Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231837 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10920 on: February 25, 2022, 05:09:19 AM »

oh she's very light, her weight is around 40kg, give or take. i loosened her trucks a lot but they still didn't turn, i had to lean really hard to get the board to turn and it barely did and i weigh twice as much. i've been on aces for about 4 years now but before that i skated thunders for about 4 years too and had no problem with turning so there's definitely something wrong with the bushings. i think we might go with the bones, we're going to keep the old stock washers on there and they should be good to go.

One of the things I was going to say as well but forgot, was the break in on any bushings.

I have helped little light weight kids with their boards, which they couldn't turn on at all for however long they had the board for, but when I stood on their board and leaned heel to toe and did that over and over for a minute or so, it actually made the bushings soften up a whole lot, so the extra weight of you just leaning the board side to side a whole lot might help with those bushings that are one it, as well as softening up any other bushings you put on there.

Bones mediums should be fairly easy right from go, but just in case they do feel too stiff, do the same thing and wear them in a bit right there standing on the board, or you can run them for a bit without the stock washers just to soften them up and wear them in, then as they compress a bit more, add in washers as needed.

Looking back over the search pics, I had seen a few people post pics of Bones bushings that sit above the kingpin with a caption of them asking why they don't fit, so just in case that happens, even just the bushings and a nut on top first, then once they wear in and compress down, which they will do, you can add washers afterwards.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Cthunderw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #10921 on: February 26, 2022, 12:38:18 AM »
These Indy Tom Knox got me thinking I’m gonna buy trucks for their fuckin colour.

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #10922 on: February 28, 2022, 01:06:23 PM »
Hey hey, maybe long shot or an odd one haha

Just wondering, what truck set up are people running on Quasi set up?

I don't know if it's me, but the tail seems short for a 14.25 WB

I've started on Indys forged hollows and will take it from there
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #10923 on: February 28, 2022, 02:40:28 PM »

I’ve got some quasi boards and yeah…similar issue with the short tail. I thought I liked short tails. Maybe not. This one board I’ve cycled thru some different trucks (8.125 shape), can’t get a decent ollie. Meh

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #10924 on: February 28, 2022, 03:40:45 PM »

I skated this Quasi back in 2019 https://www.paradeworld.com/products/quasi-wilson-fight-skateboard-deck-825-1-4312498765911/
I tried it with Venture 5.8 Highs Cast and Ace 44 Classics. It felt best on Aces for me since the WB was 14.375" and it also had a short tail. I think you should be fine with Indy's though. I've skated multiple of the Baker 8.0 shape which has a short tail always paired with Ventures and it was fine

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10925 on: February 28, 2022, 03:56:24 PM »

Justin Henry, Dick Russo, Wilson, and Tyler Bledsoe ride Indys, Gilbert rides Ventures, Bobby and Dane ride Thunders so honestly there isn’t a team rider consensus.

I’ve had the short tail Quasi on juuuust about every truck. The tail never bothers me. I most recently had the Henry debut model on Ventures and it was fine and the Dane Barker BBS pressed deck on Indy’s and it was fine but I never got used to the nose really.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10926 on: February 28, 2022, 04:05:25 PM »
The correct answer would be thunders no?  Not worth getting new trucks though….

notinternetfamous

« Reply #10927 on: February 28, 2022, 04:17:55 PM »
Tbh there is truly no correct answer for board/truck pairing. People will recommend things based off experience and although there are people who preach certain board/truck specifications which sound good on paper, it isn't necessarily always the case.
You go with what works for you. There's several accounts of people who love skating Ventures with 14.5"+ WB's and those who skate Aces with 14" WB. I fully support experimentation though especially for those who are interested/curious about trying different truck brands.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10928 on: February 28, 2022, 05:55:35 PM »
I am one of those that liked ace classics on 14” wb. May have helped that I was running 56 conical fulls (for me a big wheel). I got great pop out of that setup. Shit, maybe I should go back to that.

Unrelated, I haven’t found a way to get along with the af1 44s. My whole shit feels heavy, dead, not popping. Turn is cool, pop is uncool.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10929 on: February 28, 2022, 10:19:26 PM »
I was just thinking a Thunder despite lengthening the wheelbase would lighten things up…..

Low light trucks might help compensate a short tail and overall heft of the board…

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #10930 on: March 01, 2022, 07:16:46 AM »
I was just thinking a Thunder despite lengthening the wheelbase would lighten things up…..

Low light trucks might help compensate a short tail and overall heft of the board…

Low, light, shorten wheelbase = Mini Logo.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #10931 on: March 01, 2022, 07:59:48 AM »

I put a set of Venture 5.6 Hi on mine thinking I wouldn’t like it, but I actually reach for it all the time. It feels great. It’s got 54mm radial slims and some bouncier bushings (I think they’re Indys).

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #10932 on: March 01, 2022, 09:46:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I put a set of Venture 5.6 Hi on mine thinking I wouldn’t like it, but I actually reach for it all the time. It feels great. It’s got 54mm radial slims and some bouncier bushings (I think they’re Indys).
I've tried Indy and venture with quasi and they both feel good but I prefer ventures. I have an 8.25 quasie that I'm setting up next with venture HI standards.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #10933 on: March 02, 2022, 07:56:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I've tried Indy and venture with quasi and they both feel good but I prefer ventures. I have an 8.25 quasie that I'm setting up next with venture HI standards.
I bounce back between indys n ventures but have mainly just stuck with Ventures for the past couple years straight, with the occasional switch back to my indys here n there if the board I’m ridings wheelbase and tail length and shape calls for it, which isn’t too often.

Ventures seem to be the only truck I’ve ever skated that haven’t given me any crazy issues. I skated Indy for more than a decade straight and on the multiple sets I’ve had there have always been some sort of issue (axle slip, kingpin loosening up and getting all jiggly, pivot cup slip issues, bushing issues, trucks loosening up on their own after just a couple sessions, etc. and that’s just to name a slight handful of the issues), legit EVERY single set always had at least one thing going on with it but I always just stuck it out because Indy had the best feeling turn and grind. These ventures I’ve had for the past two years though have been going strong and being abused with no issues at all. Only thing I could complain about is a slightly bent axle on my front truck but it’s so slight that it doesn’t effect the way they skate at all. I’ll still put on indys here n there because I still think they are great turning and great feeling trucks but I really don’t miss how there was something always wrong with them.
Reading the Ace thread and Lurpiv thread and this thread makes me glad I found a truck that gives me no issues at all, because dealing with truck issues is honestly enough to make you want to just chuck your board into a lake.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10934 on: March 02, 2022, 09:29:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Tbh there is truly no correct answer for board/truck pairing. People will recommend things based off experience and although there are people who preach certain board/truck specifications which sound good on paper, it isn't necessarily always the case.
You go with what works for you. There's several accounts of people who love skating Ventures with 14.5"+ WB's and those who skate Aces with 14" WB. I fully support experimentation though especially for those who are interested/curious about trying different truck brands.

Put thunder 149s, cast, on my 8.125 quasi. For today, rn, it’s working really good.
Probably hate it tomorrow.
I forget why I always ditch thunders…in this moment my kickflips and ollies are working. Rare.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10935 on: March 02, 2022, 12:27:25 PM »
Oddly my China Indys that I have now are the set that has had zero issues. I had some USA Forged Hollow 149s that blew the pivot cups and top bushings twice during their life (weird) and had an axle thread strip.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #10936 on: March 02, 2022, 01:23:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
I bounce back between indys n ventures but have mainly just stuck with Ventures for the past couple years straight, with the occasional switch back to my indys here n there if the board I’m ridings wheelbase and tail length and shape calls for it, which isn’t too often.

Ventures seem to be the only truck I’ve ever skated that haven’t given me any crazy issues. I skated Indy for more than a decade straight and on the multiple sets I’ve had there have always been some sort of issue (axle slip, kingpin loosening up and getting all jiggly, pivot cup slip issues, bushing issues, trucks loosening up on their own after just a couple sessions, etc. and that’s just to name a slight handful of the issues), legit EVERY single set always had at least one thing going on with it but I always just stuck it out because Indy had the best feeling turn and grind. These ventures I’ve had for the past two years though have been going strong and being abused with no issues at all. Only thing I could complain about is a slightly bent axle on my front truck but it’s so slight that it doesn’t effect the way they skate at all. I’ll still put on indys here n there because I still think they are great turning and great feeling trucks but I really don’t miss how there was something always wrong with them.
Reading the Ace thread and Lurpiv thread and this thread makes me glad I found a truck that gives me no issues at all, because dealing with truck issues is honestly enough to make you want to just chuck your board into a lake.
Hell yeah man same thing here. The Indys I'm on right now the front truck keeps coming loose on me. Nothing crazy but it is annoying. I've never had any issues with venture yet thankfully. It does feel good to have a truck setup that you can rely on lol.

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #10937 on: March 02, 2022, 02:34:57 PM »
Hi.

I'm about to build a new set-up and consider to invert the axle nuts in order to have the nylock rings of the nuts on the threads while the nuts would be flush with the axle tip. I plan to put some speed rings between the hanger and the wheel, nothing between the wheel and the nut.

Any thoughts about that?

What are the pros and cons with inverted axle nuts?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10938 on: March 03, 2022, 05:16:24 AM »
Hi.

I'm about to build a new set-up and consider to invert the axle nuts in order to have the nylock rings of the nuts on the threads while the nuts would be flush with the axle tip. I plan to put some speed rings between the hanger and the wheel, nothing between the wheel and the nut.

Any thoughts about that?

I guess my only question is "Why?" *

Axle nuts are designed to sit on the end of the axle anyway, the nyloc holds the nut on firmly or if they don't hold any more, it is time to get new nuts.  The back of the axle nut pretty much has a built in washer, so will fit snugly on the bearing without rubbing on the shield and the rounded front protects the end of the axle (and your shins) anyway when used correctly with axle washers and not done up too tightly.

My own boards usually have two and often three washers on the inside of each wheel against the truck hanger and just the nut on the outside, so the wheel sits as wide as possible with a little play and the nut firmly on the end of the axle, however I know a lot of people who have one washer on either side and quite a few who don't use washers at all, which I am not a fan of.

I think the only time I have ever had to flip over the axle nuts and put them on nyloc first was when the axle was so badly damaged or so worn down that they just would not fit on the normal way.  That was usually a good sign that it was about time for new trucks, or at least in these cases, it was about just getting a little more life out of the truck before getting new ones.

People who use normal skateboard wheels on some brands of roller skates with shorter axles also have to do that as they really only lock on to about a third of the axle nut, but I don't think I have met any person in 20+ years of skate shop work who voluntarily puts nuts on backwards.

There is a first time for everything.  :)

Edit:

* Not trying to be a dick, just curious why and if you have a reason.

These are close ups of my setups and I never have issues with nuts coming off or getting axle damage.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 06:28:03 AM by Mbrimson88 »

Solex

« Reply #10939 on: March 03, 2022, 06:42:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Hi.

Any thoughts about that?

[close]

I guess my only question is "Why?" *

Axle nuts are designed to sit on the end of the axle anyway, the nyloc holds the nut on firmly or if they don't hold any more, it is time to get new nuts.  The back of the axle nut pretty much has a built in washer, so will fit snugly on the bearing without rubbing on the shield and the rounded front protects the end of the axle (and your shins) anyway when used correctly with axle washers and not done up too tightly.

My own boards usually have two and often three washers on the inside of each wheel against the truck hanger and just the nut on the outside, so the wheel sits as wide as possible with a little play and the nut firmly on the end of the axle, however I know a lot of people who have one washer on either side and quite a few who don't use washers at all, which I am not a fan of.

I think the only time I have ever had to flip over the axle nuts and put them on nyloc first was when the axle was so badly damaged or so worn down that they just would not fit on the normal way.  That was usually a good sign that it was about time for new trucks, or at least in these cases, it was about just getting a little more life out of the truck before getting new ones.

People who use normal skateboard wheels on some brands of roller skates with shorter axles also have to do that as they really only lock on to about a third of the axle nut, but I don't think I have met any person in 20+ years of skate shop work who voluntarily puts nuts on backwards.

There is a first time for everything.  :)

Edit:

* Not trying to be a dick, just curious why and if you have a reason.
The purpose was to widden the trucks while avoiding the risks of nuts loosening because of the nylock rings barely sitting on the axle threads.

As you explained, it seems that there isn't any benefit, so I'll probably give up the idea.

Thanks for your thoughts, really appreciated it!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10940 on: March 03, 2022, 06:54:48 AM »

The purpose was to widden the trucks while avoiding the risks of nuts loosening because of the nylock rings barely sitting on the axle threads.

As you explained, it seems that there isn't any benefit, so I'll probably give up the idea.

If you had another two or more washers on the insides as well as what was already there and big (I mean super big) wide wheels that would cover washers and wheel nuts, then it would work well, as per a few cruiser type setups I have had to try to build from old almost broken parts, the most recent was turning some narrow Ventures into wider trucks by doing just that.

I have actually had to do that sort of thing for a mix of helping with roller skates and putting washers on to get the wheels to sit wider and not rub on their really stubby axles too, so in theory it does work, but I would be putting wheels of about 38+ mm in width on to cover the nuts well.

Solex

« Reply #10941 on: March 03, 2022, 07:05:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you had another two or more washers on the insides as well as what was already there and big (I mean super big) wide wheels that would cover washers and wheel nuts, then it would work well, as per a few cruiser type setups I have had to try to build from old almost broken parts, the most recent was turning some narrow Ventures into wider trucks by doing just that.

I have actually had to do that sort of thing for a mix of helping with roller skates and putting washers on to get the wheels to sit wider and not rub on their really stubby axles too, so in theory it does work, but I would be putting wheels of about 38+ mm in width on to cover the nuts well.
These trucks will rock a standard set of F4 Classics Full 54mm, so nothing Monster Truck'ish!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10942 on: March 03, 2022, 07:14:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
These trucks will rock a standard set of F4 Classics Full 54mm, so nothing Monster Truck'ish!

My first pic on the green board has Classic Full 54mm wheels, three washers on the inside and none on the outside, which all sits well.

I wouldn't be adding much else to that though, but the wheels almost sit to the end of the axles when set up like that, so unless you had the equivalent of small 129s on a much bigger 8+ deck, I think it would still work well enough.

I usually have Indy 149s on 8.38 or 8.5 boards nowdays, but before that I had Indy 139s on 8.12 and 8.18 size decks, which worked well.

Solex

« Reply #10943 on: March 03, 2022, 07:39:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

My first pic on the green board has Classic Full 54mm wheels, three washers on the inside and none on the outside, which all sits well.

I wouldn't be adding much else to that though, but the wheels almost sit to the end of the axles when set up like that, so unless you had the equivalent of small 129s on a much bigger 8+ deck, I think it would still work well enough.

I usually have Indy 149s on 8.38 or 8.5 boards nowdays, but before that I had Indy 139s on 8.12 and 8.18 size decks, which worked well.
My set-up is basically a set of 8" Film trucks on an 8.25" popsicle with 54mm F4, so a pretty standard one. 3 or 4 washers ich side of the hanger and the nuts put on the normal way will probably do the trick.

Thanks.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10944 on: March 03, 2022, 07:46:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
My set-up is basically a set of 8" Film trucks on an 8.25" popsicle with 54mm F4, so a pretty standard one. 3 or 4 washers ich side of the hanger and the nuts put on the normal way will probably do the trick.

Thanks.

An old poster would do the flipped axle nuts. Diclotean (that was the poster, but this is spelled very incorrectly. Autocorrect and smart devices have me less smart). I’ve definitely crammed more washers in, to spread the wheels out. Works. Can cause some axles to bend, maybe. Might give less lock in on grinds.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 81
« Reply #10945 on: March 03, 2022, 08:14:45 AM »
Back in the days, I used to skate Grind King, and now I skate Thunders (standard, raws) 148.
I've never really skated indy's before, but eager to try something else then Thunders for fun.
Suggestions? Just go indy's, or try ace? Dont like the look of Venture's...

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10946 on: March 03, 2022, 08:18:58 AM »
Back in the days, I used to skate Grind King, and now I skate Thunders (standard, raws) 148.
I've never really skated indy's before, but eager to try something else then Thunders for fun.

More info: what are you hoping for?

notinternetfamous

« Reply #10947 on: March 03, 2022, 08:30:37 AM »

Ace will be a fun truck for you and the height is similar to Thunder 148s (52 mm)

Vintagebody

• Rep: 81
« Reply #10948 on: March 03, 2022, 08:47:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

More info: what are you hoping for?

Well... I'd like to have more mellow pop, more relaxed balance point and ideally more kingpin clearance. Tho I know the mids dont actually are that beneficial vs grinding down a regular kingpin & nut.

I mostly ride DLX 8.25/8.28

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10949 on: March 03, 2022, 09:14:13 AM »
Mellow pop? Like easier?
Someone will have the recipe. That someone isn’t me.
The ace recommendation above would give you the most different feel imo: lots of deep turn, lighter pop. Wouldn’t call ace as having a relaxed balancing point.

The closest to what you want, of the brands you’ve mentioned, might be indy. Indy and cast thunder have some similarities (this might be controversial, thunders have a quicker pop, and my consistency goes way up with them, indy has a deeper turn, less wheelbite, can run bigger wheels).
Blah blah.