Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231605 times)

Vintagebody

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 81
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8460 on: May 04, 2020, 05:51:02 AM »
that's pretty chewed up, but i think a 3/8" UNF die nut would probably repair that easily enough

Yes, it will fix it so it will work, but it will miss a thread, which might not matter at all.

Die's is pretty essential tool for skaters... I re-thread every time I remove the wheels. And I also have spare nuts, incase they get too damaged from removal.

EchoShadow

• Rep: 2
« Reply #8461 on: May 06, 2020, 09:29:06 AM »
Though I would ask here, since normally you guys would be in the know! Any one got a line on some Indy titanium for a 8.5? I have checked every single online skate shop in Oregon and I can’t find anything! Was planing to size up from my normal 139 on a 8.125 but looks like that’s not going to happen for a while.

I know this is old but I have a lightly used set of Indy titanium 149s I could part with. Only 1 grind done on them on my butter bench with composite, can't even see marks on truck. Can post pics if interested.

Vintagebody

« Reply #8462 on: May 06, 2020, 09:40:05 AM »
Anyone have secret info regarding the Indy mids with inverted kingpin or whatever it is?
They seem to only reply "soon" on insta...

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8463 on: May 06, 2020, 09:48:46 AM »
Anyone have secret info regarding the Indy mids with inverted kingpin or whatever it is?
They seem to only reply "soon" on insta...

Those Mindys and the new ACEs are probably borked until late summer/fall I'm guessing, due to supply and manufacturing chains being disrupted via the virus; if I remember right ACE was pushing for spring (Indy probably as well).

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #8464 on: May 06, 2020, 09:59:46 AM »
Finally got some 5.6’s. I always rode 5.2s on an 8.25 and it never bothered me, so I’m curious to see the difference.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8465 on: May 06, 2020, 10:15:45 AM »
Finally got some 5.6’s. I always rode 5.2s on an 8.25 and it never bothered me, so I’m curious to see the difference.

5.6s on an 8.125 (more like an 8.18) so the opposite - but rode 5.6s on 8.25" and really enjoyed it (tho I've tried to always run 8.25" trucks on 8.25" (and 8s on 8s and 8.5s on 8.5s).

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #8466 on: May 06, 2020, 03:23:42 PM »
figured id drop this here and see if anyone has had this happen to them

was tinkering with some (used maybe once?) thunders i got - 149ti
been riding indys for a hot minute but a tasty classified has me swimming in trucks at the moment.
i wasnt satisfied with the amount of wheelbite i was catching on these, so i put 1/8" risers on, didnt work, put bones hard in. still mushy turns and wheels hitting deck(53mm classic f4s). so i go to spin my bushings around and in the process of loosening the front truck, the nut jumped a thread or something and it got so fucking hard to spin a wrench on it. it re-threaded the kingpin rendering it useless. crazy right?
i emailed thunder and of course they got back to me within 15 minutes saying theyll send new ones when they can. classic dlxsf customer service.

i really didnt jive with the mushed turns but i hardly got a chance to fuck around with them.
I know it's a kingpin..
In my experience a bolt like this is trash.
It will be next to impossible to get the nut to engage the second part of the threads, after that worn gap..
How far can you get the nut to thread on?
And it might not be just the threads were worn of, that part of the bolt may have stretched and weakened
Hit up DLX? Or bang out that kingpin

Dima

• Rep: -6
« Reply #8467 on: May 08, 2020, 01:53:49 AM »
Anybody got some information on the new indy mids mostly regarding the height?

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #8468 on: May 08, 2020, 02:35:58 AM »
So I got nerdy on some Thunder with a Grindking conversion. (Actually Krēpēr conversion technically?) A friend showed me the method, it involves installing a threaded 3/8-24 insert. You drill out the kingpin hole to a certain slightly larger size, thread it with a course tap for the teeth on the outside of the insert, and then epoxy set it. No need for a nut! Though you do have to put some threadlock liquid on the kingpin threads from time to time.

Been skating them for almost 2 years, favorite truck set-up I have skated. Clearance for days, even after hitting axle.

Thunder 149 Ti, switched to older cast baseplates early on, Krēpēr kingpin, recently replaced original shot bushings with Thunder 94a bushings and Riptide pivot cup.

Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 466
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8469 on: May 08, 2020, 04:07:43 AM »
Seeing worn in Thunders makes me want to try Thunders again.

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #8470 on: May 08, 2020, 06:11:31 AM »
So I got nerdy on some Thunder with a Grindking conversion. (Actually Krēpēr conversion technically?) A friend showed me the method, it involves installing a threaded 3/8-24 insert. You drill out the kingpin hole to a certain slightly larger size, thread it with a course tap for the teeth on the outside of the insert, and then epoxy set it. No need for a nut! Though you do have to put some threadlock liquid on the kingpin threads from time to time.

Been skating them for almost 2 years, favorite truck set-up I have skated. Clearance for days, even after hitting axle.

Thunder 149 Ti, switched to older cast baseplates early on, Krēpēr kingpin, recently replaced original shot bushings with Thunder 94a bushings and Riptide pivot cup.

Damn that is quality.

Respect.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8471 on: May 08, 2020, 01:50:01 PM »

fuck thats hot
whats the turn like with shorter kingpins compared to stock?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

stets

• Rep: 106
« Reply #8472 on: May 08, 2020, 02:39:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
fuck thats hot

The actual kingpin length isn't changed by this, still the same "stack height" of bottom bushing cup, bottom bushing, hanger yolk area, and top bushing. So I think it turns just the same as the stock pairs of Thunders I skated for years before these.

The only thing shorter is the area above the top bushing... greater clearance on a surfy yet snappy turning truck I've always loved.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #8473 on: May 08, 2020, 02:56:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
fuck thats hot

I did this on Thunders with the krux pins a few years ago, doesn't make a difference except for kingpin clearance. and if you're not after kingpin clearance its defs not worth it.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #8474 on: May 08, 2020, 03:43:02 PM »
i heard its a pain in the ass to do that with thunder forged baseplates and i dont really sorry about kingpin clearance atm so id have to pass on trying it personally.

functionality looks sick though, love to see broken in thunders
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #8475 on: May 08, 2020, 08:03:20 PM »
169's on 8.75 with the newer top washer and riptide cups...
All I have, but I really want to go back to 44s on 8.25

Washer is almost too big/chunky but it totally stops wheelbite

Starting to manual up a chill hill, hopefully getting.. Progress
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8476 on: May 08, 2020, 08:08:19 PM »

I think 8.25 and 44s is where I’m leaning/headed. Haven’t found the ‘one’, as far as decks go.
I really hope they don’t change 44s to 8.5”, cuz that seems wack.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #8477 on: May 08, 2020, 08:45:42 PM »

ok ok.. stock bushings? why new top washer?

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #8478 on: May 08, 2020, 09:35:54 PM »
Word Ok, I've liked 44's on the 8.25 classic eagle just because that's the most legitimate board I can get locally. I like the size though with 51-52 classics. The most stable I've felt once I tighten up the aces.

All stock indy Jay, just the newest stock stuff when they switched away from the gummy/old bushings. For me at least, bought the trucks late 2019
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #8479 on: May 09, 2020, 12:21:56 AM »
What's the size difference between Indy Stage 9/10 (USA made) and 11 stock bushings? Worried the modern aftermarkets conicals won't fit my 10s.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 01:00:21 PM by mbam003 »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8480 on: May 09, 2020, 07:42:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
fuck thats hot
[close]

I did this on Thunders with the krux pins a few years ago, doesn't make a difference except for kingpin clearance. and if you're not after kingpin clearance its defs not worth it.

I still run it and like it.  Clearance sucks on thunders and with the krux at least, not tough to do.  There isn't much meat to a thunder so I find you get close to the kingpin crazy fast.  Stuff like smiths too....it's nothing but truck.

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #8481 on: May 09, 2020, 02:03:40 PM »
i heard its a pain in the ass to do that with thunder forged baseplates and i dont really sorry about kingpin clearance atm so id have to pass on trying it personally.

functionality looks sick though, love to see broken in thunders
I think the reason it's tougher for forged baseplates is cuz they're thinner. There isn't enough room in the void underneath the kingpin to completely fit the nut. Just need to grind the nut shorter. While keeping it square..

This threaded insert method eliminates that issue but to me it'd be more work overall. Drilling, tapping..
Stets. Did you use a helicoil or a timesert?
Did it look like a slinky or a solid tube with threads?
Rivet nut might be another option..

TBH I'd wanna do this with a jig to hold the kingpin angle.
How do you know it's straight left to right?
Or at the same 75* as the old kingpin?

There's also no nyloc with threaded BP. Could use a drop of liquid threadlock if it gets loose.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 04:55:14 PM by legion »

PeskOne

• Rep: 10
  • Skateboarding: Only drug worth the side effects.
« Reply #8482 on: May 10, 2020, 04:09:53 AM »

I got 5.6 on 8 board, felt okay, but just started again after the summer, and had indy 8s on 8 board before and it felt somewhat better mostly because I didn't ghost pop, but that was probably just I wasn't used to Ventures. Now I got them on my Primitive 8.125 and I think I will never change trucks again. Last summer I experimented a lot with different trucks. Thunders were my mains when I skated the most. And before that, it was like any brand, first Indy, hated them, was just beginner, then like Grind king, then like Ventures. remember I had a pair of Element trucks that sucked too. Then I got blessed when I started skating Thunders and only rode them until last summer were I tried Indies in different sizes and sometimes switched to Thunders again. I was worried as hell buying Ventures 5.6 but now I don't want to skate anything else. I think I would do good on an 8 board with the 5.6 now too. But I'm thinking about trying out 8.25 again, but it's hard to find 8.25 with 14 wheelbase. I only ride 14 wheelbase.

Do you guys think 14 wheelbase makes a big difference if you switch to 14.25 wheelbase on Venture trucks? I'm scared to try, because I really like Ventures but only skated them on 14 wheelbase.
Skateboarding an addiction stronger than Heroin.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8483 on: May 10, 2020, 06:39:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I got 5.6 on 8 board, felt okay, but just started again after the summer, and had indy 8s on 8 board before and it felt somewhat better mostly because I didn't ghost pop, but that was probably just I wasn't used to Ventures. Now I got them on my Primitive 8.125 and I think I will never change trucks again. Last summer I experimented a lot with different trucks. Thunders were my mains when I skated the most. And before that, it was like any brand, first Indy, hated them, was just beginner, then like Grind king, then like Ventures. remember I had a pair of Element trucks that sucked too. Then I got blessed when I started skating Thunders and only rode them until last summer were I tried Indies in different sizes and sometimes switched to Thunders again. I was worried as hell buying Ventures 5.6 but now I don't want to skate anything else. I think I would do good on an 8 board with the 5.6 now too. But I'm thinking about trying out 8.25 again, but it's hard to find 8.25 with 14 wheelbase. I only ride 14 wheelbase.

Do you guys think 14 wheelbase makes a big difference if you switch to 14.25 wheelbase on Venture trucks? I'm scared to try, because I really like Ventures but only skated them on 14 wheelbase.

My personal experience is that wb, truck brand matching to certain deck, perfect witches brew etc etc, is all only really necessary once I got past a certain point. Once I go past 8” trucks shit needs to be specific

sadnocomply

• Rep: 137
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #8484 on: May 10, 2020, 08:10:32 AM »
Plenty of people make 8.25 with 14 inch wheelbase, girl/chocolate, April/primitive, business & co just to name a few

Vintagebody

« Reply #8485 on: May 10, 2020, 11:45:35 AM »
I cant believe it... I broke another kingpin... Is Thunder a effin joke?
Both times I skated flatground, which I always do....

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #8486 on: May 10, 2020, 11:56:36 AM »
what thunders? might want to take them off your hands if they are a size i ride

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #8487 on: May 10, 2020, 04:17:26 PM »

dont lose faith man, i had this happen but the pair they sent me to replace them has been going well for over a year. i ride 148s
even the steven

Ayo95

• Rep: 0
« Reply #8488 on: May 10, 2020, 04:38:21 PM »
Hey guys, looking to pickup some Venture 5.6s tomorrow and wanted to see how they would pair with a 8.25 deck. I like the stability from when a truck is bigger than the board but will it  feel that much different if I rock wider wheels? Working with a 8.25 DOA deck if that helps, thanks.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8489 on: May 10, 2020, 07:38:13 PM »
Hey guys, looking to pickup some Venture 5.6s tomorrow and wanted to see how they would pair with a 8.25 deck. I like the stability from when a truck is bigger than the board but will it feel that much different if I rock wider wheels? Working with a 8.25 DOA deck if that helps, thanks.

Like any other 8.25" truck, they will work just fine on an 8.25" deck.

Wider wheels might give you a [placebo] sense of greater stabilty?