Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232069 times)

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7410 on: January 07, 2020, 01:25:48 PM »
I'm guessing tail length and that you guys don't like long tails.
Tried Ace/Indy/Theeve on a deck with a short tail? Or tried risers?

Tried aces and indys on everything, short tails, long tails, hard risers, soft risers, BBS, DLX, PStix, Crail and every wheelbase between 14.25 up to a redonculous 15.5, and I never felt satisfied with my pop because it never felt 'crisp' but more of a 'damp' feeling.

Now today I bit the bullet and bought some Venture 5.8 casts. Holy. fuck. I can't believe I've been cheating myself all these years. I was always an Indy die hard because I always thought their image was fucking rad and fell under the impression that those are how real trucks should feel like. First ollie I popped was the most satisfying ollie I've ever done. I set them up on a Real 8.25 with 14.38 wheelbase, after having skated the same deck this morning on Indy 149 forged hollows. I don't like to pop from the pocket, I like my foot on the tip of the tail, and the Ventures seem to work better for that. Also the stock bushings (got the green ones) are super soft that I ended up having to tighten from stock tightness, which is weird because most of ya'll say that these trucks don't turn lol. I was also surprised how good they felt on a 14.38 wheelbase, I thought it was going to feel too long but it was a good feeling. This is my first impression based on a quick 15 minute flat sesh, can't wait to have a full proper sesh with these. Curious to see how these perform on transition.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to remove the cringy "awake" text on these bad boys?

sadnocomply

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 137
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #7411 on: January 07, 2020, 01:32:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Tried aces and indys on everything, short tails, long tails, hard risers, soft risers, BBS, DLX, PStix, Crail and every wheelbase between 14.25 up to a redonculous 15.5, and I never felt satisfied with my pop because it never felt 'crisp' but more of a 'damp' feeling.

Now today I bit the bullet and bought some Venture 5.8 casts. Holy. fuck. I can't believe I've been cheating myself all these years. I was always an Indy die hard because I always thought their image was fucking rad and fell under the impression that those are how real trucks should feel like. First ollie I popped was the most satisfying ollie I've ever done. I set them up on a Real 8.25 with 14.38 wheelbase, after having skated the same deck this morning on Indy 149 forged hollows. I don't like to pop from the pocket, I like my foot on the tip of the tail, and the Ventures seem to work better for that. Also the stock bushings (got the green ones) are super soft that I ended up having to tighten from stock tightness, which is weird because most of ya'll say that these trucks don't turn lol. I was also surprised how good they felt on a 14.38 wheelbase, I thought it was going to feel too long but it was a good feeling. This is my first impression based on a quick 15 minute flat sesh, can't wait to have a full proper sesh with these. Curious to see how these perform on transition.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to remove the cringy "awake" text on these bad boys?
I just got some 5.6 friday and I had the same situation, bushings are super mush but I’ll switch em out when they die. I am digging this venture pop on my hockey 8.25 14.18 WB. Gotta pop on the tip of the tail like you said, it’s tricky because I was always a pocket popper haha

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7412 on: January 07, 2020, 04:31:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

power drill with wire brush attachment should do the job
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7413 on: January 07, 2020, 04:36:34 PM »
Buy a matching t-shirt....

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #7414 on: January 07, 2020, 05:25:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Let us know how they are on transition! Literally the only thing holding me back from buying a pair.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7415 on: January 07, 2020, 06:40:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Let us know how they are on transition! Literally the only thing holding me back from buying a pair.

They work, but certainly not to the degree ACE/Indy or Theeve will treat you. What do you normally ride and what kind of 'transition'?

texasplant

« Reply #7416 on: January 07, 2020, 07:05:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

They work, but certainly not to the degree ACE/Indy or Theeve will treat you. What do you normally ride and what kind of 'transition'?

I'm an Ace/Indy guy. 6/7 foot at most, its mostly flowy plaza style parks down here. Rumour is we're getting a proper bowl with some pool coping finally, though.

m477

• Rep: 7
« Reply #7417 on: January 07, 2020, 07:36:14 PM »
A few months ago I was dealing with the dead cardboard box sounding deck as well. Brand new ace 55s, black label 8.75 (14.625 wb) and bones stf 54. Absolutely drove me crazy, I tinkered with it to no end until I put in Indy hard after market bushings (one barrel deckside one conical roadside), sanded down to fit so the nut is tightened flush on the kingpin. Never had this issue with my 2 previous sets of 44s and I kept those with the stock bushings.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #7418 on: January 07, 2020, 08:18:04 PM »
Aces for me only ever felt dead/soggy/weird/whatever when I tried messing with the bushings. Tried Krux bushings from recommendations here and they felt terrible. They're fine all stock.

Stock bushings popped out from under the washer 30 seconds after I set it up. In the 5 or so tricks I tried the board felt dead and it was a fresh deck. Swapped to bones felt the same. Just not for me. I’ll be posting them up tomorrow.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Saarinotsorry

• Rep: -78
« Reply #7419 on: January 07, 2020, 10:27:28 PM »
Hey everybody i recently setup that DGK kalis love park reissue and its a great shape. 8.06 x almost 32, 14.3 wb. It has more concave than my real deck of the same dimmensions that i LOVED indys on. Question, i have a pair of Thunder 147 team hollows and a pair of theeve 5.2 csx and im looking for that perfect pop. Any suggestions?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #7420 on: January 07, 2020, 11:43:37 PM »
Hey everybody i recently setup that DGK kalis love park reissue and its a great shape. 8.06 x almost 32, 14.3 wb. It has more concave than my real deck of the same dimmensions that i LOVED indys on. Question, i have a pair of Thunder 147 team hollows and a pair of theeve 5.2 csx and im looking for that perfect pop. Any suggestions?

try both and see what you like?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7421 on: January 08, 2020, 02:24:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

try both and see what you like?
If you loved it so much with Indy's why you don't keep them?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #7422 on: January 08, 2020, 02:36:32 AM »
About the Ace pop vs. other trucks, I feel like Aces take the longest to get used to. Ventures pop like magic every time. I used to ride Indys and switched to Aces for the turn but had a hard time adjusting to the pop feel. Skated a bit of Ventures too and felt like I could pop those much better than Indys instantly.

I don’t get the dead sound from Aces unless the kingpins are loose. Then they can sound really dead. I generally don’t care much how my board sounds though. I don’t need it to be noisy as fuck in every way.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7423 on: January 08, 2020, 07:01:07 AM »
Just put some Venture 5.8's on my board and so far they are pretty killer. They feel a little tight, but it's been cold. They do pop nicely and the grind is good, too. I'm a fan.

That is it. That's the post. Ventures are good trucks.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7424 on: January 08, 2020, 07:21:52 AM »
About the Ace pop vs. other trucks, I feel like Aces take the longest to get used to. Ventures pop like magic every time. I used to ride Indys and switched to Aces for the turn but had a hard time adjusting to the pop feel. Skated a bit of Ventures too and felt like I could pop those much better than Indys instantly.

I don’t get the dead sound from Aces unless the kingpins are loose. Then they can sound really dead. I generally don’t care much how my board sounds though. I don’t need it to be noisy as fuck in every way.

Maybe it's mental but when my brand new deck sounds like it's been sitting in water for a week or made of cardboard AND my pop isn't there... I can't get down with that, don't think that is something I will ever attempt to look past. When I set up a fresh board I expect that nice crisp pop sound when I am doing tricks. Board feels and sounds stiff, makes a difference for me. My bearings are a bit noisy and I want that crisp pop sound. By no means does it sound noisy as fuck.

To the point that with Ace if i was holding my board in my hand and I tapped my nose or tail on the concrete it would just adsorb, where with my Ventures it bounces off the concrete.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 07:24:53 AM by arrbee »
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

UPPERCASEnocap

• Rep: 3
« Reply #7425 on: January 08, 2020, 07:36:09 AM »
Just put some Venture 5.8's on my board and so far they are pretty killer. They feel a little tight, but it's been cold. They do pop nicely and the grind is good, too. I'm a fan.

That is it. That's the post. Ventures are good trucks.

Facts. If you want a little looser..replace the top washer with a bones washer. That top washer restricts the turn alot (for stability reasons) and binds on the hanger if you run them looser. Bones flat washer is the ticket if you want your ventures to turn a little better!

Diocletian

« Reply #7426 on: January 08, 2020, 05:50:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Maybe it's mental but when my brand new deck sounds like it's been sitting in water for a week or made of cardboard AND my pop isn't there... I can't get down with that, don't think that is something I will ever attempt to look past. When I set up a fresh board I expect that nice crisp pop sound when I am doing tricks. Board feels and sounds stiff, makes a difference for me. My bearings are a bit noisy and I want that crisp pop sound. By no means does it sound noisy as fuck.

To the point that with Ace if i was holding my board in my hand and I tapped my nose or tail on the concrete it would just adsorb, where with my Ventures it bounces off the concrete.

Awesome description with this one man, few sets of Ace’s I’ve had over the years sounded precisely like that. I agree, when you set up a freshie you can really hear and feel that crisp snap and there’s something wrong if it’s not there right when you set it up. The sound=stoke. It’s not over the top, it’s just how it’s supposed to be.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7427 on: January 08, 2020, 06:38:08 PM »
So what causes it? 

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
« Reply #7428 on: January 08, 2020, 06:46:37 PM »
I never did notice that with my Aces, so I just took two boards outside (one Ace, one Venture) and damn... I guess it’s gotta be the differences in the bottom of the baseplates?

UPPERCASEnocap

• Rep: 3
« Reply #7429 on: January 08, 2020, 07:02:03 PM »
I never did notice that with my Aces, so I just took two boards outside (one Ace, one Venture) and damn... I guess it’s gotta be the differences in the bottom of the baseplates?

My baseplates on my aces tore up quicker than usual from nose and tail slides. Truck feels different on grinds. My guess all this has to due with a different density metal. Aces are a bit softer I'm assuming.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #7430 on: January 08, 2020, 07:09:16 PM »
Had to pick up some new Riptides for my 6.1's.  These pivot cups are the only piece of skate gear that I never regret buying and improve the trucks 100% of the time.  Not to mention, they eliminate all squeaking

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #7431 on: January 08, 2020, 07:22:15 PM »
So what causes it?

If you're asking about Aces and why they appear/feel/sound less crisp or deader or whatever word fits, it all has to do with the softness of the aluminum they use. They're considerably softer than Ermico and Indy stuff, which is also why they grind like butter, but the trade off is the resonance being kinda dull. It's the same concept you'd have with musical instruments, harder materials are sharper sounding, softer materials are more muffled. That's also going to translate into how they feel. Not too much to it.

texasplant

« Reply #7432 on: January 08, 2020, 07:25:18 PM »
Expand Quote
So what causes it?
[close]

If you're asking about Aces and why they appear/feel/sound less crisp or deader or whatever word fits, it all has to do with the softness of the aluminum they use. They're considerably softer than Ermico and Indy stuff, which is also why they grind like butter, but the trade off is the resonance being kinda dull. It's the same concept you'd have with musical instruments, harder materials are sharper sounding, softer materials are more muffled. That's also going to translate into how they feel. Not too much to it.

I wonder how much affect it has on actual pop though. Generally a dead sounding board pops like shit, but if it’s brand new it may just be a placebo. This thread now has me considering taking my Aces off again, nice.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #7433 on: January 08, 2020, 07:37:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So what causes it?
[close]

[close]

I wonder how much affect it has on actual pop though. Generally a dead sounding board pops like shit, but if it’s brand new it may just be a placebo. This thread now has me considering taking my Aces off again, nice.

That I couldn't tell you. But I wouldn't rule out placebo effect. I'm sure the softness of aluminum makes a difference but I couldn't see it being anywhere near the difference between say, 92d vs 99d wheels, or a brand new deck vs a two month old deck. 

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7434 on: January 08, 2020, 07:43:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So what causes it?
[close]

[close]

I’m out on Ace. Posted em for sale in the classified, practically new.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #7435 on: January 08, 2020, 08:55:39 PM »
The only deck I have skated ACE on so far is a lib tech with all the crazy inner layers of fiberglass and vertical laminates.  Other people comment how crisp it sounds — and feels if they try it. Now I’m curious how loud that deck would be with an Indy. Not curious enough to try - cuz I’m not giving up the grind and turn.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #7436 on: January 08, 2020, 09:43:33 PM »
This is interesting about the Ace pop sound. Maybe I should do a direct comparison with some other trucks I have. I do remember having loose kingpin Aces and popping on those made a thud-sound instead of a crisp snap until I fixed them.

I posted this earlier but Ace uses a completely different alloy than (most? all?) other trucks. Without heat treatment it's about the same hardness as the heat treated Indys/Thunders/Ventures and according to the Ace website only the axles are heat treated. This probably has an effect on many aspects of their performance.

texasplant

« Reply #7437 on: January 08, 2020, 11:00:24 PM »
This is interesting about the Ace pop sound. Maybe I should do a direct comparison with some other trucks I have. I do remember having loose kingpin Aces and popping on those made a thud-sound instead of a crisp snap until I fixed them.

I posted this earlier but Ace uses a completely different alloy than (most? all?) other trucks. Without heat treatment it's about the same hardness as the heat treated Indys/Thunders/Ventures and according to the Ace website only the axles are heat treated. This probably has an effect on many aspects of their performance.

Hmm maybe my kingpins are loose. Is the only way to check taking the hangar off? How would i go about fixing them, if so?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7438 on: January 08, 2020, 11:27:00 PM »
I don't understand why a loose kingpin would make your board sound dead...

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #7439 on: January 08, 2020, 11:37:21 PM »
I had one loose last summer and it drove me mad, like having a dead bearing, loose hardware and delaminated board at the same time.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.