Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220752 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9750 on: January 23, 2021, 08:15:07 PM »
Maybe this should go in the bearing thread, but does anyone not run inside axle washers? I used to run one as normal, but want to have my wheels a tiny bit more tucked in. Dont have shields, so those wont rub on the side of the hanger, I don't see anything else besides the inner bearing race making contact... is that a problem?

If the truck is not rubbing on the moving parts of the bearing or wheel, then go for it!

I think on nine club they mention ishod runs this set up too...

Yes having more washers moves wheels out (up a whole size of truck if you have 3 on the inside of each) and not having any on the inside brings the trucks down some too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #9751 on: January 23, 2021, 08:21:02 PM »
3 washers on the hanger side gives the same wheel
Position as the next size up in trucks? Interesting.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #9752 on: January 23, 2021, 08:26:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Maybe this should go in the bearing thread, but does anyone not run inside axle washers? I used to run one as normal, but want to have my wheels a tiny bit more tucked in. Dont have shields, so those wont rub on the side of the hanger, I don't see anything else besides the inner bearing race making contact... is that a problem?
[close]

If the truck is not rubbing on the moving parts of the bearing or wheel, then go for it!

Expand Quote
I think on nine club they mention ishod runs this set up too...
[close]

Yes having more washers moves wheels out (up a whole size of truck if you have 3 on the inside of each) and not having any on the inside brings the trucks down some too.

Yeah ages ago on ace 44s I used to do about 3 washers on the inside so that they felt like a true 8.5 truck give or take. On venture 5.8s I normally just do one inside two on the outside but wanted to see what it was like with none on the inside. Its only the inner race that touches the truck (it would touch the washer otherwise), and the inner race isnt really meant to spin anyway so I think it should be ok. Hopefully I dont end up regretting this and having a bunch of blown out swiss in a few weeks

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9753 on: January 23, 2021, 08:30:45 PM »
3 washers on the hanger side gives the same wheel
Position as the next size up in trucks? Interesting.

More so for the Indy 139 - 144 - 149 sizes, but I put three on the inside of my 149s with bigger wheels and it almost lines up to the single washer on a set of 159s that I have with not so wide wheels.

If the washer is about 1mm in width, an extra 4 mm in total wheel push out definitely makes a difference.

stets

• Rep: 106
« Reply #9754 on: January 26, 2021, 11:46:46 AM »
I just went down a rabbit hole of modding some Tensor ATG Mag Lights. I was interested to try out the lightest trucks possible, plus I hear mag hangers grind like butter. However, I am not a fan of painted trucks, so I stripped it and then hit it with a mag car wheel polish/sealer to help at least a little against oxidation. Here's one stripped and one with the paint.

I went full geek mode and swapped out some parts to make them lighter and turn more to my liking.

Tensor ATG Mag Light 5.75 (8.5 inch)
-Tensor stock top bushing, Titanium top bushing cup from eBay.
-Bones hard bottom bushing, no bushing cup.
-Riptide pivot cups.
-ACER Racing titanium axel nuts (thinner, allowing one extra speed washer on hanger side, got on Black Friday sale)
-ACER Racing titanium kingpin nut (also thinner, also on Black Friday sale)
-Individual truck started at 274g, and now weighs in at 256g

Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #9755 on: January 26, 2021, 12:43:34 PM »
I just went down a rabbit hole of modding some Tensor ATG Mag Lights. I was interested to try out the lightest trucks possible, plus I hear mag hangers grind like butter. However, I am not a fan of painted trucks, so I stripped it and then hit it with a mag car wheel polish/sealer to help at least a little against oxidation. Here's one stripped and one with the paint.

I went full geek mode and swapped out some parts to make them lighter and turn more to my liking.

-Riptide pivot cups.
-ACER Racing titanium axel nuts (thinner, allowing one extra speed washer on hanger side, got on Black Friday sale)

Must say I enjoyed to read all that nerd stuff :)
Tell us how you like them. I seen your riptide's have a bit of overhang, could that be s Problem? Mine also have a bit of overhang but I couldn't realise any problems.
IG: @flowterspace

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9756 on: January 26, 2021, 01:11:46 PM »

-Riptide pivot cups.

those washers look wild

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #9757 on: January 26, 2021, 01:23:14 PM »
Expand Quote

-Riptide pivot cups.

[close]
those washers look wild

Those look so good, I’m not a fan of how the “raw” mags are that weird paired grey. I made it to the axle in like 8 or 9 months of crooks and nosegrinds

stets

« Reply #9758 on: January 26, 2021, 01:37:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
those washers look wild

Yeah, they definitely do! They aren't rounded like a traditional pressed metal bushing cup. Sharp edges, so these are machined instead I guess? Or forged?

Found them again. Damn, the price went up! I bought these bushing cups two years ago and they were half this price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Titanium-Hardware-Skateboard-Bushing-Cup-Washer-S-18-5mm/113809364160

Those look so good, I’m not a fan of how the “raw” mags are that weird paired grey. I made it to the axle in like 8 or 9 months of crooks and nosegrinds

Thanks! And thanks for the timeframe on reaching axle... so if they end up feeling weird to me I won't be stuck skating them 2 years to hit axle, like these Thunders I just retired!

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #9759 on: January 26, 2021, 01:39:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
those washers look wild
[close]

Yeah, they definitely do! They aren't rounded like a traditional pressed metal bushing cup. Sharp edges, so these are machined instead I guess? Or forged?

Found them again. Damn, the price went up! I bought these bushing cups two years ago and they were half this price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Titanium-Hardware-Skateboard-Bushing-Cup-Washer-S-18-5mm/113809364160

Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks! And thanks for the timeframe on reaching axle... so if they end up feeling weird to me I won't be stuck skating them 2 years to hit axle, like these Thunders I just retired!

If you skate concrete ledges, curbs or just hold your grinds in general you'll hit axle soooo quick on these things.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #9760 on: January 26, 2021, 05:41:46 PM »
My mate had these and he hit axle in less than 3 months, skating angle iron. When he was grinding there would be flakes of the alloy similar to when you sharpen a pencil. I think he retired them after 1 tear and sent me some pictures that i lost. The axle was showing along the entire hanger on both trucks. I will ask for the pics and hopedully will be able to post them here.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Nicki

« Reply #9761 on: January 26, 2021, 10:28:57 PM »

-Riptide pivot cups.

WOW - looks so much better stripped, thanks for sharing, so sick! I’ve got to get some of those titanium nuts, never thought of that, great idea!

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #9762 on: January 27, 2021, 05:39:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
those washers look wild
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

how did u strip them so well??  I've been tempted to try something like this
but I thought I read something about tensor's being powder coated for a reason.

Two things I would be a very happy if tensor made mag light ATG's that looked like this
2nd I am jealous those things look sick

kimura

• Rep: 15
« Reply #9763 on: January 27, 2021, 07:25:57 AM »
Those trucks look sweet. I dig all the bling.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #9764 on: January 27, 2021, 05:00:46 PM »

Two things I would be a very happy if tensor made mag light ATG's that looked like this
They're coated to protect them from corrosion, as magnesium degrades when exposed.

stets

« Reply #9765 on: January 27, 2021, 10:56:11 PM »

Definitely was more like automotive paint. Just took some lacquer thinner and 00 steel wool and some time!! Polished lightly wit a magnesium rim sealer after.

They're coated to protect them from corrosion, as magnesium degrades when exposed.

Yep. Magnesium oxidizes quicker than aluminum (which is why I used a mag wheel polish/sealer after stripping... we will see if it stalls the oxidation at all). Aluminum oxidizes over time on trucks too, that's why like stage 8 Indy's look duller than brand new ones.

Diocletian

« Reply #9766 on: January 28, 2021, 07:50:15 AM »
Madness got me curious to try those ATG tensors now, with mag plates and raw aluminum hangers. Can anyone comment on the strength of the baseplates? Did the bolt holes ovalize any faster, kingpin wiggle loose? etc.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #9767 on: January 28, 2021, 03:40:50 PM »
Madness got me curious to try those ATG tensors now, with mag plates and raw aluminum hangers. Can anyone comment on the strength of the baseplates? Did the bolt holes ovalize any faster, kingpin wiggle loose? etc.

I've had a set of 5.75 mag lights on my regular set up since March last year
I cracked the pivot cup (I replaced it) on one and switched to bones bushings about 6 months in
They soft, sound and feel a little weird but quality wise Tensor's are very well made

My trucks are fair loose and the hanger don't wiggle like it would in say Ventures
Have not noticed any problems with bolts holes ovalising yet either

I like em alot but would fully understand that some people wouldn't
they ridiculously light, soft and feel weirdly hollow
i wasn't impressed at first but now I have a back up set on ice and won't be switching back anything soon

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9768 on: January 28, 2021, 06:50:59 PM »
https://youtu.be/HE3kFwDlD7g

Getting into the washer talk on Nine Club. Skip to 13:53 to hear Rog talk about washers.
Skip to 11:32 for talk on spacers and washer.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #9769 on: January 28, 2021, 07:17:22 PM »

Getting into the washer talk on Nine Club. Skip to 13:53 to hear Rog talk about washers.
painful

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9770 on: January 28, 2021, 09:08:18 PM »
Sometimes the incorrect terminology causes so much more confusion.

Truck axle, axle nut, axle washers, bearing spacers, bearing... 

Shuh

• Rep: 5
« Reply #9771 on: January 28, 2021, 10:12:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
painful

Kelly Hart thinks his thunders 147s are not light, thats cute

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #9772 on: January 28, 2021, 10:24:14 PM »
i've realized that it takes about the exact same time for me to warm up as for my bushings to freeze...naturally.

anyone got bushings that that resist freezing??  i'm on stock thunders with an indy super soft top/front.

don't mind the cold (sans wind) otherwise.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #9773 on: January 29, 2021, 03:13:55 AM »
i've realized that it takes about the exact same time for me to warm up as for my bushings to freeze...naturally.

anyone got bushings that that resist freezing??  i'm on stock thunders with an indy super soft top/front.

Riding bones hard HC bushings and never had an issue so far -  and yes I have been skating at around freezing temperatures albeit not more than an hour.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9774 on: January 29, 2021, 04:00:01 AM »
Bones mediums dont freeze, been skating them in freezing parking garages

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #9775 on: January 29, 2021, 04:10:24 AM »

I just put some Bones softs in my Indy’s for that same reason. Works fine now, no freezing

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
« Reply #9776 on: January 29, 2021, 04:24:07 AM »
Put some Indy ultra soft bushings in my thunders and they felt like absolute shit, then I cut the bushings in half and they're feeling pretty good. There is nothing I hate more than breaking in bushings

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #9777 on: January 29, 2021, 05:51:18 AM »
Ace and bones bushings are the only ones that work for me in western NY winters

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #9778 on: January 29, 2021, 08:54:41 AM »
Gnars for y'all. 

I got off bones a few years back because i was continually cracking cores when i got slappy happy.  But guess I'd rather the too turny of a cracked core than the no turn at all of frozen ones. 

Appreciate you.

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #9779 on: February 02, 2021, 09:43:34 AM »
I’ve had a lot of truck madness over the years and have come to the conclusion that Indy forged or Thunder team trucks have the best wheelbase offset/height  to be able to run different decks without creating massive issues. 

On one end of the scale (ace, cast Indy, etc) if you run them with decks with short wheelbases or long tails you can run into issues.

On the other (thunder forged, venture cast or forged) having a long wheelbase or short tails can cause issues.

With Indy forged or thunder cast you can use risers or not depending on concave, kicks, or wheel size.

This only really matters if you have a truck you love vs a deck you love.  If you’re into a certain truck then you have to get decks that work.  If you’re into a certain deck you have to get trucks that work.

If you like to change up your deck and wheels size then those trucks are the best choices (in my opinion).

Also all of the “issues” are just in our heads and can be overcome by just getting used to it.