Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221136 times)

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9630 on: January 05, 2021, 08:15:43 AM »
anyone know why some Lizzies have the baseplate crest and some don't?

Diocletian

« Reply #9631 on: January 05, 2021, 10:47:57 AM »
There's a thread on it. The cross got cancelled.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9632 on: January 05, 2021, 10:51:32 AM »
Womyn's right to choose.....

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9633 on: January 05, 2021, 11:01:24 AM »
8.25 trucks on an 8.5 board.

Thoughts?

Curious about stability. Currently paired with spitfire classics.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #9634 on: January 05, 2021, 11:09:49 AM »

Thoughts?

Perfectly fine IMO, I've done it many times no stability issues, maybe throw an extra speed ring on the inside

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #9635 on: January 05, 2021, 11:50:36 AM »
I got some 215s for a Heroin Mutant setup.  Placed on an 8.5 w/ 149s for scale  :D

I was going to put the indy aftermarket bushings in but the stock top bushing is way taller.  I'll probably swap the baseplates to the reverse kingpins when they are released

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #9636 on: January 05, 2021, 01:19:00 PM »
That's a tight wheelbase....

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9637 on: January 05, 2021, 03:21:30 PM »
I got some 215s for a Heroin Mutant setup.  Placed on an 8.5 w/ 149s for scale  :D

I was going to put the indy aftermarket bushings in but the stock top bushing is way taller.  I'll probably swap the baseplates to the reverse kingpins when they are released

I like the lower tops (and it will not affect the skate at all) but you can have the nut down lower for less drag or if you like them loose, you will get the nut on cleanly without having to stop to tighten it every second run the way some people used to when the bushings were too hard.

Stock definitely work if you like the 90 duro feel.  What duro did you get in the aftermarkets?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9638 on: January 05, 2021, 04:35:13 PM »
So I just set up my first set of Thunders (standard 149s) on my 8.5 Anti hero and I don’t think I’ll be going back to Indys . This shit fucking rocks. Better turn, better pop, and frontside slappies just click now.

Now my truck madness is creeping in and I’m starting to wonder what my options are as far as bushings go. I ride loose but not wobbly loose, is it worth replacing the stock bushings with something else? The stocks feel good to me as is but do they harden over time? How are the deluxe super cush?  I don’t like bones bushings at all so that’s a no.

Slayer666

• Rep: -30
« Reply #9639 on: January 05, 2021, 05:20:37 PM »
So I just set up my first set of Thunders (standard 149s) on my 8.5 Anti hero and I don’t think I’ll be going back to Indys . This shit fucking rocks. Better turn, better pop, and frontside slappies just click now.

Now my truck madness is creeping in and I’m starting to wonder what my options are as far as bushings go. I ride loose but not wobbly loose, is it worth replacing the stock bushings with something else? The stocks feel good to me as is but do they harden over time? How are the deluxe super cush?  I don’t like bones bushings at all so that’s a no.
yea just break them in they turn the best with the stock bushings I’ve tested others not sure about supercush

front_crooks

• Rep: 2
« Reply #9640 on: January 05, 2021, 05:22:18 PM »
8.18 board
Thunder 148 hollows (stock, no washers removed or replacement bushings)
52mm Spitfire Formula 4 classics or tablets

Thinking about trying Ventures.  Rode only Ventures from 1997 to 2005, got back into skating years ago (off and on) and I guess I figured I'd try Thunders or Indy's like everybody else did apparently.  Went to the park years ago and saw that I was the only one on skinny venture lows and a 7.75.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #9641 on: January 05, 2021, 05:27:49 PM »

imho stock are a fine choice in thunders the main issue is that they tend to crumble after a while, but you can also skate them crumbled for a pretty damn long time sometimes. I can't remember what they do while breaking in, if you want looser or harder just try the next duro over. Ace classic bottom/stock top is also fairly popular for good reason (my personal favorite), you can get pretty loose and turny but add a little stability/less wheelbite, it takes a while to break in though and can be pretty rough at first.

Mesteezo

« Reply #9642 on: January 05, 2021, 05:36:17 PM »

imho stock are a fine choice in thunders the main issue is that they tend to crumble after a while, but you can also skate them crumbled for a pretty damn long time sometimes. I can't remember what they do while breaking in, if you want looser or harder just try the next duro over. Ace classic bottom/stock top is also fairly popular for good reason (my personal favorite), you can get pretty loose and turny but add a little stability/less wheelbite, it takes a while to break in though and can be pretty rough at first.
yea just break them in they turn the best with the stock bushings I’ve tested others not sure about supercush

Sick, good to know. Stock it is!

ballintoohard

« Reply #9643 on: January 05, 2021, 06:05:35 PM »
Best stock bushings I've used, literally never adjusted a Thunder kingpin nut.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9644 on: January 06, 2021, 01:02:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Re Thunder bushings - yes stock bushings are good, even if they start to come away a little in one area on the bottom bushing (usually heavy heel landings) they can be turned around and still skated fine for a long time as I have pointed out to lots of people who were asking about buying new bushings.

I have tried the Thunder "bushing rebuild kits", the red 90, the blue 95 and the black 100 all skate fine but take a bit to get nice and worn in.  I am not a fan of the metallic coloured nuts and washers, but they do come with pivot cups as well, so for the price, they are also pretty good.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9645 on: January 06, 2021, 05:58:33 AM »
I was a Thunder guy for 10 years. Lately been on other trucks to kind of test the field but other reason was that got annoyed because those stock bushings would get destroyed so fast. I ride my trucks stock loose and still those bushings would just explode.

Last set i rode, i changed Indy conical bushings which are same height but little wider and didn't have any problems with them.

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
« Reply #9646 on: January 06, 2021, 07:56:11 AM »
Expand Quote

Thoughts?

[close]

Perfectly fine IMO, I've done it many times no stability issues, maybe throw an extra speed ring on the inside

Set it up yesterday and it works great thanks

depresseddingo

• Rep: 0
« Reply #9647 on: January 07, 2021, 07:02:51 AM »
ACE with 1$ inverted kingpin from German eBay.
Works just fine so far. I already had my top bushing cut half so I don't know how a stock one would fit.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 07:10:44 AM by depresseddingo »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9648 on: January 07, 2021, 09:09:56 AM »
Ended up with a pair of Indy 139 from a buddy that were pretty used but still had some life. While taking it apart I realized the threads on the axle nut had been stripped to the extent that the nut can't be remove. Turning it just caused the nut to spin on the axle with zero movement up the thread.

Anyone have any advice on how to remove a stuck axle nut? I don't have access to a workshop or heavy machine so cutting is not an option.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

hiljentaa

• Rep: 282
« Reply #9649 on: January 07, 2021, 10:35:17 AM »
Can you tighten it at all right now?

If so, I'd tighten it as much as possible to expose the threads, then just file at 45* the most gnarled bits.

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #9650 on: January 07, 2021, 10:48:15 AM »
ACE with 1$ inverted kingpin from German eBay.
Works just fine so far. I already had my top bushing cut half so I don't know how a stock one would fit.

Yooooo send that kingpin eBay link!!
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Mesteezo

« Reply #9651 on: January 07, 2021, 10:51:56 AM »
I would try heating up the nut with a torch or a lighter to expand it, and then try taking a wrench to it.

BL0B

• Rep: 412
« Reply #9652 on: January 07, 2021, 01:57:06 PM »
Ended up with a pair of Indy 139 from a buddy that were pretty used but still had some life. While taking it apart I realized the threads on the axle nut had been stripped to the extent that the nut can't be remove. Turning it just caused the nut to spin on the axle with zero movement up the thread.

Anyone have any advice on how to remove a stuck axle nut? I don't have access to a workshop or heavy machine so cutting is not an option.

a Dremel with a cut off wheel will bust a nut.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #9653 on: January 07, 2021, 03:29:40 PM »

No cross in Ti149, interesting. Kinda miss it.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9654 on: January 07, 2021, 03:49:48 PM »

Had this happen occasionally.  A decent set of grips / pliers is the lightest way to deal with it, as in no machining or cutting the nut off, just get the grips and pull as you turn, which will make the nut bite into the axle thread and come undone.

Most likely the axle of the truck should be fine, just the nut itself is stripped out, but I have seen truck axle threads messed up too.

Let me know if you need a bit more info / help with it and I will send you some info.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9655 on: January 07, 2021, 03:51:20 PM »

They do look a little plain without it don't they. 

At least they are silver and they still do everything an Indy truck should do.

stets

• Rep: 106
« Reply #9656 on: January 07, 2021, 03:57:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They do look a little plain without it don't they. 

At least they are silver and they still do everything an Indy truck should do.

Looks like the stage 7 Indy's I got off a craigslist board a year or so ago. Blank was the norm from the late 70's till the late 90's. Throwback vibes.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #9657 on: January 07, 2021, 04:35:04 PM »
Speaking of the tindys, are they worth it?
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #9658 on: January 07, 2021, 04:44:09 PM »

Those look way sicker without the cross imo. Indys have such a great looking hanger. I can feel the lust  coming on for some cross-less 144 mids. Must resist.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 06:47:02 PM by Ok »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9659 on: January 07, 2021, 06:20:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Had this happen occasionally.  A decent set of grips / pliers is the lightest way to deal with it, as in no machining or cutting the nut off, just get the grips and pull as you turn, which will make the nut bite into the axle thread and come undone.

Most likely the axle of the truck should be fine, just the nut itself is stripped out, but I have seen truck axle threads messed up too.

Let me know if you need a bit more info / help with it and I will send you some info.

Thanks, I'll give this a go later today when I setup a board for later. The kingpin was cranked down so hard they popped out of the washer, so I'll need to revive them with some new ones, rethread the axles, swap out the pivot cups and change out nuts.

Edit: thread of the nut seems completely stripped, using pliers in either direction just causes rotation with zero tightening or loosening. On the other end I have a nut that is completely rounded over on all 8 sides, spanner, skate tool and pliers can't get a good grip to unscrew the nut off the axle. Help.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 10:00:20 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m