Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1227189 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9870 on: March 10, 2021, 01:11:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone with inverted kingpin experience know if JB Weld puddy is the only stuff that works? Or is there any type of glue that you can just squirt all around the nut and it works the same? Like Gorilla Glue or something like that.
[close]

I wouldn't use anything else. Gorilla Glue is just super glue with some urethane compound added to it for flexibility, but I wouldn't trust that shit to hold a teapot together let alone a skate truck. Other people super glue their kingpin nut on so.... I guess it depends on how much risk you're willing to take. Once CA glue cracks it's dust.

JB weld is high temp epoxy, so you could theoretically use another brand of high temp, 2-part epoxy, but you wouldn't be saving cash or anything. Is it an availability thing?

JB Weld > any super glue. That said, I've had JB weld crack freeing up the kingpin nut.

Diocletian

« Reply #9871 on: March 10, 2021, 01:48:07 PM »
Thanks for the info fellas. I have some Ace 44's that are close to axle that are really catching on my kingpin, so I thought about putting in a Krux downlow. I've always been apprehensive with the JB Weld because when it comes to even simple DIY stuff like that I always screw shit up. So I figured if I could just squirt a bunch of glue around it and be done, that would be stupid-proof for someone like me.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #9872 on: March 10, 2021, 02:11:24 PM »
Thanks for the info fellas. I have some Ace 44's that are close to axle that are really catching on my kingpin, so I thought about putting in a Krux downlow. I've always been apprehensive with the JB Weld because when it comes to even simple DIY stuff like that I always screw shit up. So I figured if I could just squirt a bunch of glue around it and be done, that would be stupid-proof for someone like me.

Understood. JB weld is about one step above idiot-proof. Could always practice first, JB weld a spare nut to a 2x4 or something, get a feel for the process, and the set time and all that.

And Xen's right, JB Weld can still fail, but I've used it to (temporarily) fix a cracked head gasket on an old truck, so it's pretty tough. 

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9873 on: March 10, 2021, 04:49:19 PM »

Not trying to say "I know best" but another option is angle grind the kingpin head down some, as per my post in the previous page.  If the nut sits too high to be able to do this, I understand, but I also cut down the top bushings of both trucks (or use the low heads to start with) which gives the same feeling turn on the truck with the nut down 2 to 3 mm, which clears up the kingpin issue for the life of the trucks.  Axle height is about 3 mm lower than the top of the kingpin on some trucks I just use on cruiser boards that have been grinded right down to axle showing and this has meant that even when they are still skated normally, or grind occasionally, they don't hit kingpin.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3517806#msg3517806

I follow a guy on Instagram that has always messed with his Ace trucks putting in the inverted kingpin - posted a few in the Ace thread, so you could check him out and hit him up for anything - rad dude, really.

https://www.instagram.com/pretty_rad/

This post in particular, shows the close up of it

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #9874 on: March 10, 2021, 05:41:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not trying to say "I know best" but another option is angle grind the kingpin head down some, as per my post in the previous page.  If the nut sits too high to be able to do this, I understand, but I also cut down the top bushings of both trucks (or use the low heads to start with) which gives the same feeling turn on the truck with the nut down 2 to 3 mm, which clears up the kingpin issue for the life of the trucks.  Axle height is about 3 mm lower than the top of the kingpin on some trucks I just use on cruiser boards that have been grinded right down to axle showing and this has meant that even when they are still skated normally, or grind occasionally, they don't hit kingpin.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3517806#msg3517806

I follow a guy on Instagram that has always messed with his Ace trucks putting in the inverted kingpin - posted a few in the Ace thread, so you could check him out and hit him up for anything - rad dude, really.

This post in particular, shows the close up of it

Solid option. One I'd go with over fucking with JB weld and knocking out kingpins. That said, that dude's JB Weld game is on point.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9875 on: March 10, 2021, 07:03:59 PM »
not sure if anyone cares, but i'm starting to think lightweight trucks are easier when stomping the tail down, but leveling out the ollie with your front foot takes more effort.

i first noticed it with some old theeve ti-axes, felt like my kickflips needed a karate kick compared to some standard indys. wasn't sure if it was a fluke.

then i set up a deck with some hollow 159s on a whim the other day, and it felt like my ollies stuck to my back foot nice. with 159 titaniums, i do a lot of accidental ollie south kinda deals.

would love to hear anyone else's thoughts on this, i feel the madness brewing.
i do find that with lighter trucks its easier to be lighter on my feet since its less effort to get the board up. im currently using them on heavier boards, a pennswood 8.5 and a bbs 9.125 and it feels balanced overall with the weight in the deck.

having issues with my kickflips on venture hollows, heelflips are better than ever though (more of a kicking motion that my normal "ankle flick" kf). might be some credibility to that front foot theory but im not changing trucks again, rather adjust and focus on my front foot control.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #9876 on: March 10, 2021, 08:28:01 PM »
JB Weld comes in “SteelStik” form that you knead into a play doh sort of consistency that may be a little easier to work with. There’s also epoxy that comes in kind of a syringe with mixing applicator nozzles that might work well. I used regular ol’ jb weld on an old set of Ace base plates and seem to recall the trick is to figure out how to set them so the kingpin is vertical and the schmoo will sort of self level.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9877 on: March 10, 2021, 09:36:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
JB Weld comes in “SteelStik” form that you knead into a play doh sort of consistency that may be a little easier to work with. There’s also epoxy that comes in kind of a syringe with mixing applicator nozzles that might work well. I used regular ol’ jb weld on an old set of Ace base plates and seem to recall the trick is to figure out how to set them so the kingpin is vertical and the schmoo will sort of self level.

I would imagine that old mate as per pics above sets up his trucks pretty much how he would ride them and fix them to something upside down, then put whatever it is in there to set.  By having the truck kingpin set up and sorted first, it should be on the right angle at the right height, etc.

In case anyone asks too, just sit something like a thin piece of metal in the cavity to hold the nut (or even a socket if it will fit) and tighten as per normal from the top.

Had to do this on some old trucks where the old kingpin had caused the space to need something bracing it, which worked well on a new hex head kingpin I replaced it with.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9878 on: March 10, 2021, 11:28:04 PM »
I ride my trucks pretty 'medium' so I guess the number of threads keeps the nut pretty tight.  I've had the nut fall off a couple times but for the most part it stays in place with no glue. 

Definitely worth kicking down and trying it.  Especially because I worry they will d/c the kingpins....

Vinz

• Rep: -11
  • bam margera biggest fan
« Reply #9879 on: March 11, 2021, 12:04:05 PM »
I just got my first pair of bones bushings how should I set them up on my indys? Should I put the included top washer or my indy washers? I want them to last

edit: I know this question was probably asked about 9999 times but I am too lazy to find them :')

Diocletian

« Reply #9880 on: March 11, 2021, 12:34:25 PM »
The flat top Bones washer will still protect the plastic part of the bushing but offer a deeper turn. The cupped stock Indy washer will limit the turn and also possibly dig into the hanger depending on how loose you ride.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #9881 on: March 11, 2021, 01:01:52 PM »
Anyone with inverted kingpin experience know if JB Weld puddy is the only stuff that works? Or is there any type of glue that you can just squirt all around the nut and it works the same? Like Gorilla Glue or something like that.

I am going to echo the other statements here and say that you must absolutely use a two-part epoxy like JB Weld. Anything else is going to fall apart immediately, unless you're talking about some kind of crazy aircraft grade epoxy that you need FAA permits to access. FWIW, I have inverted the kingpins in my Ace and used JB Weld. Worked great
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Fooj

• Rep: 182
« Reply #9882 on: March 11, 2021, 01:38:22 PM »
The flat top Bones washer will still protect the plastic part of the bushing but offer a deeper turn. The cupped stock Indy washer will limit the turn and also possibly dig into the hanger depending on how loose you ride.

Try the top indy washer on the bottom, and use the black bones washer on top. Its a nice combo

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #9883 on: March 11, 2021, 01:44:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I am going to echo the other statements here and say that you must absolutely use a two-part epoxy like JB Weld. Anything else is going to fall apart immediately, unless you're talking about some kind of crazy aircraft grade epoxy that you need FAA permits to access. FWIW, I have inverted the kingpins in my Ace and used JB Weld. Worked great

I think you’re over-exaggerating a bit. My current set of Indy’s w/ DLK’s I used regular super glue to hold the nut in place, then filled the sides up to the top with gel super glue. It’s been holding for a year with no issues or coming loose. I’m sure JB weld would have been ideal, but the super glue gel has been working for me. I actually got that tip to use the super glue gel from a post on here, so others have successfully used it, too. No need for airplane glue that you need permits for. All it needs to do is hold a nut in place enough to tighten your trucks
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 02:01:02 PM by Rubbrick »

Vinz

• Rep: -11
  • bam margera biggest fan
« Reply #9884 on: March 11, 2021, 03:04:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Try the top indy washer on the bottom, and use the black bones washer on top. Its a nice combo
alright thanks brother

Diocletian

« Reply #9885 on: March 12, 2021, 07:26:01 AM »
A washer underneath the bottom Bones bushings in Indy's will throw off the geometry I'm pretty sure. Only use a top washer for the top bushing.

sketchyrider

« Reply #9886 on: March 12, 2021, 07:58:56 AM »
A washer underneath the bottom Bones bushings in Indy's will throw off the geometry I'm pretty sure. Only use a top washer for the top bushing.

I think this is the way. I carefully measured some bones bushings next to indys and the measurements lined up perfectly when the bones had just the top washer.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #9887 on: March 12, 2021, 08:47:41 AM »
Does anyone run a tighter front truck? I know a lot of people do the tighter at the back, looser at the front. I used to do this too but kinda stopped since I skate a lot of switch/fakie so I try have it exactly the same.

I think I could use a bit more stability when setting up for certain switch and nollie tricks, but besides that I do like my current looseness. Tighter at the front and looser at the back sounds weird but maybe it could work? Anyone ever done this before?

edit: did this, definitely helps a little bit, but feels really weird. But doesn't affect performance or anything.

I tried it for a second when I got new trucks but now I’m gonna try again since I’m use to them now! Thanks!

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #9888 on: March 12, 2021, 09:27:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think this is the way. I carefully measured some bones bushings next to indys and the measurements lined up perfectly when the bones had just the top washer.

I measured some bottom bushings with a set of calipers last year and these were my results:

Indy (blue 92a conical) : .545"
Bones (black hard) : .55"
Mini Logo (Soft Green) : .53"
Ace (white out of a 66) : .53"
Thunder (red 90a aftermarket) : .55"

So I run a bottom washer on Indys because they are pretty much exactly the same height as the stock lower. 

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #9889 on: March 12, 2021, 09:51:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I measured some bottom bushings with a set of calipers last year and these were my results:

Indy (blue 92a conical) : .545"
Bones (black hard) : .55"
Mini Logo (Soft Green) : .53"
Ace (white out of a 66) : .53"
Thunder (red 90a aftermarket) : .55"

So I run a bottom washer on Indys because they are pretty much exactly the same height as the stock lower.
I think we need this in mm

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #9890 on: March 12, 2021, 09:58:37 AM »
Indy (blue 92a conical) : 13.85mm
Bones (black hard) : 14mm
Mini Logo (Soft Green) : 13.5mm
Ace (white out of a 66) : 13.5mm
Thunder (red 90a aftermarket) : 14mm

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #9891 on: March 12, 2021, 11:59:01 AM »
IMO I really doubt that it's worth futzing much with the washers to accommodate .5mm. I think it's incredibly unlikely that one would notice such a minor difference
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

sketchyrider

« Reply #9892 on: March 12, 2021, 01:53:49 PM »
if we really wanna talk about futzing with small differences, i swear the center of those bones bushings is taller than the outer rim, unlike indys which are flat throughout

CaderSk8r

• Rep: 19
« Reply #9893 on: March 12, 2021, 02:58:14 PM »
if we really wanna talk about futzing with small differences, i swear the center of those bones bushings is taller than the outer rim, unlike indys which are flat throughout

That’s what gives them their signature turn

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9894 on: March 12, 2021, 06:24:00 PM »
So one thing that a lot of people do not take into consideration is the fact that bushings when new are not the same height as bushings when nicely worn in and used in trucks.

Not only that, but bones bushings have the highest compression ratio, eg they squash down the most of all the bushings, so as much as you might start with bushings at the correct height (14mm or whatever that might be) they often end up squashing down considerably, so end up a few mm less, in which case you need to have the metal washers in there to bring them back up to the specified stock height that the trucks perform best at.

Not worried if people say otherwise, because I have a 100+ cm shoelace with all the blown out and squashed bones bushings from over the years when people have come back to buy more, but I have definitely seen some people blow out bushings a lot faster than others.  This is not based on weight or any specific sort, all three blue soft, yellow mediums and black hard all blow out the same way, but I think I have more mediums on there than any others, but the black ones seem squashed down the most.

Even my favourite old low head Indy aftermarket bushings are about 2mm in total lower now in most of my boards than when new and I don't ride squashed down / tight trucks.

This is why I recommend to people to see what works for them, never just say "You must put this in or leave that out" but I have seen that Bones bushings tend to last the longest when they have metal washers on either side of them, especially after that first break in period without them when they squash down some.

Also there have been bad batches of Bones bushings from time to time too, so some last better than others.

Stlfromca

• Rep: 1
NEXT LEVEL truck madness
« Reply #9895 on: March 12, 2021, 08:26:08 PM »
Fell victim to the madness over the years. I have some stage 8 129's and 139's that had broken kingpins and set aside. Im interested in using these older hangers on the new low kingpin design. Also has anybody ever skated different stage trucks? Like stage 7/rear stage11 front? Haha

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #9896 on: March 18, 2021, 02:17:09 AM »
Are the bushings in Indy standards still inferior to the aftermarket ones?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9897 on: March 18, 2021, 02:55:16 AM »

They are actually really good now, but they are 90 duro (now classed as medium, but that used to be more classed as soft a while back), so if you are not into fairly loose trucks, or want squashed down bushings on tighter trucks, they will work fine and last well.

The aftermarket Indy bushings come in both conical and cylinder as well as super soft to super hard, so pretty much have everything covered, including low heads in the 90 and 92 varieties, if you can find any, that is.

sketchyrider

« Reply #9898 on: March 18, 2021, 07:10:07 AM »
i doubt they make the lows anymore. had to hunt pretty hard for some old stage 9 129 low bushings i use as my beer cruiser.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #9899 on: March 18, 2021, 07:12:28 AM »
Yes