Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232067 times)

sketchyrider

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8940 on: August 20, 2020, 02:45:34 PM »
doh dohs suck horse dick. cracked in two sessions and i ride rattly loose. what are the most durable bushings? cant stand knowing im riding mangled ones if i just bought em

im just seconding that doh dohs are wack

WHYAMIDOINGTHIS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #8941 on: August 20, 2020, 03:12:08 PM »
So i like to ride my trucks without the top washer and with the nut flush with the kingpin but for some reason with aces when i hand tighten them they make the kingpin stickout so basically i have to tighten them a lot more than i want to or the nuts will fall  off, and it trips me out, how can i fix this?

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #8942 on: August 20, 2020, 03:23:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Do I have this right?

Bottom bushing controls the feeling at the top of the turn. The top bushing determines how far that turn goes. So if I want a lose top with a stiffer arc near the bottom I would use a soft bottom hard top?
[close]

Yes, kinda like stock ACEs have.

I may be reading this wrong, but isn’t that opposite of Ace? I feel like Aces are stable with a deep arc once that arc is activated, not tippy with a stiff arc.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8943 on: August 20, 2020, 05:43:21 PM »
So i like to ride my trucks without the top washer and with the nut flush with the kingpin but for some reason with aces when i hand tighten them they make the kingpin stickout so basically i have to tighten them a lot more than i want to or the nuts will fall  off, and it trips me out, how can i fix this?

What?

Put a normal height top on. I suggest a bones med.

Gives you mad threads no one will want to ride your death trap
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8944 on: August 20, 2020, 05:46:09 PM »
Expand Quote
doh dohs suck horse dick. cracked in two sessions and i ride rattly loose. what are the most durable bushings? cant stand knowing im riding mangled ones if i just bought em
[close]
What kind of trucks you ride?
thunder 151s but venture 5.8 ti soon
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #8945 on: August 20, 2020, 06:49:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
What kind of trucks you ride?
[close]
thunder 151s but venture 5.8 ti soon
I use bones mediums with the flat top washer and no bottom washer in my 5.8. They're perfect.

shmazz

• Rep: 3
« Reply #8946 on: August 20, 2020, 09:03:38 PM »
Venture V-Lights 5.6 on an 8.25
Indy 90d conical bushings (bought them as a replacement after one of the stock bushings began to crack)
Both trucks flush

I love how the Indy bushings feel on these trucks. I believe the bottom bushing is a bit taller than Venture stocks, however I don't really feel like it messed up with the geometry of the trucks (maybe it would have if we were talking about barrel shaped bushings instead of conical ones). Kinda makes me wish Venture stock bushings were a bit softer.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #8947 on: August 21, 2020, 05:24:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Do I have this right?

Bottom bushing controls the feeling at the top of the turn. The top bushing determines how far that turn goes. So if I want a lose top with a stiffer arc near the bottom I would use a soft bottom hard top?
[close]

Yes, kinda like stock ACEs have.
[close]

I may be reading this wrong, but isn’t that opposite of Ace? I feel like Aces are stable with a deep arc once that arc is activated, not tippy with a stiff arc.

This is interesting, I was experimenting recently and used a stiff roadside and softer boardside bushing and ended up getting a nice turn that doesn't wheelbite or wobble too easily. Ace are that same way. Roadside is stiffer than boardside and I believe that is part of why they're so stable while turning well.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8948 on: August 21, 2020, 06:55:48 AM »
I may be reading this wrong.
Classic Bushing Set

Top 12mm tall | 91a hardness
Bottom 14mm tall | 86a hardness

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #8949 on: August 21, 2020, 04:56:37 PM »
how well do ace hangars fit on indy plates? Want to ride my 66 hangars with the wb of indys.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8950 on: August 21, 2020, 05:31:48 PM »
Expand Quote
I may be reading this wrong.
[close]
Classic Bushing Set

Top 12mm tall | 91a hardness
Bottom 14mm tall | 86a hardness

I like my Ace's like this. I can't deal with the stock ones at all. I have no idea why. I don't believe they are dual duro. It's just funny shaped.

Any Indy and deluxe stock tops work too.
I just gotta have close to matching colors or I get weirded out looking at it. I'll find a set of white stock venture and boom roll for 5 years.

Bones rip.

When all these extra ones are gone I'm over these kcups for trucks.
Man you're grandkids are going to hate us. Needles crack pipes Juuls kcups and Bones bushings going to be knee in california.

Wheels upon wheels upon wheels. We suck. I'm wicked stoned now too.

So

The bottom bushing I've found irreplaceable. There's nothing ever as nice as this ride height and material combo.
Indy wishes it could still turn like this. Takes mad work to make an Indy nice. This guy Circle Pat has the best Indy's I've ever tried. They kinda lift you up in the middle tho. Like a seesaw. Ace turns like this but there's no abrupt dip.

I should have found out what they did to their indys to make them so nice

I like extra threads. I got Lower nuts. 
Indy could use a few more. I have high hopes for inverted kingpins in trucks but low expectations.

If the entire industry starts using them they got to get rattling loose or what's the point?

I'm so high
(A)pl(E)

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8951 on: August 23, 2020, 10:01:53 PM »
how well do ace hangars fit on indy plates? Want to ride my 66 hangars with the wb of indys.
i dont think it works like that. i ran venture hangers on thunder forged plates and it shrunk my wb to around +2.8
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Diocletian

« Reply #8952 on: August 24, 2020, 03:20:40 PM »
Indy hangers will fit on Ace baseplates but not the other way around.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #8953 on: August 25, 2020, 12:10:59 AM »
I recently switched to Aces but damn they're heavier than I'm used to. Has anyone tried tossing Ace hangers onto Tensor baseplates to make them lighter? Would that mess with the geometry of the trucks too much?

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #8954 on: August 25, 2020, 04:28:36 AM »
I recently switched to Aces but damn they're heavier than I'm used to. Has anyone tried tossing Ace hangers onto Tensor baseplates to make them lighter? Would that mess with the geometry of the trucks too much?

It probably would but you can always try. Just give it a few sessions to adjust to the weight.

ballintoohard

« Reply #8955 on: August 25, 2020, 11:07:59 AM »
So trucks and kicks:

-If a board is ghost popping (as always happens to me with FA/really steep nose and tail decks) with Indys would Thunder or Venture mellow it out?

-Likewise if a board feels a bit too light in the pop, would I want to move down in wheelbase via trucks?

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
« Reply #8956 on: August 25, 2020, 11:22:17 AM »
what is ghost popping?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #8957 on: August 25, 2020, 11:27:17 AM »
It's where you go for a trick and the board doesn't pop; you thought you popped, but your board is back there and you are now over here.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #8958 on: August 25, 2020, 11:29:25 AM »
So trucks and kicks:

-If a board is ghost popping (as always happens to me with FA/really steep nose and tail decks) with Indys would Thunder or Venture mellow it out?

-Likewise if a board feels a bit too light in the pop, would I want to move down in wheelbase via trucks?

Smaller WB, or mellower tail, would lessen the ghost pop. Longer WB will make your setup feel heavier.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #8959 on: August 25, 2020, 12:24:35 PM »
I've been ghost popping a lot on a few tricks lately (mostly nollie fs flips) but some how still roll away fine, and its often more rocket if I don't ghost pop. Wheels are real small now too pretty scared to put on new wheels as it might amplify the shit out of my ghost pop.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8960 on: August 25, 2020, 02:25:34 PM »
what is ghost popping?

Whiffing is what we called it around here. I whiff Fakie nollie tre a ton but it's with every truck except my old thunder lows and smaller wheels.

That type of set up is almost impossible to ride here. The ground is insanely rough.

I'm always going to vote venture/thunder then Ace regardless of logic.

Or get GK disruption or whatever. I bet those trucks are wicked sick if available.

Maybe it won't happen much on the hollow trucks?
(A)pl(E)

ballintoohard

« Reply #8961 on: August 25, 2020, 03:09:20 PM »
I've tried a few FA decks and found it weird. The 8.5 AVE shape I had felt great on Indy 149s for the most part, especially nollies. 14.25 WB. Then I got an 8.25 with the 14.19 and it felt off overall. I know it was slightly shorter, but it just felt so damn heavy to pop. I briefly tried with Thunder 149 teams, then gave up on the deck.

I also had a Polar 8.5 that was ok with Indy 149's, but awesome with Ace 44.

Lastly a go-to setup has been Quasi 8.25 or 8.38 with 14.25 and Thunder 148 ti lights. Tried it with Venture 5.8 Hollows briefly, but had an axle issue.

Never quite figured out what made the good truck/deck combos feel good and the bad feel bad.

sonti

• Rep: 0
« Reply #8962 on: August 29, 2020, 10:41:59 PM »
whats the smallest deck width yall rode with thunder 151s?
Im looking to size down(both in wheelbase and width). Considering 8.5 but thinking about even smaller since the step down from 8.675 is so minimal. The 14.75 -> 14.25 wheelbase change will probably ne much more noticable.

I never rode a setup with trucks so big compared to the deck so im asking.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #8963 on: August 29, 2020, 11:18:01 PM »
whats the smallest deck width yall rode with thunder 151s?
Im looking to size down(both in wheelbase and width). Considering 8.5 but thinking about even smaller since the step down from 8.675 is so minimal. The 14.75 -> 14.25 wheelbase change will probably ne much more noticable.

I never rode a setup with trucks so big compared to the deck so im asking.
8.25s fairly comfortably, but cant recommend it

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #8964 on: August 30, 2020, 07:31:55 AM »
Expand Quote
So trucks and kicks:

[close]

Smaller WB, or mellower tail, would lessen the ghost pop. Longer WB will make your setup feel heavier.

dont forget a lower truck will result in easier pop.....thunders are just plain lower so I find you ghost pop less...

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #8965 on: August 30, 2020, 08:06:38 AM »
With the titanium hollow axle thing, why hasn't this made a comeback? The deadbolt low profile screw was the grindking of axle nuts.

ballintoohard

« Reply #8966 on: August 31, 2020, 02:13:40 PM »
Would anyone want hardwood risers? I just realized I have tons of scrap and could easily rip and shape any thickness.

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #8967 on: August 31, 2020, 02:44:36 PM »
With the titanium hollow axle thing, why hasn't this made a comeback? The deadbolt low profile screw was the grindking of axle nuts.

Oh wow, forgot about those. Did they screw into a hollow axel?

1991 was a weird time for trucks, Z-Rollers were still a thing and Tracker tried those c-clips on the end of the axel with only one bearing in wheels or something?
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Junglist

« Reply #8968 on: August 31, 2020, 04:51:55 PM »

What is this Gouge and why does it look sick as fuck??

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #8969 on: August 31, 2020, 05:40:07 PM »
currently running one of my favourite truck setups for this particular board (8.5 w/ 14.5WB, steep kicks and concave)

- Ace 44's with really worn in top and bottom washers to maximize looseness (used to skate tight trucks as a kid so the top washer has an indent for the kingpin nut)
- reds
- OJ mini combos which shrunk down to 51

having wide but small wheels on a fat steep deck feels extremely responsive, definitely upped my wall tricks and can still pop tres with the long wheelbase cuz of the steepness and the ace trucks shortening wheelbase and making the pop a little bit quicker

otherwise solid for me