Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231111 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8190 on: April 09, 2020, 03:22:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was gifted, what I believe to be some unground Stage 8 146s today. Curiosity got the best of me so I took out the 20+ year old bushings and  put in some newer  88a Indy barrel bushings and swapped my Ace 44s for them. I had no idea they'd turn so damn well. The harder metal is great also. Compared to my 44s, they are a tad wider (might actually measure 146mm on the money but they seem to have an 8 3/8" hanger like 44s), they are also a little higher and they push the wheelbase out a tiny bit more than Ace but less than Stage 11s. I'd say these turn a lot better than Stage 11s. They are not even that heavy. The only downside is there is not as much kingpin clearance. Pretty stoked though. These will do until an Ace 8.5 comes outs.
[close]

Proper jealous. I've managed to score stage 8 166's in that kind of shape but never 146's. They're indeed lighter than stage 11's, but as you noted the clearance is bad. And they have a tendency to slip axles (although not as bad as stage 7's). Enjoy that turn. For my money that design is the best wb/turn/height ratio that they ever did.
[close]

sweet! these are the perfect candidate for the krux down low kingpin swap. and no jb weld is needed.
hammer out the old kingpin, the new nut will slide + lock right into the groves left from the old kingpin hex head.
clearance problem solved + you shave a few grams of weight w/new hollow king pins. here's a shot of my stage 7s.
i also have a tip for preventing the axle slip. will take some pics + share
[close]

please so. i wish i'd scored some 156s but the 146s will have to do. can't complain...
[close]
the stage 7+8 in that size are like todays 144s with 8.25" axles. i have a set, did the krux kingpin swap, and LOVE them.
to help prevent axle slip, i used a metal punch to 'crimp' the hanger metal into the exposed axle on the underside.
Give a few solid whacks to pinch the hanger metal into the axle. so far so good.

definitely let me know how that goes.

My epoxy jobs just won't hold.

Skated thunders today. It's been a while. Once I got over the wheel bite I remember why I always skated thunders and some other low trucks.

Tre flips hit so much harder with a low truck. I was getting into nose manny like every try. I'm definitely not stoked on 8.5 thunder flip speed with straight flip tricks.

Taller is better still.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 03:28:25 PM by Banned from the room »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #8191 on: April 09, 2020, 08:01:21 PM »

Pretty good and comparison on two diff decks.

One of my favorite trucks but I always use them with 1/8" risers to destabilize them a bit (and for added clearance). I skate nothing like Ben though... but glad I can slappy better than him....

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #8192 on: April 09, 2020, 08:30:55 PM »
Expand Quote

Pretty good and comparison on two diff decks.
[close]

One of my favorite trucks but I always use them with 1/8" risers to destabilize them a bit (and for added clearance). I skate nothing like Ben though... but glad I can slappy better than him....
yeah wondered about the risers bit w em same with 6.1, seems like he rides loose and w the conical fulls too..

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #8193 on: April 09, 2020, 08:53:29 PM »
Crazy timing, was just thinking about 151s and got some. Had two skates on some 151 hollow lights, great truck but probably won't be my go-to.
For context, I'm skating 8.25/8.38s mostly and just came from 5.8 Venture titaniums.

Good:
Broke in really quickly, grind nice and the turn/pop feel are all great. Like many people say they're quite twitchy in the turn but it's really controllable and responsive, then again I'm not too fussed about precisely how a truck turns as long as its decent.

The pop feel is good too, I like how low they are, I feel like they would have been a bit much for flatground if I got the heavier team version given that I ride a small-ish board. But since they were so light and low, all my flatground was completely manageable and I don't think it took noticeably more effort than on my Ventures. Things flipped a bit slower though, this took a little bit to get used to but made certain flip tricks 'fold' better and others feel really floaty and satisfying.

Pinch is great too, was definitely getting into my pinchy grinds more proper, though I struggled a bit with holding them since the hanger tweaks differently to ventures and they're a quarter inch wider... feel like a week or so in and it wouldn't be a problem and would be better overall.

No issues with wheelbite either which was one of my biggest concerns.

Bad:
Kingpin clearance is less than Ventures, scraping on smiths isn't fun, I'm sure it would be fine after grinding it down a bit but nonetheless would have liked more clearance. The thing with Ventures is that there's so much clearance at first, and by the time your truck is ground down your Kingpin is gradually worn down, so there's no uncomfortable phase of having to wear out a fresh kingpin with no clearance.

You can still do all your slide tricks just fine with the recessed baseplate, especially if you wax the side of the ledge. But it definitely slows you down a lot on the longer slides. On longer nose or tailslides I was rolling away with noticeably less speed than if I was sliding on the baseplate. That on top of always having to wax the side of the ledge was getting pretty annoying.

Summary:
I think I'm going to go back to Ventures, got a set of 5.8 v-lights sitting around. Probably would skate these more if they slid on the baseplate. You can work around it, but I feel like its such a fixable design flaw that you shouldn't have to... Ventures are also a tiny bit more stable when setting up your feet in awkward positions or when you're going really fast but it's a very small difference, easily negated by the added responsiveness of Thunders. Might set these up on a fuckaround setup in the future though, feel like they'd be pretty perfect on a non tech board where I'm not doing smiths noseslides and tailslides.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 08:55:10 PM by tzhangdox »

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8194 on: April 09, 2020, 08:59:14 PM »
Crazy timing, was just thinking about 151s and got some. Had two skates on some 151 hollow lights, great truck but probably won't be my go-to.
For context, I'm skating 8.25/8.38s mostly and just came from 5.8 Venture titaniums.

Good:
Broke in really quickly, grind nice and the turn/pop feel are all great. Like many people say they're quite twitchy in the turn but it's really controllable and responsive, then again I'm not too fussed about precisely how a truck turns as long as its decent.

The pop feel is good too, I like how low they are, I feel like they would have been a bit much for flatground if I got the heavier team version given that I ride a small-ish board. But since they were so light and low, all my flatground was completely manageable and I don't think it took noticeably more effort than on my Ventures. Things flipped a bit slower though, this took a little bit to get used to but made certain flip tricks 'fold' better and others feel really floaty and satisfying.

Pinch is great too, was definitely getting into my pinchy grinds more proper, though I struggled a bit with holding them since the hanger tweaks differently to ventures and they're a quarter inch wider... feel like a week or so in and it wouldn't be a problem and would be better overall.

Bad:
Kingpin clearance is less than Ventures, scraping on smiths isn't fun, I'm sure it would be fine after grinding it down a bit but nonetheless would have liked more clearance. The thing with Ventures is that there's so much clearance at first, and by the time your truck is ground down your Kingpin is gradually worn down, so there's no uncomfortable phase of having to wear out a fresh kingpin with no clearance.

You can still do all your slide tricks just fine with the recessed baseplate, especially if you wax the side of the ledge. But it definitely slows you down a lot on the longer slides. On longer nose or tailslides I was rolling away with noticeably less speed than if I was sliding on the baseplate. That on top of always having to wax the side of the ledge was getting pretty annoying.

Summary:
I think I'm going to go back to Ventures, got a set of 5.8 v-lights sitting around. Probably would skate these more if they slid on the baseplate. You can work around it, but I feel like its such a fixable design flaw that you shouldn't have to... Ventures are also a tiny bit more stable when setting up your feet in awkward positions or when you're going really fast but it's a very small difference, easily negated by the added responsiveness of Thunders. Might set these up on a fuckaround setup in the future though, feel like they'd be pretty perfect on a non tech board where I'm not doing smiths noseslides and tailslides.
what wheels did you run with them?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8195 on: April 09, 2020, 09:34:21 PM »
Expand Quote

Good:

Bad:

Summary:
[close]

sml ag formula 52mm 99a, the v-cut shape similar proportions to an f4 conical... worn down to probably 51. Great wheel, feels like a very slightly softer f4 so nice on rough ground but definitely still a hard wheel with a very nice slide. In my experience they bluntslide on ledges just as well as 99 f4s so I'm not convinced that the wheel was the limiting factor. Perhaps I'll try again when I set up my next set of wheels which are f4s.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 09:39:53 PM by tzhangdox »

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8196 on: April 09, 2020, 09:36:34 PM »
looking for a second truck to alternate with my thunder 151s on an 8.5 ish deck. either going with the 148 ti for better flip rotations or 149 ti to be flush with the deck. what should i go with?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #8197 on: April 09, 2020, 09:39:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Good:

Bad:

Summary:
[close]
[close]

sml ag formula 52mm 99a, the v-cut shape similar proportions to an f4 conical... worn down to probably 51. Great wheel, feels like a very slightly softer f4 so nice on rough ground but definitely still a hard wheel with a very nice slide. In my experience they bluntslide on ledges just as well as 99 f4s so I'm not convinced that this particular wheel was the limiting factor. Perhaps I'll try again when I set up my next set of wheels which are f4s.
im on around 50mm radial slims 99. i agree that what you listed as cons have little to do with your wheels. i want to run 53 conical fulls next and i pray i dont need risers, really liking them low and responsive

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8198 on: April 09, 2020, 09:44:33 PM »
looking for a second truck to alternate with my thunder 151s on an 8.5 ish deck. either going with the 148 ti for better flip rotations or 149 ti to be flush with the deck. what should i go with?

I guess 148s for more of a difference? Going from 149 to 151 is noticeable but I don't think its worth buying two very similar ish trucks for one deck... sounds a bit too extra. Though I'm not convinced that smaller trucks really help that much with flip tricks. Tried Venture 5.2 ti on my 8.25 instead of 5.8 ti for a few weeks and all my flip tricks felt almost the same, the difference was hardly noticeable. If anything, the bigger difference was that it was less forgiving on sketchier landings and less stable when setting up in awkward positions.

I definitely didn't notice wheelbite affecting me, perhaps if you skate super loose might be an issue, but sometimes I just wax the wheelbite area and that usually lasts me an entire session.

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #8199 on: April 09, 2020, 09:47:35 PM »
If you won't go under 8.38 I would go for 149
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #8200 on: April 09, 2020, 10:10:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I guess 148s for more of a difference? Going from 149 to 151 is noticeable but I don't think its worth buying two very similar ish trucks for one deck... sounds a bit too extra. Though I'm not convinced that smaller trucks really help that much with flip tricks. Tried Venture 5.2 ti on my 8.25 instead of 5.8 ti for a few weeks and all my flip tricks felt almost the same, the difference was hardly noticeable. If anything, the bigger difference was that it was less forgiving on sketchier landings and less stable when setting up in awkward positions.

I definitely didn't notice wheelbite affecting me, perhaps if you skate super loose might be an issue, but sometimes I just wax the wheelbite area and that usually lasts me an entire session.
would be for another setup. if the smaller trucks really dont make much of a difference and sacrifice stability im gonna stay away from those.

8.38 is the narrowest deck i would comfortably ride. 149 it is

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8201 on: April 09, 2020, 10:20:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
would be for another setup. if the smaller trucks really dont make much of a difference and sacrifice stability im gonna stay away from those.

Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah after experimenting around personally I wouldn't want to get trucks smaller than the board. Flush or slightly wider is ideal personally, though if its only an 1/8th of an inch or something I'm sure it will be fine. Some people love the magic carpet feeling though, it will definitely turn sharper and some people swear that it helps their flatground, so your mileage may vary.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8202 on: April 09, 2020, 11:00:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yeah after experimenting around personally I wouldn't want to get trucks smaller than the board. Flush or slightly wider is ideal personally, though if its only an 1/8th of an inch or something I'm sure it will be fine. Some people love the magic carpet feeling though, it will definitely turn sharper and some people swear that it helps their flatground, so your mileage may vary.

My flatground sucks anyway so I would opt for better grinds / slide performance any day.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

PeskOne

• Rep: 10
  • Skateboarding: Only drug worth the side effects.
« Reply #8203 on: April 09, 2020, 11:18:01 PM »
You guys that skate 149 indys for example, 8.5 trucks, do you really feel them as good doing tricks jumping upp stuff and so on? I seen so many rider who ride 8.5 or bigger but cant tell if they just crusing chilling or actally doing stuff to progress. Im just curios because 8.25 is maximum for me with trucks and they feel way better than all 8 trucks. When it comes to riding, catching tricks and so on. I guess if you are taller or bigger feet plays a good role to.
Skateboarding an addiction stronger than Heroin.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8204 on: April 09, 2020, 11:20:49 PM »
You guys that skate 149 indys for example, 8.5 trucks, do you really feel them as good doing tricks jumping upp stuff and so on? I seen so many rider who ride 8.5 or bigger but cant tell if they just crusing chilling or actally doing stuff to progress. Im just curios because 8.25 is maximum for me with trucks and they feel way better than all 8 trucks. When it comes to riding, catching tricks and so on. I guess if you are taller or bigger feet plays a good role to.

You can definitely do shit on 8.5 trucks lol especially if your board isn't even that big. But if you're used to smaller trucks then the added heft might be noticeable. If 8.25 feels good then just stuck with it I'd say.

PeskOne

« Reply #8205 on: April 09, 2020, 11:45:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You can definitely do shit on 8.5 trucks lol especially if your board isn't even that big. But if you're used to smaller trucks then the added heft might be noticeable. If 8.25 feels good then just stuck with it I'd say.
Yeah currently sized down to 8. Had 8.25 before. Got an Primitve 8.125 wich i think is my perfect setup with Venture 5.6. I remember i got and 8.25 board i got for free from my skate shop because my Real board snapped on day 3 on a simple bs 180. Besides that it was the best setup i ever had, feels shit i dont remember wich trucks i used. But i was loving that board. They were nice to give me a Sweet board for free, took their most expensive Sweet they had haha. So mayby going to that board after 8.125, but i think 8.125 is the perfect size for me.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8206 on: April 10, 2020, 12:19:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yeah currently sized down to 8. Had 8.25 before. Got an Primitve 8.125 wich i think is my perfect setup with Venture 5.6. I remember i got and 8.25 board i got for free from my skate shop because my Real board snapped on day 3 on a simple bs 180. Besides that it was the best setup i ever had, feels shit i dont remember wich trucks i used. But i was loving that board. They were nice to give me a Sweet board for free, took their most expensive Sweet they had haha. So mayby going to that board after 8.125, but i think 8.125 is the perfect size for me.

If I skated 8.125, which I've thought about, I'd probably skate 8.25 trucks. Sounds like a scaled down version of 8.38 on 8.5 trucks which worked great for me.

PeskOne

« Reply #8207 on: April 10, 2020, 04:53:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

If I skated 8.125, which I've thought about, I'd probably skate 8.25 trucks. Sounds like a scaled down version of 8.38 on 8.5 trucks which worked great for me.

Yeah almost every web sight i been on they say 8.25 trucks goes on 8.125 to mayby 8.5? Not sure but i know they recommend 8.125 and up, and 8.25 board is supposed to be the perfect.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 81
« Reply #8208 on: April 10, 2020, 05:40:22 AM »
I just slapped on some Indy 139's on my Real 8.25 Full SE board.
I mostly skate Thunders, specificly the 148's.
Interestingly, the angle of pop was the same. 36 degree's.

Now, this was to be expected. Because although the wheelbase is different, Indy's added height makes up for it. In theory then, both of these trucks should pop the same, in terms of angle/steepness? Thunder shouldent give more leverage.

Note! I did use iphone's leveler, which might not be very accurate.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 06:04:12 AM by Vintagebody »

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #8209 on: April 10, 2020, 07:00:48 AM »
How tight do you guys run your thunders? Stock setting coming from ventures feels wheelbitey as hell. I got these 147s at 3 turns past finger tight about flush with the kingpin and considering going another half turn tighter.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #8210 on: April 10, 2020, 07:30:15 AM »
How tight do you guys run your thunders? Stock setting coming from ventures feels wheelbitey as hell. I got these 147s at 3 turns past finger tight about flush with the kingpin and considering going another half turn tighter.
Maybe harder bushings?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #8211 on: April 10, 2020, 07:31:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
Or maybe an 8.35 truck like Ace 44?
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #8212 on: April 10, 2020, 07:41:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
aces are too heavy for my preference. they look really cool though

skatefresh

« Reply #8213 on: April 10, 2020, 07:57:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Maybe harder bushings?

I could go that route. Maybe the white thunder replacement kit, but it will spark my ocd where I mess with the trucks until I don't like them anymore. I don't really crank my trucks, but like a bit of stability these days. I always like to keep it as stock as possible. I think it's partly me just adusting to these as they feel like the antithesis in terms of stability compared to the venture lows I'm used to. They just completely turn over into wheelbite, where with ventures it takes alot more effort to iniate the turn.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8214 on: April 10, 2020, 10:15:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

Have you tried them? They're heavy on paper but since the wheelbase is so recessed, the pop actually feels quite light.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #8215 on: April 10, 2020, 11:05:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Have you tried them? They're heavy on paper but since the wheelbase is so recessed, the pop actually feels quite light.
Indeed, but I was mostly of my skate life on Indy's so...
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #8216 on: April 10, 2020, 11:40:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

not 44s but 55s and the axle to axle wb was way to short for me with them. im assuming the 44s don't push the wb out

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8217 on: April 10, 2020, 11:42:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
not 44s but 55s and the axle to axle wb was way to short for me with them. im assuming the 44s don't push the wb out

Yeah thats true the recessed wb is a bit much for most people

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8218 on: April 10, 2020, 01:02:25 PM »
Anyone know the duro of these old dark green thunder low Bushings?

I'm riding them on the foul weather board today and it feels sick but they won't last.

I stopped using them in 2016 and they are splitting.

Dark clear green the were ill post They're likely as irreplaceable as they are rustcovered
via Imgflip Meme Generator
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

skatefresh

« Reply #8219 on: April 10, 2020, 01:12:06 PM »
Totally random but based on Ig posts it looks like Spencer Hamilton switched over to Indy.