Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220548 times)

troy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #540 on: March 24, 2016, 10:22:55 PM »
i know its all mental but does anyone skate tranny with 139s? or is it generally 149s and up

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #541 on: March 24, 2016, 10:28:52 PM »
Don't ride Gullwing. Just. Don't.

Duane Peters, Shaun Ross, Craig Questions, most of Barrier Kult, Kristian Svitak, Mark Lake, and many others skate them.

Why don't you like Gullwing, Xen? Just curious.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 07:25:08 AM by Main »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #542 on: March 24, 2016, 10:50:38 PM »
I just remember pro 3's turning really wide....seemed like the ultimate vert truck....no need to carve.   Skated the shadow in the Hensley days and didn't like them that much....same deal...felt like venture highs....

The ...such and such skate them...argument only holds so much water....ie. Tensor....

It's just preference in turning though, I bet quality wise they are fine...weight is relative....I bet a pro three weighs as much as an Indy. 

N.L.

« Reply #543 on: March 25, 2016, 08:39:24 AM »
Nice job man!  I see some axle peeking through on those Thunders

Yeah, the Thunders are just about at axle but not sure when I'll use them again. Going to keep them though. Might be the last ones with a 'usa' stamp on the bottom...?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #544 on: March 25, 2016, 10:27:17 AM »

Ace mag places, new reinforced hangers (thanks BMC), Krux pins/bushings.

Picked up some JB weld steel stick (it's an epoxy putty, slice a bit off, squish it around until the colors are mixed then squish it in the cracks, works just like I expected (didn't want the goopy epoxy all over the place). Stuffs hard as a rock and keeps the nut from spinning or falling out of place if I need to loosen/swap bushings or whatever.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 06:54:51 AM by Xen »

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #545 on: March 25, 2016, 03:04:24 PM »
anybody know the durometer of the stock thunder bushings? need to order some new ones due to cold winter and a non existing heating unit in our indoor park!

thanks....and sorry for throwing in random questions but did not want to create a new thread!

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #546 on: March 25, 2016, 03:09:25 PM »
anybody know the durometer of the stock thunder bushings? need to order some new ones due to cold winter and a non existing heating unit in our indoor park!

thanks....and sorry for throwing in random questions but did not want to create a new thread!
90a
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #547 on: March 25, 2016, 03:23:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
90a

stanley, thank you for the quick reply!

i really could not skate with stock bushings for the last 3- 5 years, but one day i had a maybe defective set of bones mediums that were unusually hard, so i had to try the thunder stocks again and i never went back. i skate them flush with both washers maybe a lil more lose if it is colder over time. now after winter is pretty much over hopefully i found myself riding rockhard bushings without ever tightening my trucks during winter wich is crazy. i lost all my fliptricks being stuck at the indoor park and the trucks/ bushings not doing what i am used to fucked with my head heavy.

but now i flipped through a couple pages of this thread and i do not feel alone anymore!

thanks pals!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #548 on: March 26, 2016, 08:12:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
90a

Except the white ones feel waaaaay softer for some reason!

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #549 on: March 26, 2016, 08:21:01 AM »
Just to nerd out on it, who manufactures certain bushings?, I bet Thunder and Indy aftermarkets are made by the same and perhaps Krux is the same too?, never seen Krux but the Thunder and Indy ones look/feel very similar to me.

BMCsteve

« Reply #550 on: March 26, 2016, 04:47:23 PM »
Just to nerd out on it, who manufactures certain bushings?, I bet Thunder and Indy aftermarkets are made by the same and perhaps Krux is the same too?, never seen Krux but the Thunder and Indy ones look/feel very similar to me.

Krux and Indy aftermarkets are the same.  Thunder stock and aftermarket are both different.  you can tell this because Indy aftermarket/krux are cnc precision cut whereas all thunder (and stock indy) are molded

Main

« Reply #551 on: March 26, 2016, 07:22:36 PM »
aftermarket/krux are cnc precision cut whereas all thunder (and stock indy) are molded

What exactly does this mean? Are stock bushings on most trucks shitty because they use a low quality urethane?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #552 on: March 26, 2016, 09:35:36 PM »
I'm riding 129s with blue Indy barrels. I put mini logo pivot cups in these, they're garbage. Quiet, but still garbage.
you never know about pre-cum 

BMCsteve

« Reply #553 on: March 26, 2016, 10:59:32 PM »
Expand Quote
aftermarket/krux are cnc precision cut whereas all thunder (and stock indy) are molded
[close]

What exactly does this mean? Are stock bushings on most trucks shitty because they use a low quality urethane?

That is why most stock bushings suck.  The urethane is lower quality and has poor rebound.  Regarding the cut differences, look at the bottoms of stock indy or thunder bushings and then look at the stock krux or aftermarket indy.  you'll see the circles where they quality bushings were CNC cut versus a sloppy mold

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #554 on: March 27, 2016, 01:59:42 AM »
Expand Quote
i just got done with some back and forth emailing with nhs and now i'm sending in my broken indy hollows for new ones, which i'm hyped on since so far they have been my favorite trucks so far, they just make flipping the board easier and are at just the right height. but for now i'll go back to some thunders i got, might try the thunder hollow lights one of these days.
[close]

Part of the reason why I've never messed with hollow anything. I also feel like they'd feel...well....hollow. Like a dead weight instead of a solid one, even if it's heavy I don't care. I need life in my trucks! Hope those replacements work out for ya though.
it just makes me think i can flip my board better, and i like the lower ride height and it makes the board feel more even, but either way i sent it in a few days ago so i'll see how this pans out, the regular thunders in the mean time is working out pretty good though.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #555 on: March 27, 2016, 08:49:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That is why most stock bushings suck.  The urethane is lower quality and has poor rebound.  Regarding the cut differences, look at the bottoms of stock indy or thunder bushings and then look at the stock krux or aftermarket indy.  you'll see the circles where they quality bushings were CNC cut versus a sloppy mold
ahh good observatition, I did notice that my aftermarket Thunders are molded also, but seem to much higher quality urethane than the clear/jelly looking stock ones, seen some reeeeeeal sloppy bushings in Thunders at shops before. Bones are CNC cut too correct? Will CNC always be better than molded, my Thunder aftermarkets seem to ride pretty much the same as my aftermarket Indy's of the same Duro.
Are all bushings made in China? I can't see any "made in" info on my old packaging

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #556 on: March 27, 2016, 09:20:29 AM »
That is why most stock bushings suck.  The urethane is lower quality and has poor rebound.
I gotta disagree with this. I've been skating stock Thunder bushings for about a year an a half, and they're perfect.
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

BMCsteve

« Reply #557 on: March 27, 2016, 09:31:37 PM »
Expand Quote
That is why most stock bushings suck.  The urethane is lower quality and has poor rebound.
[close]
I gotta disagree with this. I've been skating stock Thunder bushings for about a year an a half, and they're perfect.

You're right, the Thunder stock white bushings are great.  They're the only thing I skate in my thunders now that I've learned how to properly break in bushings.  The stock thunder clear yellow ones are pretty terrible though

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #558 on: March 28, 2016, 12:01:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

You're right, the Thunder stock white bushings are great.  They're the only thing I skate in my thunders now that I've learned how to properly break in bushings.  The stock thunder clear yellow ones are pretty terrible though

yeah i've wrote on here before that i was a big fan of bones mediums in thunders. last year something made me get the rebuild kit (95 duro) and i feel in love.. tried the yellowish/clear ones and they were TOO soft for me. i dig the aftermarket ones.. never tried the white ones
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #559 on: March 28, 2016, 12:55:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Is there a certain method to breaking them in better? I've always just installed them and let it ride. 

BMCsteve

« Reply #560 on: March 28, 2016, 04:34:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Is there a certain method to breaking them in better? I've always just installed them and let it ride. 

Basically force yourself to skate them really loose for 2-3 days mostly cruising/carving around and then tighten them to your preferred tightness. 

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #561 on: March 28, 2016, 05:11:21 AM »
Jason Adams said doing slappies is a good way to break in new trucks.

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #562 on: March 28, 2016, 01:10:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I don't remember where I read it (might have actually been Reed/Lenny, can't remember though) but they said that all of the stock thunder bushings are the same duro. I've only ridden the yellowish clear ones, and some aftermarket ones, but if all the stocks are the same duro, shouldn't they all feel the same? I can't imagine they would purposefully make some stock ones better than others. Would the dye (or whatever they use to change the color) have anything to do with it?
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

BMCsteve

« Reply #563 on: March 28, 2016, 01:24:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
I don't remember where I read it (might have actually been Reed/Lenny, can't remember though) but they said that all of the stock thunder bushings are the same duro. I've only ridden the yellowish clear ones, and some aftermarket ones, but if all the stocks are the same duro, shouldn't they all feel the same? I can't imagine they would purposefully make some stock ones better than others. Would the dye (or whatever they use to change the color) have anything to do with it?

The white ones and the clear yellow ones might be the same duro (duro measurements for both bushings and wheels are notoriously inaccurate in skateboarding) but the yellow bushings are without a doubt more mushy and have less rebound than the white ones.  No idea if that has anything to do with clear vs solid colored urethane or what.

Ripped laces noted the same thing http://www.rippedlaces.com/2014/04/yes-the-new-thunder-149ii-is-different-better/

Main

« Reply #564 on: March 29, 2016, 06:39:43 AM »
Anyone have any experience with Indy's aftermarket pivot cups and can compare them to Khiro's?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 06:57:02 AM by Main »

BMCsteve

« Reply #565 on: March 29, 2016, 08:31:20 AM »
Anyone have any experience with Indy's aftermarket pivot cups and can compare them to Khiro's?

If you have stage 11's the aftermarket pivot cups are exactly the same as stock.  They're a hard plastic whereas Khiro are urethane.  Khiro's are higher quality but they don't fit 100% correctly and push the hanger up 1-2mm so I don't use them in Indy's.  Plenty of people do and love them though

BMCsteve

« Reply #566 on: March 29, 2016, 08:33:40 AM »
Also, if you're looking to get the best set of pivot cups for Indy's, here ya go http://www.riptidesports.com/indy-cracked-ice/

They aren't cheap  :)

N.L.

« Reply #567 on: March 29, 2016, 08:54:16 AM »
$14 for pivot cups...

Seems like the stock Ace ones have improved. Steve, are they plastic or urethane, do you know?

Also stock Ace bushings seem to be really good quality these days. I had to sand down the tops to get a looser turn and they're perhaps a tad too hard for my tastes but with warmer weather coming thats OK.

Also a big fan of the white stock Thunders, like other people mentioned.

Main

« Reply #568 on: March 29, 2016, 09:17:09 AM »
Hmm...think I may just not mess with the pivot cups then. Never did before and never broke any, but when someone mentioned those Khiro softs in Ace's I figured maybe trying them but nevermind if they're gonna fit weird.

BMCsteve

« Reply #569 on: March 29, 2016, 09:53:28 AM »
$14 for pivot cups...

Seems like the stock Ace ones have improved. Steve, are they plastic or urethane, do you know?

Also stock Ace bushings seem to be really good quality these days. I had to sand down the tops to get a looser turn and they're perhaps a tad too hard for my tastes but with warmer weather coming thats OK.

Also a big fan of the white stock Thunders, like other people mentioned.

The stock Ace ones are plastic as well.  Plastic isn't actually bad to use for pivot cups.  It just depends on the molds and quality of plastic used.  Plastic will be less likely to deform than urethane (see the comments from Xen and I regarding Krux stock pivot cups which are urethane).

Basically a hard plastic pivot cup can crack and blow out.  Urethane pivot cups will wear gradually and create slop.  I personally think it's more important to use something that doesn't change the geometry of the pivot which is why I use the stock indy and thunder cups. 

On Ace trucks the Khiro's stick up a bit but the actual depth is the same as the stock cups unlike Indy.  We're literally only talking 1-2 mm here so It likely doesn't matter at all similar to how using Bones bushings can slightly alter the geometry of a truck