Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220801 times)

guns_4_hands

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #720 on: May 23, 2016, 08:01:54 AM »
Skating Avenue trucks now, but I used to skate Indy axles on Venture baseplates. Works better than you think.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #721 on: May 23, 2016, 04:56:27 PM »
Skating Avenue trucks now, but I used to skate Indy axles on Venture baseplates. Works better than you think.
Avenue as in the suspension trucks?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

N.L.

« Reply #722 on: May 23, 2016, 06:30:42 PM »
Anybody else weird and enjoy Aces and Thunders even though they are sooo much different. I'm always torn between which one's I want to have on my set-up.

That would be me.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #723 on: May 23, 2016, 07:22:21 PM »
I said fuck it and put Bones Mediums in my Ace's using no bottom washer while using the new top washer they include. I know it's putting more strain on my pivot but I don't even care anymore haha. Got them wobbly but not to the point where the pivot point slides out from the cup, more of a "safer" wobble if that makes any sense.

I originally tried them using the bottom washer but it looks regular with Bones and also wasn't any better of a turn than the stock bushings, so that's why I decided to do without. The stock pivot cups are so god damn squeaky I think I'm finally caving in and ordering some Khiro's soon.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #724 on: May 24, 2016, 11:17:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Anybody else weird and enjoy Aces and Thunders even though they are sooo much different. I'm always torn between which one's I want to have on my set-up.
[close]

That would be me.

Me three.....

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #725 on: May 25, 2016, 12:32:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

That would be me.
[close]

Me three.....
Sweeeet. I'm glad I'm not alone in my indecisiveness.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #726 on: May 25, 2016, 02:29:19 AM »
I've been riding Indy's with bones bushing (medium) and I really like the feeling.
Then I saw all these good reviews about Ace, so I ordered a pair of 44's.

I've read somewhere that the stock bushing are pretty loose (compared to Indys ?).
Do you think I can keep the stock bushings, or should I put some bones ?
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Main

« Reply #727 on: May 25, 2016, 04:39:57 AM »
I've been riding Indy's with bones bushing (medium) and I really like the feeling.
Then I saw all these good reviews about Ace, so I ordered a pair of 44's.

I've read somewhere that the stock bushing are pretty loose (compared to Indys ?).
Do you think I can keep the stock bushings, or should I put some bones ?

The stock bushings are fine if you like riding a normal level of loose trucks. But for me, I wanted even more of a sharp turn so I put in Bones mediums with no bottom washer and I get a nice wobble from them. Other's have said Krux bushings are good so those would be another good option.

N.L.

« Reply #728 on: May 25, 2016, 09:24:54 AM »
anyone know the duro on the stock ace bushings?

Main

« Reply #729 on: May 25, 2016, 10:00:51 AM »
anyone know the duro on the stock ace bushings?

They've gotta be around a 96 bottom, 94 top.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #730 on: May 25, 2016, 01:53:50 PM »
for those guys who went from indys to thunders, im thinking about changing it up and im wondering what to expect. thinking just getting a set of standard thunder 149s or ace ( don't think i ride em loose enough to justify ace though)
been on indys for about a decade, last brands before that were fury and phantom hahaha.

N.L.

« Reply #731 on: May 25, 2016, 09:40:49 PM »
one thing i noticed between the two, is the timing on your pop is different between thunder and indy. not better or worse but each truck will suit different people differently. its not just a height thing but also relates to the position of the  kingpin and hangars, as well as the angles and geometry. as for the turn its pretty easy to switch between the two but as a general rule, i'd say if you like yr indys loose go with ace, if you ride them med or tighter go with thunder. thunders have a real responsive, snappy quick turn but its not very deep. thunders are also lighter if you care about that...

in saying all that, contrary to what some people like to think, thunders can be ridden loose and work well on round wall also once you dial them in.

personally, if i was skating mostly technical street shit or back and fore half pipe, i'd def go with thunders.
 round wall transition or slappy style loose carving street shit = ace. i'm old and love small tight fucked up trannies, carve grinds and slappies, so mostly skate ace these days.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #732 on: May 26, 2016, 06:54:54 AM »
Expand Quote
for those guys who went from indys to thunders, im thinking about changing it up and im wondering what to expect. thinking just getting a set of standard thunder 149s or ace ( don't think i ride em loose enough to justify ace though)
been on indys for about a decade, last brands before that were fury and phantom hahaha.
[close]

I've skated Indys for about ten years, too. I've never tried Thunders, so I'm thinking of giving them a go, too. I'd also like to know if anyone made the switch and stayed with Thunders. I wouldn't mind something a little lower.

I've switched back and forth pretty regularly over the years... I'll tell you a secret... there's really not much of a difference.  Yes, it's fun to nerd out and talk about how Indy is a slower/fuller turn and Thunder is a more responsive turn.  But really... when you're just skating, the difference is very minimal.  I'm actually switching from Indy back to Thunder and intend to stay for the life of the trucks, at least.   
hardly art, hardly starving

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #733 on: May 26, 2016, 07:37:15 AM »
Indys feel higher....turn slower but the turning radius is tighter.....more carvey......

BMCsteve

« Reply #734 on: May 26, 2016, 08:53:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I've skated Indys for about ten years, too. I've never tried Thunders, so I'm thinking of giving them a go, too. I'd also like to know if anyone made the switch and stayed with Thunders. I wouldn't mind something a little lower.
[close]

I've switched back and forth pretty regularly over the years... I'll tell you a secret... there's really not much of a difference.  Yes, it's fun to nerd out and talk about how Indy is a slower/fuller turn and Thunder is a more responsive turn.  But really... when you're just skating, the difference is very minimal.  I'm actually switching from Indy back to Thunder and intend to stay for the life of the trucks, at least.   

I agree with Art here.  There really isnt that much of a difference between most trucks.  I think a lot of it comes down to height and bushings.  If you take two different trucks that are the exact same height with the same bushings I bet most people would be hard pressed to tell which is which

BMCsteve

« Reply #735 on: May 27, 2016, 05:37:28 AM »

Do Thunders need aftermarket bushings? If so, which ones (other than Bones)?

Bushings are all preference.  I drove myself insane testing different bushings in Thunders.  My recommendation would be to properly break in the stock white bushings (the clear yellow ones are crap) and if they are too soft after a week of skating, try some of the aftermarket thunder bushings.  Bones will work but they don't really fit correctly

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #736 on: May 27, 2016, 07:56:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Bushings are all preference.  I drove myself insane testing different bushings in Thunders.  My recommendation would be to properly break in the stock white bushings (the clear yellow ones are crap) and if they are too soft after a week of skating, try some of the aftermarket thunder bushings.  Bones will work but they don't really fit correctly

Agreed Steve. It's all personal preference. One part vanity, one part OCD. No standard rules to gear. I've been skating Khiro conical bushings with the metal inserts for the last 2 years in my Thunders. I swear by them. I had a buddy give me a set a few years back and haven't switched back since. Same principle as Bones bushings just a slightly different build. I've also experimented with the 'low profile' Khiro conicals without the inserts. I just use the smaller top washer on both the top AND the bottom.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #737 on: May 27, 2016, 09:25:01 AM »
Im not really nuts about bushings........yet.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #738 on: May 27, 2016, 10:22:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The yellow ones aren't that bad, maybe cause I just want to stay classic and nostalgic since my first pair of thunder 147 were the raw with yellow bushings and they did me so much justice. It's like the jenkem guys said though, you just gotta dial them in to that sweet spot. Took me a few tries but I finally got the it to the sweet spot on the og yellow thunder bushings.
But no doubt the white ones are way better. They rebound so well and respond so smooth, you can make them loose or tight and they still have so much stability and response. I guess that's why Malto always did it and got koston on the program
yes

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #739 on: May 27, 2016, 11:28:21 AM »
How are the Krux K4 8.25" compared to Indy 149 Stage 11s with Bones hard bushings?

I was thinking of getting another pair of trucks possibly to use for a "cruiser", as my OJs Keyframes are like 5 times faster than harder wheels over here with crummy terrain. I was thinking of trying out the Ace 44s, but they don't seem to be very widely available here and I could get the Krux for 49€ from a local shop, compared to the Aces for around 70€ shipped.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #740 on: May 27, 2016, 12:20:43 PM »
How are the Krux K4 8.25" compared to Indy 149 Stage 11s with Bones hard bushings?

I was thinking of getting another pair of trucks possibly to use for a "cruiser", as my OJs Keyframes are like 5 times faster than harder wheels over here with crummy terrain. I was thinking of trying out the Ace 44s, but they don't seem to be very widely available here and I could get the Krux for 49� from a local shop, compared to the Aces for around 70� shipped.

Never had Indy 149's but the 8.25 krux are so good, stable yet not so hefty. I've had 139 with bones hards and they still turn some just really stable turn cause you know, hards

Sorry if my input isn't much help but truthfully I say go with the krux 8.25. They're much lighter and have that stable wide truck feel and he stock bushings are so nice.

I hopped on my friends board win Indy 149 and they're stable Forsure but so heavy, you can feel it in the turn too how heavy they are when they veer
yes

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #741 on: May 27, 2016, 12:31:50 PM »
Expand Quote

I was thinking of getting another pair of trucks possibly to use for a "cruiser", as my OJs Keyframes are like 5 times faster than harder wheels over here with crummy terrain. I was thinking of trying out the Ace 44s, but they don't seem to be very widely available here and I could get the Krux for 49� from a local shop, compared to the Aces for around 70� shipped.
[close]

Never had Indy 149's but the 8.25 krux are so good, stable yet not so hefty. I've had 139 with bones hards and they still turn some just really stable turn cause you know, hards

Sorry if my input isn't much help but truthfully I say go with the krux 8.25. They're much lighter and have that stable wide truck feel and he stock bushings are so nice.

I hopped on my friends board win Indy 149 and they're stable Forsure but so heavy, you can feel it in the turn too how heavy they are when they veer

Thanks man. Actually the Bones hards feel like they've gone soft on me. Had them in for a while and I've cranked down the nut a half turn like 4 times or something from what it was in the beginning. I guess I'm heaving than most skaters though at 85 kg (188 pounds). Didn't like the stock Indy bushings at all. Had to crank them down a lot and then it was just still, but still got wheelbite, also no proper rebound anymore.

Kinda wondering how the Krux will be with the stock bushings, cuz I'm heavier than the average lad. Dunno what replacement bushings work well with Krux.

BMCsteve

« Reply #742 on: May 27, 2016, 12:46:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks man. Actually the Bones hards feel like they've gone soft on me. Had them in for a while and I've cranked down the nut a half turn like 4 times or something from what it was in the beginning. I guess I'm heaving than most skaters though at 85 kg (188 pounds). Didn't like the stock Indy bushings at all. Had to crank them down a lot and then it was just still, but still got wheelbite, also no proper rebound anymore.

Kinda wondering how the Krux will be with the stock bushings, cuz I'm heavier than the average lad. Dunno what replacement bushings work well with Krux.

So, you will likely find the krux bushings too soft if you skate Bones hards.  Good news, Bones bushings fit perfectly in Krux but the key thing to remember is use both bottom and top washers.  Bones bushings are the exact same height as Krux bushings which are taller than Indy's. 

If you can find them wherever you are, the other option is Bitch bushings by Khiro.  They also fit perfectly, you have a lot of options for hardness and the quality is top notch - http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=search_list&s[search]=bitch+bushings&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=n&s[full_desc]=n&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #743 on: May 27, 2016, 12:50:19 PM »
Krux Bushings are my favorite bushings in the world! Pretty soft but not super soft, I believe they're like a 92a or something of that nature.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #744 on: May 27, 2016, 01:34:14 PM »
This all sounds pretty good. Maybe I'll go grab a pair tomorrow and see what's what. Still kinda thinking of the Aces for some reason, but the shop only seems to have 33s in stock. Gotta ask though. If they'd happen to have 44s in stock, I'd probably go with those as I've read so much praise for them in here.  :)

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #745 on: May 28, 2016, 06:18:27 AM »
Went and bought the Krux trucks.

The stock bushings are super soft. Had to crank them down like mad to not get wheelbite and even then they weren't nearly as stable as my Indys with Bones hards.

Put some Bones mediums there that I had around and they're much better with those. Got a bit more stability near the center, but it still turns when I want. Dunno if other bushings than Bones provide that, but I really do like that feeling.

Overall, they don't feel nearly as good as my Indys with Bones hards, but that's to be expected. New trucks, new bushings and also a setup that is not familiar to me. Will be interesting to see how I'll end up feeling about them in the long run.  :)

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #746 on: May 30, 2016, 11:24:01 AM »
^ I hover around 180-190lbs and I have krux with stock bushings and they are fine. You gotta have a few sessions with them a little loose to break them in. Then you can crank down a little. Once mine broke in I tightened them a little and they've been fine. Still prefer my indy titaniums with orange after market bushings better than the krux tho.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #747 on: May 30, 2016, 11:53:27 AM »
Well, I'm much more satisfied with them now with the Bones mediums. No need to put the stock bushings back. I prefer the feeling I get with Bones bushings, that it takes more force to make it turn initially, but then it does turn. Makes things much more stable for me at least.

I was actually thinking of trying Indy aftermarket bushings for my Indy trucks as ppl seem to like them a lot here. But the Bones are IMO lightyears better than the stock ones at least. Kinda worried the Indy aftermarkets wouldn't be as good.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #748 on: May 30, 2016, 03:30:04 PM »
Anyone running Indy 129s on an 8.125-8.25? I'm getting a new deck soon and wanna size up a bit so I can catch tricks easier, but I don't have money for new trucks and I'm worried that my 129s are gonna be too narrow if I get anything bigger than an 8

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #749 on: May 30, 2016, 11:21:12 PM »
ive tried those kind of smaller trucks on the sizes you described and an 8.125 is your best choice cause the 8.25 made the trucks actually feel off balance with how wide the board is, the 8.125 felt okay on balance but i loved it cause the smaller trucks helped it flip so perfect and made it so easy to do tricks i take a few tries on. frontside flips, hardflips, heel flips, they all felt too easy weirdly but i loved it. then my curiosity got to me and changed up my setup as usual.

traded my friend my krux 8.25 for his indy 149 reynolds and theyre alright so far

hey is it me or do you guys notice indy 149 are a bit shorter than 139 in height, i know everyones gonna tell me no cause all indy standards are 55mm tall and i know that but truthfully riding these 149 they dont make me feel all high off the ground and unstable like 139s, they almost feel like a more solid, stable, carvy thunder 149er II, maybe the 55mm tallness works better on the 149 length and is just unstable on the 139 length. idk thats just my opinion but another question

do you guys think the truck companies have one size of their truck they focus on perfecting more than others, like i feel thunder focused more on perfecting their 147 more then decided to revamp the 149 since those are the most selling sizes, and then with indy i feel the 149 are more well molded and crafted than 139 as if when they were doing stage 11 they did it focused around the 149 then just applied the stage 11 149 specs on the other sizes
yes