Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232702 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8490 on: May 11, 2020, 03:32:05 AM »
I cant believe it... I broke another kingpin... Is Thunder a effin joke?
Both times I skated flatground, which I always do....

Hit up DLX support and send them pics of the breakage and they'll send you new ones. Dlx customer support is pretty fucking amazing to be honest. I lost a 147 titanium out of my own stupidity (it either fell out or was stolen from my book bag) and hit them up asking if there was a way to just buy a single replacement from them and since they were out of 147 titaniums they just sent me a pair of team raws instead. I basically got a free pair of trucks for being a dimwit.

Echelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #8491 on: May 11, 2020, 05:42:20 AM »
Just bought a pair of 147 Thunders with the Team baseplates.
Would 53 mm wheels cause noticeable wheelbite? Planning on copping F4 99d Classics and saw a good deal but they were in 53 mm only.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8492 on: May 11, 2020, 05:53:46 AM »
Just bought a pair of 147 Thunders with the Team baseplates.
Would 53 mm wheels cause noticeable wheelbite? Planning on copping F4 99d Classics and saw a good deal but they were in 53 mm only.

Should be fine at that size. It's when the truck get wider I've noticed a base plate is a big deal at 53 up.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Vintagebody

• Rep: 81
« Reply #8493 on: May 11, 2020, 07:34:15 AM »
Expand Quote
I cant believe it... I broke another kingpin... Is Thunder a effin joke?
Both times I skated flatground, which I always do....
[close]

Hit up DLX support and send them pics of the breakage and they'll send you new ones. Dlx customer support is pretty fucking amazing to be honest. I lost a 147 titanium out of my own stupidity (it either fell out or was stolen from my book bag) and hit them up asking if there was a way to just buy a single replacement from them and since they were out of 147 titaniums they just sent me a pair of team raws instead. I basically got a free pair of trucks for being a dimwit.

Yes, ive been in contact with them. But for obvious reasons, aka corona, they are not able to do anything about it yet. I dont live in US, so if they will ship new trucks to me, then that would be amazing service.

PeskOne

• Rep: 10
  • Skateboarding: Only drug worth the side effects.
« Reply #8494 on: May 11, 2020, 07:51:19 AM »
Hey guys, looking to pickup some Venture 5.6s tomorrow and wanted to see how they would pair with a 8.25 deck. I like the stability from when a truck is bigger than the board but will it  feel that much different if I rock wider wheels? Working with a 8.25 DOA deck if that helps, thanks.

Thanks for all the answers to my question guys!

They will pair perfectly with an 8.25. I currently have an 8.125 with my 5.6, and I just bought 50mm F4 tablets, the skinnies wheels out there pretty much and I feel they are as stable as before with my thicker wheels, actually like them more this way, but that's my personal preference :)
Skateboarding an addiction stronger than Heroin.

Vintagebody

« Reply #8495 on: May 11, 2020, 10:20:44 AM »
I'm riding Tinders now, and I have to say, they just feel like indy's to me. When I measured the angle of pop, it was pretty much the same too. Indy baseplate and thunder hangar. My indy hangars are 129...Ole trucks

colinquinn

• Rep: 8
« Reply #8496 on: May 11, 2020, 10:32:22 AM »
Are thunders cursed in some way? They're the only truck that's randomly tossed me at high speed multiple times (times where a pebble or something were out of the question). There's a lot I don't really like about the stage 11's, but they've never betrayed me like thunders.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #8497 on: May 11, 2020, 10:47:19 AM »
Are thunders cursed in some way? They're the only truck that's randomly tossed me at high speed multiple times (times where a pebble or something were out of the question). There's a lot I don't really like about the stage 11's, but they've never betrayed me like thunders.

Speed wobble? Wheel bite? How?

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #8498 on: May 11, 2020, 01:41:21 PM »
some good truck madness conversation on the most recent nine club with frank gerwer

Vintagebody

« Reply #8499 on: May 11, 2020, 02:00:22 PM »
Hollow kingpin more prone to snap? As far as I can tell, they dont use any stronger metal or engineering to exactly make it stronger?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #8500 on: May 11, 2020, 02:02:13 PM »
some good truck madness conversation on the most recent nine club with frank gerwer
do u have a timestamp?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8501 on: May 11, 2020, 03:07:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
do u have a timestamp?

I skimmed around; they start going into @ 00:47:46

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #8502 on: May 11, 2020, 03:14:57 PM »
Ive got some Indy 215s on the way to make a wide board, anyone know how the stock bushings go in indys these days? I’ve always ditched em for bones meds.

Uncle Poseur

« Reply #8503 on: May 11, 2020, 03:43:43 PM »
Ive got some Indy 215s on the way to make a wide board, anyone know how the stock bushings go in indys these days? I’ve always ditched em for bones meds.

Got some new 169s a few weeks ago. The orange bushings were a fucking joke. I gave them a couple weeks to break in, but replaced them with Bones Hards (that's what I ride), and they were fucking magnificent! Indy's + bones 4 lyfe!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 03:47:50 PM by Uncle Poseur »

weedgod94

« Reply #8504 on: May 11, 2020, 03:56:43 PM »
Hollow kingpin more prone to snap? As far as I can tell, they dont use any stronger metal or engineering to exactly make it stronger?
hollow axles/kingpins are more likely to snap and less likely to bend than solid ones, its more about the shape than the materials. but im pretty sure the hollow ones are aluminum and the solid ones are steel.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8505 on: May 11, 2020, 04:30:59 PM »

Im watching that now.

I wish I had a few venture lo bushings.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #8506 on: May 11, 2020, 04:32:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Got some new 169s a few weeks ago. The orange bushings were a fucking joke. I gave them a couple weeks to break in, but replaced them with Bones Hards (that's what I ride), and they were fucking magnificent! Indy's + bones 4 lyfe!
What were main complaints? I think my 169s were from the fall shipment and haven’t been terrible for me. How you think the bones hard compare to Indy black 94a?

Uncle Poseur

« Reply #8507 on: May 11, 2020, 05:00:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
What were main complaints? I think my 169s were from the fall shipment and haven’t been terrible for me. How you think the bones hard compare to Indy black 94a?

The stock Indy bushings felt too squishy for me. They had a really shitty rebound too. It may be personal taste, but the Bones bushings made life all good, without even breaking in (for me.)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 05:03:47 PM by Uncle Poseur »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8508 on: May 11, 2020, 05:44:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Im watching that now.

I wish I had a few venture lo bushings.

Grab an old board and some old busing and sand'em down until you get the desired height.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #8509 on: May 11, 2020, 05:58:49 PM »
Wanted something softer for turning and threw some Doh-Doh’s. They were 95a and definitely harder than my stock bushings. Loosened my trucks more than usual and it feels good.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Diocletian

« Reply #8510 on: May 11, 2020, 07:30:09 PM »
 ;D
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

New China Indy stock bushings and pivot cups are excellent. Aftermarket Indy blacks are amazing, though. I’d take those any day over Bones due to them inevitably breaking but Bones are still good performing bushings.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #8511 on: May 11, 2020, 08:48:30 PM »
;D
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

New China Indy stock bushings and pivot cups are excellent. Aftermarket Indy blacks are amazing, though. I’d take those any day over Bones due to them inevitably breaking but Bones are still good performing bushings.

yeah, i'm betting those 169's were old stock.

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #8512 on: May 11, 2020, 10:31:56 PM »
Expand Quote
i heard its a pain in the ass to do that with thunder forged baseplates and i dont really sorry about kingpin clearance atm so id have to pass on trying it personally.

functionality looks sick though, love to see broken in thunders
[close]
I think the reason it's tougher for forged baseplates is cuz they're thinner. There isn't enough room in the void underneath the kingpin to completely fit the nut. Just need to grind the nut shorter. While keeping it square..

This threaded insert method eliminates that issue but to me it'd be more work overall. Drilling, tapping..
Stets. Did you use a helicoil or a timesert?
Did it look like a slinky or a solid tube with threads?
Rivet nut might be another option..

TBH I'd wanna do this with a jig to hold the kingpin angle.
How do you know it's straight left to right?
Or at the same 75* as the old kingpin?

There's also no nyloc with threaded BP. Could use a drop of liquid threadlock if it gets loose.

I used one of these types of inserts: https://www.mcmaster.com/threaded-inserts/threaded-inserts-for-metal/

It's a lot of work, but has paid off considering how long I have skated these. My homie showed me that the shoulder of the baseplate, where the bottom washer sits, is flat and square to the kingpin hole, so we set it upside down on that and that kept the hole squared and true as we drilled it bigger in 3 steps, to reduce any chance of it drifting. Then thread with the outer course thread tap.

Yep, use blue threadlock on the kingpin. The threaded insert also had that threadlock red permanent stuff on it, so I added a little bit more too as I installed those. Also pinged the ends in the area with no internal thread to mechanically keep it in place a bit better.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Echelon

« Reply #8513 on: May 12, 2020, 06:36:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
hollow axles/kingpins are more likely to snap and less likely to bend than solid ones, its more about the shape than the materials. but im pretty sure the hollow ones are aluminum and the solid ones are steel.

You could be right, however aluminum is softer/weaker than steel. Making a weaker construction with weaker material wouldn't be very logical from a durability standpoint.
I saw both aluminum and hardened steel from different sources (maybe different versions?).
Only way to be sure is probably to ask deluxe

Echelon

« Reply #8514 on: May 12, 2020, 06:38:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

You could be right, however aluminum is softer/weaker than steel. Making a weaker construction with weaker material wouldn't be very logical from a durability standpoint.
I saw both aluminum and hardened steel from in the description different sources.
Some were aftermarket kingpins though (maybe different versions?).
Only way to be sure is probably to ask deluxe

Diocletian

« Reply #8515 on: May 12, 2020, 07:07:07 AM »
Hollow axles are chromoly just like solid ones.

Vintagebody

« Reply #8516 on: May 12, 2020, 08:21:26 AM »
Standard kingpin's should be better then. Hollow Kingpin's, or probably kingpin's in general, seems to not like sharp 180 kick turns.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #8517 on: May 12, 2020, 09:36:22 AM »

Nope.  They are all steel - hollow kingpins and axles.

Theeve had a titanium kingpin for a while on their TiKing trucks, but seem to have replaced that with steel.  I don't think anyone is doing a kingpin that isn't steel or hollow steel.

Ti trucks have solid titanium axles - but not hollow.  All other trucks are steel or hollow steel.

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #8518 on: May 14, 2020, 09:43:43 AM »
Man, conical bushings in 215''s was the best advice I ever got from this thread.  Big improvement.

Tracerstracer

• Rep: -38
« Reply #8519 on: May 14, 2020, 09:49:12 AM »
Aluminum kingpins. I legit lol. whatadummy