Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221017 times)

BMCsteve

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #780 on: June 10, 2016, 11:24:43 AM »
as someone who has switched trucks more often than 99% of people on the planet, once I decided to just stick with Indy Titanium (currently alternating between 159's and 169's) all of my problems were solved.

No trucks are perfect for everything but overall Indy wins (for me) in pros vs cons above everything else.  The more I skate them, the more I appreciate them
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 12:29:33 PM by BMCsteve »

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #781 on: June 10, 2016, 11:40:51 AM »
Yah, the truck would be more or less idiot proof if it wasn't for people like us......

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #782 on: June 10, 2016, 12:39:08 PM »
LOL

This local dude Geoff who owns a small company called Kitsch rode those for ages! He swore by them. One of the distributors up here had tons of them for ages. Then one day, they were all gone and Geoff had to switch trucks LOL

Well from my super nerd-err-iffic research, looks like Tracker is the only truck company making every component of a truck in the USA. Might be worth getting some but I'm still hesitant. They're fucking Trackers...

Crow T. Robot

• Rep: 26
« Reply #783 on: June 11, 2016, 10:55:37 AM »
For those that ride the ACE/Krux bushings combo, do you guys keep the bottom washer in? Set mine up to rattle a little bit, but they've recently gotten pretty packed out and I have the nut turned 5-6 threads down on the kingpin.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #784 on: June 13, 2016, 08:05:37 AM »
Just scraped most of the paint off my Krux with some scissors, looks kinda janky but I dig it. I'll post pics a bit later if anyone's interested. Anybody ever tried running Krux hangers on Indy baseplates? Thinking of running mine that way so I don't gotta look at these black plates.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

le88

• Rep: -7
« Reply #785 on: June 13, 2016, 04:59:47 PM »
was strictly on indys for a few years but the last sets I've had, whenever i switched the bushings out, the kingpins were all wobbly. and that was with multiple sets. contacted nhs and they wanted me to pay for shipping so i said fuck that and tried the thunder 149 ii and those so far have been awesome, don't even mess with the bushings either

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #786 on: June 14, 2016, 10:01:31 AM »
Have some Thunders coming for a cruiser but was looking at them on my friends board and the baseplate holes are kinda crazy. They are so close to the edge on the nose and tail side. My buddies hardware is shredded to shit, like it's 1991.

It's like after most truck companies removed the 6 hole pattern however many years ago, rather than keep the space where the 5th and 6th holes were, they centered the mounting holes on the baseplate, which puts the bolts closer to the nose and tail slide area. It has more clearance than the old truck hole pattern but less than indy's, which maintains the offset when they removed the 5th and 6th hole. Because of where the holes are drilled on thunder baseplates, it also artificially narrows the relative wheelbase 

OldManSkate

• Rep: -3
« Reply #787 on: June 14, 2016, 10:20:43 AM »
For those that ride the ACE/Krux bushings combo, do you guys keep the bottom washer in? Set mine up to rattle a little bit, but they've recently gotten pretty packed out and I have the nut turned 5-6 threads down on the kingpin.
I keep the bottom washer in, no rattles.

dirty ol man

• Rep: 46
« Reply #788 on: June 14, 2016, 11:00:57 AM »
wish i had time to read this entire thread.

i'm 36, 6'4, 165. Skate mostly ledges, bumps, mannys, flat and jersey barriers, DIY tranny at this point in NYC/Philly

Have standard Indy's and skate an 8", scaled back after landing primo innumerable times on tres on 8.25. basically trying to hang on to shit, not progress as i'm on some 45 hours a week stressful job shit and a shadow of my abilities in my 20's.

Anytime I pick up a homies board that pretty much has the same dimensions equipped with ventures or thunders etc it straight feels SIGNIFICANTLY lighter.

light boards were a big deal growing up skating freedom/love etc.

Anyone have an recs on lighter trucks that are sturdy. when my head was in the clouds and i was skating 10-15 hours a week i could care fuck all about setup but trying to tweak my setup to lesson the margin of complexity at this stage.

does this shit make any difference or am I searching for excuses why i'm declining ha.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #789 on: June 14, 2016, 11:15:20 AM »
^ Try the the hollow light indys. They're a little lower and a little lighter.

I have some venture 5 lows on a 7.75 that I just leave in the trunk of my car in case I get bored, and I'm surprised how well they turn... It's kind of fucking with me.
you never know about pre-cum 

dirty ol man

« Reply #790 on: June 14, 2016, 01:27:14 PM »

I have some venture 5 lows on a 7.75 that I just leave in the trunk of my car in case I get bored, and I'm surprised how well they turn... It's kind of fucking with me.

Yeah I'll just compare the weights. I'm curious if anyone made a shift to lighter trucks and noticed things getting springy or snapping easier or if say .5 pound difference is all in your mind. basically feel like my muscle memory is based on an outdated setup and I'm fine with reverting back to it.

BMCsteve

« Reply #791 on: June 14, 2016, 02:14:48 PM »

Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah I'll just compare the weights. I'm curious if anyone made a shift to lighter trucks and noticed things getting springy or snapping easier or if say .5 pound difference is all in your mind. basically feel like my muscle memory is based on an outdated setup and I'm fine with reverting back to it.

It's all in your mind but skating is mostly mental so I shell out for the Indy Titaniums :)

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #792 on: June 15, 2016, 09:16:36 AM »
^ I have the titaniums too and I love em. If you are getting wheel bite on standard 149s maybe go hollow or Titanium but use risers. So you'll get a little added height but maybe not so much as if you added risers to standards.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

BMCsteve

« Reply #793 on: June 15, 2016, 09:23:38 AM »
^ I have the titaniums too and I love em. If you are getting wheel bite on standard 149s maybe go hollow or Titanium but use risers. So you'll get a little added height but maybe not so much as if you added risers to standards.

Yup, add rises.  Also, if you are getting wheelbite on standard Indy's, you'll get twice as much on Thunder.  The geometry of Ace seem to reduce wheelbite the most.

I think risers went out for most skaters who don't focus on tranny or skate huge wheels but they're making a comeback.

Function over form

dirty ol man

« Reply #794 on: June 15, 2016, 11:49:56 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It's all in your mind but skating is mostly mental so I shell out for the Indy Titaniums :)

So they're double the price for a FIFTEEN % weight reduction. not sure anyone could tell the difference on an overall setup. You really think it makes a difference?

i should stop being a cackfag and start doing squats instead of toiling over a few ounce difference in weight.

BMCsteve

« Reply #795 on: June 15, 2016, 12:10:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

So they're double the price for a FIFTEEN % weight reduction. not sure anyone could tell the difference on an overall setup. You really think it makes a difference?

i should stop being a cackfag and start doing squats instead of toiling over a few ounce difference in weight.

The difference is about 120g which is 4.2oz of weight savings in your setup.  it's not really going to make a difference in your skating but you can feel it just by picking up your board

The woodshop your board comes from makes a huge difference as well.  an 8.38x32 from NHS (china wood) is 120g lighter than an 8.38x32 South Central deck

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #796 on: June 15, 2016, 12:43:10 PM »
I still skate theeve Tih's....on an 8" board....it's noticeably lighter.....you do get used to it but when I skate my other set ups they feel like tanks....for me, I Ollie higher on something heavier and more solid....I kickflip better on something a bit heavier too.....but any other flip trick yah, lighter is easier.....transition....heavier and wider.....everything else I like my lighter board....

If I have a bad day on a heavier board I'm more prone to blame the weight.....on a light board....I'm more prone to blame the deck as too old or too new.....

N.L.

« Reply #797 on: June 15, 2016, 02:42:30 PM »
i find the truck geo, and location of the axle to the tail, has more of an influence on my pop than truck weight.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #798 on: June 15, 2016, 06:42:32 PM »

My bearing is stuck in the truck. I've lubed it, then tried to get it out with a bunch of utensils but I can't get it out... wtf ! I'm scared that using a hammer will brake it, so now I don't know what to do. Has this ever happened to anyone ?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:44:15 PM by Julz »

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #799 on: June 15, 2016, 06:49:55 PM »

My bearing is stuck in the truck. I've lubed it, then tried to get it out with a bunch of utensils but I can't get it out... wtf ! I'm scared that using a hammer will brake it, so now I don't know what to do. Has this ever happened to anyone ?

Bash it on a curb.
you never know about pre-cum 

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #800 on: June 16, 2016, 12:12:24 AM »
that happened to me a while back on some pre-DLXSF ventures.. had to hammer the bearing which resulted in the bearing blowing up. not sure if its the accel that has slightly slipped
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #801 on: June 16, 2016, 12:27:51 AM »
You tried taking the truck off and put it in a bench vice, then wiggle that shit free

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #802 on: June 16, 2016, 02:56:29 AM »
i find the truck geo, and location of the axle to the tail, has more of an influence on my pop than truck weight.

Right! I was testing my venture lows with my Indy lows and they both sit at 48mm tall and the ventures felt so odd like it increased the wheel base but the Indy lows felt so right.
yes

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #803 on: June 16, 2016, 04:37:55 PM »
Fuck, I haven't been back home since last night, hopefully there's nothing wrong with the truck, I've just set it up last month.  >:(

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #804 on: June 17, 2016, 08:18:09 AM »
I skate risers just cause I get wheelbite so often....and I'm a medium truck guy who doesn't weigh anything.....

BMCsteve

« Reply #805 on: June 17, 2016, 08:33:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yup, add rises.  Also, if you are getting wheelbite on standard Indy's, you'll get twice as much on Thunder.  The geometry of Ace seem to reduce wheelbite the most.

I think risers went out for most skaters who don't focus on tranny or skate huge wheels but they're making a comeback.

Function over form
[close]

Alright, so I'm going to stay with Indy and try some hollows. 55mm on the stage 11s is a little high for me. I liked the stage 10 height, so the forged stuff should work better. I haven't used risers since my first proper setup, I remember ditching them when I got my second board.

Will Indy titanium hangers work on the Indy forged hollow baseplates and vice versa? I can get some all black titaniums really cheap, so I may as well buy a set of hollows and have x2 sets of trucks - black hangers on raw baseplates and raw hangers on black baseplates, since it's probably not worth stripping the paint back.

yes

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #806 on: June 17, 2016, 02:29:38 PM »
This thread is rad. I appreciate the intricacy y'all have when it comes to your truck setups/truck rituals, but trucks aren't something I freak out too much about anymore; I feel like I've finally found the golden ticket with trucks. I still drive myself insane when it comes to rituals over other certain other gear, but for trucks, as long as it's some Indy stage 11 149 standards with the Indy 94A aftermarket barrel bottom bushings put in and tightened to a medium tightish feel with the front truck slightly looser than the back, then I'm good to go. Been rocking that setting for more than half a year now and I'm loving it. No complaints at all and I haven't had any need to adjust or mess with my trucks at all since I stumbled upon this setting.
The stage 11s are awesome. My previous trucks before these were stage 10s and I had to constantly mess with them with a skate tool to keep them feeling right.

BMCsteve

« Reply #807 on: June 18, 2016, 07:18:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yup, add rises.  Also, if you are getting wheelbite on standard Indy's, you'll get twice as much on Thunder.  The geometry of Ace seem to reduce wheelbite the most.

Function over form
[close]

Alright, so I'm going to stay with Indy and try some hollows. 55mm on the stage 11s is a little high for me. I liked the stage 10 height, so the forged stuff should work better. I haven't used risers since my first proper setup, I remember ditching them when I got my second board.

Will Indy titanium hangers work on the Indy forged hollow baseplates and vice versa? I can get some all black titaniums really cheap, so I may as well buy a set of hollows and have x2 sets of trucks - black hangers on raw baseplates and raw hangers on black baseplates, since it's probably not worth stripping the paint back.
[close]

yes
[close]

Thanks for the quick reply.

Will standard stage 11 hangers work on forged baseplates? If so, will they still be 53.5mm tall?

Yup, all of the stage 11 stuff can be swapped.  53.5 = Forged 55 = Standard

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #808 on: June 20, 2016, 05:46:27 AM »
^Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Aces as high as Indys and a few grams heavier?

BMCsteve

« Reply #809 on: June 20, 2016, 06:47:14 AM »
They're a few millimetres lower than stage 11s (even lower than what stage 10s were, but only by half a mm). That's enough for me to try them. Even though I've gotten used to them, I find stage 11s too high.

Yep, they're pretty much the same weight, but apparently they wear down quicker so they'll be lighter in no time  ;D

Ace are 53.5mm which is the same as Forged Stage 11's.  Ace are heavier than standard stage 11's and a lot heavier than hollow or Ti stage 11's