Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 784721 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #5580 on: August 19, 2022, 01:49:49 AM »
They're these guys in 56mm.

They've discoloured from bright blue to a strange teal greenish colour.

Might just put em on a cruiser and ride around. I don't think I'll be skating them seriously. I like the F4 too much.

*oops image didn't work
Lol took these off my board at start of the year because they were down to 45mmish the texture also changed they looked like those little green soaps

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 611
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #5581 on: August 19, 2022, 07:43:12 AM »
I have a few sets of wheels that are still in shrink wrap.
If I store them somewhere dark and dry, they will still be new for the next 2 years, right?
IG: @flowterspace

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1063
« Reply #5582 on: August 19, 2022, 08:28:20 AM »
I have a few sets of wheels that are still in shrink wrap.
If I store them somewhere dark and dry, they will still be new for the next 2 years, right?

Put ‘‘em the freezer

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5583 on: August 19, 2022, 09:01:54 AM »
I've had wheels in a shoe box for over two years+ and they seemed fine when I finally rode them. But I am curious about shelf life and other people's experiences of 'aged' urethane. If anything they should get a little harder right?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #5584 on: August 19, 2022, 09:22:56 AM »
Probably I'm too dumb to tell the difference but I've mostly ridden old wheels since about 2010 and never really noticed age making a difference.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #5585 on: August 19, 2022, 03:06:52 PM »
I have Spitfires from 1997 on my wife‘s bloard and they are still good.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 980
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5586 on: August 20, 2022, 10:29:41 PM »
Might get some new 97a bones x opinions around the web

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #5587 on: August 21, 2022, 06:15:52 AM »

Saw on the bones Insta they are coming in V5 and V6

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5588 on: August 21, 2022, 07:41:23 AM »
They’re not stopping for anything….

I think there’s a market for a harder version of a wheel that’s soft but skates like a harder wheel…..

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5589 on: August 21, 2022, 08:44:35 AM »

Saw that. I was thinking of going to the event but I think I'll go skateboarding instead.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #5590 on: August 21, 2022, 09:27:41 AM »
If someone in Portland throws some old wheels they don’t want on to exchange for the 97a I’ll buy the 97a off of you if the price is right

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #5591 on: August 21, 2022, 12:08:44 PM »
Also happy to buy someones 97s if they get them. Or trade for some brand new f4s, or whole bunch of the 93/95 prototype wheels or somethin.

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #5592 on: August 21, 2022, 02:25:18 PM »
Also happy to buy someones 97s if they get them. Or trade for some brand new f4s, or whole bunch of the 93/95 prototype wheels or somethin.

I've got some cored 97a protypes. If anyone wants to trade, DM me. 54mm atf hub shape I believe.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5593 on: August 21, 2022, 03:00:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've got some cored 97a protypes. If anyone wants to trade, DM me. 54mm atf hub shape I believe.

Oh I got those exact ones too, also willing to let those go if anyone interested. I imagine those will be completely different to what the production ones are like, since these core 97a prototypes feel ridiculously hard, noticeably harder than a 99a f4

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #5594 on: August 21, 2022, 05:16:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Looks like Nick Boserio is testing the OG combo shape in 56 mm with same width and contact patch as the 60mm hopefully OJ makes enough because these would be a fun set of wheels to skate

[close]

the graphic clearly says 60mm.
Maybe they're 56mm wide?
[close]

Nall messaged him they are gonna be 56 mm also if you zoom in they drew a 56 on the wheel they just reused the graphic
[close]

Have some Orange 56 95a mini combos from a few years ago. Same shape as a 56mm slime ball. Good wheel, for sure. Curious about about the round instead of cross shaped innermost hole. That’s usually on the US made NHS wheels, whereas the squarish cross ones are China.
[close]

I thought I saw somewhere that they still make limited runs of the OG 95a and 97a wheels with the same compound in the same molds and even the same dudes making them as they did way back in the day, but only for those special edition wheels now, with everything else including all the new normal 60mm Slimeballs and Elites being made in China.

They might be some of those ones.

Like this:

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-wheels-c8/ojii-elite-combo-95a-white-skateboard-wheels-60mm-p16656

Was this what you had:

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-wheels-c8/ojii-elite-mini-combo-95a-orange-skateboard-wheels-56mm-p38333

yeah i heard that oj's was made in Virginia until like 2015
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5595 on: August 22, 2022, 09:58:17 AM »
I give up on the dragons. Loosened my axle nuts to have as much play as possible while still having all of the nyloc on the threads.  One powerslide and the wheels were binding up again.

I'm now tempted to try the Ricta 95a with a core.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5596 on: August 22, 2022, 10:04:57 AM »
I give up on the dragons. Loosened my axle nuts to have as much play as possible while still having all of the nyloc on the threads.  One powerslide and the wheels were binding up again.

All speculation: wait for the 95a/97a bones variant.

Not being condescending, but soft wheels have cores for a reason: too much deformation in the bearing seat without them.

What gets me, is surely && or others had something similar happen (tho probably not allowed to talk about it)? Unless your set is defective somehow.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #5597 on: August 22, 2022, 10:17:15 AM »

I've only rolled around a bit but they feel pretty promising. a bit more comfortable without feeling cruiser-y, they revert nice and they did powerslide but I didn't really push them.
I'll try to get on them more tomorrow.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5598 on: August 22, 2022, 10:19:31 AM »
I took the bearings out of my Dragons last night and noticed how easy it was. Just to experiment I put them in with a bearing press, then on a truck and torqued them laterally with my hand. It wasn't super easy but I was able to get them to shift in the wheel and bind up with just hand pressure. Maybe all soft wheels do this or something and I just don't know it cuz I don't ride them, but I found it really surprising how easily the bearings shifted.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5599 on: August 22, 2022, 10:44:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not being condescending, but soft wheels have cores for a reason: too much deformation in the bearing seat without them.

What gets me, is surely && or others had something similar happen (tho probably not allowed to talk about it)? Unless your set is defective somehow.

Talking with a friend who has Dragons, I think I'm just neurotic and I find issues that others might not even care about

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #5600 on: August 22, 2022, 12:40:42 PM »
Generally bones cores are reasonably fit bearings where I’ve found that spits can actually be too small.  I can see though on a softer wheel though where there is a bit of flexion and it can be annoying. 

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5601 on: August 22, 2022, 02:15:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Talking with a friend who has Dragons, I think I'm just neurotic and I find issues that others might not even care about

Yeah I've had my issues with dragons and all these other bones prototype wheels, but the bearing seat deformation is not one of them, all have felt fine core or no core

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5602 on: August 22, 2022, 02:46:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I think I'm just neurotic and I find issues that others might not even care about

We know you are, because we are too.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1372
« Reply #5603 on: August 22, 2022, 03:03:01 PM »
Starting to fiend for Dragons. The ground is hella rough out here in the Canadian prairies, and I live downtown and close to a variety of cutty street spots that I want to skate, so they seem ideal.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1098
« Reply #5604 on: August 22, 2022, 03:42:34 PM »
I took the bearings out of my Dragons last night and noticed how easy it was. Just to experiment I put them in with a bearing press, then on a truck and torqued them laterally with my hand. It wasn't super easy but I was able to get them to shift in the wheel and bind up with just hand pressure. Maybe all soft wheels do this or something and I just don't know it cuz I don't ride them, but I found it really surprising how easily the bearings shifted.

Soft wheels usually do this, which is why most of the good ones have solid plastic or aluminum cores. I expect if you removed you bearings often you might mess up the hole, but I’ve never messed around enough to find out.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

JRainey

• Rep: 3
« Reply #5605 on: August 24, 2022, 06:51:32 AM »
Throwing in my 2c.

I'm a "skate-around" street skater in a small town in the alps. No skatepark, no waxed curbs, hardly any "spots", but the ones that exist are carefully guarded by shitty ground. Pretty much riding all asphalt, but there's a little brick, stone, and cobblestone.

Normally riding F4 CF 99a 56mm (down to 54-53). I tried a pair of the same wheel in 97a and liked the roll on rough ground, but thought they were slow on smooth asphalt and too grippy. The way the 99a's roll on smooth asphalt is delicious.

My normal session consists of skating around on streets and sidewalks (up, down, over, flat gaps) on the way to a smooth flatground spot, then cruise home in the same style. I'll blast through some grinds here and there, but no nose/tail/blunt slides. I'm not scared of super crusty ground on 99a, but i'm usually limited to reserved, mellow ollie/nollie as the rough ground fucks you balance on pop.

Dragon 56mm V6:

Shape:
Shape is nice, wide as CF but narrower contact patch. No adjustments on weight or anything. 

Roll:
These are not a cruiser wheel. They ride well over the really rough stuff, but you know you're still on rough stuff. But smoother and easier to pop without thinking about the ground snatching your board as you go weightless. A 78a wide cruiser wheel would feel much nicer than these (but fuck that). These are still slow on this stuff. They aren't gonna open up a cobblestone spot for you. Maybe landing, but no way on roll up.

On kinda smooth ashpalt they are probably the most noticeable. You can still feel some vibes, but faster and can pop without a thought.

Really smooth asphalt, this is the most important to me because I love that 25% of my sesh on this stuff, they are just as fast as the 99a F4. This is where I bailed on the 97a F4. These probably benefit from the narrower contact patch on really smooth. On the glassiest asphalt (worked by car wheels for years) these were maybe 5% slower. Not a deal breaker.

Tricks:
No change. I can skirk out bs 180s if I choose to, with maybe a titch more grab on touch down. That's all I really need. Was able to do kickflips in rougher spots I'd never done before because those are more fore/aft sensitive for me and balance would get thrown off on 99a. I'm not a huge power slider, but these were a whole new thing, will be fun to play around. Felt like a slick skatepark on asphalt.

Where they really made a difference was making rougher features more skateable. Banks, bumps, curb cut, volcanoed manhole covers all exist in rough or cracked form. So my day was much more playful, and could hit these things without worry. Even got a personal NBD allie-oop bs 180 off a curb cut.

We have a new mini ramp which is like weather-treated masonite, it wasn't slippery.

Noise:
They are a little less loud rolling, which I like because when it's really rough it's normally deafening. They barked just fine on asphalt and I never heard that weird whishing sound I've been hearing in people's videos. And if I come down hard on all four wheels, it's still loud as fuck. Glad I can still annoy the neighbors.

Bad:
They are bouncy when you drop the board down, so you gotta chase it. Or if you don't put your feet on a flip trick, the rebound caused a few snake bites.  I didn't notice any issue with pop timing or quality.

So for someone who doesn't like to ride a bike or walk to any spots and enjoys staying on the board 100% of the time these wheels are great. In the same vein as the F4 97a, but just a little better rolling and more forgiveness on breaking traction.

Until we get a skatepark, I'm just rocking these and probably won't even try the bones x because these are fast enough on my preferred smooth spots.

MxsDx

• Rep: 93
« Reply #5606 on: August 27, 2022, 03:46:23 PM »
Does anyone know where Acid Chemical Co wheels are poured? Are they made at Creative or elsewhere? Also, anyone know the difference between their Type A and REM formulas?

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #5607 on: August 27, 2022, 04:09:09 PM »
Does anyone know where Acid Chemical Co wheels are poured? Are they made at Creative or elsewhere? Also, anyone know the difference between their Type A and REM formulas?

Acid pours their own wheels in San Diego(?), IIRC. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5608 on: August 28, 2022, 06:27:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Acid pours their own wheels in San Diego(?), IIRC. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Correct.

Been skating 101a Ricta of late; hard, slidey and barky. Switch it up to 101a classics....and felt slow and dead board/soggy feeling.

Slid just fine but was kinda surprised how soft the board felt (with TI indys, dry af swiss 6 w/lots of play, and a crispy new R7 deck).

Glad I didn't pick up the 93a Dragoogoobers.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5609 on: August 28, 2022, 07:54:16 PM »
Expand Quote
any word on the bones experimental wheel release?
[close]

latest news was this i believe?

Expand Quote
Bones X Formula 95 and 97 now pushed until October.  V5 shape in the drop.

Source: Kam at SkateOne
[close]

from insta: 97a Launching Nov 1st