Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778624 times)

Buster_Poosey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #5610 on: August 28, 2022, 08:19:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Does anyone know where Acid Chemical Co wheels are poured? Are they made at Creative or elsewhere? Also, anyone know the difference between their Type A and REM formulas?
[close]

Acid pours their own wheels in San Diego(?), IIRC. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

These wheels are poured in Oceanside Ca. The wheels are really good. I couldn’t tell you the difference between the REM formula and the type A, but I’ve skated both over the years and they are legit

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #5611 on: August 28, 2022, 08:33:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
any word on the bones experimental wheel release?
[close]

latest news was this i believe?

Expand Quote
Bones X Formula 95 and 97 now pushed until October.  V5 shape in the drop.

Source: Kam at SkateOne
[close]
[close]

from insta: 97a Launching Nov 1st

95a coming out before that or at the same time?
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #5612 on: August 28, 2022, 09:05:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
any word on the bones experimental wheel release?
[close]

latest news was this i believe?

Expand Quote
Bones X Formula 95 and 97 now pushed until October.  V5 shape in the drop.

Source: Kam at SkateOne
[close]
[close]

from insta: 97a Launching Nov 1st
[close]

95a coming out before that or at the same time?

Everything I’ve seen has been all about the 97s, haven’t seen anything about the 95s…could have missed something tho.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5613 on: August 28, 2022, 11:07:22 PM »
In a strange twist of events…they are also releasing a 101 that skates like a 78a cruiser wheel….

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #5614 on: August 29, 2022, 12:13:37 AM »
Took the 56mm Dragons out again, this time to the park in Hood River where the transition stuff is smooth concrete and the flat parts are toothy blacktop with that stupid sealant on top that makes decent asphalt feel hard and rough. I took NFG 95s here last time and those were still shitty and unbearably slow on the blacktop. The Dragons ate it up, though. Felt grippy on the concrete but easily scooted into a barky slide, and they handled the rough stuff with speed and a satisfying ride. Still hit or miss on angle iron and metal coping, but it’s nothing you can’t adjust to.

I stand by my initial review; these do what Keyframes do but much better, and they slide pretty well, too.

Lazyskater

• Rep: 5
« Reply #5615 on: August 29, 2022, 06:15:58 AM »
Does anyone know where Acid Chemical Co wheels are poured? Are they made at Creative or elsewhere? Also, anyone know the difference between their Type A and REM formulas?

I believe the rem is just a mix of their 99 and 101

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5616 on: August 29, 2022, 07:32:39 AM »
In a strange twist of events…they are also releasing a 101 that skates like a 78a cruiser wheel….

My brain read this in the voice of David Letterman and Jay Leno at the same time.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #5617 on: August 29, 2022, 10:29:29 AM »
Took the 56mm Dragons out again, this time to the park in Hood River where the transition stuff is smooth concrete and the flat parts are toothy blacktop with that stupid sealant on top that makes decent asphalt feel hard and rough. I took NFG 95s here last time and those were still shitty and unbearably slow on the blacktop. The Dragons ate it up, though. Felt grippy on the concrete but easily scooted into a barky slide, and they handled the rough stuff with speed and a satisfying ride. Still hit or miss on angle iron and metal coping, but it’s nothing you can’t adjust to.

I stand by my initial review; these do what Keyframes do but much better, and they slide pretty well, too.
Damn was just going to ask how did they compare to Keyframes. Keyframes have been my go to filming/cruiser wheels for the past like 6 years.  Love how they ride but would love for them to slide, especially when skating around hills and shit and not being able to powerslide. Seems like this post has just made me want to get these.

MxsDx

• Rep: 90
« Reply #5618 on: August 29, 2022, 11:54:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I believe the rem is just a mix of their 99 and 101

Thanks for all the responses.  I picked up 53 mm REM (101 duro) and have only had one park session on them, but first impressions were solid. Coming off f4 99 (my gold standard) these felt fast and had a nice bark. Not sure if it will be enough to pull me away from spits long term, but so far so good. 

Radim

• Rep: 12
« Reply #5619 on: August 30, 2022, 03:32:28 AM »
any hints which wheels work adequate in plywood indoor skatepark?
currently skating there on my cruiser board with 86a Rictas, but I miss a bit of slide to be honest.
FF 99a or STF 99a from my street setup are crazy slippery.
Fountain of Youth since 1995. Thank you Skateboarding!

Creature 8.0 - Venture 5.2 - F4 52/99a

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #5620 on: August 30, 2022, 04:21:28 AM »
currently skating there on my cruiser board with 86a Rictas, but I miss a bit of slide to be honest.

97a formula fours
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #5621 on: August 30, 2022, 04:38:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

97a formula fours

I concur
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 652
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5622 on: August 30, 2022, 07:27:04 AM »
tried my friend 90a Rat Bones wheels and i can do noseslide, powerslide on them fine on really fucking shit ground
Curious to see what the difference would be between these and the Dragons, i actually really like the way these skated but did feel a bit heavy for flip tricks
ONTARIO CANADA

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5623 on: August 30, 2022, 12:47:54 PM »
I had no clue Acid was from SD. I asked 2 SD shops about them and no one in the shop had ever ridden them.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5624 on: August 30, 2022, 05:03:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

97a formula fours
[close]

I concur

It really depends on the exact surface material of the indoor parks, but more than that, how well it is cleaned, cause some indoor parks will have a fairly normal surface, but when covered in dust and whatever else, those things become like an ice rink.

The 97s I have were still pretty damn slippery on the indoor parks / ramps here, with me having to go down to 95 to get a little more grip (such as Mini logo wheels) but even the 90 duro Powell / Mini logo wheels were way better than I thought on those surfaces - I could still grip but they were super fast, unlike other softer wheels I had tried on the same ramps - and they could slide well enough to make the slippery wood surface feel more like normal raw concrete on 99 duro wheels, if that makes sense.

The 97s definitely were better than the 99s on other panted skateparks and wooden ramps and I know others swear by them as being the best option for those surfaces.

tried my friend 90a Rat Bones wheels and i can do noseslide, powerslide on them fine on really fucking shit ground
Curious to see what the difference would be between these and the Dragons, i actually really like the way these skated but did feel a bit heavy for flip tricks

What size did you try?

I have some 90 duro wheels in a few sizes, more for ramp and transition skating, so bigger than average, but I know they make them in smaller sizes too.

Powell and Mini logo felt like the exact same wheel in the same duro, which makes sense - same overall company, just where they were made was the only difference, as well as the price.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Buster_Poosey

• Rep: 7
« Reply #5625 on: August 30, 2022, 09:42:41 PM »
I had no clue Acid was from SD. I asked 2 SD shops about them and no one in the shop had ever ridden them.

I think you’d be pleasantly surprised how good these wheels are. They are also way cheaper than the other big name wheel companies. Spitfires are damn near $50!!

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5626 on: August 31, 2022, 01:12:16 AM »
Had my first issue with the Dragon 93as. I was at the end of my skate session walking home and I just happened to look down and I see a nut and washer on the ground and I go... "I wonder what that fell off of". I look at my deck and of course it fell off of the board I was holding lol.

I take a closer look, and the bearing on the inside edge of my front wheel had popped out of the wheel, and somehow that made the nut come off my truck? I hope my bearings aren't fucked because of this.

Its weird because that didn't happen a single time with the pre-production ones (nor these before this time) and I've been skating these for a solid 3+ months straight at this point I think? I guess I just have to remember to check and make sure the bearings are secure every once in a while.

Besides that, I've still been loving these things. Still my favorite wheel I've ever skated hands down.

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #5627 on: August 31, 2022, 08:21:04 AM »
I take a closer look, and the bearing on the inside edge of my front wheel had popped out of the wheel, and somehow that made the nut come off my truck? I hope my bearings aren't fucked because of this.

Do you have a pic? I'm having a hard time imagining what this looked like

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 652
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5628 on: August 31, 2022, 08:56:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

97a formula fours
[close]

I concur
[close]

It really depends on the exact surface material of the indoor parks, but more than that, how well it is cleaned, cause some indoor parks will have a fairly normal surface, but when covered in dust and whatever else, those things become like an ice rink.

The 97s I have were still pretty damn slippery on the indoor parks / ramps here, with me having to go down to 95 to get a little more grip (such as Mini logo wheels) but even the 90 duro Powell / Mini logo wheels were way better than I thought on those surfaces - I could still grip but they were super fast, unlike other softer wheels I had tried on the same ramps - and they could slide well enough to make the slippery wood surface feel more like normal raw concrete on 99 duro wheels, if that makes sense.

The 97s definitely were better than the 99s on other panted skateparks and wooden ramps and I know others swear by them as being the best option for those surfaces.

Expand Quote
[close]

What size did you try?

I have some 90 duro wheels in a few sizes, more for ramp and transition skating, so bigger than average, but I know they make them in smaller sizes too.

Powell and Mini logo felt like the exact same wheel in the same duro, which makes sense - same overall company, just where they were made was the only difference, as well as the price.

they were probably like a 58 or 60mm

i personally like 95a on smooth transitions i find its perfect balance of slide + grip
ONTARIO CANADA

Radim

• Rep: 12
« Reply #5629 on: September 01, 2022, 01:32:28 AM »

well our park is a bit dusty and at the same time some of the wooden parts "shine" being so much polished and worn out from the skating.
I am wondering that something in range of 90-92a should be a best match.
Fountain of Youth since 1995. Thank you Skateboarding!

Creature 8.0 - Venture 5.2 - F4 52/99a

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5630 on: September 01, 2022, 01:45:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you have a pic? I'm having a hard time imagining what this looked like

Basically the one bearing just came out of the wheel, but was still on the axel of the truck. Rather than it being within the wheel's bearing seat, it was next to the wheel. Then after that, somehow the pressure of the wheel/bearing rotating against the nut had enough friction/force to loosen the nut.

The bearing on the opposite side of the nut was the one that slipped out of the wheel. I could see this scenario potentially fucking up either of the bearings involved though. I'm not sure what could have caused the bearing to slip out even, I was doing some really low impact skating. It was great weather too, not hot enough to affect the wheel's urethane in any way.

Either way, its only happened once, I'll just have to pay more attention to making everything is secure I guess. If that's the only issue these things have, its more than worth dealing with.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 01:52:35 AM by FuzzGNU »

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #5631 on: September 01, 2022, 08:17:37 AM »
Took Dragons, SPF, STF 103 and F4 101 and did an uncientific speed test at a very smooth skatepark, and a rolling distance test on nice asphalt.

Speed test: Roll in from one spot with no push.  No pumps and see how long it takes to get to a particular spot on the other end.  Multiple runs per wheel. Times were between 17 and 18.5 seconds.  SPF were the fastest by about a second, averaging around 17.25.   The other three all rolled very close with the averages all being around 18.1-18.2, which given the methodology I would say are all close enough.

Distance Test:  Roll in from a spot in the concrete skatepark that feeds to the entrance, which has a long and very slightly uphill asphalt path. Asphalt is in good shape and only about 4 years old.  Distance rolled on the asphalt was between around 80 and 110 feet.  Dragons were the absolute clear winner here at around 110, with the F4 being second at 88ish.  SPF suprisingly rolled about 84 and the STF were last at 80ish. 

This is very unscientific.  I didn't have the same bearings in each and I could have run a lot more samples.  I did it because I was curious how much slower the Dragons were at my usual skatepark than the SPFs, and then I also ran the F4/STF just because I had them with me as well. I expected the STF and F4 to be about midway in speed between the SPF and Dragons.  I was super surprised that the Dragons were giving me times almost identical to the 103 and 101 wheels at this park because the silence of them and lack of chatter makes me feel like I'm going slower. The feedback I have had for years just isn't there.

I bought the Dragons over a month ago and have only skated them a few times because they are very different feeling and I thought I was going slower than I actually am at the park I skate most often.  I will probably skate them more now and try to get used to them because they absolutely are faster outside the park and it would be nice to stop driving around with 3-4 boards in my car.

The wheel/bearing combos used:
56mm SPF P5 with Bones Swiss 6 that are a few years old, but cleaned recently. Wheels are at 55mm now.
55mm STF 103 V5 with Daddies ceramics that are 2 years old.  Still sound clean, but performance today was lacking
54mm F4 101 Conicals with Quantum Atom ceramics that were recently cleaned
54mm Dragons V1 with Big Balls Reds.  Newest, but cheapest bearings of the bunch.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5632 on: September 01, 2022, 10:36:57 AM »
I did the same test on cement and asphalt, same bearings in each wheel, with spinning by hand timed as well to make sure the bearing press didn't introduce a confounder.

Dragons faster on asphalt by about 10 feet, F499 faster on a skatepark by almost 20. F4 were worn to 52.2 and Dragons were brand new at 54.

aiden

« Reply #5633 on: September 02, 2022, 11:52:04 AM »
always wanted conical wheels, so a while back i picked up some 55mm acid pods. i only got them because they were the only conicals in the shop, but they actually turned out really solid. don't know if they're actively making them anymore which sucks.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #5634 on: September 04, 2022, 07:09:53 PM »
Has anybody had both 55mm mini super juices and 60mm super juices (the OJ 78a one)? I have the 60mm ones and wonder how much of a hit in speed/smooth roll I'd take if I got the 55mm. Wanna set them up on a small cruiser I just got.

Also anybody have any experience with 78a Slime Balls, or Acid Jelly Shots compared to OJ Super juices?

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #5635 on: September 04, 2022, 10:43:56 PM »
Has anybody had both 55mm mini super juices and 60mm super juices (the OJ 78a one)? I have the 60mm ones and wonder how much of a hit in speed/smooth roll I'd take if I got the 55mm. Wanna set them up on a small cruiser I just got.

I have. They’re narrower, lighter, and more practical if you want to do more than just cruise. If you pair them up with decent bearings they should be fast enough
fuck you bama

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #5636 on: September 05, 2022, 02:35:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I have. They’re narrower, lighter, and more practical if you want to do more than just cruise. If you pair them up with decent bearings they should be fast enough

Thanks thats good to hear. Do you notice the 60mm being significantly better in terms of rolling for longer, being faster etc?

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #5637 on: September 05, 2022, 10:00:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Thanks thats good to hear. Do you notice the 60mm being significantly better in terms of rolling for longer, being faster etc?
i had the 60’s set up on my filming board with bones Swiss ceramics. That combo is always going to feel pretty fast and roll far. It was real easy to not have to push. The 55’s I had with bones reds. It was a fast enough combo, but not nearly the same. If speed is your only concern then go with the 60’s
fuck you bama

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #5638 on: September 08, 2022, 11:46:39 AM »
OJs dual duro has entered the chat.

Looks like 101 outer duro and a 95 inner duro

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5639 on: September 08, 2022, 11:55:23 AM »
OJs dual duro has entered the chat.

Looks like 101 outer duro and a 95 inner duro

These are interesting, I'm looking forward to potentially trying a set. I haven't ever liked OJ urethane though so I don't have very high hopes but it will still be cool to try. Wouldn't you want the harder durometer on the inside though? that way you can slide your wheel better for smith grinds and crooked grinds and all that. Perhaps I'll run them flipped inside out

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?