Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1089966 times)

LewFarrell

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 58
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11400 on: June 21, 2022, 08:09:12 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CeFYBhmo-hL/

These guys randomly followed me on Instagram. Wild looking tucks, like someone made them on Dall.e. The hanger is half Indy half Tensor, the baseplate is grindking-esque with a built in bushing cup and bones??? Not sure what to make of it, I wonder if anyone has seen this design before as maybe it's like just a generic cheap Alibaba truck.

IpathCats

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -148
« Reply #11401 on: June 21, 2022, 08:13:30 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CeFYBhmo-hL/

These guys randomly followed me on Instagram. Wild looking tucks, like someone made them on Dall.e. The hanger is half Indy half Tensor, the baseplate is grindking-esque with a built in bushing cup and bones??? Not sure what to make of it, I wonder if anyone has seen this design before as maybe it's like just a generic cheap Alibaba truck.

Whatever they are, they need to stop.
.....Nah

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
« Reply #11402 on: June 21, 2022, 09:56:11 AM »
thundependent

Vintagebody

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
« Reply #11403 on: June 21, 2022, 01:16:00 PM »
Looks like Thunder is really testing IKP. Ben Degros is shredding some?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTf2iGinC2s

LebowskisRug

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 86
« Reply #11404 on: June 21, 2022, 02:17:23 PM »
Which trucks work best with mellow decks and steep decks?

DarkPools

• Rep: 166
  • Slamma Jamma
« Reply #11405 on: June 21, 2022, 02:24:53 PM »
Which trucks work best with mellow decks and steep decks?

If this is in reference to the kicks, I read/understood this:

Mellow = taller trucks. Indy, Venture Hi, maybe Ace

Steep = lower trucks. Thunder, Royals, Venture Lo, Ace Lo

Let's add in the space (fingers of flat) between the kick and the bolta and then more madness comes in to find the sweet spot. I'm not sure if shorter or longer WB are better for mellow or steeper kicks.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11406 on: June 21, 2022, 05:18:55 PM »

Nice find.

I guess it is not so much a secret as others have been seen with them, but here is a screen shot, looking pretty normal really.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

hobochimp

• Rep: 144
« Reply #11407 on: June 21, 2022, 05:26:39 PM »
I know Iíve seen/heard rumors of an Indy stage 12. Not sure if I believe itís happening any time so yet, but I do have one interesting thing Iíve noticed. I donít know his last name, Terrill J. Who skates Indy and Nike sb flow and I think FA/Hockey flow too has been skating some mysterious trucks on his stories recently. Iíve noticed them on and off and since heís skated these mystery trucks Heís been on Indy trips so heís still definitely on Indy. Iíll attach some screenshots and his Instagram. He doesnít have any hard posts of him with the trucks. Just something I found interesting. Been following him for a little bit. Dude seems like heís got a good future in skating.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CbROIc_L3-Y/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 445
« Reply #11408 on: June 21, 2022, 06:51:46 PM »
I know Iíve seen/heard rumors of an Indy stage 12. Not sure if I believe itís happening any time so yet, but I do have one interesting thing Iíve noticed. I donít know his last name, Terrill J. Who skates Indy and Nike sb flow and I think FA/Hockey flow too has been skating some mysterious trucks on his stories recently. Iíve noticed them on and off and since heís skated these mystery trucks Heís been on Indy trips so heís still definitely on Indy. Iíll attach some screenshots and his Instagram. He doesnít have any hard posts of him with the trucks. Just something I found interesting. Been following him for a little bit. Dude seems like heís got a good future in skating.

That person does rip.
The screenshots look like a cutdown 215. Which would be sick.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 465
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #11409 on: June 21, 2022, 09:44:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That person does rip.

Clips kinda look like an older stage?

Pics def have a 215 look to them. It's odd Indy doesn't use the 101 or 215 hanger shape for regs...unless they just don't hold up to the rigors of today's street skating? All they need to do is trim that yoke down to be competitive on weight.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11410 on: June 22, 2022, 06:38:20 AM »

Without seeing the updated replies, I was going to say the same thing.

Looks like a 215 in the build in a normal size truck width, in much the same way as some others had cut down 215s to smaller sizes, so I think if anything that might be the next stage if they did one, all in that shape.

Screenshot super close up might be a bit redundant now, but here it is anyway.

I would also refer to two pages in this thread, 89 and 335 with info and pics on 215s cut down, the video especially.  Some of you were there as well in the first round of fun on page 89.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg2685431#msg2685431

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3535659#msg3535659

IpathCats

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11411 on: June 22, 2022, 06:45:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nice find.

I guess it is not so much a secret as others have been seen with them, but here is a screen shot, looking pretty normal really.

Why not just add some baseplate too and fix both of the major issues with thunders in one go? 1/8"-1/4" extra baseplate would make a world of difference. I'm slowly getting used to it on my thunders, really enjoying them otherwise. but it just seems unnecessary, serves no purpose having it so short. Is there a benefit to the short baseplate that im missing?
.....Nah

Paperclip20

• Rep: 75
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #11412 on: June 22, 2022, 07:52:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Nice find.

[close]

Why not just add some baseplate too and fix both of the major issues with thunders in one go? 1/8"-1/4" extra baseplate would make a world of difference. I'm slowly getting used to it on my thunders, really enjoying them otherwise. but it just seems unnecessary, serves no purpose having it so short. Is there a benefit to the short baseplate that im missing?

Probably weight savings and also the baseplate really doesn't make a difference unless you're skating a perfect ledge. Even then a bit of wax on the side clears that up.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Rep: 198
  • What the fucks up Dennys
« Reply #11413 on: June 22, 2022, 08:51:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Nice find.

[close]

I would argue some people don't think it needs to be "fixed", some people prefer to slide against the wheels on thunders as opposed to against the baseplate on other trucks. Might give them more control like a powerslide. i can't relate because I suck and can't slide very well on anything, but having recently switched to thunders there was a bit of a learning curve but now i'm pretty used to it. Changing hardware can be annoying though.
Y'alls bloodlines are weak and history will not remember you

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 95
« Reply #11414 on: June 22, 2022, 09:54:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

That person does rip.
[close]

Pics def have a 215 look to them. It's odd Indy doesn't use the 101 or 215 hanger shape for regs...unless they just don't hold up to the rigors of today's street skating? All they need to do is trim that yoke down to be competitive on weight.

I said fuck it and sent a DM. Iíll let you guys know if he responds.

hobochimp

• Rep: 144
« Reply #11415 on: June 22, 2022, 03:31:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

That person does rip.
[close]

[close]

I said fuck it and sent a DM. Iíll let you guys know if he responds.

Same here. Been a few days

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11416 on: June 22, 2022, 05:11:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

That person does rip.
[close]

Agree clips look like an older indy

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 567
    • Foulweather avatar image
« Reply #11417 on: June 22, 2022, 06:16:41 PM »
Whatever trucks he's on appear to be working very well.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11418 on: June 22, 2022, 11:03:18 PM »
Whatever trucks he's on appear to be working very well.

When that person is skating, they make it look very good. Very good.

IpathCats

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11419 on: June 23, 2022, 10:31:19 AM »

I would argue some people don't think it needs to be "fixed", some people prefer to slide against the wheels on thunders as opposed to against the baseplate on other trucks. Might give them more control like a powerslide. i can't relate because I suck and can't slide very well on anything, but having recently switched to thunders there was a bit of a learning curve but now i'm pretty used to it. Changing hardware can be annoying though.

I've never heard anyone say they prefer it. Only that its manageable, which it is. It's not a deal breaker, I just dont understand why they wouldnt want to improve it. unless there is a silent thunder majority out there who loves waxing the side of ledges and having to try harder for nose/tail slides.
.....Nah

Paperclip20

• Rep: 75
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #11420 on: June 23, 2022, 11:46:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've never heard anyone say they prefer it. Only that its manageable, which it is. It's not a deal breaker, I just dont understand why they wouldnt want to improve it. unless there is a silent thunder majority out there who loves waxing the side of ledges and having to try harder for nose/tail slides.

I prefer it honestly. It feels more consistent to me.  I just hate wheelbite otherwise I would probably stick with thunder.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Rep: 198
  • What the fucks up Dennys
« Reply #11421 on: June 23, 2022, 11:56:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I prefer it honestly. It feels more consistent to me.  I just hate wheelbite otherwise I would probably stick with thunder.

Paperclip just said it. Also Ishod I think.
Y'alls bloodlines are weak and history will not remember you

IpathCats

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11422 on: June 23, 2022, 11:58:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Paperclip just said it. Also Ishod I think.

well color me surprised. I'm an ishod stan, not aware of him saying it though.
.....Nah

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 514
  • the moon rules
« Reply #11423 on: June 23, 2022, 12:04:31 PM »
I think it comes down to what youíre actually trying to slide across. I definitely slide my baseplates on noseslides and tailslides

fuck you bama

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 806
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11424 on: June 23, 2022, 12:11:25 PM »
Untitled by
I literally never even thought about thunder baseplates inhibiting contact with the ledge. Here is mine and I don't really tail/nose slide rails except for the occasional blunt. Mostly ledges of all types, sharp corners, rounded, etc. Don't notice a difference. Skating aces now and also not noticing anything different with slides. I can also just be clueless. My most used wheels with these were 54mm conical fulls.

IpathCats

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11425 on: June 23, 2022, 12:23:15 PM »
Untitled by
I literally never even thought about thunder baseplates inhibiting contact with the ledge. Here is mine and I don't really tail/nose slide rails except for the occasional blunt. Mostly ledges of all types, sharp corners, rounded, etc. Don't notice a difference. Skating aces now and also not noticing anything different with slides. I can also just be clueless. My most used wheels with these were 54mm conical fulls.

I do lots of nose/tail/blunt slides. its def a factor. I have marks on my thunder baseplates too. again, its not a deal breaker, and the tradeoffs are worth it to me, im skating well on these thunders lately. The trick i notice it MOST on is bluntslides on rails. all you hear are wheel sounds on thunder. on venture/ace/indy/lurp you could really get right on that baseplate and get some serious distance, and it sounded like a grind, all baseplate.
.....Nah

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 806
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11426 on: June 23, 2022, 12:29:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Untitled by
[close]

I do lots of nose/tail/blunt slides. its def a factor. I have marks on my thunder baseplates too. again, its not a deal breaker, and the tradeoffs are worth it to me, im skating well on these thunders lately. The trick i notice it MOST on is bluntslides on rails. all you hear are wheel sounds on thunder. on venture/ace/indy/lurp you could really get right on that baseplate and get some serious distance, and it sounded like a grind, all baseplate.
Ok yeah I think its my lack of awareness. I don't think they will do anything about it though. I would be down for the tweak but the investment vs new customers gained probably wouldn't be significant enough for dlx.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11427 on: June 23, 2022, 05:00:21 PM »

Sure some people want the Thunder baseplates extended, but the guys that ride them professionally seem to be happy with them just the way they are and if you change something they have been used to for a long time, then things get really weird all round.

From that perspective, I would say there is definitely not going to be a change in the length of the Thunder baseplates any time soon, especially if what had been rumour of Ishod testing some new versions but liking the regular ones more was true, but that was more speculation I think.

Everyone can choose which trucks they like to ride too, but I can understand some people like the feel of Thunder but want a longer baseplate.  Not much to really do about it other than weld some extra metal on if you are so keen.  That would be an interesting post on Fuckwithyourtrucks instagram account.

https://www.instagram.com/fuckwithyourtrucks/

* Just in case anyone hadn't seen it.

IpathCats

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11428 on: June 23, 2022, 06:27:47 PM »

Everyone can choose which trucks they like to ride too, but I can understand some people like the feel of Thunder but want a longer baseplate.  Not much to really do about it other than weld some extra metal on if you are so keen.  That would be an interesting post on Fuckwithyourtrucks instagram account.

https://www.instagram.com/fuckwithyourtrucks/

* Just in case anyone hadn't seen it.

From this a new standard of madness will emerge
.....Nah

juniormint

• Rep: 60
« Reply #11429 on: June 23, 2022, 06:49:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Agreed. I donít think itís a problem, I find it advantageous.  Feels like it ďlocks inĒ better on slides for me.