Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778056 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3600 on: February 08, 2021, 01:41:57 AM »
Anybody know where I can score them oj boserio 60 mm wheels 97a or the 95 a oj combos in 60 mm

I just saw the Instagram OJs post, so they have new ones coming out too, (see second pic) so there should be some all over the place soon enough.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK9bA78hq2x/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #3601 on: February 08, 2021, 01:48:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
are dial tones good? ive been skating 99a f4s (usually 54mm conical fulls, had one pair of 58mm classics) exclusively for the last 5 or 6 years with one set of bones 100s in between, i skated them for like a month because i got them for free and i didnt have any money to spend on wheels, they were kinda ok but as soon as i switched back to f4s i was over them and im never going to buy them again. i wanted to get some loopholes but i would have to order them from the uk (i live in poland) and the shipping is like half the price of the wheels which are already kinda expensive. recently one of the distributions here in poland started carrying dial tones and they look sick so ive been wanting to try them out, the jahmal 99a conicals, especially because my shop sponsor gets their shit from that distro so i could buy them for 30% off. the only problem is that that same distribution also carries spitfire and they would cost exactly the same. are the dial tones worth it or should i stick to f4s? how do they compare? ive been also wanting to try out the new 97 classics and i cant make up my mind.
[close]

For price comparison, Spitfire are the number one wheel for a reason, so if other wheels are the same price and Spitfire are in stock, I wouldn't be thinking twice about anything else, but that is just me.

For any one else, I think a few pages back I asked about them (instagram pic from Uprise) and people said they were good.  Seems "good" is not "great" though, so again it comes back to supply - if you can get whatever you want, it is your choice, but I think you might be a little less happy with any other wheel besides Spitfire.

If you go to the top of this thread and type "dial" first and have a look, then "dialtone" in the search, lots of other people have commented on them.
[close]

I remember seeing a post from Mike Del Negro on insta possibly and seeing the most flatspotted wheels of my life. Will have to do some lurking and see if I can find it. Also I dm'ed Dial Tone before and whoever I talked with was one of the most unhelpful people on earth and couldn't answer basic questions about shape or duro. Literally could only say they were "good" and "what the real nor east pros use..." I just stick with tried and true SF classics and bigheads.

Man gotta see screen shots of that convo

I love bad customer service. There is nothing funnier.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #3602 on: February 08, 2021, 12:06:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
are dial tones good? ive been skating 99a f4s (usually 54mm conical fulls, had one pair of 58mm classics) exclusively for the last 5 or 6 years with one set of bones 100s in between, i skated them for like a month because i got them for free and i didnt have any money to spend on wheels, they were kinda ok but as soon as i switched back to f4s i was over them and im never going to buy them again. i wanted to get some loopholes but i would have to order them from the uk (i live in poland) and the shipping is like half the price of the wheels which are already kinda expensive. recently one of the distributions here in poland started carrying dial tones and they look sick so ive been wanting to try them out, the jahmal 99a conicals, especially because my shop sponsor gets their shit from that distro so i could buy them for 30% off. the only problem is that that same distribution also carries spitfire and they would cost exactly the same. are the dial tones worth it or should i stick to f4s? how do they compare? ive been also wanting to try out the new 97 classics and i cant make up my mind.
[close]

For price comparison, Spitfire are the number one wheel for a reason, so if other wheels are the same price and Spitfire are in stock, I wouldn't be thinking twice about anything else, but that is just me.

For any one else, I think a few pages back I asked about them (instagram pic from Uprise) and people said they were good.  Seems "good" is not "great" though, so again it comes back to supply - if you can get whatever you want, it is your choice, but I think you might be a little less happy with any other wheel besides Spitfire.

If you go to the top of this thread and type "dial" first and have a look, then "dialtone" in the search, lots of other people have commented on them.
[close]

I remember seeing a post from Mike Del Negro on insta possibly and seeing the most flatspotted wheels of my life. Will have to do some lurking and see if I can find it. Also I dm'ed Dial Tone before and whoever I talked with was one of the most unhelpful people on earth and couldn't answer basic questions about shape or duro. Literally could only say they were "good" and "what the real nor east pros use..." I just stick with tried and true SF classics and bigheads.
[close]

Man gotta see screen shots of that convo

I love bad customer service. There is nothing funnier.

I commented few pages back but I've been skating the Jordan Trahan Round Cut 99A 53mm wheels. I came off full conical Formula 4 Spitfires 53mm 99. I really like the dial tone wheels. They feel faster to me and I haven't had any flatspots yet. Don't get me wrong, the Formula 4s are great but I wanted to try something new and I haven't been disappointed.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3603 on: February 11, 2021, 06:45:13 AM »
Does anyone have experience with OJ Elites vs Spitfire F4 99s? I'm enjoying the Elites much more than STF 103s and F4 101s in the dusty indoor park I go to at winter. What I don't like about the Elites is they sometimes have an unpredictable kickout where they go from grippy to icy in 0.01 seconds, which is scary. I'm wondering if F4 99's could be an improvement over the Elites.

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #3604 on: February 11, 2021, 06:57:24 AM »
Does anyone have experience with OJ Elites vs Spitfire F4 99s? I'm enjoying the Elites much more than STF 103s and F4 101s in the dusty indoor park I go to at winter. What I don't like about the Elites is they sometimes have an unpredictable kickout where they go from grippy to icy in 0.01 seconds, which is scary. I'm wondering if F4 99's could be an improvement over the Elites.

I’ve used both. I definitely prefer the f4 99’s way more. The oj’s aren’t bad but definitely have a plastic-y feel and don’t seem as grippy as the f4’s in certain situations like you were saying. I remember hearing the duro ratings between companies varied, so that makes sense.

mbam003

« Reply #3605 on: February 11, 2021, 07:05:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ve used both. I definitely prefer the f4 99’s way more. The oj’s aren’t bad but definitely have a plastic-y feel and don’t seem as grippy as the f4’s in certain situations like you were saying. I remember hearing the duro ratings between companies varied, so that makes sense.

Thanks for the information. OJ Elites unlike the STF 103s and Spitfire 101s haven't betrayed me, so I'm actually quite satisfied with them. The consistency of the grip could be improved though and the universal shape which I'm using isn't manufactured anymore and I'm not a fan of the EZ Edge and Hardline shapes. F4 99s are one of the last big options I have not tried besides Bones Easy Streets, which I heard are nice and grippy as well.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3606 on: February 11, 2021, 06:52:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for the information. OJ Elites unlike the STF 103s and Spitfire 101s haven't betrayed me, so I'm actually quite satisfied with them. The consistency of the grip could be improved though and the universal shape which I'm using isn't manufactured anymore and I'm not a fan of the EZ Edge and Hardline shapes. F4 99s are one of the last big options I have not tried besides Bones Easy Streets, which I heard are nice and grippy as well.

From working in indoor parks and constantly having to clean the surfaces, I am thinking it could be more a case of the dust build up in some areas of the park being more of a concern than the wheels, but that said I had always had slightly wider surface and slightly softer duro wheels for the mixed surfaces indoors compared to the normal raw concrete of outdoor skateparks.

The older USA made OJ Elites / Slimeballs were not actually anywhere near 101 duro and most were still more like 97 duro which I found perfect (but could still slip out from time to time) but the newer ones which are very white looking and have the plastic look to them as mentioned are a different story.

For the indoor park, most of the guys knew to account for the slip factor and still rode Spitfire 99s or Bones SPF wheels on everything, but yes the Bones 99s are also more grippy too, as well as the Spitfire 97 duro - classic shape in 54 and 56 mm.

I should add, I normally ride F4 99 duro on most things and they just work, minimal issues with anything for me, but yet to try the F4 97s.

mbam003

« Reply #3607 on: February 12, 2021, 11:15:52 AM »
From working in indoor parks and constantly having to clean the surfaces, I am thinking it could be more a case of the dust build up in some areas of the park being more of a concern than the wheels, but that said I had always had slightly wider surface and slightly softer duro wheels for the mixed surfaces indoors compared to the normal raw concrete of outdoor skateparks.

The older USA made OJ Elites / Slimeballs were not actually anywhere near 101 duro and most were still more like 97 duro which I found perfect (but could still slip out from time to time) but the newer ones which are very white looking and have the plastic look to them as mentioned are a different story.

For the indoor park, most of the guys knew to account for the slip factor and still rode Spitfire 99s or Bones SPF wheels on everything, but yes the Bones 99s are also more grippy too, as well as the Spitfire 97 duro - classic shape in 54 and 56 mm.

I should add, I normally ride F4 99 duro on most things and they just work, minimal issues with anything for me, but yet to try the F4 97s.

The bowl is dirty, but unfortunately it's a take it or leave it thing over here. I have found the Elites to perform sufficiently when scraping the wheels against the wall every few runs. I read about 80 pages of this thread yesterday and here are some people describing issues with the F4 99's (slippery and slow in transition):

I was in the 99a f4 conical full gang for the last year and loving the curb life on them, but ate serious shit slipping out at the park twice this past week. I’m just not great on transition to begin with so figured I’d try something a little grippier. Got talked into some 99a OJ hardline elites at the local. They’re noticeably faster and do grip better, which may or may not be a plus for all. Really solid wheel. Kinda wish they were made in the US (or Mexico), but otherwise loving them.

This is so far my experience except I tried 101s in the park before going to Elites.

One f4 slip out was your standard early-morning, bowl pump mishap and the other was coming out of an axle stall doing a delayed little revert thing that normally works out. Ouch. The new OJs feel way less icy, so now I can blame like 3% of those f4 slams on a personal gear mismatch and keep the madness alive.

I put on some F4 99s.  As happens every time I use F4 99s in transition - I remember again how slow they feel.  Skating the exact same lines I would end up lower, shorter and more tired halfway through the session.  I have F4 101s that I like, but the 99s always go back in the shoebox within a week or two.

I put on the STF 99s.  They are faster than F4s on the buttery smooth park I skate - almost as fast as the 103s, and have better traction, are quieter, and more comfortable.   With the F4s I would be thinking about pumping harder and trying to find speed wherever I could.  With the STFs, they are fast enough that I don't think about them when skating.

If I was riding street as most people do the F4's would be a no-brainer, but I have been riding nothing but a giant multi-section wooden bowl for months. OJ's seem like such a weird wheel brand to seriously get into, but if that's what it takes not to wipe out, then so be it. I think between Spitfire and Bones the only fast "grip" wheel they make are the Bones SPF, which would be rattly for street. The OJ's do look chalky and plasticky, but the ride is actually smooth and fast. I would like to try an NFG type aesthetic, but it seems like they're another slidey street wheel, which is not exactly what has worked for me.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 12:27:02 PM by mbam003 »

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 748
« Reply #3608 on: February 20, 2021, 09:31:39 AM »
Is 97a really that big of a difference than 99a?

I understand it varies between brands as well. Been thinking of trying out Dogtown wheels.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3609 on: February 20, 2021, 04:50:23 PM »

I understand it varies between brands as well. Been thinking of trying out Dogtown wheels.

The big wheels from both OJ 95 and 97 and Powell 97 that I have are (what I would consider just the right amount) more grippy than others, but still roll hard and fast over everything, which is why so many people enjoy them on boards with more size and weight, mainly but not limited to old school shapes and sizes.  They still slide, but they don't usually slip out.  They also have a decent amount of give on more harsh surfaces, eg crusty old skatepark or rougher bitumen roads.

These ones I am referring to usually come in 60+ mm sizes, so there is also that to think about too, being much bigger, they had a lot more rolling potential than smaller wheels.

I am yet to try the Spitfire F4 97s, but lots of people on here say they like them. I do still have a lot of the old softer Spitfires in both 95 and 97 and they are amazing wheels, most of those in about 56 to 57mm, some now down to 50mm and have lasted really well.

There are also 97s from Speedlab, the Danforth nomads in 57mm 97 duro (not to be confused with OJ nomads in 95), both of which are fun and good wheels.

Dogtown seems like a good brand, not skimping on quality, so those wheels should be a good compound too.  Some others I had from them a long time ago were amazing.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 748
« Reply #3610 on: February 20, 2021, 08:24:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The big wheels from both OJ 95 and 97 and Powell 97 that I have are (what I would consider just the right amount) more grippy than others, but still roll hard and fast over everything, which is why so many people enjoy them on boards with more size and weight, mainly but not limited to old school shapes and sizes.  They still slide, but they don't usually slip out.  They also have a decent amount of give on more harsh surfaces, eg crusty old skatepark or rougher bitumen roads.

These ones I am referring to usually come in 60+ mm sizes, so there is also that to think about too, being much bigger, they had a lot more rolling potential than smaller wheels.

I am yet to try the Spitfire F4 97s, but lots of people on here say they like them. I do still have a lot of the old softer Spitfires in both 95 and 97 and they are amazing wheels, most of those in about 56 to 57mm, some now down to 50mm and have lasted really well.

There are also 97s from Speedlab, the Danforth nomads in 57mm 97 duro (not to be confused with OJ nomads in 95), both of which are fun and good wheels.

Dogtown seems like a good brand, not skimping on quality, so those wheels should be a good compound too.  Some others I had from them a long time ago were amazing.

It's comforting reading all of this, it got rid of some of the skepticism I had. Gonna try out the Dogtown 60mm 97a K9 Single Conicals, new durometer and shape is going to be a trip to skate.

clint

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3611 on: February 21, 2021, 11:17:01 AM »
I got a set of 52mm Ghost Lites yesterday. Overall it's fun to try something different and the cores are a fun throwback. But these wheels do not compare to F4 - especially for their price. Next to F4, these Orbs are slower, don't slide as well, and just don't feel or sound as good in general.

That being said I do think they look cool as shit, and I would be fully onboard for a F4 cored wheel.

https://welcomeskateboards.com/collections/wheels/products/orbs-ghost-lites-52mm-white-black

White = 52mm
Pink = 54mm
Blue = 56mm

Why reintroduce a concept that's already been proven to fail? More importantly, which one of you guys are going to try this out? Cause $44 is not cheap for a factually failed concept

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3612 on: February 21, 2021, 03:22:05 PM »
Been riding 52mm BONES STF V3s (or V1s depending on obstacles) 99a (that's a fucking mouthful) for minute now due to skating some crusty rough ass spots and have zero complaints...Why BONES? I don't have any Spits in 99a and have too many wheels :P

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3613 on: February 24, 2021, 05:37:29 PM »
Not gonna lie, just saw these and had to stop what I was doing and fan out for a minute...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLr_QXhllMz/

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3614 on: February 24, 2021, 05:44:01 PM »

Not gonna lie, just saw these and had to stop what I was doing and fan out for a minute...

They’re nice. Look like conical full too.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3615 on: February 24, 2021, 07:25:34 PM »

Expand Quote

[close]

og classics
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3616 on: February 24, 2021, 11:26:26 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
og classics
radials

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3617 on: February 25, 2021, 07:01:53 AM »

OG Classics for the win.

That pic makes them look so wide though, I really didn't know what shape they were.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLpXUYzAO-K/

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3618 on: February 25, 2021, 07:22:05 AM »

OG Classics for the win.

That pic makes them look so wide though, I really didn't know what shape they were.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLpXUYzAO-K/

The GT wheel looks so good....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

cant stop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
  • It's all about tricks.
« Reply #3619 on: February 27, 2021, 03:59:58 AM »
I just made an order on some bones 84b 56mm for my cruiser board. I have a feeling that was a big misstake for the rough ground in northen europe? Which wheel can I compare them with when it comes to the hardness, cause I have the feeling 84b is not as soft as I want them. I have some ricta clouds 78d and I want something a little bit harder.
You know what sucks? I always rip my pants when Im having a good time! - The Gonz

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3620 on: February 27, 2021, 04:03:03 AM »
84b is hard as fuck
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3621 on: February 27, 2021, 04:13:41 AM »
I just made an order on some bones 84b 56mm for my cruiser board. I have a feeling that was a big misstake for the rough ground in northen europe? Which wheel can I compare them with when it comes to the hardness, cause I have the feeling 84b is not as soft as I want them. I have some ricta clouds 78d and I want something a little bit harder.
84b is comparable to 104a, so yeah, big mistake. You'd want 80-90a.

cant stop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
  • It's all about tricks.
« Reply #3622 on: February 27, 2021, 04:32:31 AM »
Thanks! Im on it.
You know what sucks? I always rip my pants when Im having a good time! - The Gonz

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3623 on: February 27, 2021, 04:42:12 AM »

Basic info (sorry if this is already known) but the durometer measurements are on the A scale and for skateboard wheels, really only go from high seventies (very soft) to top out at a hundred (very hard), so the B scale was introduced to allow the wheels to go beyond that, (even though it is not actually possible to measure accurately or compare scales) and so minus 20 from the A number will get the B number, eg 100a = 80b, or as you have Bones at 84b is likened to 104a, as stated.

When you see a "D" after it, it is more likely just to mean the word durometer, or often when people say 90 duro for short, it is 90A, which is a really good hardness for cruiser boards.

Bones do the all terrain wheels which are also about 80 duro on the A scale, which are the ones you might have been thinking of and are excellent wheels for rolling smoothly over crust.

https://bones.com/skateboard-wheels/all-terrain-formula

At least you can set up those normal Bones wheels you just bought on a "go fast" board and hit the local ramp, parks or bowl, but if that is not your thing, you might be able to sell them on or swap them with someone.  That is if you cannot get a hold of whoever you just bought them from and stop them sending them to you first.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3624 on: February 27, 2021, 03:48:52 PM »
I just saw this on 35th Ave instagram - Loophole wheels back in stock:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLxxjuildNZ/

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3625 on: March 11, 2021, 11:52:52 AM »
Loopholes are the the shit. Everyone should try them. As good as bones or spit for sure. 58 tears would be the bees knees.

So I need help

I'm thinking about getting g slides rn even though they are green.  I was wondering if slap has an opinion on them?

I'd rather have a 95a or a 97a wheel if the g slides suck.

Sliding has saved my life so many times skating across Marblehead to see the sunrise.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3626 on: March 11, 2021, 12:57:00 PM »
Loopholes are the the shit. Everyone should try them. As good as bones or spit for sure. 58 tears would be the bees knees.

So I need help

I'm thinking about getting g slides rn even though they are green.  I was wondering if slap has an opinion on them?

Sliding has saved my life so many times skating across Marblehead to see the sunrise.

I’ve had two sets of Gslides and they are ok as a cruiser wheel, but the slide goes away really really quickly. They seem to slide ok (for a soft wheel) for the first few sessions but once the outer layer comes off they are as grippy as any other soft wheel.

By slide, I mean power slides on asphalt for normal street skating.

The only soft wheels I’ve ever found that slide consistently for a long period of time are the 85a cruiser wheels that used to be on Pennswoods website and those look to be sold out.

If you want to try a 97a that has consistent slide, try the new 97a F4’s. I’ve had mine for over a month and do a ton of slidey stuff and they are fantastic. They feel a little nicer on crust than the 99s, grip slightly more but break into slides really easy and the slide is steady.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #3627 on: March 16, 2021, 10:51:21 PM »
looking for 50mm 99a or 97a conicals and came across darkroom wheels...anyone tried their Segment or Prism wheels? they seem to be conical shaped too which seems pretty rare.

I'll probably get a set in the next week, but wondering if anyone has any experience with them

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3628 on: March 17, 2021, 04:54:06 AM »
Expand Quote

So I need help

[close]

I’ve had two sets of Gslides and they are ok as a cruiser wheel, but the slide goes away really really quickly. They seem to slide ok (for a soft wheel) for the first few sessions but once the outer layer comes off they are as grippy as any other soft wheel.

By slide, I mean power slides on asphalt for normal street skating.

The only soft wheels I’ve ever found that slide consistently for a long period of time are the 85a cruiser wheels that used to be on Pennswoods website and those look to be sold out.

If you want to try a 97a that has consistent slide, try the new 97a F4’s. I’ve had mine for over a month and do a ton of slidey stuff and they are fantastic. They feel a little nicer on crust than the 99s, grip slightly more but break into slides really easy and the slide is steady.

That's what I figured.

I should just ride my old 97a bones from the 80s
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3629 on: March 17, 2021, 06:10:59 AM »
https://www.hazardwheels.com/

i wish there was a wheel more slippery then stf 104a..
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick