Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 915596 times)

JugeL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -12
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9810 on: January 29, 2021, 04:00:01 AM »
Bones mediums dont freeze, been skating them in freezing parking garages

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #9811 on: January 29, 2021, 04:10:24 AM »
i've realized that it takes about the exact same time for me to warm up as for my bushings to freeze...naturally.

anyone got bushings that that resist freezing??  i'm on stock thunders with an indy super soft top/front.

don't mind the cold (sans wind) otherwise.

I just put some Bones softs in my Indyís for that same reason. Works fine now, no freezing

Scott Chegg

• Rep: 2
« Reply #9812 on: January 29, 2021, 04:24:07 AM »
Put some Indy ultra soft bushings in my thunders and they felt like absolute shit, then I cut the bushings in half and they're feeling pretty good. There is nothing I hate more than breaking in bushings

Paperclip20

• Rep: 29
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #9813 on: January 29, 2021, 05:51:18 AM »
Ace and bones bushings are the only ones that work for me in western NY winters

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #9814 on: January 29, 2021, 08:54:41 AM »
Gnars for y'all. 

I got off bones a few years back because i was continually cracking cores when i got slappy happy.  But guess I'd rather the too turny of a cracked core than the no turn at all of frozen ones. 

Appreciate you.

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #9815 on: February 02, 2021, 09:43:34 AM »
Iíve had a lot of truck madness over the years and have come to the conclusion that Indy forged or Thunder team trucks have the best wheelbase offset/height  to be able to run different decks without creating massive issues. 

On one end of the scale (ace, cast Indy, etc) if you run them with decks with short wheelbases or long tails you can run into issues.

On the other (thunder forged, venture cast or forged) having a long wheelbase or short tails can cause issues.

With Indy forged or thunder cast you can use risers or not depending on concave, kicks, or wheel size.

This only really matters if you have a truck you love vs a deck you love.  If youíre into a certain truck then you have to get decks that work.  If youíre into a certain deck you have to get trucks that work.

If you like to change up your deck and wheels size then those trucks are the best choices (in my opinion).

Also all of the ďissuesĒ are just in our heads and can be overcome by just getting used to it. 

ballintoohard

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -74
« Reply #9816 on: February 02, 2021, 10:04:35 AM »
I concur. I measured my Forged Hollow Indy and Thunder Team and they were extremely close if not identical in WB. If you do the math the slightly lower height of the Thunders offsets the length difference. And both turn pretty similar the way I have them setup to where it comes down to slight preference. If I ran conical bushings on the Indy Iím not sure I would notice

Xen

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #9817 on: February 08, 2021, 03:21:04 PM »
I just went down a rabbit hole of modding some Tensor ATG Mag Lights. I was interested to try out the lightest trucks possible, plus I hear mag hangers grind like butter. However, I am not a fan of painted trucks, so I stripped it and then hit it with a mag car wheel polish/sealer to help at least a little against oxidation. Here's one stripped and one with the paint.

I went full geek mode and swapped out some parts to make them lighter and turn more to my liking.

Tensor ATG Mag Light 5.75 (8.5 inch)
-Tensor stock top bushing, Titanium top bushing cup from eBay.
-Bones hard bottom bushing, no bushing cup.
-Riptide pivot cups.
-ACER Racing titanium axel nuts (thinner, allowing one extra speed washer on hanger side, got on Black Friday sale)
-ACER Racing titanium kingpin nut (also thinner, also on Black Friday sale)
-Individual truck started at 274g, and now weighs in at 256g

Great job on the finish, those are SAF! I'm running the Bones meds top and bottom, same overall effect as the tensor top, no bottom washer and Ti nuts as well on my Maglights; that washer tho...looks sick...ebay seller has it listed at 6.2g, stock cup washer is 4/5g ...@$12 a washer, it's adding weight? I just use the bones washer on top (2g)..thunder are 4g each as well tho, indy's are, like everything else they make, heavier as well (but if I had t bet, more durable).

stets

• Rep: 25
« Reply #9818 on: February 08, 2021, 07:01:42 PM »
Great job on the finish, those are SAF! I'm running the Bones meds top and bottom, same overall effect as the tensor top, no bottom washer and Ti nuts as well on my Maglights; that washer tho...looks sick...ebay seller has it listed at 6.2g, stock cup washer is 4/5g ...@$12 a washer, it's adding weight? I just use the bones washer on top (2g)..thunder are 4g each as well tho, indy's are, like everything else they make, heavier as well (but if I had t bet, more durable).

Thanks Xen! So I took one off and it measured in at just a hair above 3g. So they are MARGINALLY lighter, haha. Luckily I got the top washer cheaper than it is now. But also I figured, might as well go that extra step, complete the light weight Titanium mania. Haha

Also, for that inverted kingpin loving crowd, I found a Ti bolt from an auto parts resource that is like a flat top Bones washer as the head of the bolt. It's perfect kingpin size, length, pitch, etc. Here it is mocked up with a Bones bushing (it's my bottom bushing, but it gets the point across...) Not modding these trucks to use this, but I will be putting them in some Indy's after I buy a pair of the new inverted baseplates when those are on the market.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9819 on: February 08, 2021, 07:47:12 PM »
I donít know what it is about these thunder 145ís. But I just canít get them to turn. Iíve had thunders before that had somewhat of a twitchy turn, but these just donít turn. The kingpin nut isnít even flush, they are barley screwed on. I have just normal 90a green thunder bushings that they come with, and they feel like they are cranked down. Any suggestions?
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #9820 on: February 08, 2021, 07:53:09 PM »
I donít know what it is about these thunder 145ís. But I just canít get them to turn. Iíve had thunders before that had somewhat of a twitchy turn, but these just donít turn. The kingpin nut isnít even flush, they are barley screwed on. I have just normal 90a green thunder bushings that they come with, and they feel like they are cranked down. Any suggestions?

I had the same issue with my 147ís. I greased the pivot cup and switched to bones soft bushings (flat washer on top). Worked like a charm and they turned nice after that.

Hope that helps!

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9821 on: February 08, 2021, 08:00:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had the same issue with my 147ís. I greased the pivot cup and switched to bones soft bushings (flat washer on top). Worked like a charm and they turned nice after that.

Hope that helps!

yea, I tried putting some wax in the pivot cups and it helped somewhat for a very temporary time. what did you use exactly to grease the pivot cup? and also, Iíve always heard bones bushings donít fit in thunders properly. Maybe Iíll get a set and see for myself. thank you.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #9822 on: February 08, 2021, 08:15:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Hope that helps!
[close]

yea, I tried putting some wax in the pivot cups and it helped somewhat for a very temporary time. what did you use exactly to grease the pivot cup? and also, Iíve always heard bones bushings donít fit in thunders properly. Maybe Iíll get a set and see for myself. thank you.

I use some food grade grease I got for repairing my wifeís mixer and it works great

Sta-Lube Synthetic Food Grade Grease, 14 Wt Oz, SL35610 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PB6SNA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_5F8CCNB2S8F0JQKGPDTE

As for the bushing fit, they work fine for me! Iíve got them on a couple sets of thunders with no problem but Iíll check and see if the bushings are the same size when I get a chance tomorrow

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
  • Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #9823 on: February 08, 2021, 09:08:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Hope that helps!
[close]

Are they just too tight with the existing setup?

Often to cut down the top bushing a touch means you can get the nut on well and they will perform much better for you, without having to go out and get other bushings, etc.

I have posted the info about it a few times so can link it to you if you want, more so than post it again (see below).

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3416326#msg3416326

The other thing I have seen some people do just to wear the bushings in is take the bottom metal washer off for a session or two, until they wear in or soften up.

Are you in colder weather right now, cause that could be part of it too?  Colder weather makes bushings harder, so they will not turn as easily or at all, especially if you are in very cold areas, as I see many people are right now.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9824 on: February 09, 2021, 07:03:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Hope that helps!
[close]

[close]

Are they just too tight with the existing setup?

Often to cut down the top bushing a touch means you can get the nut on well and they will perform much better for you, without having to go out and get other bushings, etc.

I have posted the info about it a few times so can link it to you if you want, more so than post it again (see below).

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3416326#msg3416326

The other thing I have seen some people do just to wear the bushings in is take the bottom metal washer off for a session or two, until they wear in or soften up.

Are you in colder weather right now, cause that could be part of it too?  Colder weather makes bushings harder, so they will not turn as easily or at all, especially if you are in very cold areas, as I see many people are right now.

yea, no matter what I do they just donít turn enough. And it isnít the weather, Iím in Florida and itís already getting hot here.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 309
  • Spreading the shredding, sharing the Shalom.
« Reply #9825 on: February 09, 2021, 01:26:49 PM »
Just my experience, but I found the stock bushings to be on the stiff side for a minute, but they broke in real nice after a session or two.
Mind if I ask what you weigh?
Could be you just need a softer bushing if youíre on the ďslimmer sideĒ of physiques.

ballintoohard

• Rep: -74
« Reply #9826 on: February 09, 2021, 02:12:54 PM »
I like stock Thunder bushings and want the whites, but can never find that color. DM or reply here if you know somewhere with them in stock.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 49
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #9827 on: February 10, 2021, 11:36:56 PM »
Someone mentioned Tensor bushings not working with all trucks. Does anyone know which trucks they do fit? They sound interesting, but donít wanna end up wasting money.

Beeker

• Rep: 11
« Reply #9828 on: February 10, 2021, 11:53:29 PM »
Someone mentioned Tensor bushings not working with all trucks. Does anyone know which trucks they do fit? They sound interesting, but donít wanna end up wasting money.

What trucks do you use? I have tensor bushings and a bunch of different trucks but I'm not gonna go try 'em all.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 49
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #9829 on: February 10, 2021, 11:57:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What trucks do you use? I have tensor bushings and a bunch of different trucks but I'm not gonna go try 'em all.
Haha. Right on. Iím on Thunder now.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -31
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9830 on: February 17, 2021, 08:28:34 AM »
What are the biggest wheels you'd put on forged Indys?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 53
    • Instagram
« Reply #9831 on: February 17, 2021, 08:34:37 AM »
I'd say 54mm if you want a juicy turn without wheelbite

Croquet temper

• Rep: -31
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9832 on: February 17, 2021, 08:51:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'd say 54mm if you want a juicy turn without wheelbite

Noted. I got 55 classics for longevity.

GlenSuggittsflexfit

• Rep: 11
« Reply #9833 on: February 17, 2021, 09:16:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
https://youtu.be/HE3kFwDlD7g

Getting into the washer talk on Nine Club. Skip to 13:53 to hear Rog talk about washers.
Skip to 11:32 for talk on spacers and washer.
[close]
painful
[close]

Kelly Hart thinks his thunders 147s are not light, thats cute
The years of skateboarding experience in that room versus how much collective knowledge is in that room is stark.

Diocletian

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 58
« Reply #9834 on: February 17, 2021, 10:51:45 AM »
I can't seem to find a definitive answer online, does anyone know if the material used for solid axles is the same material they use for hollow ones? Or do they use a stronger alloy for hollows? Trying to determine whether a solid axle is more prone to bending vs a hollow one.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 53
    • Instagram
« Reply #9835 on: February 17, 2021, 11:05:10 AM »
I can't seem to find a definitive answer online, does anyone know if the material used for solid axles is the same material they use for hollow ones? Or do they use a stronger alloy for hollows? Trying to determine whether a solid axle is more prone to bending vs a hollow one.
At the very least, I know a hollow axle is stronger than a solid one of the same material. I would assume the material is the same.

ssu_kim.korea

• Rep: 1
« Reply #9836 on: February 17, 2021, 09:03:44 PM »
I'd like to know the link to the ti kingpin purchase.

OldCandy

• Rep: -7
  • cant shuv
« Reply #9837 on: February 17, 2021, 09:18:21 PM »
Expand Quote
I just went down a rabbit hole of modding some Tensor ATG Mag Lights. I was interested to try out the lightest trucks possible, plus I hear mag hangers grind like butter. However, I am not a fan of painted trucks, so I stripped it and then hit it with a mag car wheel polish/sealer to help at least a little against oxidation. Here's one stripped and one with the paint.

I went full geek mode and swapped out some parts to make them lighter and turn more to my liking.

Tensor ATG Mag Light 5.75 (8.5 inch)
-Tensor stock top bushing, Titanium top bushing cup from eBay.
-Bones hard bottom bushing, no bushing cup.
-Riptide pivot cups.
-ACER Racing titanium axel nuts (thinner, allowing one extra speed washer on hanger side, got on Black Friday sale)
-ACER Racing titanium kingpin nut (also thinner, also on Black Friday sale)
-Individual truck started at 274g, and now weighs in at 256g

[close]

holy fuck this is the coolest shit ever that stripped mag light looks fucking sickkk.
I wish I'd known that at best we only have 20 summers at a decent skate level.
From then on it's low impact skating and trying not to forget tricks. 20 summers. And then it's over.

OldCandy

• cant shuv
« Reply #9838 on: February 17, 2021, 09:21:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
At the very least, I know a hollow axle is stronger than a solid one of the same material. I would assume the material is the same.

i think i read somewhere on slap that hollow kingpins/axles are stronger because of the shape/form - thus making different material unnesscary.
From then on it's low impact skating and trying not to forget tricks. 20 summers. And then it's over.

OldCandy

• cant shuv
« Reply #9839 on: February 17, 2021, 09:24:07 PM »
i am curious to know how much weight is taken off when a standard indy (~144) is ground down to the axle.

also why do people switch out the trucks when they hit the axle? i suppose you could still grind the axle, or does it snap instantly and/or make the grinds super sticky?

been trying to peice together a cruiser, wanted the indy turn with less weight :p