Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231516 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11040 on: March 15, 2022, 09:38:44 AM »
So I don't get this. I've had the same exact precise deck on Forged Hollows and now cast inverted ti frankens that are basically like Standard Hollows in the following configs:

-FH and 54mm Loophole Teardrop (2)
-FH and 52mm Classic Full (3)
-SH and 52mm Classic Full (1)

The numbers are ranking the pop in a straightline, however, when rotating the difference is noticeable. Theoretically the FH and 54s should be the same as SH and 52's right?

And oddly cast Thunders and 52 was my childhood go-to and 148s with 52s has equal pop to this SH and 52 setup. Makes no sense.

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #11041 on: March 15, 2022, 09:53:59 AM »
So I don't get this. I've had the same exact precise deck on Forged Hollows and now cast inverted ti frankens that are basically like Standard Hollows in the following configs:

-FH and 54mm Loophole Teardrop (2)
-FH and 52mm Classic Full (3)
-SH and 52mm Classic Full (1)

The numbers are ranking the pop in a straightline, however, when rotating the difference is noticeable. Theoretically the FH and 54s should be the same as SH and 52's right?

And oddly cast Thunders and 52 was my childhood go-to and 148s with 52s has equal pop to this SH and 52 setup. Makes no sense.

How are you measuring your pop? For me it's mostly muscle memory, I need a lot of time to get used to a different setup and then I get the same pop. So the best pop is simply on what feels the most comfortable at the moment.
And there's still a difference in weight, right?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11042 on: March 15, 2022, 09:58:18 AM »
I skate the same spots all the time. I can quickly setup my phone and use a ledge for reference for flatground tricks or tricks on the ledge and combine with how it felt.

The SH definitely take a bit more effort to pop, but it only took me about 5min of flat to adjust my timing slightly.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #11043 on: March 15, 2022, 10:13:21 AM »
I think that what you are finding with this experiment, is there is just more info at play, that is relevant, that is unaccounted for. Specifically the effect of the different trucks on leverage, and the potentially compounding effects adding in the deck geo and wheel sizes. I’m thinking different angles…but what I’m really thinking is I’ve go no idea what I’m on about here. I just think there is more that we do not know. I’m not sure why I’m taking the time to peck this out, as it’s not helpful.
I’ve had some startling moments with setups, some recently, in particular skating a board with a large wb, and getting great pop. Some of my highest Ollies were on relatively heavy setups. Lighter setups helped the pop of my flip tricks.
All I know is that I dunno 

Spirit

• Rep: -20
  • Personal Text
« Reply #11044 on: March 15, 2022, 10:33:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Heya

I'm a big dude (6'3, 220-240lbs) and I now finally have some disposable income to buy proper trucks. Got the degree, found a decent job, all that fun stuff.
I never really had any specific requirements for trucks, mainly because I could only skate the cheapest garbage I could get my hands on like Silvers and Theeves. I currently have the basic Ace model, but I already had to change out the bushings twice, as I have it on the tightest to avoid wheel bites. I like the way they feel and I would like to keep something similar even though the good turning is a bit counter-intuitive in my case.
I mainly skate flat and am working on my ledge game.

I ride an 8.5 and just grab any wheels that I can get my hands on for cheap, currently some 55s I think.
Forgot to mention that I am based in EU (Czechia), so any US specific brands are a no-go
[close]
Maybe Independent standards 144/149 or Film 5.5 (French brand so usually cheapest in EU). They are the highest trucks I know at 55mm, it should help you with wheelbites. You could also try some hard bushings, risers, or smaller wheels (50/52mm).
Expand Quote
Heya

I'm a big dude (6'3, 220-240lbs) and I now finally have some disposable income to buy proper trucks. Got the degree, found a decent job, all that fun stuff.
I never really had any specific requirements for trucks, mainly because I could only skate the cheapest garbage I could get my hands on like Silvers and Theeves. I currently have the basic Ace model, but I already had to change out the bushings twice, as I have it on the tightest to avoid wheel bites. I like the way they feel and I would like to keep something similar even though the good turning is a bit counter-intuitive in my case.
I mainly skate flat and am working on my ledge game.

I ride an 8.5 and just grab any wheels that I can get my hands on for cheap, currently some 55s I think.
Forgot to mention that I am based in EU (Czechia), so any US specific brands are a no-go
[close]
Maybe Independent standards 144/149 or Film 5.5 (French brand so usually cheapest in EU). They are the highest trucks I know at 55mm, it should help you with wheelbites. You could also try some hard bushings, risers, or smaller wheels (50/52mm).
Thank a bunch!

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 466
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11045 on: March 15, 2022, 01:51:11 PM »
Does anyone have an accurate measurement in grams of the weight of a Thunder Team Hollow 148?

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11046 on: March 15, 2022, 01:57:45 PM »
Saw 338g and 340g mentioned after quick search

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 466
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11047 on: March 15, 2022, 02:29:47 PM »

Thanks. I checked Tactics first and then Google search. My toddler is on sleep strike so I’m going on like 2hours total sleep in 48 hours. Didn’t even think to hit the search on here for it. Brain is currently melting.

LewFarrell

• Rep: 140
« Reply #11048 on: March 15, 2022, 07:29:28 PM »

This is accurate based on mine (336.5g skated 1.5months).

Cooper808

• Rep: 1
« Reply #11049 on: March 15, 2022, 10:21:19 PM »

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #11050 on: March 16, 2022, 07:35:49 AM »

Those look really nice. AF1 hanger on a classic plate? What are the pivot cups?

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #11051 on: March 18, 2022, 08:41:55 PM »
Got a set of Indy standard hollow 149 on sale. One weighs 10g more than the other. Which doesn’t seem like much but my old set is axled on the rear and that’s also 10g lighter than the front. Doesn’t make sense. Do yourself a favor and don’t weigh anything ever.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #11052 on: March 18, 2022, 10:35:38 PM »
Got a set of Indy standard hollow 149 on sale. One weighs 10g more than the other. Which doesn’t seem like much but my old set is axled on the rear and that’s also 10g lighter than the front. Doesn’t make sense. Do yourself a favor and don’t weigh anything ever.

If they are brand new, that is weird.  If they are used, the wear on the truck could account for the weight difference.

Now you have started, you should at least keep going, so take everything apart and check each baseplate and each hanger.

Not being a dick, just helping to sort out the difference and also curious as to where the difference is with those trucks.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11053 on: March 18, 2022, 10:41:36 PM »
Expand Quote
LAnyone have thoughts on differences/preferences as between indy forged hollows and standard hollows? Pop feel, stability, pinch etc?
[close]

I don't ride Indys but if I had to I'm rocking forged baseplates, not a fan of the tall 55mm height. Would like to have try a Indy Low when they were still in production, 48.5mm puts them in the Venture 5.2 Lo and Thunder 147 Standard territory.

I probably shouldn't say, but I have a set of very minimally used Indy low 139s that don't have a home.

It is funny because at one stage these things would have been so highly sought after, but nowdays, no one seems to want the 8" Indy low trucks.

Pretty much everyone I skate with are on at least normal hollow forged or standard 148s or more likely 149s and up nowdays.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11054 on: March 18, 2022, 10:54:01 PM »
I prefer cast just because they look better, that said I don’t like high trucks….venture high=forged, thunder=cast. If I skated Indy’s I’d prolly skate forged.  Can’t win ‘‘em all….

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11055 on: March 19, 2022, 09:41:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
LAnyone have thoughts on differences/preferences as between indy forged hollows and standard hollows? Pop feel, stability, pinch etc?
[close]

I don't ride Indys but if I had to I'm rocking forged baseplates, not a fan of the tall 55mm height. Would like to have try a Indy Low when they were still in production, 48.5mm puts them in the Venture 5.2 Lo and Thunder 147 Standard territory.

[close]

I probably shouldn't say, but I have a set of very minimally used Indy low 139s that don't have a home.

It is funny because at one stage these things would have been so highly sought after, but nowdays, no one seems to want the 8" Indy low trucks.

Pretty much everyone I skate with are on at least normal hollow forged or standard 148s or more likely 149s and up nowdays.

@rothdigga

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11056 on: March 19, 2022, 06:33:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

@rothdigga

I already offered, but didn't have a reply.

Might be he has enough now to last as long as needed, or has per others, finding the mids work well enough for what they want.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #11057 on: March 20, 2022, 12:21:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If they are brand new, that is weird.  If they are used, the wear on the truck could account for the weight difference.

Now you have started, you should at least keep going, so take everything apart and check each baseplate and each hanger.

Not being a dick, just helping to sort out the difference and also curious as to where the difference is with those trucks.
The hanger and baseplate on one is 6g and 4g heavier than the other. If I swap them around both trucks come out evenly to 380g, which is 10g heavier than the 370g they’re spec’d at.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #11058 on: March 20, 2022, 12:36:44 AM »
anyone know who makes thinner bottom washers?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11059 on: March 20, 2022, 07:28:27 AM »
If you go to a hardware store like an Ace hardware that has a good bulk section you can find thinner washers often, but they’re likely not even a full mm thinner than normal. Most washers are thinner in the middle than the cupped section.

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #11060 on: March 20, 2022, 08:06:49 AM »
[Imgur](
)

was gonna change my bushings n the ventures. go to try to slip tool in it wont go in and i see this.

I hope i can find a chisel here
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 08:14:48 AM by lazer69 »

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #11061 on: March 20, 2022, 10:39:40 AM »
I got some venture hi's off the swedish ebay for my cruiser. Wheels on it is 60mm super juices.

1. Is it a stupid truck choice since the venture turn is quick to wheelbite? Gonna go risers ofc but still..

2. How do u setup yours to get em more surfy feely?

LewFarrell

• Rep: 140
« Reply #11062 on: March 20, 2022, 11:39:32 AM »
I got some venture hi's off the swedish ebay for my cruiser. Wheels on it is 60mm super juices.

1. Is it a stupid truck choice since the venture turn is quick to wheelbite? Gonna go risers ofc but still..

I don't find that Ventures wheelbite easily, not like Thunders at least. With those big soft wheels any wheelbite will be noticable though.

Using a flat Bones style washer on the top bushing will definitely make the trucks feel more surfy, as well as rocking softer bushings. I see a lot of people with Bones softs on Venture hi's. I also think the Indy red conical bushings should work well although I haven't personally tried it.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11063 on: March 20, 2022, 01:09:28 PM »

I used to skate venture hi's with 60mm spitfire classics. Used 1/8 riser and it was manageable. I could do all my flatground and slappy stuff okay. Couldn't really surf that much  so i would say go for bigger riser if you really wanna cruise.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #11064 on: March 20, 2022, 01:13:58 PM »

A flat washer under the bottom bushing cup. Changes the geometry slightly for less wheel bite.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11065 on: March 20, 2022, 01:19:34 PM »
I actually don’t think this is a dumb idea….they don’t carve that well, but at the same time, you can really lean into them. 

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #11066 on: March 20, 2022, 02:43:40 PM »
Indy Titaniums broke on me in the middle of the 50-50. I think ive skated these 5 times:

Already sent a warranty request. Swapped to some Thunder Hollow Lights to give them a shot.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11067 on: March 20, 2022, 04:54:23 PM »
[Imgur]http://(
)

was gonna change my bushings n the ventures. go to try to slip tool in it wont go in and i see this.

I hope i can find a chisel here

Best thing for that is a 9/16" spanner or a smaller size adjustable wrench.

I found that a number of trucks always would have issues, mainly Thunder, but some Venture low and other brands where the hanger dropped towards the kingpin, so having one of these on hand was always a good idea.

Just a simple set of beefy pliers might also help with that bit of metal that is sitting over it too.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #11068 on: March 20, 2022, 06:22:43 PM »
I don't wanna get anyone in trouble so I'll just say a well-known person in the NHS camp relocated in recent years near me and told a good friend of mine that Indy is coming out with a stage 12 soon.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11069 on: March 20, 2022, 06:56:49 PM »
I don't wanna get anyone in trouble so I'll just say a well-known person in the NHS camp relocated in recent years near me and told a good friend of mine that Indy is coming out with a stage 12 soon.

Oh shit.
Indys have never been my favorite, I’ve always felt like something wasn’t quite the way I wanted it, but the versatility/quality was always notable. Unless someone had a specific reason otherwise, Indy was the way to go, a baseline if you will. The branding, the nhs vs dlx, the outside of skating fan club, all of that always sucked tho.
From a consumer standpoint, it’s pretty cool how many quality options there are. It’s truck wars, and for sure the image stuff for all brands is important, but performance seems to be driving it more and more
Be cool to hear what these are about