Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220797 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9660 on: January 07, 2021, 11:27:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ended up with a pair of Indy 139 from a buddy that were pretty used but still had some life. While taking it apart I realized the threads on the axle nut had been stripped to the extent that the nut can't be remove. Turning it just caused the nut to spin on the axle with zero movement up the thread.

Anyone have any advice on how to remove a stuck axle nut? I don't have access to a workshop or heavy machine so cutting is not an option.
[close]

Had this happen occasionally.  A decent set of grips / pliers is the lightest way to deal with it, as in no machining or cutting the nut off, just get the grips and pull as you turn, which will make the nut bite into the axle thread and come undone.

Most likely the axle of the truck should be fine, just the nut itself is stripped out, but I have seen truck axle threads messed up too.

Let me know if you need a bit more info / help with it and I will send you some info.
[close]

Thanks, I'll give this a go later today when I setup a board for later. The kingpin was cranked down so hard they popped out of the washer, so I'll need to revive them with some new ones, rethread the axles, swap out the pivot cups and change out nuts.

Edit: thread of the nut seems completely stripped, using pliers in either direction just causes rotation with zero tightening or loosening. On the other end I have a nut that is completely rounded over on all 8 sides, spanner, skate tool and pliers can't get a good grip to unscrew the nut off the axle. Help.

Ok then round two with no power tools would be put a flat head screwdriver into the gap if any between bearing and nut and hammer that thing in a bit, so it is jammed in.  See if you can lever it up at all, cause even just a touch will then get some more leverage, try it in the other side and repeat, then try it wedged in there with the grips on it to try to pull it off, turn with the thread as needed.  I have had to break apart a bearing, to get the wheel over the rusted on nut before and then it makes it a lot easier to get at it.

If a nut has completely rounded off, something to cut into it and make either a groove, or two flat parts which will then make it easier to get grips on to it and be able to turn it.  Angle grinders are great for getting the nut cut up or cutting it right off, so that would be a last resort, if anyone has one, even a small portable one as I have, which are awesome.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

depresseddingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #9661 on: January 08, 2021, 12:29:40 AM »
Expand Quote
ACE with 1$ inverted kingpin from German eBay.
Works just fine so far. I already had my top bushing cut half so I don't know how a stock one would fit.

[close]

Yooooo send that kingpin eBay link!!

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Justice-Kingpin-Set-rund-silber-Skateboard-Stuff/252659062460?hash=item3ad3a756bc:g:e0gAAOSwy2NfPPE9

You even get some axle nuts for free.

ballintoohard

« Reply #9662 on: January 09, 2021, 06:41:12 PM »
Was skating today and tightened my Indy's 1/2 turn- I never adjust them after putting the aftermarket yellow bushings in. I liked it and felt my pop was better, but rolling around was weird. Almost like the rebound was too hard if that makes sense, not much lean in the top and when I did lean there was more force the opposite direction. Is this something different bushings could solve: having that bit of wiggle in the top? Or is this what Ventures are for?

anon

• Rep: 53
« Reply #9663 on: January 09, 2021, 10:41:58 PM »
i just noticed my indy forged hollows are a hair shorter than aces even though they're supposed to be 1.5mm taller

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9664 on: January 10, 2021, 12:02:19 AM »
Was skating today and tightened my Indy's 1/2 turn- I never adjust them after putting the aftermarket yellow bushings in. I liked it and felt my pop was better, but rolling around was weird. Almost like the rebound was too hard if that makes sense, not much lean in the top and when I did lean there was more force the opposite direction. Is this something different bushings could solve: having that bit of wiggle in the top? Or is this what Ventures are for?

Although I have much the same on each setup, some are tighter than others in the truck department, especially if I haven't used a board in a while or it is a cold day, so I could liken what you are experiencing to one of my rarely used boards on a cold day - sure they turn but I feel like I am almost falling off the board expecting it to turn more than it actually does.

If you skate it as is for a while, you will be more used to it, I would think.  Likewise if you jumped on someone else's board with looser trucks, you would be all over the place and things just wouldn't work either.

MxsDx

• Rep: 90
« Reply #9665 on: January 11, 2021, 06:08:49 PM »
With all the hollow axles and titanium trucks, I am curious to know if any of you prefer heavier standard (solid axle/kingpin) trucks, and if so, why? It seems like a number of pros ride standard trucks. Do you think there is a reason for this, or is it simply a matter of riding whatever is in the box?

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #9666 on: January 11, 2021, 06:17:17 PM »
I like standard trucks, to me the grind feels better.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9667 on: January 11, 2021, 06:23:22 PM »
With all the hollow axles and titanium trucks, I am curious to know if any of you prefer heavier standard (solid axle/kingpin) trucks, and if so, why? It seems like a number of pros ride standard trucks. Do you think there is a reason for this, or is it simply a matter of riding whatever is in the box?

Got to find the truck weight that works for you, lighter doesn't alway equate to better. Below a certain weight you reach to point of diminishing returns and the board feels too floppy and uncontrollable (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i2VHEo6mVs). Lighter trucks may also favour newer skaters who lack the calf muscles to control a heavier board.

https://www.skateboardershq.com/what-are-the-lightest-skateboard-trucks/
320-340g on a 147/139 is my sweet spot, anything less than 300 and the board flips very erratically.

A lot of this comes down to personal preference, bro science tells me that bigger, taller pros prefer beefier trucks (Standard), then you factor in truck height, wheelbase adjustment, forged and cast; in short, don't go down this rabbit hole.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

MxsDx

« Reply #9668 on: January 11, 2021, 06:51:43 PM »

A lot of this comes down to personal preference, bro science tells me that bigger, taller pros prefer beefier trucks (Standard), then you factor in truck height, wheelbase adjustment, forged and cast; in short, don't go down this rabbit hole.
[/quote]

Thanks for the response. I’m ashamed to say I’ve already dropped down the rabbit hole and skated several variations of thunder, Indy and venture. Still trying to narrow in on my gold standard. I am aware that no magic combo will unlock skating and make me suck any less, but it can be fun shuffling around gear.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #9669 on: January 11, 2021, 08:07:07 PM »
After doing a bunch of research on here (and the Ace thread) while my ankle was jacked up, I threw some old venture top bushings into my 44s and wow they feel so much better. The stock washer on my 44s messed up my stock bushings (I think) so while they were very stable and carvy, they lacked a lot of responsiveness. Now they feel like a loose set of thunders but oddly still very stable. Went out to push around and hit some curbs today and it felt great. No wheelbite or anything.

Anyone else have good results doing something like this? I’ve seen people claim bones or Krux top bushings feel good as well.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9670 on: January 11, 2021, 09:26:44 PM »
Anyone else have good results doing something like this?

Ace stock bushings are 85 duro, if I recall correctly.

Most other brands are more like 90+ in the stock bushing department, so it stands to reason that the Venture bushings will feel more firm than the stock Ace bushings, but it is definitely fun to experiment and see what works and what feels better for your own setup.

I put some white stock Indy bushings in a set of Ace trucks I have and the funny thing is the guys who ride Ace trucks (but not loosey goosey) thought they felt better than their Ace trucks.  It is all down to opinion as to how you like your trucks, especially in the degree of movement relating to bushings.

The slightly harder bushings not done up as much often work out better than the softer ones that are over tightened too.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #9671 on: January 12, 2021, 01:56:02 AM »

Thanks for the response. I’m ashamed to say I’ve already dropped down the rabbit hole and skated several variations of thunder, Indy and venture. Still trying to narrow in on my gold standard. I am aware that no magic combo will unlock skating and make me suck any less, but it can be fun shuffling around gear.
[/quote]

Ha, we have all bit a madness bug somewhere in skating!
I agree! It's absolutely fun to shuffle gear and actually understand why a Thunder does what it does, as well as a Venture, and so on.

I used to love running Indy standards when I was a lil younger. The heft in a fairly heavy truck is nice when you put the effort in: grind, a carve, or stability when bombing a hill, etc. I can't skate light trucks since they are so floaty and hard to get precise with. My goldilocks usually is Indy standard hangar and hollow forged kingpin/baseplate OR Indy hollow hangar with standard kingpin/baseplate. I get a mix of a heavy truck but not too heavy so I can skate longer on my sessions. I enjoyed forged hollow in the past but I was running 55m wheels so I was getting wheel bite way too often. 53.5m vs 55m height between forged hollow and standard.

Do you have an idea of what you might prefer? Lighter truck? Heavier truck? More heft? More precision? Faster flips? Slower flips? Tech skating? Rails? Better grind? Faster grind? Some combination of any of these?
Super Champion Fun Zone

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #9672 on: January 12, 2021, 05:32:03 AM »
did the trial and error method of finding my zone in truck weight. took a lot of going back and forth to find out what works, so ill do my best to make this short.

too hot
- thunder 149 hollow (327g)
- venture 5.6 hollow (329g)
- thunder 151 hollow (331g)
- venture 5.2 lo hollow (335g)
- thunder 151 lights (348g)

too cold
- indy stg.11 144 raw (394g)
- ace 55 (409g)

just right
- indy stg.11 149 hollow forged (360g)
- thunder 151 raw (366g)
- venture 5.6 raw (370g)

6'5" for starters, all legs. simply put the raw indys and aces were way too heavy for my legs to manipulate consistently. hollow/light variants are nice at first but the counterbalance is sorely missed. trucks in the 360-370g range have produced my best skating regardless of the brand, so thats where im forcing myself to stay.

even these venture 6.1 @383g are just a tad heavier than what im used to but at least it confirmed my comfortable weight limit. setting them up with a forged plate this week so they will be around 360g and closing that book.

at this point a piece of me dies each time i unscrew my hardware
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

sketchyrider

« Reply #9673 on: January 12, 2021, 09:15:16 AM »

well truck companies love to make you think their premium priced stuff is "better", in reality while the materials/production might cost more, it's just personal preference.

i wouldn't be surprised if most pros just skated a lot rather than tripping off gear, especially as a youth, so by the time they are really skilled they might just be used to the full weight trucks.

i fooled around with every version of indys, they all have their benefits and drawbacks. standards roll and grind smooth, maybe easier to hold in a manual. the hollow/titanium variants pop and flip easier, and i found noseslides easier cause that 90 degree turn happened quickly.

i would say the lighter versions are more compelling if you are running bigger wheels or a bigger setup in general. but it all comes down to what works under your feet and what you like to do.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #9674 on: January 12, 2021, 11:44:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

well truck companies love to make you think their premium priced stuff is "better", in reality while the materials/production might cost more, it's just personal preference.

i wouldn't be surprised if most pros just skated a lot rather than tripping off gear, especially as a youth, so by the time they are really skilled they might just be used to the full weight trucks.

i fooled around with every version of indys, they all have their benefits and drawbacks. standards roll and grind smooth, maybe easier to hold in a manual. the hollow/titanium variants pop and flip easier, and i found noseslides easier cause that 90 degree turn happened quickly.

i would say the lighter versions are more compelling if you are running bigger wheels or a bigger setup in general. but it all comes down to what works under your feet and what you like to do.

Most Pros skate what's in the monthly box (or trade/sell it for what they really want) which is why so many people ride Standards.

Nothing beats the feeling of grinding crust/pool coping with a solid/standard truck it's just raw AF....but not so much with forged plates and hollow axles.

Thunder 148s Team Hollows are the perfect weight IMO, they just feel good (having to skate forged hollows right now as there were no team plates in sight!)

I've never had any issues with how the board feel based on hollow/solid kingpins, except for weight; it's never changed how the grind feels

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #9675 on: January 12, 2021, 12:01:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Most Pros skate what's in the monthly box (or trade/sell it for what they really want) which is why so many people ride Standards.

Nothing beats the feeling of grinding crust/pool coping with a solid/standard truck it's just raw AF....but not so much with forged plates and hollow axles.

Thunder 148s Team Hollows are the perfect weight IMO, they just feel good (having to skate forged hollows right now as there were no team plates in sight!)

I've never had any issues with how the board feel based on hollow/solid kingpins, except for weight; it's never changed how the grind feels

I just switched from Tensor atg mags, to standard thunders for no reason other than I just wanted to ride thunders and there were no hollows or titaniums available anywhere. I gotta say, while I do notice the weight but it's not killing me. Imo the board flips better cause I know I'm trying slighty harder

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #9676 on: January 12, 2021, 01:47:44 PM »
Yeah team hollows are perfect because they are a bit taller and still quite light......just a run of the mill thunder though just seems so much more nimble than an Indy raw....like a 144 is a beastly truck. The mids are just prolly even worse.....

JimGeko

• Rep: -38
« Reply #9677 on: January 12, 2021, 01:55:22 PM »
How would a stage x Indy 149 hanger feel on a venture v light baseplate. Has anyone ever committed such a crime?

Would this work at all?
What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #9678 on: January 12, 2021, 08:15:32 PM »
Yeah team hollows are perfect because they are a bit taller and still quite light......just a run of the mill thunder though just seems so much more nimble than an Indy raw....like a 144 is a beastly truck. The mids are just prolly even worse.....

I won't touch an Indy unless it's TI for regular use (I've some Forged 159s on a pig but just due to height). The Mindys were a terrible disappointment, glad I was able to sell them off.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #9679 on: January 12, 2021, 08:31:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I won't touch an Indy unless it's TI for regular use (I've some Forged 159s on a pig but just due to height). The Mindys were a terrible disappointment, glad I was able to sell them off.

Too heavy? Initially when I moved from 7.6” trucks to 8” trucks, Indys worked for me the easiest. Now I’ve tried so many things I don’t know what’s what. I probably wasn’t going to get the mindys, but intrigued nonetheless

MxsDx

« Reply #9680 on: January 12, 2021, 09:14:59 PM »
Thank you all for your responses to my question about standard v. Lightweight trucks. I’ve geeked out on Indy hollow (145) and titanium’s (149) and venture hollow lights (5.6) and standards (5.8).  Currently I’m running thunder team hollows (149). I almost always skate 54mm wheels for what it’s worth. I’m going to try standard thunders. I’m thinking the pop and catch on a heavier truck might be better, but we will see.

Reading the list of gear I’ve burned through makes me somewhat uncomfortable. When I was a kid I would use whatever I could get my hands on and be happy with it until it was shot. How times have changed.

This board is an incredible source of info and the community is rad (unless you wade into the dark waters of the useless wooden toy banter topics). Thank you all for your input.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #9681 on: January 13, 2021, 04:04:57 AM »
@MxsDx you kinda had me reconsidering Indy ti versus standards yesterday, 169 though. Understand about the gear list you mention, I’m the same way. Really want to downsize after some experiments early this year then just get to riding.
Back on my first pair of Indy standards now completely stock while looking at other trucks with riptide pivot cups, swapped bushings, etc.

After watching that Indy mid video I’ve been thinking about wheel size matching up with truck height. (No risers)  Part of me wants thunder 161 with the 53mm height

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #9682 on: January 13, 2021, 07:39:00 AM »
ive been on a set of indy 149ti on reg. cast baseplates for a couple years or so and it's been a dream. every once in awhile i'll put the forged baseplates back on (some old stage 10.5 forged from a set of Koston hollows) and I instantly regret it every time.  the whole feel of the board changes and becomes 'dead' to me.  I also have a set of 159ti on cast baseplates, but once you get that big it the whole ti-lightness doesnt really matter anymore.

i have a set of 215s I may put on a Dane1 for a super-cruiser/curb-crusher, just debating what wheel size/shape to get on there.     
hardly art, hardly starving

Chevy Beretta

« Reply #9683 on: January 13, 2021, 08:17:19 AM »
Im trying to skate some thunders after riding ventures forever, but I can't pop. idk if its the lack of stability or what, but i'm struggling.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
« Reply #9684 on: January 14, 2021, 03:35:30 AM »
Im trying to skate some thunders after riding ventures forever, but I can't pop. idk if its the lack of stability or what, but i'm struggling.
Press the tail to the ground then retract your leg instantly on impact allowing the board to spring off the ground.

Kaydubbb

• Rep: 20
« Reply #9685 on: January 14, 2021, 04:09:08 AM »
Does anyone know if the thunder bushings sold as a repair kit are the same quality as the aftermarket thunder bushings that are sold as just bushings?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9686 on: January 14, 2021, 05:15:44 AM »
Does anyone know if the thunder bushings sold as a repair kit are the same quality as the aftermarket thunder bushings that are sold as just bushings?

They were / should be, but just check they are the right shape.

The small tube only has bushings, no washers or anything else, but come in a few more colours / options with duro - 90, 92, 94, 97, 100 and maybe others if I recall correctly but that was from a while ago now.

The rebuild kit has bushings, washers, axle and kingpin nuts and pivot cups, so if you can deal with crazy colours, they are usually worth the couple of extra dollars, but only in 90 red, 95 blue and 100 black.

Pics more for reference than anything else (easier to find # instagram links than post pics)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1EmOY8FY9W/

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 05:24:22 AM by Mbrimson88 »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9687 on: January 14, 2021, 05:22:39 AM »

Check all the pics from this one, even though you see bolts first, it has everything listed, as well as being a recent post too, so most likely in stock.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFNPSHzF4tt/

MxsDx

« Reply #9688 on: January 14, 2021, 09:34:51 AM »
Continuing down the rabbit hole of light vs. "heavy" trucks I laced up standard thunder 149's last night.  I hope it is not confirmation bias, but they seemed to behave as I had hoped. The pop was good and the board definitely stuck to my feet more.  My catch on kickflips and heelflips was very nice (for my level of skill, at least). No issues with rocketing.  Again, maybe it is all in my head and I just caught a good session with fresh legs, but either way I'm going to stay on these for a bit.  That said, if anyone is interested in a mildly used set of 149 thunder titanium, let me know. I would be happy to offload them and clear inventory.  I'm thinking $25 including shipping to anywhere in continental US. Thanks!

MxsDx

« Reply #9689 on: January 14, 2021, 03:36:18 PM »
Continuing down the rabbit hole of light vs. "heavy" trucks I laced up standard thunder 149's last night.  I hope it is not confirmation bias, but they seemed to behave as I had hoped. The pop was good and the board definitely stuck to my feet more.  My catch on kickflips and heelflips was very nice (for my level of skill, at least). No issues with rocketing.  Again, maybe it is all in my head and I just caught a good session with fresh legs, but either way I'm going to stay on these for a bit.  That said, if anyone is interested in a mildly used set of 149 thunder titanium, let me know. I would be happy to offload them and clear inventory.  I'm thinking $25 including shipping to anywhere in continental US. Thanks!

The 149 Titaniums are sold.