but I’m not that super in control of my skating to really notice small differences like that all so well. It feels like some days the same stuff grinds with the same trucks completely differently. Some days you’re gliding along and sometimes you’re sticking like mad.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5407 on: May 13, 2022, 02:00:50 AM »
I feel like Ace doesn't meet the hype after some of these comments. Is it mostly just the turn? When I started reading somethings about the grind, I almost feel like Indys are a safer buy. I say this as a poor. haha. So take this all with a grain of salt guys. I'm purely curious, I don't mean to come in talking shit. I know I'm saying some slanderous shit.

For some perspective, I've gone from magic carpeting 8.6 boards with venture 5.6's to riding 151s on 8.6-8.75 to recently a huffer (9.1ish)
ace being popular on slap makes perfect sense
dont overthink it
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

IpathCats

« Reply #5408 on: May 13, 2022, 06:25:44 AM »

Indys definitely have more material to grind down, making them last longer. The classics use a softer alloy too so they grind down a bit quicker. AF1 hangers last a bit longer than classics. If you're worried about longevity and usability in more situations, i would go indy. If you just wanna carve and have fun, go ace. If youre not 100% about that ACE experience, it can be cumbersome sometimes. But they are very fun, I keep them on my cruisers, but I had to take them off my regular setup to skate more consistently.

somefucker

« Reply #5409 on: May 13, 2022, 06:45:10 AM »
riding my first set of aces after only riding indys for ~10 yrs

i notice they turn better and grind smoother on concrete

they also wear down really fast, i have the af1 55s

popped the top washer off and have a nice dent from 5-0s and feebles/smiths

i'd probably buy them again

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #5410 on: May 13, 2022, 07:34:08 AM »

If you need one truck to do it all, Indy is the way to go. I recently got my first pair of Ace AF1s and they are a ton of fun and the turn does feel great, but it isn’t SO much better than Indy and for me the grind on Indy is better. Other posters say Indy is much more durable as well.

I haven’t ridden the classics and those are supposed to have the best grind so I’m curious to try them at some point. But I plan to keep my aces on my cruiser board and stick with Indy for my main board.

IpathCats

« Reply #5411 on: May 13, 2022, 07:58:25 AM »

I haven’t ridden the classics and those are supposed to have the best grind so I’m curious to try them at some point. But I plan to keep my aces on my cruiser board and stick with Indy for my main board.

"best" is subjective. personally I'm not a fan. the softer metal makes you loose more speed while grinding, however it also does make you feel like youre grabbing w/e youre grinding on a bit more, so i did feel like i had some more control of my grinds on coping. I prefer a faster grind, i dont need anything slowing me down, i have a hard enough time going fast enough to look good on a skateboard as is haha.

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #5412 on: May 13, 2022, 08:45:31 AM »
Just wanna say that they definitely changed the alloy slightly with the newest AF1's because they are like gliding on ice. I didn't like them when they came out, but they're a totally different grind now. Better than classics and just as good as Indy. You can tell if they're newer if they look shinier and more polished and the bushings are very bright white compared to the off-white yellow ones that were on the earlier ones.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #5413 on: May 13, 2022, 08:56:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

"best" is subjective. personally I'm not a fan. the softer metal makes you loose more speed while grinding, however it also does make you feel like youre grabbing w/e youre grinding on a bit more, so i did feel like i had some more control of my grinds on coping. I prefer a faster grind, i dont need anything slowing me down, i have a hard enough time going fast enough to look good on a skateboard as is haha.

That makes a lot of sense and haven't seen anyone put it like that. Just that the grind is super "buttery".

I definitely seem to be in the minority but the AF1s just don't grind very well for me. However, I may just still be getting through that break in period and they'll really open up after a couple more sessions.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5414 on: May 13, 2022, 09:18:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah. I did break in rough ass curbs to achieve that. It was quick but I don’t think any other truck would have fared better.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I’ve hit axle. 20 hours of skating. A lot of slappies. I don’t notice any difference in the grind with these and the classics. I grind pretty much only unpainted waxed curbs. Durability, I don’t know. I don’t think it’s better than the classics at least. Hard to say if it’s worse either. &#129300;

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I skated mostly unpainted curbs with them back then but after this I haven’t noticed a difference on other stuff either but I’m not that super in control of my skating to really notice small differences like that all so well. It feels like some days the same stuff grinds with the same trucks completely differently. Some days you’re gliding along and sometimes you’re sticking like mad.
It's wild to see trucks that worked without a crook groove or nose/tail slide marks on the baseplate. Time to diversify my friend!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #5415 on: May 13, 2022, 11:09:49 AM »
I think we should celebrate never sliders….

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #5416 on: May 13, 2022, 11:50:55 AM »
are af1s as good in the cold weather as classics? I remember the classics didn't really freeze up in the winter as bad as indys and thunders do. might try the af1s since I haven't been hearing about those pivot cups blowing out in a while.

somefucker

« Reply #5417 on: May 13, 2022, 11:53:25 AM »
are af1s as good in the cold weather as classics? I remember the classics didn't really freeze up in the winter as bad as indys and thunders do. might try the af1s since I haven't been hearing about those pivot cups blowing out in a while.

the bushings still freeze up like other trucks

still grind smooth tho

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #5418 on: May 13, 2022, 12:40:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

That makes a lot of sense and haven't seen anyone put it like that. Just that the grind is super "buttery".

I definitely seem to be in the minority but the AF1s just don't grind very well for me. However, I may just still be getting through that break in period and they'll really open up after a couple more sessions.

I prefer the grind on the classics, AF1s felt sticky to me. Indys grind better than both versions of Ace. I’m currently riding Indys with Ace bushings, so I get the Indy grind with a turn that’s comparable to Ace. It’s still not as stable on center or snappy as Ace, but still feels pretty good. I recommend this to anyone who goes back and forth between Indy and Ace.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #5419 on: May 13, 2022, 03:23:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

still grind smooth tho

I disagree, the Ace bushings are essentially weather proof. I had no issues with them this winter.

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5420 on: May 13, 2022, 04:30:20 PM »
These hard bushings are the only ones I've ever had that I don't need to break in.

Ive had some great sessions on these, learning flip tricks even.

pops

• Rep: 220
« Reply #5421 on: May 13, 2022, 10:51:01 PM »
I've been enjoying a set of classics lately. Mostly slappies, mini ramp and cruising so they fit for my taste of skating atm. I dont know what clicked in my head but I was all into Af1s since they came out. I guess never put enough effort to break in the classics but I really love them now.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5422 on: May 14, 2022, 12:54:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
It's wild to see trucks that worked without a crook groove or nose/tail slide marks on the baseplate. Time to diversify my friend!

You are right. I did pretty much only frontside and backside slappies, boardslides and flat ground & jumping up and down curbs back then. I used skateboarding as therapy. Bashing out the frustrations of daily work life being on secondment, working long days in a city where I knew no one and knew I wouldn’t stay. I just did my go tos and that’s it pretty much. Did try to work on my nose slides and crooks on occasion but this is the back truck so no signs of those here.

Anyway, I want diversify my bag of tricks and hopefully gain some more go tos when my back is healed enough to skate again. So maybe the next photo of my setup will have more diverse grooves and scratches.  :)

Also to the discussion about the weather resistance of Ace bushings I’d like to say that I find both Classics and AF1s to be 100% weather resistant which is great living in Finland where the temperatures vary from -30°C to +30°C.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5423 on: May 14, 2022, 07:32:58 AM »
So y'all are saying Ace are more stable on center?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #5424 on: May 14, 2022, 08:05:10 AM »

For me, definitely.

I’m not a great skater, and I have an extra hard time kick flipping on my Indy’s when they are loose enough to be carvy, it feels like I’m balancing on the kingpins.

On Aces I can ride them a touch tighter, but still get a better carve and less of a tippy feel. No problem kickflipping.

Well, no more than normal
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5425 on: May 14, 2022, 08:54:53 AM »
I agree. Even bombing hills with loose Ace felt more secure than similarly tight Indy's. Ace really nailed the geometry.

somefucker

« Reply #5426 on: May 16, 2022, 04:07:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

still grind smooth tho
[close]

I disagree, the Ace bushings are essentially weather proof. I had no issues with them this winter.

are you in the upper NE?

cold here hit different

IpathCats

« Reply #5427 on: May 16, 2022, 05:25:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

still grind smooth tho
[close]

[close]

are you in the upper NE?

cold here hit different

Moisture in the air exaggerates the feeling on both extremes for sure. I've lived in MD and UT, freezing in MD feels like 20 in UT, and 90 in MD feels like 100+ in UT

Any Chronic Madness patients have the scientific ability and tools to do a study on how temperature/humidity affects different bushings? that would be great.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #5428 on: May 16, 2022, 10:06:59 AM »

I've not ridden Ace yet (other than briefly on friends" set ups), but based on what I know about their geometry and what I've experienced, I'm gonna call that bogus. They're definitely not as stable on center as Indy or Venture.
Super Champion Fun Zone

IpathCats

« Reply #5429 on: May 16, 2022, 10:18:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've not ridden Ace yet (other than briefly on friends" set ups), but based on what I know about their geometry and what I've experienced, I'm gonna call that bogus. They're definitely not as stable on center as Indy or Venture.

Very different situations here. Are aces more stable than ventures? def not. Are they more stable than indys? I think you could make that argument. Really boils down to how tight youre skating each truck, and your bushing setup. Indy vs Ace on stock tightness and bushings, I'd say ace are more stable on center. If you skate your trucks fairly loose, id say ace are more stable. If you like your trucks tighter, I think thats where indys might eventually be more stable. Idk if its due to the geometry or what, but i feel like tightening an indy a few turns makes a WAY bigger difference than tightening an Ace a few turns. You can get indys to the point of being damn near solid, but an Ace cranked down just as far will still turn.