Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232782 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8220 on: April 10, 2020, 01:20:30 PM »
Totally random but based on Ig posts it looks like Spencer Hamilton switched over to Indy.

Seen that.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #8221 on: April 10, 2020, 10:52:55 PM »
Bought some 161s from Dicotelain (sorry if I butchered the username). Had some 149 lights and just swapped the hangar and bushings (is color the only difference between the light blue and amber bushings). Can't wait to push around tomorrow and get them set right.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #8222 on: April 11, 2020, 09:05:41 AM »
Anybody else changing truck preferences during lockdown?

Prior to lockdown I spent 95% of my time at the skatepark and most of that time was in transition and bowls.  Over the last year I spent a lot of time on Ace and Indy and 8.3 to 9.25" boards.   I have been progressively loosening my trucks and it was all about carve.

Lockdown.  I spend 95% of my time working on flatland and 5% on slappies. I now spend most of that on an 8" with Thunder 147s.  Pre-lockdown I never rode this setup because I couldn't get the trucks loose enough to turn.

Last night I pulled out my 8.5 setup with Indy 159s to do some slappies and it felt super squirrelly. I'm now thinking about harder bushings. I already tightened the Ace setup.

I haven't really been interested in Thunder before - but now I want 149 Team Hollows. 

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #8223 on: April 11, 2020, 10:23:01 AM »

Prior to lockdown I spent 95% of my time at the skatepark and most of that time was in transition and bowls.  Over the last year I spent a lot of time on Ace and Indy and 8.3 to 9.25" boards.   I have been progressively loosening my trucks and it was all about carve.

Lockdown.  I spend 95% of my time working on flatland and 5% on slappies. I now spend most of that on an 8" with Thunder 147s.  Pre-lockdown I never rode this setup because I couldn't get the trucks loose enough to turn.

Last night I pulled out my 8.5 setup with Indy 159s to do some slappies and it felt super squirrelly. I'm now thinking about harder bushings. I already tightened the Ace setup.

I haven't really been interested in Thunder before - but now I want 149 Team Hollows.

Wider trucks just seem more squirrelly in my opinion. I have some thunder 149's and no matter how much I tighten them, they still feel more squirrelly than my indy's with conical bushings that are 144's.

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #8224 on: April 11, 2020, 11:54:10 AM »
Use liquid soap. Much better than shavings IMO.

Expand Quote
Soap bar shavings on the pivot cup and bushings have always done me well, but if wax didn’t work I don’t how much better a bar of soap will do. My 159s were squeaky as hell.
[close]

Second the soap bar shavings. Whenever I tried the wax it got gummy real quick on the urethane. Soap just sort of turns to powder, no mess.
How much for an order of ribs?

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #8225 on: April 11, 2020, 11:59:57 AM »
Thunder bushings are compression set. Meaning if you have new Thunder bushings and you go to tighten them down right away, they will go to shit pretty quick. With new Thunders, keep them as loose as they go and skate them for an hour or two, then start tightening them to taste. They become much more stable and the bushings last a long time. This is true for all widths of Thunders.

Expand Quote

[close]

Wider trucks just seem more squirrelly in my opinion. I have some thunder 149's and no matter how much I tighten them, they still feel more squirrelly than my indy's with conical bushings that are 144's.
How much for an order of ribs?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8226 on: April 11, 2020, 12:02:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wider trucks are not more squirrelly. I think. My opinion is wider turns slower, and is more stable, so less squirrel. More squirrel comes from the super narrow truck setups, slalom etc.
The wider set up my have more leverage, maybe that has an effect that feel squirrelly?

Vintagebody

• Rep: 81
« Reply #8227 on: April 11, 2020, 12:02:53 PM »
Thunder bushings seems to hate cold weather too.
Ive got a new pair of 95d bushings, and at home they are rather soft, perfect. 5 minutes of skateboarding outside in 0-10 celcius? They are almost unrideable... Way to stiff.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8228 on: April 11, 2020, 12:50:53 PM »
Thunder bushings seems to hate cold weather too.
Ive got a new pair of 95d bushings, and at home they are rather soft, perfect. 5 minutes of skateboarding outside in 0-10 celcius? They are almost unrideable... Way to stiff.
conical bushings will always be squirrelly compared to cylinders. threw ace barrels in my 151s and they are stable as fuck. down with conicals
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #8229 on: April 11, 2020, 06:12:07 PM »
Just a recap on these thunder 147s after riding venture 5.25 lows for the past 6 months. I was finally able to get used to them. I'm running with the kingpin exactly flush with the nut. I did alot of carving and a slappy sesh to try and get the pivot cups and bushings worn in. I forgot thunders seem loose at first then sort of firm up. I remember now my old ones feeling that way. Goddamn I can kickflip again on these trucks after them being dogshit on indys and slightly better with venture highs/lows. Basic tricks like ollies and 180s feel so good. The pop is explosive. Tre flips feel so right. I'm still getting used to certain flip tricks like frontside flips which feel off but so far I like em. The only thing I can complain is the wheelbite is savage on these, but it's to be expected with low trucks.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 06:19:07 PM by skatefresh »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8230 on: April 11, 2020, 06:34:32 PM »
Just a recap on these thunder 147s after riding venture 5.25 lows for the past 6 months. I was finally able to get used to them. I'm running with the kingpin exactly flush with the nut. I did alot of carving and a slappy sesh to try and get the pivot cups and bushings worn in. I forgot thunders seem loose at first then sort of firm up. I remember now my old ones feeling that way. Goddamn I can kickflip again on these trucks after them being dogshit on indys and slightly better with venture highs/lows. Basic tricks like ollies and 180s feel so good. The pop is explosive. Tre flips feel so right. I'm still getting used to certain flip tricks like frontside flips which feel off but so far I like em. The only thing I can complain is the wheelbite is savage on these, but it's to be expected with low trucks.
went against my own wishes and ran 1/8 risers during todays session and they didn't skate much differently at all. no more wheelbite outside of really shitty landings and thats even with .5 of an inch hotrod.

im just gonna leave my trucks as they are right now because im gonna go crazy if i let my imagination run like its been
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #8231 on: April 11, 2020, 06:55:24 PM »

Just switched from thunder to venture los again and I’m loving it. They pinch better, slide a bit better, and they're way more stable. Turning is compromised a bit but I’m not struggling.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 08:18:30 PM by sneakpeekmeek »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8232 on: April 11, 2020, 09:56:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just switched from thunder to venture los again and I’m loving it. They pinch better, slide a bit better, and they're way more stable. Turning is compromised a bit but I’m not struggling.

What’s the biggest wheels you run with venture lo’s?
I’m assuming 5.2s?
My latest, from the couch, conundrum, is which size trucks for 7.75?
The more I skate, the less I wonder about this type of stuff.

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
« Reply #8233 on: April 11, 2020, 09:57:17 PM »
Decided to run Thunder 149s with 56mm conical fulls no risers. God save me.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8234 on: April 11, 2020, 10:04:55 PM »

Trust that you have Much skill, and/or weigh less than #140

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
« Reply #8235 on: April 11, 2020, 10:19:40 PM »
Anyone know the duro of these old dark green thunder low Bushings?

I'm riding them on the foul weather board today and it feels sick but they won't last.

I stopped using them in 2016 and they are splitting.

Dark clear green the were ill post They're likely as irreplaceable as they are rustcovered
via Imgflip Meme Generator

Current Thunder stocks are 90a and I don't remember ever hearing anything about them changing so probably 90a. They sell a bunch of different colors and the "rebuild kits" even have matching axle nuts and washers. You can also use Bones or Indy conicals, they work pretty well with thunders.

Shouldn't really be a problem with modern Thunders, especially if they're Team editions. The present gen 149s aren't low like the old ones were. I run 56mm radials and occasionally even 58mm classics with no risers on medium tight thunders with no wheelbite issues. As long as you don't have them floppy loose then I think you'll be alright. If it does start to happen a little wax on the spot where they touch can be surprisingly effective.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8236 on: April 11, 2020, 11:39:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What’s the biggest wheels you run with venture lo’s?
I’m assuming 5.2s?
My latest, from the couch, conundrum, is which size trucks for 7.75?
The more I skate, the less I wonder about this type of stuff.

Interested in wheel sizes too. I'm revisiting my Ventures Lo soon, want to set them up with 54mm for downstair curb skating since the parks are closed.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #8237 on: April 12, 2020, 12:45:11 AM »
anyone that skated the old thunder 149s and the new ones was the difference significant? really debating on getting a pair of 148s or 149s. idk why they're starting to look good.

PeskOne

• Rep: 10
  • Skateboarding: Only drug worth the side effects.
« Reply #8238 on: April 12, 2020, 01:43:23 AM »
You guys seem to skate so big wheels, but its only me. I always liked small wheels, used to skate the wheels down 40mm and even under that but that was one time, they were almost as small ass the bearings haha. So i always bought max 50mm wheels and 49mm. But then i saw the spitfire lock ins 101A and i was just im getting those. I think the smallest were 53, but bought em and i been in love with them ever since, impossible to flatspot. They are REALLY slippery before u get used to them powerslides is like nothing sometimes it felt like i landed on ice. But when gotten used to them i loved them. Next time im gonna go fort the blue ones, i think they are 99A or 98A but they are slippery to and impossible to wheelbite. Hope they have 50mm or atleast 52mm now.

Hopefully if it dries up im going to the park with my Primitive 8.125 and 5.6 Ventures. I can say anyone on the fence bying 5.6 Ventures to 8.125 board the trucks are perfect in that size and flush. They work on 8 too. I dont know yesterday i switched to 8 indies on my 8 flip, im getting back after are break. My ollies and tricks were a bit better or back. But its impossible to say, last summer when i was into it i hated that setup, i felt like 8 indys were to uncomfy doing tricks and squrrly and small hanger. I Guess its just that its gone some days now and progression has come everyday. Yesterday i also skated on a place with super smooth ground wich probably helped to. The wheelbase on the Ventures are just a little little longer. Im not god at inches so. But on Venture and Primitive, wheelbase is 17.5, Indys and Flip wheelbase was 17.48 mayby, looked as same wheelbase pretty much.

Hopefully i dont ghost pop to much, it happend yesterday to with indies so its mussle memory to. The Primitive nose and tail look much more what i prefer, a bit smaller and much rounder. Hopefully i dont need to slow down to much to get used to the board and trucks and can start doing easy grinds on some easy tricks in the quarter pipe. Also a low rail, perfect park for getting back. What sucks is its asphalt. Why didnt they use concrete our some smoother surface, the razor tail goes dubble as fast.

Edit: Sorry im not native english i usally not this bad at grammar and lettering words right. In the future im going to take it more easy when i write because i know alot of people get annoyed by fucked up words and weird grammar. Im just a bit to hyped when on this forum.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 01:51:32 AM by PeskOne »
Skateboarding an addiction stronger than Heroin.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8239 on: April 12, 2020, 08:19:32 AM »
Are 5.0s too small for properly pinched crooked grinds?
I’m really just looking for excuses. I’ve never been good at those, and it really was THE trick, just couldn’t get em decent.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8240 on: April 12, 2020, 02:51:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone know the duro of these old dark green thunder low Bushings from the end of the 90s?

I'm riding them on the foul weather board today and it feels sick but they won't last.

Dark clear green the were ill post They're likely as irreplaceable as they are rustcovered
[close]

Current Thunder stocks are 90a and I don't remember ever hearing anything about them changing so probably 90a. They sell a bunch of different colors and the "rebuild kits" even have matching axle nuts and washers. You can also use Bones or Indy conicals, they work pretty well with thunders.

Expand Quote
[close]

Shouldn't really be a problem with modern Thunders, especially if they're Team editions. The present gen 149s aren't low like the old ones were. I run 56mm radials and occasionally even 58mm classics with no risers on medium tight thunders with no wheelbite issues. As long as you don't have them floppy loose then I think you'll be alright. If it does start to happen a little wax on the spot where they touch can be surprisingly effective.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 466
« Reply #8241 on: April 12, 2020, 04:52:16 PM »

If I remember correctly in the 90s and early 2000s stock bushings were 92a. In the mid 2000s kingpins were shortened by two threads causing the change to 90a for stock bushings.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8242 on: April 12, 2020, 05:51:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
If I remember correctly in the 90s and early 2000s stock bushings were 92a. In the mid 2000s kingpins were shortened by two threads causing the change to 90a for stock bushings.

ok that makes total sense. Thank yall
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #8243 on: April 12, 2020, 08:47:34 PM »
I’m really just looking for excuses. I’ve never been good at those, and it really was THE trick, just couldn’t get em decent.

Felipe Gustavo seems to do them just fine with his 5.0 lows.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8244 on: April 12, 2020, 09:14:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Strong facts

PeskOne

• Rep: 10
  • Skateboarding: Only drug worth the side effects.
« Reply #8245 on: April 13, 2020, 12:34:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Felipe Gustavo ride Ventures? But you may mean he skate 5.0 Ventures, and the Aces are the same size? Im intresting in ACE but i wont buy any ACE that are smaller than 8 trucks, and what i know ACE dont have and 8 truck. They got the 44 wich will be big for 8 to 8.25. If they had A trucks size like 8.125 axle i would buy them. Now i got my Ventures 5.6 on Primitive board and feels great. Just need to adjust a bit, just started after the winter again and was a while since Ventures but they feel really good, exactly how i want them. And fits perfect on 8.125 board even its 8.25 truck.
Skateboarding an addiction stronger than Heroin.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8246 on: April 13, 2020, 11:13:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Felipe Gustavo ride Ventures? But you may mean he skate 5.0 Ventures, and the Aces are the same size? Im intresting in ACE but i wont buy any ACE that are smaller than 8 trucks, and what i know ACE dont have and 8 truck. They got the 44 wich will be big for 8 to 8.25. If they had A trucks size like 8.125 axle i would buy them. Now i got my Ventures 5.6 on Primitive board and feels great. Just need to adjust a bit, just started after the winter again and was a while since Ventures but they feel really good, exactly how i want them. And fits perfect on 8.125 board even its 8.25 truck.

huh?

As far as I remember the 33/03s are 8"

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #8247 on: April 13, 2020, 02:16:52 PM »
I just won some Reynolds hollow 149s. Does anyone know hoe much they weigh vs standard 149s? Looked on the NHS website and it has them weighing more which I would assume is a mistake since they're hollows.

giantbeardedone

• Rep: -2
« Reply #8248 on: April 13, 2020, 02:37:04 PM »
Does anyone know if Thunder makes Titanium lights in 151 (8.75" axle length)? I can't find them anywhere, only 149 and down.

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #8249 on: April 13, 2020, 03:01:45 PM »
I just won some Reynolds hollow 149s. Does anyone know hoe much they weigh vs standard 149s? Looked on the NHS website and it has them weighing more which I would assume is a mistake since they're hollows.
Hollow cast 149's? My cheat sheet says 369g

Does anyone know if Thunder makes Titanium lights in 151 (8.75" axle length)? I can't find them anywhere, only 149 and down.
https://www.thundertrucks.com/fall-2019/
I think they do Ti 151's but they could be tough to find rn
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 03:07:03 PM by legion »