Author Topic: Are religious pros lame?  (Read 33307 times)

McGooch

Re: Are religious pros lame?
« Reply #150 on: July 11, 2014, 10:39:29 PM »
remember this gem?

"Jesus didn't come to give us all these do's and dont's, but he really wanted to introduce us to daddy." Then proceeds to preach about abortion, a 'jesus don't.'

Seeing this makes me happy he left skateboarding, and a side note he has a god awful switch mongo push, which is probably a 'jesus do.'

dougDfresh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -25
  • "...we are the dreamers of the dream."
« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2014, 11:41:25 PM »
remember this gem?

Never seen that but I do remember this one:

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #152 on: July 12, 2014, 03:28:17 AM »

I never said 'atheism is as dangerous as religion'. I said that nihilism, which is encouraged by the brand of atheism put forward by mechanistic materialist scientists, is much more dangerous. I'm at work right now and can type up a decent reply that elaborates on this point and other ones but if you are just going to misrepresent what I wrote and claim that my position derives from an ignorance of maths and science, I won't bother. If you'd like to read what I have to share however I will happily oblige, just ask!

Sure, start off by pointing to some notable materialists which encourage nihilism, because the "new" atheists, Dawkins, Hitchens, Dennett and Harris certainly don't. They are the ones arguing that morality is an intrinsic human quality not one derived from a 1st century book under penalty of eternal damnation. And for those arguing religion isn't the reason behind wars etc what do they say about good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

jonnysheen

• Rep: -66
« Reply #153 on: July 12, 2014, 06:10:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
religious pros are mad lame but 'lame' is better than 6 ft under,  you'll notice the christian fundamentalist skate comunity isnt much for od'ing  or going to jail and shit  so cheers to them.
[close]
You mean like Gator? He was religious as fuck and raped and murdered a girl for reminding him of his ex-girlfriend and is still in jail...maybe you've heard the story.
Or maybe like Lennie Kirk, who stuck up cabbies with sawed off shot guns because according to Josh Kalis, he thought God gave him permission. He never got in any trouble either.

Shitheads exist in religious and non-religious communities alike. Religious shitheads just somehow think God is blessing them in their actions (as Gator and Lennie did)

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
A human trying to figure out how we got here with math is like a rat trying to figure out why it's in a cage using nothing but its own poop. �Even if someone did claim to figure it out, you'd just be taking them at their word. �You wouldn't understand it. �There are no genius mathematicians on the SLAP forum. �You essentially might as well be snake handling. �Most people side with atheism because they want to seem intelligent and independent from anything. �Or as Neal Stephenson put it;
Expand Quote
Ninety-nine percent of everything that goes on in most Christian churches has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual religion. Intelligent people all notice this sooner or later, and they conclude that the entire one hundred percent is bullshit, which is why atheism is connected with being intelligent in people's minds.
[close]
It's hip now. �That's cool. �In crowd. �I get it. �Doesn't make it any more right than asking a Magic 8-Ball. �Those were in for a while too though, so whatever you're into.
[close]
I respectfully disagree. The consideration that you created this comment based on a mathematical algorithm we humans developed en masse, without divinity, that many of us on the SLAP message board couldn't decode, yet it still functions for the most part perfectly, I fail to see the trendiness of athiesm based on mathematical ignorance. The dominant world view is still monotheism that strongly resembles Christianity, but nice try at martyrdom. I hear that was cool a couple thousand years ago. I wasn't raised in the church so there is no rebellion aspect for me. I think we all deserve better. I refuse to believe that humans are inherently flawed. I feel no superiority based on what I don't believe.
[close]

His point stands. Mathematics is a human abstraction; we created it. if we emerged from the universe how can the universe be based on something that emerged from us? the existence of online forums based on mathematical algorithms doesn't answer that question. What annoys me about a lot of atheists (and I would consider myself one) is that they are often astoundingly ignorant of the history and philosophy of science, and adhere to the Newtonian view of the universe with an almost 'blind faith'. They'll read some shit from some hack like Dawkins or Dennett and accept the nihilism implied in their conclusions, which is a much more dangerous belief than much of the deity worship that they so blissfully condemn.

but yeah christian skaters are annoying for the most part.
[close]
For the last fucking time ITS NOT BLIND FAITH. It has been repeatedly tested and our modern life is based around the idea that these aren't just random human ideas, but the actual way the universe works. The idea that "the universe is based on something that emerged from us" simply shows a terrible and weak grasp of how math works. I didn't decide in my head that if Johnny has two apples and gets two more apples he will then have four apples, I've observed it repeatedly, its how things work, so therefore, I can comfortably say 2+2=4- I didn't make that up and have faith in its truth, I observed it. Modern inventions such as computers and the internet have also made it clear that mathematical ideas aren't just hypotheses, but actual working concepts upon which we can base most of our modern lifestyle. There's no "magic 8 ball" about it.
 Math is an abstraction of the observable, not some crazy language we invented that has no concrete meaning or value.  The fields of math and science are fields of discovery, not invention. To say that because math exists that god must is a huge leap in logic that is not necessarily true. If a god exists, it certainly must have created these laws, but because the laws exist does not mean god must.

And give it a rest with the idea that atheism is as dangerous as religion- look at Iraq, Syria, Israel, Gaza, Christian created laws in Uganda that give the death penalty to gays. NOTHING on Earth comes even close to the sort of misery, separation,  pain, and death that religion unleashes. Sure it does some good, but Al Capone set up a ton of soup kitchens too.
[close]

I never said 'atheism is as dangerous as religion'. I said that nihilism, which is encouraged by the brand of atheism put forward by mechanistic materialist scientists, is much more dangerous. I'm at work right now and can type up a decent reply that elaborates on this point and other ones but if you are just going to misrepresent what I wrote and claim that my position derives from an ignorance of maths and science, I won't bother. If you'd like to read what I have to share however I will happily oblige, just ask!

I think you have point there. If religion disappears tomorrow the gap it leaves could possibly lead to extreme individualism.  But with democracy it's not as likely now as  100 years ago.  Maybe the world isn't ready for it yet

esoesloco

• Rep: -5
« Reply #154 on: July 13, 2014, 09:23:16 AM »
 :o  interesting thread... its fascinating all the anger, projections, assumptions, stereotyping, and straight up hate this brought out in certain people.  Many pots calling kettles the n-bomb (Reagan sure blew off some steam)

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #155 on: July 13, 2014, 01:32:08 PM »
So much hilarious backpeddling... "I was being sarcastic (when I actually formed an argument and attempted to cite ideas)."
And beer keg, jesus christ that was a sad attempt to change the subject. Really, just commenting on my last aside?
My work is done here. You can always tell when it is, because the conversation devolves from the topic into "fuck Gipper!" as soon as I've won the ACTUAL debate. Its funny seeing you guys vent the frustration of being sure you are right, but simply not being able to win the argument and getting mad at me over it.
Y'all talking shit to me are whiny and stupid jealous motherfuckers.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 753
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #156 on: July 13, 2014, 08:49:59 PM »
Quit taking all the credit, Gip.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Lion of Judah

• Rep: -3
« Reply #157 on: July 13, 2014, 09:03:02 PM »
Rastafari colors and images are used heavily in the marketing side of the skateboarding industry and that hasn't really been discussed in this thread. I feel like most of the kids/people who somewhat subscribe to the image ( red, gold ,and green etc.. ) don't truly know what they are representing and associate it with weed or generic reggae music. On that tip. No one has mentioned anything about any Rasta pros/ skaters.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #158 on: July 13, 2014, 09:12:39 PM »
Nobody gives a fuck about rasta for the same reason no one gives a fuck buddhism, they don't impose themselves on anyone.

Lion of Judah

« Reply #159 on: July 13, 2014, 09:20:06 PM »
That's kinda the strange part. I feel like if it were christian images being used it might be looked at as imposing, but since kids aren't really so in the know about what they are indirectly supporting it gets a pass. I support the use of the imagery, but think most kids who support it are ignorant to the things associated with the imagery.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #160 on: July 13, 2014, 09:59:42 PM »
Quit taking all the credit, Gip.
credit to you as well

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #161 on: July 14, 2014, 03:30:18 AM »
Nobody gives a fuck about rasta for the same reason no one gives a fuck buddhism, they don't impose themselves on anyone.

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #162 on: July 14, 2014, 06:48:56 AM »
I'm sorry if it seems the rastas were getting a pass, I'll redress that right now. Fuck Rastafarians, reggae and weed is fine, homophobes and misogynists, not so much.

SHARPSHOOTER

« Reply #163 on: July 14, 2014, 09:00:42 AM »
I'm sorry if it seems the rastas were getting a pass, I'll redress that right now. Fuck Rastafarians, reggae and weed is fine, homophobes and misogynists, not so much.
excuse me? The greatest nation in the world, America, is built on misogyny. It's one of the very foundations of its culture and people.

Lion of Judah

« Reply #164 on: July 14, 2014, 11:29:23 AM »
Not partaking in certain things/ practices, doesn't necessarily mean you judge others for doing so. There can be bad stigma attached to pretty much anything. I would say a good amount of skaters participate in homophobic or female disrespecting behavior, Rasta just like skating is universal. Its just strange that a belief system is so commercialized . But i guess religion has as much to do with skating as energy drinks.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #165 on: July 14, 2014, 12:09:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

please, as stupid as passing your religion to your kids is, its nowhere near the crime of proselytization. That's almost entirely Christianity and its sects.

But yeah, the Rasta shit in skate graphics/culture is lame, but I think its lame for a different reason. Those companies aren't actually pushing the religion of Rastafari, they are culturally appropriating its imagery and symbolism for profit, which is probably worse.

Lion of Judah

« Reply #166 on: July 14, 2014, 12:25:44 PM »
Gipper pretty much said what I was trying to say. But in a more eloquent manner.

Lion of Judah

« Reply #167 on: July 14, 2014, 12:32:39 PM »
While some companies were trying to project images they were genuinely trying to promote or messages they were genuinely trying to convey, the majority of them were just trying to commercialize off a lifestyle they had zero or very little to do with.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #168 on: July 14, 2014, 12:43:12 PM »
yeah, they don't know what any of that shit means, nor do they care. But a lion of judah board on a red,gold, and green background could sell to the kids who like reggae and weed.

Lion of Judah

« Reply #169 on: July 14, 2014, 12:49:46 PM »
Pretty much every major board company/ distro is guilty of this.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #170 on: July 14, 2014, 03:26:05 PM »
Sweet! Let's make internet history and end a thread about religion with a consensus- regardless of the validity of religious beliefs in general, the appropriation of rastafari imagery in skateboarding is pretty lame.

Lion of Judah

« Reply #171 on: July 14, 2014, 03:50:02 PM »
Don't know if I'd go that far. Rastafari has always had it's valid place in skate culture. It's the bastardization of this place in skate culture that is used to sell products. So I guess my official answer is: Illegitimate use of religious imagery in skateboarding is lame.

McGooch

« Reply #172 on: July 14, 2014, 06:41:38 PM »

I remember in an interview Hershel (Girl graphic designer in case you don't know) said weed/rasta graphics aren't creative or fun to make but they sell like hot cakes. Makes sense that every company is trying to get a piece of that pie. I wonder how a company, that was solely about weed, would do?

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #173 on: July 14, 2014, 07:03:52 PM »
Like my status if you think Creation and Satori are just a bunch of posers.

Lion of Judah

« Reply #174 on: July 14, 2014, 08:07:27 PM »

rasta skater thread!

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #175 on: July 15, 2014, 07:16:11 AM »
I think you lose all credibility when you only villainize Christians.  Where do you idiots come up with this shit?  Muslims don't actively try to convert people to Islam?  There are no such things as violent Buddhists?  What the fuck are you guys reading?  You two are such biased, petty people.

cuntzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -63
« Reply #176 on: July 15, 2014, 07:37:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I remember in an interview Hershel (Girl graphic designer in case you don't know) said weed/rasta graphics aren't creative or fun to make but they sell like hot cakes. Makes sense that every company is trying to get a piece of that pie. I wonder how a company, that was solely about weed, would do?
Lets be honest, unless you skate, Huf is nothing but weed socks.
I don't rollerblade, I play ROLLER HOCKEY! I've been kicking haters like you to the curb forever

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #177 on: July 15, 2014, 08:47:16 AM »
jeez! ronald wilson i said "religious skate community" not got dam lennie kirk and gator! (lol) but point taken , religion bad, got it
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:48:49 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

J.R.

• Rep: -38
« Reply #178 on: July 15, 2014, 09:54:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
please, as stupid as passing your religion to your kids is, its nowhere near the crime of proselytization. That's almost entirely Christianity and its sects. LIKE JUDIASM

But yeah, the Rasta shit in skate graphics/culture is lame, but I think its lame for a different reason. Those companies aren't actually pushing the religion of Rastafari, they are culturally appropriating its imagery and symbolism for profit, which is probably worse.

stop talking shit on christianity and then bitch the fuck out when anyone even slightly mentions jews in a negative light. i think everyone should just block the gipper with his over 20k posts of bull shit

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #179 on: July 15, 2014, 09:56:31 AM »
I think you lose all credibility when you only villainize Christians.� Where do you idiots come up with this shit?� Muslims don't actively try to convert people to Islam?� There are no such things as violent Buddhists?� What the fuck are you guys reading?� You two are such biased, petty people.
What the fuck are you talking about? We talk about Christianity because they're the ones in power where we're from and they are the ones that effect us on a daily basis. How is that hard for you to understand? Being angry that people legislate and move the masses to act and vote based on fairy tales is in no way petty or biased. It is observation of real phenomena that we should rightfully be screaming in protest against. That is besides the fact that I did talk about Islam being bad too. I know I'd rather live here than the theocracy of Saudiranistan. I don't know if you know this but, Sharia Law is bad. As for Buddhists, the core of Buddhism is pacifism. There are belligerent people of all faiths or lack thereof, but Violent Buddhists is an oxymoron. You will find a lot less violence in the much longer history of Buddhism than you find in any of the Abrahamic religions. If you think anything Gip has said in this thread makes him lose credibility with you, you have lost credibility with me.