Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778007 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3720 on: April 12, 2021, 05:22:57 PM »
Anyone got suggestions for big, wide, hardish wheels for cracked, shitty ground. -like really shitty with patches of weeds, Rocks, goose shit and no point in cleaning it.
No soft juice stuff, I got some Powell ssl that are nice for cruising but too sticky for what I am thinking of.

I am usually riding 58 conical full f4s that are nice and thought of getting something like cubes or the roadcrew scram wheels, maybe those wide ojs, anyone got experience with a few or can help me with those, thanks!

Also wasn’t there a big wheels thread? Can’t find it...

Spitfire 56mm 97a Conical Fulls

You'll love them, they're amazing wheels (sadly I iced mine today tho as they are wider than what I want right now; switched back to Bones V2s and now I can straddle those double sided curbs all they way locked in!!)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3721 on: April 12, 2021, 06:32:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone got suggestions for big, wide, hardish wheels for cracked, shitty ground. -like really shitty with patches of weeds, Rocks, goose shit and no point in cleaning it.
No soft juice stuff, I got some Powell ssl that are nice for cruising but too sticky for what I am thinking of.

I am usually riding 58 conical full f4s that are nice and thought of getting something like cubes or the roadcrew scram wheels, maybe those wide ojs, anyone got experience with a few or can help me with those, thanks!

[close]

You'll love them, they're amazing wheels (sadly I iced mine today tho as they are wider than what I want right now; switched back to Bones V2s and now I can straddle those double sided curbs all they way locked in!!)
are they heavy being that wide? My NFG vcut are super wide and can feel the heft

sketchyrider

« Reply #3722 on: April 13, 2021, 09:01:10 AM »

i too am curious about wheels like these. I have 56 bones wide's that are decent on sidewalk, but 99a still seems a little hard. basically same dims as spitfire conical full.

not to shill too hard but i have some 57 mil dogtown 80's street 97a that never touched pavement, too wide for what i wanted, if you're interested.

LE_rik

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3723 on: April 15, 2021, 10:29:41 AM »
ordered 56s 97a full conicals today and really look forward hitting the streets with them. Right now I skate bones stf 99a. Want more comfy rides to the spots and hope the 97a will perform better although I liked the bones my knees asked for softer wheels. Had the OJ nomads on my list but they don't seem to be available at the moment.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3724 on: April 15, 2021, 10:34:23 AM »
ordered 56s 97a full conicals today and really look forward hitting the streets with them. Right now I skate bones stf 99a. Want more comfy rides to the spots and hope the 97a will perform better although I liked the bones my knees asked for softer wheels. Had the OJ nomads on my list but they don't seem to be available at the moment.
youll love em. where did you order from?

LE_rik

« Reply #3725 on: April 15, 2021, 10:58:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Sounds great! I ordered at skatewarehouse. They are not available in Germany as far as I know and are still a bit cheaper incl. Intl shipping within 5 working days. Hopefully this will work out.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #3726 on: April 19, 2021, 01:16:44 AM »
god damn reading this shits makes me wanna pull the trigger on some 55mm 97a classics so bad

gotta wear out the SML AG formulas first though. Real nice wheel btw

LE_rik

« Reply #3727 on: April 19, 2021, 01:51:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Sounds great! I ordered at skatewarehouse. They are not available in Germany as far as I know and are still a bit cheaper incl. Intl shipping within 5 working days. Hopefully this will work out.

US to Germany from last Thursday til today is really fast and so are the F4 full conicals 97a 56mm. I took of my now approximately 49mm Bones ex 53mm 99a (don't know the exact shape anymore). The shape is massive compared to my last wheels but damn it, they roll smooth and hold the speed so goood. (With almost 10 year old bones swiss ceramics). They add 100g to my board which I have to bring up but it is just more wheel... 50g vs 75g. Expected them to be kinda softer but on most of the grounds I took them they just rolled and rolled. No Problem with Tailslides/boardslides on beton ledges, goodockin to grinds, Good revert/powerslide control. Overall I am a happy man. Thanks for the recommendations

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3728 on: April 21, 2021, 03:53:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
are they heavy being that wide? My NFG vcut are super wide and can feel the heft

Could really tell as I have them set up with 159s on an 8.625" the whole set-up is hefty.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
https://www.hazardwheels.com/

i wish there was a wheel more slippery then stf 104a..
[close]

i felt f4 101a's were more slippery than the spf 104s and stf 103s
[close]

To confuse matters further, I feel that my F4 99’s are more slippery than my F4 101’s
[close]

you aren't the only one. and a lot of people say stf's are more slippery than spf's. who knows...
[close]

mght as well go with stf 99a for street then...

too broke for f4 its like 60cad for a set
[close]

Oddly enough, the 99a Stfs I’ve had are pretty grippy and don’t slide very well. At least the newer ones. When they first came out the white ones slid comparably to f4 but the natural color ones after those seem drastically different
[close]

It's true, the white EZ streets slide waaaaaay better than the current natural colored 99a STFs (previously dirty birds?). You can still get the white EZs but it's old stock and usually 54mm+
[close]

Haha I’m glad I’m not the only one that noticed. I thought the white ones were pretty comparable to F4 99’s as far as ease and consistency of slide

Not that I wasn't 100% sure of it before, but I happened to bring two setups with me today, one with the older 'bones white' 99a STF EZ streets the other with 99a STF (the natural/dirty bird color) - the thanes are totally different; they clearly changed it up [for the worse] when they went to the natural color.

On medium-rough terrain the 99a EZs felt like a 101 in comparison to the 99a stfs, which felt soft and mushy (something I noted the other day riding my V2s after the 97a spits).

In fact, the F4 97a feel and sound harder than the current natural colored 99a STFs and feel and sound closer to the older 99a EZ streets. I'm officially back of Bones 99a once these EZs are toast...but the 97a F4s are just too good!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 04:06:10 PM by Xen »

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3729 on: April 26, 2021, 07:06:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Could really tell as I have them set up with 159s on an 8.625" the whole set-up is hefty.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
https://www.hazardwheels.com/

i wish there was a wheel more slippery then stf 104a..
[close]

i felt f4 101a's were more slippery than the spf 104s and stf 103s
[close]

To confuse matters further, I feel that my F4 99’s are more slippery than my F4 101’s
[close]

you aren't the only one. and a lot of people say stf's are more slippery than spf's. who knows...
[close]

mght as well go with stf 99a for street then...

too broke for f4 its like 60cad for a set
[close]

Oddly enough, the 99a Stfs I’ve had are pretty grippy and don’t slide very well. At least the newer ones. When they first came out the white ones slid comparably to f4 but the natural color ones after those seem drastically different
[close]

It's true, the white EZ streets slide waaaaaay better than the current natural colored 99a STFs (previously dirty birds?). You can still get the white EZs but it's old stock and usually 54mm+
[close]

Haha I’m glad I’m not the only one that noticed. I thought the white ones were pretty comparable to F4 99’s as far as ease and consistency of slide
[close]

Not that I wasn't 100% sure of it before, but I happened to bring two setups with me today, one with the older 'bones white' 99a STF EZ streets the other with 99a STF (the natural/dirty bird color) - the thanes are totally different; they clearly changed it up [for the worse] when they went to the natural color.

On medium-rough terrain the 99a EZs felt like a 101 in comparison to the 99a stfs, which felt soft and mushy (something I noted the other day riding my V2s after the 97a spits).

In fact, the F4 97a feel and sound harder than the current natural colored 99a STFs and feel and sound closer to the older 99a EZ streets. I'm officially back of Bones 99a once these EZs are toast...but the 97a F4s are just too good!

Interesting! I hadn’t thought to compare the F4 97’s with the original easy streets, but I can see the similarities for sure. The easy streets are slower, imo, but the feel is similar

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #3730 on: April 26, 2021, 07:23:50 PM »
Comparisons between F4, 97a conical fulls and NFGmfg 95a Vee shape.

The F4’s feel a little harder, are slightly faster and slide more consistently and cleaner. I do, however, like the NFG a lot because the slightly softer feel is nice and they still slide nice. Somehow, I like the slide and feel on these better than their standard formula. Plus I have a weird fascination with NFG and Loophole wheels. One interesting thing is that these seem to slide better than the standard formula Vee shapes I have. I don’t know if the harder formula catches on the ground more during power slides (because the edges are so flat and the softer formula might allow the sharp edges more give? Speculation.), or if it’s some friction thing I don’t understand or some other mysterious property of urethane. Whatever it is, I feel more comfortable power sliding the 95’s at speed.

Anyway, I’d like to try the NFG 95’s in the classic shape next time they come around so I can compare them with the F4 97’s in the classic shape I have. I actually like the f4 classic shape in 97 better than the conical full so I imagine I’ll like the NFG’s a lot too.

Hope that all makes sense. Long day today haha

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3731 on: April 26, 2021, 08:11:54 PM »
I back your loophole fetish— my 56mm V-cuts are hands down the best wheel I’ve ever ridden!!!! But yes, there is consistency issues because my 52mmm teardrops don’t slide nearly as good as the 56s despite them being the same durometer (I even asked them if they have different durometers for their regular wheels).

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3732 on: April 27, 2021, 12:00:39 AM »
i asked nfg if they would ship a few sets of 95a wheels to europe but got no reply.

anyone knows a eu shop that somehow carries them or could i just order on their site anyways?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3733 on: April 27, 2021, 04:40:11 AM »
i asked nfg if they would ship a few sets of 95a wheels to europe but got no reply.

anyone knows a eu shop that somehow carries them or could i just order on their site anyways?

I think they are a small time place that has no interest (or need) to ship to places other than US, as I would be keen to try some in AU as well, but that isn't happening any time soon, as they easily sell out of all their stock locally.

NFG / Loophole do have their products in some US shops, who might ship internationally, but right this minute I cannot think of who has any in stock, even though I follow a lot of shop accounts and their own accounts on Instagram.

The best bet might be tee up someone locally to buy and send them, but I think it will work out more expensive than buying other / better wheels more locally, eg 95a OJs, 97a Spitfire or even some Bones that feel much softer than 99a, and I know the price of Spitfires especially are pretty steep over there.

EDIT:

I went digging and it looks like they don't have any 95s in stock and it was only a limited thing anyway.  From their facebook page that came up on a google search:

NFG MFG
1 December 2020 ·
Our 95a formula is small batch and wont be around for long. Created for crusty spots. Slides like the original with a bit more grip.
Get yours while you still can!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 04:51:45 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #3734 on: April 27, 2021, 05:26:52 AM »
I back your loophole fetish— my 56mm V-cuts are hands down the best wheel I’ve ever ridden!!!! But yes, there is consistency issues because my 52mmm teardrops don’t slide nearly as good as the 56s despite them being the same durometer (I even asked them if they have different durometers for their regular wheels).

Haha I’m glad I’m not the only one with the weird fascination

Agreed on the consistency issues, slide wise. I have two sets of squares and they both slide a little different, especially when they were new. One set was ice slick at first then broke in to be standard non F4 wheel grippiness (like OJ or most of the other non F4, non stf I’ve tried. Will slide with some force and good technique, but don’t just break out easy). The other started off fairly grippy. The Vee shapes I have in standard formula don’t slide that well at all. They all feel similar and good when rolling though. Interesting!

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3735 on: April 27, 2021, 10:15:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think they are a small time place that has no interest (or need) to ship to places other than US, as I would be keen to try some in AU as well, but that isn't happening any time soon, as they easily sell out of all their stock locally.

NFG / Loophole do have their products in some US shops, who might ship internationally, but right this minute I cannot think of who has any in stock, even though I follow a lot of shop accounts and their own accounts on Instagram.

The best bet might be tee up someone locally to buy and send them, but I think it will work out more expensive than buying other / better wheels more locally, eg 95a OJs, 97a Spitfire or even some Bones that feel much softer than 99a, and I know the price of Spitfires especially are pretty steep over there.

EDIT:

I went digging and it looks like they don't have any 95s in stock and it was only a limited thing anyway.  From their facebook page that came up on a google search:

NFG MFG
1 December 2020 ·
Our 95a formula is small batch and wont be around for long. Created for crusty spots. Slides like the original with a bit more grip.
Get yours while you still can!

thx for the reply brimson, much appreciated.

yeah i guess i'll try my luck maybe whenever they drop next hopefully, maybe a pal in the us can help me out then or something. at least getting loopholes is not a problem over here, really want to try them after i'm through with my current set.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3736 on: April 27, 2021, 10:41:28 PM »
I can get mad loopholes here if anyone wants to do a pals trade for some PFCs

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #3737 on: May 02, 2021, 06:54:27 AM »
Anyone here have any insight on SML or Dialtone's?

Looking at these two at the moment:
- https://www.soohotrightnow.com/en/shop/product/sml-pall-pencil-pushers-wheels-99a-53mm/
- https://www.skatedeluxe.com/de/dial-tone-atlantic-conical-rollen-white-53mm-99a-4er-pack_p142552

I want a 53mm, V-cut/conical, 99a. I was ridding Bones Easy Streets but I wanna go back to support smaller wheel brands... (I refuse to pay 60 euros for F4's)

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #3738 on: May 02, 2021, 01:02:06 PM »

- https://www.soohotrightnow.com/en/shop/product/sml-pall-pencil-pushers-wheels-99a-53mm/
- https://www.skatedeluxe.com/de/dial-tone-atlantic-conical-rollen-white-53mm-99a-4er-pack_p142552

I want a 53mm, V-cut/conical, 99a. I was ridding Bones Easy Streets but I wanna go back to support smaller wheel brands... (I refuse to pay 60 euros for F4's)
I think they’re the same urethane. Ive had a couple sets of smls over the years, they’re alright. I’ve been feeling these satori 101s. I think they might be the same as the others too.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3739 on: May 02, 2021, 08:26:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I think they’re the same urethane. Ive had a couple sets of smls over the years, they’re alright. I’ve been feeling these satori 101s. I think they might be the same as the others too.

Yes I believe it has been said they are all from Creative Urethanes, who produce wheels for many of the smaller brands, including Dialtone, Satori, Sml (who also use another wheel manufacturer for their very bright white compound)

http://creativeurethanes.com/

https://www.creativewheelsusa.com/

Pretty cool to see the videos of production from the second link.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3740 on: May 02, 2021, 09:43:11 PM »
loopholes over sml for me but sml certainly get the job done and are a must if you love white wheels!

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #3741 on: May 02, 2021, 10:24:51 PM »

I'm on some V1 Easy Streets now but was riding some SML V-Cuts 99a before them. They're a good wheel but take a bit more work to break into powerslides.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #3742 on: May 02, 2021, 10:32:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm on some V1 Easy Streets now but was riding some SML V-Cuts 99a before them. They're a good wheel but take a bit more work to break into powerslides.

Oh cool! That is the wheel and shape I’m ridding at the moment too! Amazing wheels but I just wanna retire them and try something different.
Ended up getting Sml’s, and it seems that they are the AG formula. Read it feels more like spitfires and the OG formula more like Bones... let’s see how they feel in a few days.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3743 on: May 02, 2021, 10:41:09 PM »
Been itching for some Bones lately. Just a bummer they started making most of them brown this year :-\

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #3744 on: May 02, 2021, 10:53:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Oh cool! That is the wheel and shape I’m ridding at the moment too! Amazing wheels but I just wanna retire them and try something different.
Ended up getting Sml’s, and it seems that they are the AG formula. Read it feels more like spitfires and the OG formula more like Bones... let’s see how they feel in a few days.

Mine also took a while to break in, but I was only skating twice a week at the time for 1-2 hours a session. I was riding the OG formula too so i'm not sure how the AG formula feels in comparison. I'd definitely pick more up in the future. I switched to Bones V1's only because I wanted something a bit lighter and nimble after recovering from my quad strain and losing some strength.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #3745 on: May 03, 2021, 03:46:41 PM »
Apparently Arizona Iced Tea makes wheels these days. Anyone have any production info?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMFn1ZGgSCa/?igshid=1mxizmsyhlja3

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3746 on: May 03, 2021, 06:19:31 PM »
Been itching for some Bones lately. Just a bummer they started making most of them brown this year :-\

I think they either realised that trying to look like Spitfire F4 was not going to work, or just thought they were not as good, so went back to normal white wheels, as all the current lot as per some I just got are white, not natural or any other weird colour.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3747 on: May 03, 2021, 08:00:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think they either realised that trying to look like Spitfire F4 was not going to work, or just thought they were not as good, so went back to normal white wheels, as all the current lot as per some I just got are white, not natural or any other weird colour.

Only the 99a STF come in the 'dirty bird' brown (which they now just label as 99a STF). Everything else that is the 'bones white' is still 103a/83b.

https://bones.com/skateboard-wheels/street-tech-formula-tm?soc_wheel_hardness%5B0%5D=99a&soc_wheel_hardness%5B1%5D=103a

I recently posted about this, the OG EZ streets that were 99a and 'bones' white feel so much better than the spongy 99a STF 'naturals' they're selling now (I have set of each and the 99a Ez streets in white feel like 97a spits)...I wouldn't put it past them that they are using the 100 thane for these as they feel THAT different.

Old/discontinued

Current color

After riding 97a spit f4 and 99a F4 and 99a current natural bones, I went back to a very old set of the white 99a bones ez streets and prefer them over the current 99a bones, so much so that I will only skate the 83b bones STFs.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 08:13:54 PM by Xen »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3748 on: May 03, 2021, 08:20:04 PM »

I guess these might not look white, but they don't seem off white / natural or dirty bird coloured in real life.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3749 on: May 03, 2021, 09:20:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Only the 99a STF come in the 'dirty bird' brown (which they now just label as 99a STF). Everything else that is the 'bones white' is still 103a/83b.

https://bones.com/skateboard-wheels/street-tech-formula-tm?soc_wheel_hardness%5B0%5D=99a&soc_wheel_hardness%5B1%5D=103a

I recently posted about this, the OG EZ streets that were 99a and 'bones' white feel so much better than the spongy 99a STF 'naturals' they're selling now (I have set of each and the 99a Ez streets in white feel like 97a spits)...I wouldn't put it past them that they are using the 100 thane for these as they feel THAT different.

Old/discontinued

Current color

After riding 97a spit f4 and 99a F4 and 99a current natural bones, I went back to a very old set of the white 99a bones ez streets and prefer them over the current 99a bones, so much so that I will only skate the 83b bones STFs.

Didn't get a chance to ride the original Easy Streets but the newer 99a definitely felt mushy, I would rank it below a F4 99a in terms of hardness.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m