Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1233182 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7650 on: January 24, 2020, 09:17:10 AM »
ACE bottoms are 86a hardness. That's soft compared to any other stock truck bottom bushing.

It's cranked down too much + your weight, which is why it's squashing out, filling up that washer and spilling over.

I'm 180lbs. Stock Ace bushings, flushish nut (I usually loosen ACE 1/2 a turn) no bushing issues ever.

Suggest:

Harder bottom bushing. Krux/ML/Indy after markets.

Indy bottom washer (they're a bit bigger; note the aftermarket and stock differ with the aftermarkets being nicer and shaped more like ACE stocks)

Flat bottom washer

« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 09:59:32 AM by Xen »

BMCsteve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #7651 on: January 24, 2020, 10:30:57 AM »
Take off the bushing and make sure the machined side (you’ll see a series of circles) is making contact with the hangar and not the washer

• Rep: 1
« Reply #7652 on: January 24, 2020, 05:36:30 PM »
That is it. That's the post. Ventures are good trucks.

i just swapped out thunder hollow lights 151s for venture 6.1s and i'm loving the change.

i was worried they ~wouldn't turn~ based on some of the claims made in this thread but they turn like an absolute dream on the 8.38 antihero i'm riding ! pop feel has been massively improved despite the slight increase in heft, and the stock bushings have been suuuper plush and responsive straight out-da-box~

i'm also loving the solidness and additional vibrational data provided by the non-hollow setup...shit's been feeling pretty dead for a minute now and i'm glad i finally know why :0

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7653 on: January 24, 2020, 05:48:37 PM »
They turn fine, just different.

Also, they don't get as loose as say, Thunder or Indy can. 

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #7654 on: January 24, 2020, 05:52:01 PM »
I always have to switch out the stock bushings in my trucks to the aftermarket bushings. The urethane they use for stock bushings is always crap lower quality. They say it's to keep costs down, but I'd rather pay an extra 6 bucks for trucks with high quality bushings already installed.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #7655 on: January 24, 2020, 05:58:12 PM »
Honestly the opposite, never changed the bushing. Feel like it’s a slippery slope. Not sure I’m ready and I don’t ride that loose anyway, 200lbs and prefer some stability

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7656 on: January 24, 2020, 08:48:09 PM »
Expand Quote

I just tighten them a little and the fat chick with tight clothes syndrome happened
[close]

That can't be the stock bottom washer? I've never tightened them on my recent (current stage) 44s and never had that happen.

way too tight. You need much harder replacement bushings. Trucks should never be hammered down like that these days.

Thats like some old double barrel bushing flat top washer indy 2 shit.

I ride them with bones tops. No threads showing because i like squirrely trucks.

I ride most high trucks like that except Indy.

Stock bottom bones top. In the summer ill have a red top for my ventures highs tho.

Does anyone know where i can see the complete thunder and venture stages. I know there a forum with the indy stages but i want more because im a lifer truck nerd.

My friends letting me clean up his bearings and buff the rusted axles. I saw a made in the usa stamp ive not seen.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

wish i could keep them but he said no.

He has a slasher too.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #7657 on: January 24, 2020, 09:04:02 PM »
I thought that old school forum had thread about old Thunders and Ventures. Pretty sure I saw them talking about T4's?

I know there's an old TWS article about Venture that's still up on their site. If I can hunt it I'll put the link here.

https://skateboarding.transworld.net/news/venture-adventures-of-an-aluminum-upstart/

https://skateboarding.transworld.net/news/skateboarding-s-first-modern-truck/
Tracker. I thought there was a Thunder article too
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 09:15:12 PM by satan »

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #7658 on: January 26, 2020, 09:45:14 AM »
Might just try conical softs because 2 times in a row from 2 different shops I've been sent conicals when I ordered cylinders.

I used to ride bones when I was a kid and those were conical so maybe it will work out.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7659 on: January 26, 2020, 10:43:07 AM »
Might just try conical softs because 2 times in a row from 2 different shops I've been sent conicals when I ordered cylinders.

I used to ride bones when I was a kid and those were conical so maybe it will work out.

i luv the indy conical.

I have no idea why they put that barrel back on. The conical girp are 100x better. I definitely get a better turn. And i can ride them looser with less wheel bite. I have no idea why.

If i was in California weather id never waste the money on bones bushings.

I never ride the bones bottoms at all anymore.

I wish i could send all these bottom bushings for tops.
(A)pl(E)

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #7660 on: January 26, 2020, 10:46:17 AM »

Does anyone know where i can see the complete thunder and venture stages. I know there a forum with the indy stages but i want more because im a lifer truck nerd.

16 pages of Thunder history.

https://www.skullandbonesskateboards.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=105448&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Notably Shrewgy destined Stage 3s, He is now one of the key players at Ace.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 10:48:14 AM by Fred Gerwer Frank Gall »

Heather Chandler

« Reply #7661 on: January 26, 2020, 03:46:55 PM »
I bought a big bag of flat washers, use them for all trucks.  Allows for shaving down bushings and replacing with double washers, if you want. Can really open up plethora of options for setting up trucks for different types of turning/carve.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7662 on: January 26, 2020, 04:04:17 PM »
How do Ventures grind compared to Indys?

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7663 on: January 26, 2020, 09:54:02 PM »

I skated for like half an hour on them and they actually felt really good. I feel like conicals are great for loose trucks because the turning feels so precise. When I was skating my hardest when I was younger my trucks were pretty tight, I feel like conicals made getting used to loose trucks so much easier as I have been trying to get used to a looser ride for a while now.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7664 on: January 27, 2020, 12:39:42 AM »
what bushings are a similar to the ace low roadside? could just get the aces, but rather not spend $8 for a bottom bushing i will never use if theres other options
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7665 on: January 27, 2020, 06:42:50 AM »
Just a heads up. Probably not a good idea to order bushings from Amazon Prime retailers. I ordered from one and they sent indy conicals instead of cylinders like I ordered. I returned them, and picked a different Prime storefront, paid an extra 50 cents because they were an actual boardshop and figured they wouldn't fuck up, but the exact same thing happened, I received conicals instead of cylinders. I contacted Amazon and asked don't you guys store and ship the product in one of your warehouses since it's a Prime retailer? They said no it's coming straight from the shop. I contacted the shop and he said their stuff is absolutely stored and shipped by amazon in one of their warehouses. I let him know it had happened with a different shop as well. He told me to keep the conicals and he'll send me a refund. I'm taking the refund because I've only ridden them for half an hour and liked them, but I'm not sure. Cool of him to make things right. So Amazon employee's can't be counted on at the moment I guess to grab the right bushings.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7666 on: January 27, 2020, 07:48:23 AM »
Last day with the thunder teams. I have to give them back today. I was thinking of punking him off but im not that guy anymore.

I can go to a Granite curb that's kind of chunky or I could go to the Manny pad or I could go to the waterside cemetery and make a little video of the 10" wide crooked manny pad.

What would you do if you had like 5 or 6 hr left with the trucks you grew up with.

Also aftet like 15hrs of skating I recommend 8.38 deck with the venture 5.6 over the 8.25. I can elaborate after i sesh if anyone cares to know.

Though im skating like shit 14.5 of those hrs.
(A)pl(E)

Stigmata

• Rep: 8
« Reply #7667 on: January 27, 2020, 08:48:40 AM »
Just a heads up. Probably not a good idea to order bushings from Amazon Prime retailers. I ordered from one and they sent indy conicals instead of cylinders like I ordered. I returned them, and picked a different Prime storefront, paid an extra 50 cents because they were an actual boardshop and figured they wouldn't fuck up, but the exact same thing happened, I received conicals instead of cylinders. I contacted Amazon and asked don't you guys store and ship the product in one of your warehouses since it's a Prime retailer? They said no it's coming straight from the shop. I contacted the shop and he said their stuff is absolutely stored and shipped by amazon in one of their warehouses. I let him know it had happened with a different shop as well. He told me to keep the conicals and he'll send me a refund. I'm taking the refund because I've only ridden them for half an hour and liked them, but I'm not sure. Cool of him to make things right. So Amazon employee's can't be counted on at the moment I guess to grab the right bushings.

The same thing happened to me from Amazon, and whats funny i now only skate the conicals lol. They make my Indys have a more Thunder turning feel.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7668 on: January 27, 2020, 09:16:08 AM »
Last day with the thunder teams. I have to give them back today. I was thinking of punking him off but im not that guy anymore.

I can go to a Granite curb that's kind of chunky or I could go to the Manny pad or I could go to the waterside cemetery and make a little video of the 10" wide crooked manny pad.

What would you do if you had like 5 or 6 hr left with the trucks you grew up with.

Also aftet like 15hrs of skating I recommend 8.38 deck with the venture 5.6 over the 8.25. I can elaborate after i sesh if anyone cares to know.

8.3s with 8.25" trucks is a really sweet spot, if you can handle the 8.3.

Just go buy some thunders?

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #7669 on: January 27, 2020, 11:42:15 AM »

Elaborate away. I’m thinking about copping some regular venture  5.6 to run on 8.25 - 8.38. So I’m curious to others opinions about it before I try it out.

sadnocomply

• Rep: 137
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #7670 on: January 27, 2020, 11:58:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Elaborate away. I’m thinking about copping some regular venture  5.6 to run on 8.25 - 8.38. So I’m curious to others opinions about it before I try it out.
Do it, they are great I ride 8-8.3 with venture 5.6

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7671 on: January 27, 2020, 03:27:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I ride 8.3x or 8.25 pretty often, prior the 8.25" push from the big truck Cos. I rode 149s until Theeve pushed out the 8.18" - if I could find a TRUE 8.3 (Creature still makes one but it's longer than I'd like) I'd be on it with 8.25s".

Last 8.3 was from #numbers and rode it with Theeves, brilliant feel. It's closer in widths than 8" trucks on an 8.35" so it doesn't feel magic carpety and you still get grind room. I say go for it.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7672 on: January 27, 2020, 03:40:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The same thing happened to me from Amazon, and whats funny i now only skate the conicals lol. They make my Indys have a more Thunder turning feel.
I think that’s going to be the case here too. I’m hoping it will help me get some tricks back easier. Like a better pinch on crooks and feebles.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #7673 on: January 27, 2020, 04:27:08 PM »
lol the rumors were true.
s/o grindking IG for heckling them to the point they actually did this

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #7674 on: January 27, 2020, 05:03:36 PM »
What trucks do you guys think are the best for weak / shitty ankles? I rotate between the big 3 because I like features of each. But my ankle is trash and I am over thinking about it. Currently got Indys but pondering the sweet delicate stability of ventures. Worried that the deep turning of Indy, thunder or ace may allow my weak ankle to roll on sight

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #7675 on: January 27, 2020, 05:18:18 PM »
What trucks do you guys think are the best for weak / shitty ankles? I rotate between the big 3 because I like features of each. But my ankle is trash and I am over thinking about it. Currently got Indys but pondering the sweet delicate stability of ventures. Worried that the deep turning of Indy, thunder or ace may allow my weak ankle to roll on sight

maybe some orthotics would be good. thunders are a good middle ground for ventures and indy.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7676 on: January 27, 2020, 06:38:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

first off my heel flips are exploding. I can barely keep them under me. Thats not my high popping trick at all.

Truck turns pretty good. Im not in danger of getting run over when im pushing switch down town in traffic.

Like Krux is a danger truck for me. I cannot get those to turn qt all while pushing switch. Ill get run the fuck over.

I had issues at the manny pad again though. My tre is flipping wicked frickin slow 90% of the time. That'd be really really nice if i was jumping down shit.

Impossible is happening again though im landing primo a ton.
Got v heel in all 4s

Im still whiffing fakie tricks.

I have to put like 20 more hrs on these to be back to normal. I did put a new wheel on thats pretty big. Added like 5 to 6 mm

I rode the thunders mostly today. No formula4. Was nice but i kept getting wheel bite. I got 52s?  Some random wheel looks like an alien knock.

Has cartoon water drops and reads "the wheel is waterproof" i think.

If i had the proper bushings id like them better. Kid has bones meds in them. He ruined the light blue stock ones in some indys hes riding.

Venture over thunder it looks like rn.
Unless you're on like a 8" down. Then id go with the thunder teams.

I still think ace is the best but i need more time out on the 5.6. And in the street not the park. Maybe after the dentist tomorrow ill be near the flat gap and the long buttery curbs. Maybe ill go see if wonderland is popping. Likely covered in sand.

Oh yeah i did some slappi on a yellow un waxed curb np at stop and shop before and after shopping. Ive het it on the aces. They are loud as fucking hell. Way louder than Indy. Must be the dope looking hangers.

i have found looser trucks to be better on my ankles. Land a flip trick funny and it will be more forgiving. If you've found the opposite I would go with a venture low or a krux. Idk if those come low.
The lower you are the easier it is to push. Same with little wheels. Takes less effort to hit max pushing speed.

Ive pretty much always rode loose though my ankles are meh. My knees are cooked thats why i use fp insoles if i can afford them especially in dunks. Every Xmas someone asks me what i want. Insoles  guitar strings and hash plz and thanks.

I thought i might be done before i found those during my acl issue.

If getting wheel bite and having to run out is an issue id go ventures hi or why not try grind kings.

(A)pl(E)

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #7677 on: January 27, 2020, 07:33:32 PM »
I'm just trying to understand your options..
Are you gonna have very limited mobility in your ankle? So your afraid carvier will be more strain on your ankle?
Can you take all your weight on your bad ankle? I'd think about that, tic-tacs, and tight trucks. For me kickturns put a peaky, short amount of stress on my ankle.
I'd ride the trucks I was used to or liked, Indy for me, but maybe not surfy loose. Medium loose, no wobbles but don't have to push hard with my ankles to get them to carve.
I'm also thinking orange aftermarket Indy bushings when I'm imagining this setup.
Ya. I agree that looser trucks will be more forgiving. Might even try a shock/riser pad or those foam Shorty's thingies.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7678 on: January 27, 2020, 09:30:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I ride 8.3x or 8.25 pretty often, prior the 8.25" push from the big truck Cos. I rode 149s until Theeve pushed out the 8.18" - if I could find a TRUE 8.3 (Creature still makes one but it's longer than I'd like) I'd be on it with 8.25s".

Last 8.3 was from #numbers and rode it with Theeves, brilliant feel. It's closer in widths than 8" trucks on an 8.35" so it doesn't feel magic carpety and you still get grind room. I say go for it.

What size Theeve trucks did you ride on the 8.3? I got a pair of 5.25s, thinking of trying them with an 8.38 board.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7679 on: January 27, 2020, 11:30:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

What size Theeve trucks did you ride on the 8.3? I got a pair of 5.25s, thinking of trying them with an 8.38 board.

5.5s/8.18" tikings