Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231117 times)

satan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 38
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7920 on: March 08, 2020, 03:41:43 PM »
Expand Quote
How do you measure truck height? I know you based it off the distance between the baseplate and axle, but I don't know if you end at the bottom of the axle or at the middle of the axle.
[close]

bottom of the baseplate to top the center of the axle

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #7921 on: March 08, 2020, 04:51:44 PM »
I was just going through my box of old skate stuff and realized I have a set of Stage 10 149's with plenty of life left.  I know some of the older Indy pros skate older stages.  Are these worth anything?

Stage 8 and older tend to be the one's people pay for. 9 (bad baseplates) and 10 (bad turn) have a bit of a shit reputation.

That said, you never know, someone might be after them. I was watching a set of stage 8 156's on ebay recently, ground nearly to death, non original bushings, with aftermarket GK inverted kingpins, and they sold for nearly $100 (CDN). Kinda crazy. 

dakara

• Rep: 4
« Reply #7922 on: March 09, 2020, 04:27:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

What are the dimensions on the board you are riding? I find Indys on a shorter deck can make the board turn very sharply and be too light on the pop. Going the other extreme with Venture Hollow Light trucks will make the board turn more gradually but you will struggle to get pop on a shorter board since the tail gets shortened.
[close]

It is short, 8x31.25x13.75 wheelbase. It’s a Japanese shop blank, when I asked the dude at the shop why they are so short( I Measured weeks after buying) he said that it was because Japanese skaters are generally shorter. Extremely short wheelbase when paired with indies, never thought about it but makes sense it’s twitchy with turn, same with cars. It does indeed pop like shit too and I get into that on the wb thread, but I tried using the nose as the tail a few days ago and that somewhat rectified that problem. Def wanna go with a whole new setup soon though but money is really tight and gear is expensive here so for the time being I’m working with what I’ve got.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’m trying to improve stability on my extremely squirrelly setup without losing too much turn. As it stands it feels like I’m standing on a tightrope when setting up for tricks.  I have an 8 inch deck on Indy stage 9 129samd keep them loose enough to were I can make a fairly tight 90degree turn Around a corner when skating in the city. Normally I would just buy 8.25 trucks, but I cant afford that at the moment. I was thinking about going with some Indy hard bushings or medium hards. How much of a difference are the medium hards than stock? I only weigh 110lbs so am hesitant to go with hards. Any other setup tricks to get more stability without compromising turn too much like with washers and hard/soft bushing combos etc?
[close]
Stage 9 duralites have conical bottom bushings, right?
A cylinder/barrel bushing should be a lil more stable on center, but not dive into turns as quickly.
I'd suggest trying orange (90a?) Indy or Thunder/Deluxe cylinders.
I feel like trucks even with board width is more stable if you're talking about actually lifting wheels off the ground.
Trucks wider than my board bugs me tho.
You link up with any other jdm guys? With the way some ppl here change up their gear you guys might be able to just trade stuff.
[close]

Yes they are dual conical. Hmm I think I’m going to try that.

I don’t hang out with many skate dudes, just people that practice flat ground at the local non skate park if I happen to be there at the same time as them we chat a little and session the diy curb there and they don’t seem to be gearheads, so idk if trading is an option.
[close]

Sound like an Evisen blank, which is from the dwindle / DSM woodshop. They tend to make tiny boards below 31.6" length and 14" WB. Flippy but way too tiny for my liking, and I'm a small Asian (170cm, 65kg). Experimented with:
Destrucos (fairly similar to Indys) - nose became too light, but turned well
Venture - board became too heavy with a much longer WB and shrinking the tail with already steep kicks
Thunder - right down the middle, made the board skate-able but not amazing

I'm pretty biased against Indys, never had a great experience with them, only so-so.

Ya it’s the reptile brand that’s in every skate shop here. When I bought my first I e over a year ago they said it was dsm. When I was at the shop a couple weeks ago though and was inquiring about the wheelbase I asked “ these are dsm right?” And the dude at hi Sox said they used to be but now it’s something different, but they seem identical to past ones so idk what’s going on. I’m also 170cm and Asian but only weigh 50kg lol. I am too broke to afford trucks at japan  prices right now from moving and I’m getting married in the summer, so I’m just going to fiddle with some bushing setups. I’ve kind of rectified the tiny feeling by using the relatively big nose as my tail, still run out of room when sliding or flicking my front foot up but the bigger tail helps with leverage. If I can swing it I wanna go with their 8.25x14wb blank next perhaps with some venture 5.6 or 5.8. I like indys as a middle of the road truck but I can’t justify paying 10000yen for every deck so I might just stick with blanks and go with the biggest one they got and get used to it. 8.25 with a 14wb is short but not outrageous especially with some ventures
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 04:31:56 AM by dakara »

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7923 on: March 09, 2020, 08:26:39 AM »
I was just going through my box of old skate stuff and realized I have a set of Stage 10 149's with plenty of life left.  I know some of the older Indy pros skate older stages.  Are these worth anything?

Was about to set up a pair of new stage 10s I had sitting in a box so I really hope not

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7924 on: March 09, 2020, 10:34:23 AM »
via Imgflip Meme Generator

I'm gonna skate these today maybe. I don't have any smaller boards rn. Going magic carpet to the max
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7925 on: March 09, 2020, 11:12:05 AM »
Did my first franken truck with leftover trucks I had lying around:

Venture 5.2 Hollow Hi Baseplate + Venture 5.8 Hanger

The 5.2s were looking a tiny on an 8" and unstable. Kept the forged baseplate and went with a larger hanger. Hopefully it feels ok tomorrow. Didn't want to blow more cash on more trucks after going over budget last month.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #7926 on: March 09, 2020, 11:58:03 AM »
I revived some old 149s with bones and riptide pivot cups and I like them more now than I ever did before. They’re also the perfect for this flat 8.25” deck that I have been trying to make work.

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #7927 on: March 09, 2020, 12:08:36 PM »

The 5.2s were looking a tiny on an 8" and unstable. Kept the forged baseplate and went with a larger hanger. Hopefully it feels ok tomorrow. Didn't want to blow more cash on more trucks after going over budget last month.
8" trucks look tiny on 8" boards? ok...

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #7928 on: March 09, 2020, 02:47:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Was about to set up a pair of new stage 10s I had sitting in a box so I really hope not

I swear Gilbert Crockett still skated an older stage but I don’t know which one, either 8 or 10
yes

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #7929 on: March 09, 2020, 05:53:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I swear Gilbert Crockett still skated an older stage but I don’t know which one, either 8 or 10

8's, according to this article,
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2018/05/08/look-cult-independent-trucks/

That said, he posted a setup pic a few months back and it looked like normal Stage 11's (oval yoke). So, who knows.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7930 on: March 09, 2020, 05:54:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
8" trucks look tiny on 8" boards? ok...

8.25" board, it was 2am.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7931 on: March 10, 2020, 07:59:30 PM »
Full double sided curb truck width wheel clearance?

It's been a while but do do 8.75-in trucks on average, allow you to sit on top of the curb with enough wheel clearance on each side as 149s don't.

I say on average because clearly curb widths are different place to place but I'm trying to avoid going to 169's or 6.1's or whatever the fuck it is just to make sure I've got clearance if 875 can do just fine.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #7932 on: March 10, 2020, 08:35:42 PM »

It's been a while but do do 8.75-in trucks on average, allow you to sit on top of the curb with enough wheel clearance on each side as 149s don't.

I say on average because clearly curb widths are different place to place but I'm trying to avoid going to 169's or 6.1's or whatever the fuck it is just to make sure I've got clearance if 875 can do just fine.
I asked this too and got crickets..
Resorted to eyeballing my 139's on my local curbs and actually googled curb dimensions. There's city code info out there for civil engineers but curb width isn't always strictly defined. Iirc 8" tall is pretty average. And this is where I started to see parking block dimensions..
Eyeballing 139's and classics I think 159's would just barely work, and 169's would overlap.
I'm thinking of getting radials or conical fulls to be safe and lil bit cuz that just looks right to me.
Lotsa curbs by me have mulch in the planters so I didn't wanna be doing landscaping with 169's.

Your other post and slappies.. I think you're on the right track with wider being better but I just learned fs slappies recently on a magical, slanted curb..
Putting my board primo against it, my board is a lil taller than the curb but my trucks don't touch. I'm thinking/hoping 159's should be easier for taller, steeper curbs.

*Please don't say you got a 8.625" Primitive. That would really weird me out ;)

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #7933 on: March 10, 2020, 08:56:13 PM »

everyone hates on the 10’s cause of the turning/height. but I personally loved them. still have an unused set of stage 10 149’s and a lightly used set of 139’s. nothing beats a pair of stage 8’s though imo. that’s what I started on. indy stage 9 were god awful though.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7934 on: March 10, 2020, 09:03:17 PM »

As an Indy rider, this is way too true especially amongst older skaters.

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #7935 on: March 10, 2020, 09:50:18 PM »
dumb q, but is it possible to have a Indy stage 11 with only 4 bolt holes? Just realized my popsicle set up only has 4 holes, while my cruiser has 6, and my oblivious ass thought they were the same trucks.

Maybe I’m running 10s on my popsicle?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7936 on: March 10, 2020, 09:52:32 PM »

Love it.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #7937 on: March 10, 2020, 09:52:55 PM »
dumb q, but is it possible to have a Indy stage 11 with only 4 bolt holes? Just realized my popsicle set up only has 4 holes, while my cruiser has 6, and my oblivious ass thought they were the same trucks.

109, 159 and 169 have 6 hole baseplates. 129-149 have 4 hole baseplates.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7938 on: March 10, 2020, 09:54:19 PM »
any indy stage 11 that is 149 and below has 4 bolt holes. anything 159 and above has 6. You can also tell if they are stage 11 by looking on the hanger behind the kingpin. it will be a Roman numeral that relates to the size IE: 129=II  139=III and so on.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7939 on: March 10, 2020, 09:55:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

109, 159 and 169 have 6 hole baseplates. 129-149 have 4 hole baseplates.

oh shit, yea I forgot the 109 have 6 as well..

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7940 on: March 10, 2020, 09:58:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I asked this too and got crickets..
Resorted to eyeballing my 139's on my local curbs and actually googled curb dimensions. There's city code info out there for civil engineers but curb width isn't always strictly defined. Iirc 8" tall is pretty average. And this is where I started to see parking block dimensions..
Eyeballing 139's and classics I think 159's would just barely work, and 169's would overlap.
I'm thinking of getting radials or conical fulls to be safe and lil bit cuz that just looks right to me.
Lotsa curbs by me have mulch in the planters so I didn't wanna be doing landscaping with 169's.

Your other post and slappies.. I think you're on the right track with wider being better but I just learned fs slappies recently on a magical, slanted curb..
Putting my board primo against it, my board is a lil taller than the curb but my trucks don't touch. I'm thinking/hoping 159's should be easier for taller, steeper curbs.

*Please don't say you got a 8.625" Primitive. That would really weird me out ;)

Nope! 8.625 madness slick bottom with wheel wells ;)

YungJugg

« Reply #7941 on: March 10, 2020, 10:04:17 PM »
any indy stage 11 that is 149 and below has 4 bolt holes. anything 159 and above has 6. You can also tell if they are stage 11 by looking on the hanger behind the kingpin. it will be a Roman numeral that relates to the size IE: 129=II  139=III and so on.

My front truck is IIII and my back truck is IV, what could that mean?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #7942 on: March 10, 2020, 10:34:50 PM »

my first truck meme, hopefully not the last  8)

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #7943 on: March 11, 2020, 07:39:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Roman numeral can be written IV or IIII so same size, different mold or another person writing the number.
Where can you see that, never saw those on my stage 11s

PMA

YungJugg

« Reply #7944 on: March 11, 2020, 07:50:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Roman numeral can be written IV or IIII so same size, different mold or another person writing the number.

On the hanger right behind your top bushing, this was new to me as well shoutout TFUCKINA. As long as my trucks are the same exact specs I don't mind, just weird they have two different roman numerals for the same number. At least it'll help me keep track of the front and back truck for future set ups.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 466
« Reply #7945 on: March 11, 2020, 07:52:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

On the hanger right behind your top bushing, this was new to me as well shoutout TFUCKINA. As long as my trucks are the same exact specs I don't mind, just weird they have two different roman numerals for the same number. At least it'll help me keep track of the front and back truck for future set ups.
IIII is 144, IV is 149

YungJugg

« Reply #7946 on: March 11, 2020, 09:43:53 AM »
jeez, have I really been skating two diff sized trucks this long without noticing?

If that's the case then I'm debating if I should continue or get a new truck. One thrashed grooved truck and one clean truck will certainly look weird.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 10:04:52 AM by YungJugg »

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #7947 on: March 11, 2020, 10:11:25 AM »
jeez, have I really been skating two diff sized trucks this long without noticing?

If that's the case then I'm debating if I should continue or get a new truck. One thrashed grooved truck and one clean truck will certainly look weird.

Cover the new one with stickers, problem solved
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #7948 on: March 11, 2020, 10:26:58 AM »
Just take one hanger of and compare them? Is this hard for you to figure out?

YungJugg

« Reply #7949 on: March 11, 2020, 01:44:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

samesies.  i run an indy 149 in front and indy 144 in back.  its a killer setup

I'm the opposite setup but yours seems slightly better, make the back a tad lighter. Yet, the size diff is close enough to where I didn't really notice it, so fuck it. In hindsight that'll explain why my back truck turns ever so slightly different though.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 04:34:03 AM by YungJugg »