Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1233176 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8850 on: July 23, 2020, 03:51:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bump!!

I also wanna know. Busy breaking in some 148 teams. Great truck but cant get it loose enough to my liking. Dont get me wrong i like it a lot but if i HAVE to change the bushings will bones meds make them more turney? Heard all kinds of shit with bones changing geo etc what your take?

My madness is telling me just leave them stock, great truck either way.

However if they go much stiffer i might maybe just have to.
[close]

Expand Quote
In my thunder 149 teams I just swapped the top washer on both of them for a bones flat washer. I really like the turn of ace, and have found this little thing to make my thunders super surfy.
[close]

MalHuis, try a flat washer ^ or no top washer at all. flat washers work great on Thunders and Ventures.
[close]

There we go, here is the insight i was looking for. Thanks gentleman! Will do the top washer and see the difference it makes and report back. Either this or will go full person and go bones :)

So the madness starts with the Thunders!!
[close]

I’d also like to add that I only weigh 120lbs, and had trouble with thunders feeling too tight (especially coming from ace). But with trading the stock top for a flat top washer it made a noticeable difference.
[close]

I'm running some 147s with those sleeved flat washers (which are a couple hairs thicker than normal) + Indy aftermarket 88a conicals, feels great and can't see/feel any difference in geo at all.
[close]

8.125”? 8.25”? What are you using the 147s with? After that Ishod talk I put some 147s on an 8.38, with the spaced out washers. Haven’t had a chance to skate tho. I think boards that big just aren’t for me. Slow learner. But the overall vibe/idea, would probably do ok if I did 145s on like 7.9. Baby board

I was riding them on an 8.25" Plan B (yeah yeah, but it's all I could find that was PStix and with a short tail and man, the tail is flat and small as fuck) and it tapers near the tail.

Now I've got them on and 8.2" Palace (it's a true 8.2") with a 14.25" WB. Feels really good with the steep kicks/Thunders.

Taken while mounting on the Plan b (which is why they are not screwed down all the way)

The low profile Ti nuts really help with thunders, not due to weight but if you are not using low tops you can get regs tops on and not have to crank them down if you ride loose.

Stripped the baseplates (bright fucking blue) couldn't be bothered with the hangers. Too much work.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8851 on: July 23, 2020, 03:56:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bump!!

I also wanna know. Busy breaking in some 148 teams. Great truck but cant get it loose enough to my liking. Dont get me wrong i like it a lot but if i HAVE to change the bushings will bones meds make them more turney? Heard all kinds of shit with bones changing geo etc what your take?

[close]

Expand Quote
In my thunder 149 teams I just swapped the top washer on both of them for a bones flat washer. I really like the turn of ace, and have found this little thing to make my thunders super surfy.
[close]

MalHuis, try a flat washer ^ or no top washer at all. flat washers work great on Thunders and Ventures.
[close]

There we go, here is the insight i was looking for. Thanks gentleman! Will do the top washer and see the difference it makes and report back. Either this or will go full person and go bones :)

[close]

I’d also like to add that I only weigh 120lbs, and had trouble with thunders feeling too tight (especially coming from ace). But with trading the stock top for a flat top washer it made a noticeable difference.
[close]

I'm running some 147s with those sleeved flat washers (which are a couple hairs thicker than normal) + Indy aftermarket 88a conicals, feels great and can't see/feel any difference in geo at all.
[close]

8.125”? 8.25”? What are you using the 147s with? After that Ishod talk I put some 147s on an 8.38, with the spaced out washers. Haven’t had a chance to skate tho. I think boards that big just aren’t for me. Slow learner. But the overall vibe/idea, would probably do ok if I did 145s on like 7.9. Baby board
[close]

I was riding them on an 8.25" Plan B (yeah yeah, but it's all I could find that was PStix and with a short tail and man, the tail is flat and small as fuck) and it tapers near the tail.

Now I've got them on and 8.2" Palace (it's a true 8.2") with a 14.25" WB. Feels really good with the steep kicks/Thunders.

Taken while mounting on the Plan b (which is why they are not screwed down all the way)

Stripped the baseplates (bright fucking blue) couldn't be bothered with the hangers. Too much work.

How’s the Palace?
Plan B used to have really quality boards, so rattle can was the way. Shit maybe they still do. I like PS and I’ll take what I can get. There isn’t a lot of companies making sick 7.75-8 boards, so whatever. I mean ideally it’d be a strangelove or DOA or someone cool but yeah, I been there.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8852 on: July 23, 2020, 04:15:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bump!!

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

How’s the Palace?
Plan B used to have really quality boards, so rattle can was the way. Shit maybe they still do. I like PS and I’ll take what I can get. There isn’t a lot of companies making sick 7.75-8 boards, so whatever. I mean ideally it’d be a strangelove or DOA or someone cool but yeah, I been there.

The PB and Palace boards couldn't be any more different.

Plan b feels softer (PSStix) But I got used to it...it might have been too short (31.5"

Palace is stiffer (Dwindle)

Plan b tail is suuuuuuper short and mellow, crazy how mellow the kick was, I'm still not sure if I like it or hate it? Tapered at the tail - it's defiantly an odd bird as far as the dims and press go.

If you like the way Dwindle wood feels you'll like them.

With all the 8.2s I've been riding I find myself more comfortable in 8.3s...always have.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #8853 on: July 23, 2020, 05:58:56 PM »
I know you were all asking for them but, SkateWarehouse has Tensor bushings.
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Tensor_90a_Bushings_1_Truck/descpage-TN90ABU.html
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #8854 on: July 24, 2020, 01:50:10 PM »
After five sessions with Thunder 151, i busted one of the bushings. It isn't first time even busting those out etremely fast. People give so much shit to Indy about bushings and look straight past Thunder because those bushings are far worse than anything on the market durability wise. Love the trucks, hate the constant bushing replacement.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #8855 on: July 24, 2020, 02:08:23 PM »
That sucks. I have had great luck with the Thunder stock white bushings. Just broke in some new 151s myself. They came with the clear blue ones but I threw in some old white ones.

TheBoognish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #8856 on: July 24, 2020, 02:39:14 PM »
I’m really liking my Thunder 148’s with a Krux barrel bushing on the bottom. Kept the stock conical orange/gold one on top. No break in time whatsoever, I had a good session on my first day.

Kinda slows down the twitchiness and the wheel bite while still giving a smooth and quick enough turn, feels like a turnier Venture. Manuals feel so good with these. I like my trucks loose/medium-loose, but never wobbly loose, and they’re perfect for me. I’m 195-200lbs by the way.

I’ve been riding ‘em like this for about 4 weeks and I dig it. Haven’t touched my 5.6’s since, actually.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8857 on: July 25, 2020, 09:31:43 PM »
What inverted kingpin work for ace trucks if possible? I've seen a couple people do that and I'm interested to do that.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #8858 on: July 26, 2020, 08:27:30 AM »
Krux down lo.....only knock is the nut might spin so adjusting your trucks once mounted may be problematic.  If you are one of those guys who don't really touch their trucks it's fine.  Overall, I think it's a good set up.  Aces the clearance is just so-so and they grind down fast....

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #8859 on: July 26, 2020, 11:30:38 PM »
where can i get a set of small ass trucks? smaller than the indy 109s

i am having trouble finding some small trucks for a old school carving type board. i have hangars but no baseplates
even the steven

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8860 on: July 26, 2020, 11:59:43 PM »

i am having trouble finding some small trucks for a old school carving type board. i have hangars but no baseplates

https://www.tactics.com/independent/109-stage-11-silver-t-hanger-skateboard-trucks

Aren't all Independent truck baseplates universal fit?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #8861 on: July 27, 2020, 01:53:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

https://www.tactics.com/independent/109-stage-11-silver-t-hanger-skateboard-trucks

Not if they’re different stages.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8862 on: July 27, 2020, 02:33:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Not if they’re different stages.

My bad, I'm a dumb guy
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
« Reply #8863 on: July 27, 2020, 04:16:14 AM »

Where did you get your sleeved washers? I looked at the array ones but they were like $25 for a set and that seems even crazier than $15 pivot cups to me. I would think there has to be some plumbing or electrical supply type place that sells them for normal washer prices.

Also despite having arguably the worst graphics in the industry, the 8.25 Plan B shape is awesome. I have the yellow sheffey one and it's really short (31.25) and has a really little and mellow tail but a full size nose. I thought the tail would be hard to get used to but it was actually not an issue at all and since it's so compact and light I really like it for tre flips and other stuff that I sometimes struggle to get a full rotation on. I like the 14.25 wb but I think a slightly shorter one like 14.12 would make it even better. Ive heard the Business and Company 8.25 is kind of similar - really short, mellow tail, terrible graphics etc. - so I might have to try one of those when my plan B dies.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8864 on: July 27, 2020, 05:06:38 AM »
running ace top bushing and shaved doh doh soft tops in my 151s.

little rattly in the front and half a turn tighter in the back. might be in my head but im landing shit cleaner to avoid wheelbite, and once i got familiar with the amount of turn before bite it hasnt been much of an issue since
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #8865 on: July 27, 2020, 06:26:49 PM »
So I’ve had an 8.25 sitting in my basement for over a year (normally riding an 8.06 full with 5.2 Ventures).

Anyhow, I just bought a set of red Indy aftermarket bushings to see if I could make the 8.25 skateable with either the Stage 10 149s or Stage 8 146s also sitting in my basement.

The good news it that he trucks now tilt with the nut tightened close to flush. The bad news is that they still don’t turn especially well. Did I simply pick bad Indy designs for this experiment? It’s like they are tippy but not turny. WTF?

Ive skated a friend’s stage 11s and they feel wayyyy more turny.

• Rep: 1
« Reply #8866 on: July 28, 2020, 08:44:41 PM »
can anyone speak on how venture 5.6s turn & feel overall compared to the 6.1s?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 05:49:52 AM by 11112345 »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8867 on: July 28, 2020, 10:56:15 PM »
So I’ve had an 8.25 sitting in my basement for over a year (normally riding an 8.06 full with 5.2 Ventures).

Anyhow, I just bought a set of red Indy aftermarket bushings to see if I could make the 8.25 skateable with either the Stage 10 149s or Stage 8 146s also sitting in my basement.

The good news it that he trucks now tilt with the nut tightened close to flush. The bad news is that they still don’t turn especially well. Did I simply pick bad Indy designs for this experiment? It’s like they are tippy but not turny. WTF?

Ive skated a friend’s stage 11s and they feel wayyyy more turny.

How new are the bushing? I'm sitting on a pair of semi-new Indys and the bushings are not worn in at all, couldn't lean or turn at all. So skating with them to break them in or even boiling them may help.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #8868 on: July 29, 2020, 07:46:03 AM »
I received a handful of e-mails about polycarbonate risers and because I made 3 sets and am out of material I thought I would share some information on an easy way to make them. I found a company that will cut polycarbonate to size (min. order 10 pcs for $10).

https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/polycarbonate_sheets/516

1.) measure your base plates in mm.
2.) type in w x l.
3.) select qty 10 (should be $1.00 per piece).
4.) when you receive the plastic use your base plate as a template.
5.) Clamp or secure baseplate and tap all 4 holes.
6.) Cut some weight out of the middle with a hole saw—make sure the teeth are small (i.e. do not use a wood bit). Try a metal or plastic bit.

Some of this may be obvious to some but I made a mistake using a plastic riser as a template. Best to use actual truck holes.

Good luck to those that try to make there own. DM me with questions.

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #8869 on: July 30, 2020, 10:45:56 AM »
Big shoutout to @GardenSkater77 for not only the risers he hooked me up with, but for the free sauce above ^

Between my rails, rubber risers, and soft wheels, my cruiser’s pop felt dead as hell. Way too soft feeling. It’s not completely night and day with my other factors, but the PC risers definitely help reclaim some of that snap that this set up was missing. Appreciate it, GS77!

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8870 on: July 31, 2020, 08:54:24 AM »
Anyone else ever try Caliber trucks? They're mostly known for making longboard trucks but I found a pair of the 8.5 street ones for like $30 and decided to try them. I'm actually really enjoying them. I have a sprained ankle so I'm really limited to just rolling around and boppin down hills and stuff and they excel at that. Interesting shit:

- They have 8 hole baseplates so you can adjust the effective wheelbase. I've got them on a 14" wb doomsayers deck and using the wider holes puts it around 17.25, so +3.25. Didn't try the narrow ones yet.

- 92a blood orange bushings and they're really tight from the factory which is right up my alley. They do loosen up pretty quick but still you nut gluers and bushing shavers might not like these. They have really snappy rebound kinda like a slightly harder thunder.

- The hangers are kinda crazy looking. Lots of straight lines and sharp angles kinda like the theeve tu-hangers. Guessing there was a lot of computer input/cnc on the design.

Weight is hefty but not overly beefy, about 390g. Didn't measure the height. So far they're intriguing but I'm only getting half the story since I can't ollie or even powerslide right now.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8871 on: July 31, 2020, 11:22:00 AM »
Anyone else ever try Caliber trucks? They're mostly known for making longboard trucks but I found a pair of the 8.5 street ones for like $30 and decided to try them. I'm actually really enjoying them. I have a sprained ankle so I'm really limited to just rolling around and boppin down hills and stuff and they excel at that. Interesting shit:

- They have 8 hole baseplates so you can adjust the effective wheelbase. I've got them on a 14" wb doomsayers deck and using the wider holes puts it around 17.25, so +3.25. Didn't try the narrow ones yet.

- 92a blood orange bushings and they're really tight from the factory which is right up my alley. They do loosen up pretty quick but still you nut gluers and bushing shavers might not like these. They have really snappy rebound kinda like a slightly harder thunder.

- The hangers are kinda crazy looking. Lots of straight lines and sharp angles kinda like the theeve tu-hangers. Guessing there was a lot of computer input/cnc on the design.

Weight is hefty but not overly beefy, about 390g. Didn't measure the height. So far they're intriguing but I'm only getting half the story since I can't ollie or even powerslide right now.

BMC did the Caliber thing a while back.

sadnocomply

• Rep: 137
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #8872 on: July 31, 2020, 12:40:55 PM »
What’s the best method/tool to removing pivot cups? Finally got some riptides and my stock pivot cups aren’t budging

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #8873 on: July 31, 2020, 12:49:35 PM »

@sadnocomply had a tough time w my ventures. Blade + pliers. Took a little bit. Just had to mess with it for a while.
But new Indy 169 just now came out without a tool. Stuck to the hanger.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8874 on: July 31, 2020, 01:21:55 PM »
What’s the best method/tool to removing pivot cups? Finally got some riptides and my stock pivot cups aren’t budging

Use a king pin and pry it out.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #8875 on: July 31, 2020, 01:23:07 PM »
Put the trucks on whatever board - remove the hanger and use a flat head screwdriver (handle facing inwards towards the center of the deck) as a lever against the baseplate to pry the pivot cup out. You might need to use a little pressure, because the air needs to get under the cup, once it does, you should be able to get a lip out far enough to use needle nose pliers and then you just sorta wiggle it out slowly.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8876 on: July 31, 2020, 01:23:35 PM »

Been a while since I was on Indy TI (not since they've moved production to China), guess they are screening under the hanger now?

144s
88a Supercush
Riptides (force of habit these days - the stock cups seemed pretty nice, squishy, not that cheap hard shit)
Muir washers (I love these things)
Ti nuts all around
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 06:29:10 PM by Xen »

Diocletian

« Reply #8877 on: July 31, 2020, 01:53:07 PM »
Needle nose pliers are the ultimate tool for pivot cup removal. New Ti Indy's looking good Xen, notice any better of a turn with the new revisions?

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #8878 on: July 31, 2020, 04:42:40 PM »
compressed air works great on pivot cups also. i usually just get them out with the axel and then needlenose if that don't work.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8879 on: August 01, 2020, 12:29:51 AM »

Been a while since I was on Indy TI (not since they've moved production to China), guess they are screening under the hanger now?

144s
88a Supercush
Riptides (force of habit these days - the stock cups seemed pretty nice, squishy, not that cheap hard shit)
Muir washers (I love these things)
Ti nuts all around

Just a sidenote if you want softer pivot cups and don't want to pay $15, you can get khiro softs for like $1. They fit fine in indys (a little overlap but you can trim that if you want to make it a pain in the ass to remove them in the future), venture, and every other truck I've tried them in. Just beware that Khiro is out of business so whats on the market now is all that there's going to be, so I'd suggest stocking up if you like them.