Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777609 times)

cucktard and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

sketchyrider

Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3750 on: May 04, 2021, 07:57:39 AM »
weighing on on the OG white easy streets vs natural 99 stfs, i'd agree that the white ones felt better.

the white ones felt hard and fast but really absorbed the rough ground, had that bones plasticky feel but in a good way. these naturals just don't have the same shock absorption on rough streets. idk if id go so far to say they feel mushy, but they just feel unremarkable.

i will say the OG whites wore down fast, and broke down in a weird way, i recall seeing "strings" of urethane coming off on my set. that's the only negative i can think of vs the natural ones.

Gnarles Mingus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #3751 on: May 04, 2021, 09:29:48 AM »
Expand Quote
i asked nfg if they would ship a few sets of 95a wheels to europe but got no reply.

anyone knows a eu shop that somehow carries them or could i just order on their site anyways?
[close]

I think they are a small time place that has no interest (or need) to ship to places other than US, as I would be keen to try some in AU as well, but that isn't happening any time soon, as they easily sell out of all their stock locally.

NFG / Loophole do have their products in some US shops, who might ship internationally, but right this minute I cannot think of who has any in stock, even though I follow a lot of shop accounts and their own accounts on Instagram.

The best bet might be tee up someone locally to buy and send them, but I think it will work out more expensive than buying other / better wheels more locally, eg 95a OJs, 97a Spitfire or even some Bones that feel much softer than 99a, and I know the price of Spitfires especially are pretty steep over there.

EDIT:

I went digging and it looks like they don't have any 95s in stock and it was only a limited thing anyway.  From their facebook page that came up on a google search:

NFG MFG
1 December 2020 ·
Our 95a formula is small batch and wont be around for long. Created for crusty spots. Slides like the original with a bit more grip.
Get yours while you still can!

I'm currently riding the nfg 95a's (56mm, v-shape) and enjoy them quite a bit. Mostly skating curbs and cruising the neighborhood, but my aging knees appreciate the reduced hardness. Nice and grippy with decent enough slide. Very stoked to see the new loophole video that just premiered too.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3752 on: May 04, 2021, 09:42:24 AM »

I guess these might not look white, but they don't seem off white / natural or dirty bird coloured in real life.

Old stock maybe? Googling the fatties brings up the same white looking wheels, anything else looks brown, even the bones V6 section is all browntown.

It's too bad, good wheel and I liked them over the 99a Spit F4. My guess is the marketing took over...they went from EZ streets to Dirty Birds (to match up with F4 coloring) then just defaulted back to 99a STFs but now brown.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3753 on: May 04, 2021, 12:11:38 PM »

Yeah this color is what I need. 99A V5. I have zero initiative to buy brown Bones wheels. It's even in the name ::) I hope they see this and get their stuff together. This Dirty Birds stuff is not going to cut it. If it comes down to it I'll get the wheels in 103A, but at that point OJ Hardlines are looking a little bit more solid as they grip more.

bigbevev

• Rep: -14
« Reply #3754 on: May 04, 2021, 01:38:48 PM »
I miss teenage runaway wheels, that is all.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3755 on: May 04, 2021, 03:29:49 PM »
Idk why some of yall want it to look like Biebel is smiling underneath your set ups. Even before the brand new potato color wheel trend, I couldn't wait for my new wheels to get dirty when I was growing up.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3756 on: May 04, 2021, 03:38:06 PM »
i don't dislike white wheels, it's just with bones they used to turn into this disgusting neon piss yellow. that actually made me buy a pink set of bones once just because i was fed up with them looking like some glow in the dark type wheels after a few weeks.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3757 on: May 04, 2021, 06:48:37 PM »

From skating a lot on a certain ramp painted red from a long time ago now, it didn't matter what colour (white) the wheels were they would always end up this weird orangy colour from the ramp.

That is more my Spitfires than another guy who had Bones wheels, but I have seen other brands do this too, depending on formula, eg usually the more milky translucent coloured wheels would absorb the terrain colour more so than the bright plastic looking white wheels, that never seemed to change colour.

I have Bones STF wheels that are still new in package, from maybe ten or more years ago that are still whiter than anything that is coming out now, including those 99s and other ones that I bought some of, which are new current stock.  The SPF wheels from the same time also still new in pack are more yellowed than new natural F4 Spitfires, so it always made me wonder what goes into the formula of the wheel that would have such a lasting effect on the colour.

Older Spitfires in classic formula go almost dark brown over time, along with some that go pinkish brown and another set that have gone greenish brown, all still new in packaging and kept out of light, so go figure.  Anything under fluorescent shop counter lights or direct sunlight usually went off colour very quickly.

It might be fun to lay some out and take pics of them to compare, when I have a minute.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #3758 on: May 04, 2021, 07:12:41 PM »
NFG MFG has an Indiegogo crowdfunding thing going on. The link is on their Instagram.

You can choose from 95a and 52D (101a) wheels in Teardrop, Square and Vee shapes. They also offer hoodies, shirts, hats etc.

I’m glad to see those 95a’s as I missed out on them last time.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3759 on: May 04, 2021, 07:37:45 PM »
NFG MFG has an Indiegogo crowdfunding thing going on. The link is on their Instagram.

You can choose from 95a and 52D (101a) wheels in Teardrop, Square and Vee shapes. They also offer hoodies, shirts, hats etc.

I’m glad to see those 95a’s as I missed out on them last time.

Looks like a good way to do it.

Thanks for the info, Instagram post and details here too...

www.indiegogo.com/projects/high-performance-skateboard-wheels-by-nfgmfg

Well worth a look and a read (and purchase if so inclined to get those 95a duro wheels).

nfg_mfg
We’ve decided to start an indiegogo crowdfunding campaign as a way to pre-book our new summer catalog! Now is your chance to help our small business raise some much needed money for equipment and get yourself some awesome new gear in the process. Click the link in our bio and check it out!

https://www.instagram.com/p/COdklsMlHIN/

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3760 on: May 05, 2021, 06:25:11 AM »
If they are willing to ship o/s, I’m keen to give them some of my hard-earned

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3761 on: May 05, 2021, 01:01:32 PM »

they have some items where it says shipping worldwide. no clue if that's just a mistake, since most the stuff ships to us only. but there is a double set of 95a vee shapes where it says ships worldwide down at the bottom of the scroll list and a t-shirt pack and some more wheels, but only double packs i think. very good deals though.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3762 on: May 05, 2021, 05:21:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

they have some items where it says shipping worldwide. no clue if that's just a mistake, since most the stuff ships to us only. but there is a double set of 95a vee shapes where it says ships worldwide down at the bottom of the scroll list and a t-shirt pack and some more wheels, but only double packs i think. very good deals though.

Someone asked in comments on that post and the reply was...

"nfg_mfg
Not currently although we are looking into it, if possible contact your local shop and ask them to reach out to us!"

Makes sense to try to get the product into the local shops rather than have to send individually - expensive shipping small packages to individuals and the cost is not worth it, even if the recipient is willing to pay full shipping costs, which would usually work out more expensive than buying wheels from a local shop in whatever country anyway.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #3763 on: May 08, 2021, 10:22:50 AM »
So my new town is a little more historic and I’m finding my 99as to be too damn hard. I’ve legit never used anything but basic ass 99a 54mm shit. I’m wondering if anyone has any recs for something quite a bit softer, but still okay for simple flat shit. I just cruise, so some curbs and pressure flips these days.

topfrog10

« Reply #3764 on: May 08, 2021, 11:16:56 AM »
Hate to be that guy but picking wheels is the one thing I’ve never fully understood. I skate mostly street (not too tech) but also some park so am looking for a solid in between wheel. I’m riding an 8.5 with venture 5.8s, and am around 170. Was skating F4 52mm radials but they’ve worn down to be too small to ride any ramps. Switched back to my older 54mm tablets for the time being and found I really don’t like how slow and draggy they felt. I’m down to play with different brands and shapes too. Anyone got any recs? If you’d wanna explain why you’re reccing them to me that would be awesome, hopefully I can get a better idea of what I should be looking for.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3765 on: May 09, 2021, 04:07:55 AM »
So my new town is a little more historic and I’m finding my 99as to be too damn hard. I’ve legit never used anything but basic ass 99a 54mm shit. I’m wondering if anyone has any recs for something quite a bit softer, but still okay for simple flat shit. I just cruise, so some curbs and pressure flips these days.

A lot of people have been enjoying Spitfire F4 97 duro wheels, and others have been riding and like the OJs in 95 too, so those are probably the best and more widely available options for slightly softer wheels without going to the "soft wheel" options which are more like cruiser wheels.

Depends what is available to you as well, but most of those come in good sizes 54mm or so, the Spitfires in classic and conical full shapes too, the OJs in a medium to wider profile.

Hate to be that guy but picking wheels is the one thing I’ve never fully understood. I skate mostly street (not too tech) but also some park so am looking for a solid in between wheel. I’m riding an 8.5 with venture 5.8s, and am around 170. Was skating F4 52mm radials but they’ve worn down to be too small to ride any ramps. Switched back to my older 54mm tablets for the time being and found I really don’t like how slow and draggy they felt. I’m down to play with different brands and shapes too. Anyone got any recs? If you’d wanna explain why you’re reccing them to me that would be awesome, hopefully I can get a better idea of what I should be looking for.

Lots of brands out there, most of which are much of a muchness (lots even made in the same place) but the two that stand out as far as quality and durability are Spitfire Formula Four and Bones wheels, so depending on where you are, what is available and how much you want to pay, you can either get any other option (usually for less) or get the good stuff - Bones or Spitfires.

Shape does have a lot to do with it, classic / thinner riding surface in rounder shapes are the most common for everything, but as per your radials and tablets, some are more squared off than others too.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3766 on: May 09, 2021, 10:57:55 AM »

97a Spitfire F4s

What was the duro of each set? Perhaps you need a harder wheel depending on what your streets are like? Do you like to grip or slide easy?

In terms of hardness (first being hardest)

Bones STF
OJ Elite (underrated because they are grippy at times)
Ricta (also underrate especially if you like hard wheels that slide)
Spitfire F4 101

topfrog10

« Reply #3767 on: May 09, 2021, 11:20:38 AM »
What was the duro of each set? Perhaps you need a harder wheel depending on what your streets are like? Do you like to grip or slide easy?

In terms of hardness (first being hardest)

Bones STF
OJ Elite (underrated because they are grippy at times)
Ricta (also underrate especially if you like hard wheels that slide)
Spitfire F4 101

the 52mm radials were 99a, the 54mm tablets were 101a. i'm in the bay so the roads can get kinda bumpy and uneven but they're not the worst. i don't do a ton of powerslides, more slappies, chill flat ground, and some park.

Lots of brands out there, most of which are much of a muchness (lots even made in the same place) but the two that stand out as far as quality and durability are Spitfire Formula Four and Bones wheels, so depending on where you are, what is available and how much you want to pay, you can either get any other option (usually for less) or get the good stuff - Bones or Spitfires.

Shape does have a lot to do with it, classic / thinner riding surface in rounder shapes are the most common for everything, but as per your radials and tablets, some are more squared off than others too.

I've always rode spitfire and never had a problem, but do you think based of what i'm looking for I should try bones? Would a rounded and thinner wheel or squared and wider wheel be more ideal for my type of skating? Don't mean to badger with questions, I'm just trying to get a good understanding before I send a new set.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 11:29:19 AM by topfrog10 »

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #3768 on: May 10, 2021, 11:24:07 PM »

I skate shitty pavement all the time so I've tried a lot of the softer wheels. Mini logo hybrids are too soft and don't slide, so I'd say avoid those unless you just want a cruiser wheel in a street shape. Creature/OJ bloodsucker 97a are really good but might be a little bigger than youre used to. If you come across those and are into bigger wheels I definitely recommend them, good balance of comfort and slide.

Overall my favorite softer wheel is definitely the NFG 95a 54mm squares though. They slide like a hard wheel but soak up cracks and hold speed over rough stuff really well. They're nearly impossible to find right now but they're supposed to be releasing more soon.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3769 on: May 10, 2021, 11:47:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Overall my favorite softer wheel is definitely the NFG 95a 54mm squares though. They slide like a hard wheel but soak up cracks and hold speed over rough stuff really well. They're nearly impossible to find right now but they're supposed to be releasing more soon.

Do they perform on par with a Spitfire Soft D 95a?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3770 on: May 11, 2021, 08:28:14 AM »
thought the NFG 95a was noticeably slower than the F4 97a, which makes sense as the spits are obviously harder.
But it was also the NFG Vee shape, super wide contact patch, versus the F4 97a classic shape. But the spits take rough ground so well even still.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #3771 on: May 11, 2021, 09:11:02 AM »
I live in an area with some really, really shitty pavement. It is unpleasant to skate a set of 99s from the house to the waxed curbs. So I bought some 54 mm OJ nomads for skating around my area. My initial impressions are pretty favourable. They roll quite smoothly on the mid-shitty streets, and full shitty streets are no longer unpleasant. They’re not necessarily pleasant, either, but I cannot fault the wheels for that. They handle parking lots and curbs very nicely. The shape of the wheel feels pretty similar to my tablets, and flipping the board felt normal. The wheels don’t feel bouncy, either. Grinding the curb felt totally normal. Nose and tail slides felt good, the wheels did feel a bit sticker than what I am used to at first, but they definitely slide well. I’ve only skated them for a few hours so far, but I am liking them.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

sketchyrider

« Reply #3772 on: May 12, 2021, 09:35:50 AM »
anyone ever actually have trouble with dirty wheels being slippery on slick surfaces, or am i just looking for a reason to baby my new wheels

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #3773 on: May 12, 2021, 09:52:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I skate shitty pavement all the time so I've tried a lot of the softer wheels. Mini logo hybrids are too soft and don't slide, so I'd say avoid those unless you just want a cruiser wheel in a street shape. Creature/OJ bloodsucker 97a are really good but might be a little bigger than youre used to. If you come across those and are into bigger wheels I definitely recommend them, good balance of comfort and slide.

I was looking at OJs in general but they’re sold out in the duros I wanted. You confirmed what someone else said about Mini Logos feeling even softer than stated. I wound up getting a set of Slime Balls 97a 53mm. Gonna keep the NFGs and OJs on my radar though. Kind of itching to build another setup with high trucks and bigger wheels.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3774 on: May 12, 2021, 12:50:26 PM »
How are waywards and Portland wheel company’s ?

I heard good things about wayward but I feel since I’m good with bones why even try another wheel when they’re bones

This is an old one, but looking for any other feedback on PWC (other than being made at Creative, are they still?)

I just ordered a set of REALLY wide 55mms. Should be here tomorrow. Realizing a wider wheel on mini ramp is a good idea for control purposes. I think they're 25.5mm contact!!
https://www.unheardpdx.com/james-martin-55mm/
ok thanks

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3775 on: May 12, 2021, 11:11:37 PM »
Anyone have any opinions on satori? Specifically their 99a stuff
yes

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3776 on: May 13, 2021, 08:31:14 AM »
Expand Quote

I heard good things about wayward but I feel since I’m good with bones why even try another wheel when they’re bones
[close]

This is an old one, but looking for any other feedback on PWC (other than being made at Creative, are they still?)

I just ordered a set of REALLY wide 55mms. Should be here tomorrow. Realizing a wider wheel on mini ramp is a good idea for control purposes. I think they're 25.5mm contact!!

PWC = good dudes, very average wheels. I'd love to support them but after riding F4s, I just can't. You'll likey get a solid set of wheel but the won't be as fast, durable or flat spot resistant as an F4/ Bones.

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #3777 on: May 13, 2021, 11:39:59 PM »
i keep getting chunks taken out of my wheel. The bs crooked grind pinch wheel. Im riding spitfire classics. Its happened before too on other wheles but happen quicker and worse now. Any wheels that this doesnt happen to?

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3778 on: May 14, 2021, 06:38:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

PWC = good dudes, very average wheels. I'd love to support them but after riding F4s, I just can't. You'll likey get a solid set of wheel but the won't be as fast, durable or flat spot resistant as an F4/ Bones.

As always F&F thank you for the feedback!!
ok thanks

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #3779 on: May 14, 2021, 09:12:32 AM »
Is Satori poured by Creative? I've been skating some for the past month and a half and they are performing very good, like surprisingly good.