Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231787 times)

Saint Coke

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7830 on: February 22, 2020, 07:26:12 PM »
So I want to progress but I'm wondering if my loose trucks are stopping me from progression. I am 250 pounds but I put on winter weight. I am 5'8 and have been skating for 5 years. Started out cruising and slowly got into tricks. I live in Iowa (I am COTD btw) This is my at home account. I want to be able to progress and be able to learn in skateboarding but I feel like a lot of my gear choices are holding me back. I have a brand new spring board that I'll be skating tomorrow with ventures. I want to try them with base tightness. I just want to see if I can skate like this. I often skate Spitfire Concials but I am wondering if that the reason I only skate them is for the looks and not the feel. I usually skate 99's but maybe I should skate 101's for the extra slide. I want to try different wheel shapes. I want to progress and grow with skating but feel limited due to the gear I use and my body. I am heavy, I am trying to loose weight but it's hard due to my hypothyroidism and being cooped up in winter. 

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7831 on: February 22, 2020, 09:34:14 PM »
So I want to progress but I'm wondering if my loose trucks are stopping me from progression. I am 250 pounds but I put on winter weight. I am 5'8 and have been skating for 5 years. Started out cruising and slowly got into tricks. I live in Iowa (I am COTD btw) This is my at home account. I want to be able to progress and be able to learn in skateboarding but I feel like a lot of my gear choices are holding me back. I have a brand new spring board that I'll be skating tomorrow with ventures. I want to try them with base tightness. I just want to see if I can skate like this. I often skate Spitfire Concials but I am wondering if that the reason I only skate them is for the looks and not the feel. I usually skate 99's but maybe I should skate 101's for the extra slide. I want to try different wheel shapes. I want to progress and grow with skating but feel limited due to the gear I use and my body. I am heavy, I am trying to loose weight but it's hard due to my hypothyroidism and being cooped up in winter.
maybe lay off the brown coke and pick up the white coke
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

TD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
« Reply #7832 on: February 23, 2020, 05:23:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

another option is to just try tensors dude (will probably work best with white coke)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7833 on: February 23, 2020, 05:55:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

another option is to just try tensors dude (will probably work best with white coke)

Just develop an addiction to WB and skate gear like the rest of us, you won't have money for brown or white coke.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 08:34:32 AM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Saint Coke

« Reply #7834 on: February 23, 2020, 08:21:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Just develop an addition to WB and skate gear like the rest of us, you won't have money for brown or white coke.
I got the set up craze from Ben Degros, Finally trying a 14' WB on a 8.75 board. Wonder how it will feel. I got ventures which I heard was good for short wb. Gotta try new things.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7835 on: February 23, 2020, 08:37:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Just develop an addition to WB and skate gear like the rest of us, you won't have money for brown or white coke.
[close]
I got the set up craze from Ben Degros, Finally trying a 14' WB on a 8.75 board. Wonder how it will feel. I got ventures which I heard was good for short wb. Gotta try new things.

Where do you find a 8.75 with a 14 WB?! I thought it would be at least 14.25 with a 32 length
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Saint Coke

« Reply #7836 on: February 23, 2020, 09:47:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Where do you find a 8.75 with a 14 WB?! I thought it would be at least 14.25 with a 32 length
Lance mountain crest board.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #7837 on: February 23, 2020, 02:16:01 PM »
Chico big boy is same idea no? 

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
« Reply #7838 on: February 23, 2020, 06:41:16 PM »
Wade running a bones medium on the bottom on his Thunders.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 06:45:21 PM by chris. »

Saint Coke

« Reply #7839 on: February 23, 2020, 06:42:38 PM »
Chico big boy is same idea no?
Possibly? I know Guy Mariano talks about how WB is more important than width.

Saint Coke

« Reply #7840 on: February 23, 2020, 07:22:20 PM »
What size aces is best for boards 8.5 through 9? 55's seem good and plan on skating AH boards.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #7841 on: February 23, 2020, 07:28:39 PM »
Wade running a bones medium on the bottom on his Thunders.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=10804.msg3225019#msg3225019

5boro 8.125
Venture 5.2s
Spitfire 53mms
Reds
Mob grip
Ok wtf?
Is it something wonky with the pics? Or are both these setups running larger conical or barrel bushings on top (roadside)?
Also looks like a large cup washer on top. Might hit the hanger/yoke sooner and be like training wheels for loose trucks?

Those Crail 8.25's Guy is talking about have 14" wb

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #7842 on: February 23, 2020, 10:44:08 PM »
I always thought thunder bottoms were pretty big so bones wouldn't work...

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #7843 on: February 24, 2020, 09:54:01 AM »

Bones bottoms are a close enough height if you use the washer.  Using it like the above without it is too short.  I'm considering using a Bones top on my 147s so I can get rid of the top washer.  With a washer, I can't get the rubber engaged in the nut without the trucks feeling waaay too tight - even with the 90a bushings.  I tried putting softer (84a Mini Logo and Ace) bushings in it and they blow off the washers.   If the Bones top doesn't work, I'm done with Thunder.  I have another setup with Mini Logo 8" that actually turn.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7844 on: February 24, 2020, 10:46:35 AM »

People say it doesn't work, yet people do it with no issue..Dylan did it, these dudes are doing it - I've done it, not sure how much it throws off the truck but it works and seriously, a few weeks in, those stock thunder bottoms are squashed down anyways...

Diocletian

« Reply #7845 on: February 24, 2020, 10:48:49 AM »
Damn Bones bottoms are too short for thunders? I’ve been using hard Bones bottoms with great results thinking it’s been keeping stock height. I’ll put bottom bones washers in if that’s the case.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7846 on: February 24, 2020, 10:56:22 AM »
Damn Bones bottoms are too short for thunders? I’ve been using hard Bones bottoms with great results thinking it’s been keeping stock height. I’ll put bottom bones washers in if that’s the case.

You'd need 2 bones washers in order to reach stock thunder bottom bushing height...(including washer)

If you are currently having great results as is, why change? If it works, don't fix it.

A while back I ran 8" Thunder TIs with bones softs top and bottom, no washers, on an 8.25" and it worked like magic.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 02:07:22 PM by Xen »

Diocletian

« Reply #7847 on: February 24, 2020, 12:16:20 PM »
I guess I just don’t wanna do any damage but I’m also running Ti’s so I suppose that pivot will be fine since the plates are forged.

Saint Coke

« Reply #7848 on: February 24, 2020, 03:08:31 PM »
Update: I went skating today for an hour after work and like the combo I got at the moment. The ventures feel good but a little tight and I am experimenting with the washers and stuff. I learned to fs 180 down a curb so I am stoked.

lysdexia

• Rep: 4
« Reply #7849 on: February 24, 2020, 03:23:14 PM »
I guess I just don’t wanna do any damage but I’m also running Ti’s so I suppose that pivot will be fine since the plates are forged.

you won't do any damage, it'd just throw the geometry out a bit.

but if it's working for you, then the geo is fine.  just skate them.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7850 on: February 24, 2020, 10:06:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

People run all sorts of trucks bushing combos that wonky...hell I can't even understand why any truck that ships with conical bottoms even has a bottom 'cupped' washer....
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 02:07:45 PM by Xen »

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7851 on: February 25, 2020, 10:38:09 AM »
Update: I went skating today for an hour after work and like the combo I got at the moment. The ventures feel good but a little tight and I am experimenting with the washers and stuff. I learned to fs 180 down a curb so I am stoked.

Aye good shit. 180's off stuff even curbs still get me a little nervous, but love 180's into banks.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #7852 on: February 25, 2020, 12:37:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Aye good shit. 180's off stuff even curbs still get me a little nervous, but love 180's into banks.

I would almost rather 180 off something than Ollie at this point. Couldn’t explain why but it might be because I won’t kick a 180 away as quickly

Saint Coke

« Reply #7853 on: February 25, 2020, 03:06:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I would almost rather 180 off something than Ollie at this point. Couldn’t explain why but it might be because I won’t kick a 180 away as quickly

Yeah I first did it when messing around and realized that I could do it. When I first did it, I felt a weird motion and felt like I could do it. Welp, I did and I was so stoked. Fs anything is rad. I like seeing fs flips. Maybe one day that'll be me.

Diocletian

« Reply #7854 on: February 27, 2020, 07:18:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

People run all sorts of trucks bushing combos that wonky...hell I can't even understand why any truck that ships with conical bottoms even has a bottom 'cupped' washer....

I tested it out in a level surface and stock thunder bottoms with the stock cup washer is equal to a bottom bones with a bones washer underneath. Two bones washers made them a hair too tall.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7855 on: February 27, 2020, 11:42:37 AM »
New stocks thunders and bones or have they both been ridden/compressed somewhat?

Just kidding, I don't care :P

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #7856 on: February 27, 2020, 12:08:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

fs 180s is like a natural all in one motion thing. 5050s with a 180 out is a great feeling trick and your next goal :)

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #7857 on: February 27, 2020, 12:15:08 PM »
IG: @flowterspace

Diocletian

« Reply #7858 on: February 27, 2020, 01:23:00 PM »
I tried to find ones like those at the hardware store and the center hole was a little too wide for my liking and they would shift around above or underneath the bushing too much. Are those a nice proper fit?

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 845
« Reply #7859 on: February 27, 2020, 02:48:53 PM »
$40 ATG Mag Light 5.5's at TGM

https://tgmskateboards.com/tensor-trucks-5-5-mag-light-neon-yellow-black-8-25-axle/

God awful color and only 1 in stock, but hey they're cheap and the shipping is free.

Btw I saw some people mention bigger boards with 14" wb - the ScumCo logo decks from Pennswood come in 8.75" with a 14" wb. Doesn't look he has any in-stock on the site but you could email him and ask. I've got an 8.75", it's way too big for me but it was black and yellow so I bought it... use it as a cruiser sometimes and it's like driving a cadillac body on a honda frame or something. Feels kind of weird but not in an unpleasant way.

Edit: Found one

https://day-after-day-supply.myshopify.com/products/scum-co-8-75-logo