Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220858 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 961
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11610 on: August 16, 2022, 10:58:55 AM »

pic hosting

this was my first real skateboard truck. i am beyond stoked for these. these were given to me around the time my cousin passed away in 86. i had been banana boarding for 3 years at that point. im got one back when my homie mike passed away. :(

rip chris
rip mike
rip jake
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

slapattack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 13
« Reply #11611 on: August 17, 2022, 06:44:53 AM »
Recently have gone down the rabbit hole of truck madness this summer and now have every 8.5" truck from Thunder and Venture and ace and just sold my forged 149 indys bc I hate them as a company. Anyways I would just skate thunder 149 forged hollows if it werent for the lack of baseplate. Does anyone else struggle with super inconsistent slide tricks on thunders?

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #11612 on: August 17, 2022, 07:17:11 AM »
Recently have gone down the rabbit hole of truck madness this summer and now have every 8.5" truck from Thunder and Venture and ace and just sold my forged 149 indys bc I hate them as a company. Anyways I would just skate thunder 149 forged hollows if it werent for the lack of baseplate. Does anyone else struggle with super inconsistent slide tricks on thunders?

It’s definitely an adjustment if you’re coming from indy or ace, but you get used to it really quickly. Because of the geometry, your wheels make contact before the base plate usually unless you’re running really small wheels. You have to think of it more like a powerslide or blunt slide even as opposed to a slide against baseplate

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 42
« Reply #11613 on: August 24, 2022, 02:16:57 PM »
I was trying to find a gear swap or buy/sell/trade section on here but couldn't find it.

I have some fun truck stuff I don't want, was going to put it on eBay but figured I'd check here first

- Array sleeved washers, 2 barrel, 2 cone
- 1/8" stainless axle washers(equal to 4 stock washers, used with titanium axle nuts), four
- Ti axle nuts(thinner than regular nuts), four
- Ti kingpin nuts(thinner, can use taller top bushings)
- Ti inverted kingpins(sleeved washers sit flush with it)
- Tensor top bushings
- Stock Ace low bushings
- Stock red Venture bushings
- 3/4" bolts w/ shorty nuts(for forged baseplates on a VX or Flight), 8

I can't figure out how to post a pic, I'm on a phone.

Lmk if there's a swap thread I missed somehow

And I'm not sure if it's okay to post eBay links here

Halp

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -62
« Reply #11614 on: August 24, 2022, 02:36:57 PM »

I've been on Thunders for years and never had problems with slide tricks, but maybe I'm just used to them.
I skated Ventures for years because I came up in the mid/late 90s, then switched to Indy's for a bit because of all the fanfare, then tried Thunder last and never looked back.
I have Indy's on my cruiser deck (that I never use). After skating Thunder for so long, when I throw down on Indy's they feel...I dunno...squirrley is the best way I can put it. Like if I'm just trying to turn a tiny bit, if I lean even the tiniest bit too far the Indy just dives in on me. I've got brand new bushings in them and they're not particularly loose.
Not sure if that's normal, may be hard to notice if you're used to it.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11615 on: August 24, 2022, 02:42:28 PM »
I was trying to find a gear swap or buy/sell/trade section on here but couldn't find it.

I have some fun truck stuff I don't want, was going to put it on eBay but figured I'd check here first

- Array sleeved washers, 2 barrel, 2 cone
- 1/8" stainless axle washers(equal to 4 stock washers, used with titanium axle nuts), four
- Ti axle nuts(thinner than regular nuts), four
- Ti kingpin nuts(thinner, can use taller top bushings)
- Ti inverted kingpins(sleeved washers sit flush with it)
- Tensor top bushings
- Stock Ace low bushings
- Stock red Venture bushings
- 3/4" bolts w/ shorty nuts(for forged baseplates on a VX or Flight), 8

I can't figure out how to post a pic, I'm on a phone.

Lmk if there's a swap thread I missed somehow

And I'm not sure if it's okay to post eBay links here

Halp

It’s on the home page. Events and classifieds. For photos when you go to post you should see an add image to post button. Hope this helps.

swongolianbbq

« Reply #11616 on: August 24, 2022, 06:08:50 PM »

It’s on the home page. Events and classifieds. For photos when you go to post you should see an add image to post button. Hope this helps.

Sweet, thanks!

Lepanto

• Rep: 6
« Reply #11617 on: August 25, 2022, 08:51:22 AM »
1#
-Thunder lights 147
-Splitfire 51mm 101d f4 Classics
-Bushings: the ones that came with  the trucks but a little bit squeezed

2#
-Thunder hollow lights 148
-Splitfire 54mm 99du f4 Classics full
-Bushings: the ones that came with the trucks but a little bit squeezed
-Raiser 1/8

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11618 on: August 25, 2022, 07:38:50 PM »
Congratulations on being normal….

swongolianbbq

« Reply #11619 on: August 31, 2022, 05:15:02 PM »
Looks like Herman got the venture bushings in his thunders

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ch5bHEOPDWi/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11620 on: August 31, 2022, 08:18:24 PM »
Nah, those are Thunder team hollows. The polished come with a clear red bushing stock. At first glance it looks like it though.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11621 on: August 31, 2022, 09:31:05 PM »

You need to almost powerslide your nose slides and/or have your foot further from the pocket. Waxing the wheel area helps.

And no I don't have slide issues with Thunders after I remember this. Kinda like how on Ventures the grind is slower so on certain types of ledges you have to go faster and almost "push" the grind.

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #11622 on: September 01, 2022, 12:58:33 AM »
I was worried also about slide isseies when i bought my first thunders but it turns out that not only there are no issues but they even slide better on one very crusty ledge where the baseplate of my royals get cought. Just some wax on the wheelside of the ledge and you are perfect.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #11623 on: September 01, 2022, 05:27:46 AM »
I was worried also about slide isseies when i bought my first thunders but it turns out that not only there are no issues but they even slide better on one very crusty ledge where the baseplate of my royals get cought. Just some wax on the wheelside of the ledge and you are perfect.

This is the big reason I don't think they should change the baseplate. Not getting caught on chunky ledges is great. My indy's felt way better after the baseplate was a bit worn away.

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #11624 on: September 01, 2022, 05:33:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is the big reason I don't think they should change the baseplate. Not getting caught on chunky ledges is great. My indy's felt way better after the baseplate was a bit worn away.
I've never tried thunder but compared to Indy for slides I think venture are better. The baseplate just wears away a lot faster on venture.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #11625 on: September 03, 2022, 05:33:36 PM »
Someone on here a week or two ago was posting about using barrel bushings on thunders, and I had it on my mind as my thunder seaglass color bushings crumbled in both trucks a.

I just sanded down some 95a venom bushings to thunder height and had a great session on them. I’m actually skating them looser, but they feel so much more stable. Honestly it was amazing and I am not wheelbiting at all, even though I’m skating 54mm dragons on 147s. K grinds were working out great on this setup as I don’t think my pinch was wheelbiting (I felt perfectly locked in) so the wheel was still spinning while grinding, and I was going further than normal. I’m sold on this combo and thanks to the slap pal who peaked my interest!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11626 on: September 03, 2022, 10:23:00 PM »
That’s a smart idea….barrel in thunders….surprised you had to shave them down as thunder bottoms are a bit taller….

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #11627 on: September 04, 2022, 05:58:44 AM »
That’s a smart idea….barrel in thunders….surprised you had to shave them down as thunder bottoms are a bit taller….
The venom bushings were a couple mm taller, but it only took a couple minutes am to sand them down on an old decks grip.
I originally got the vwnoms because the writer on skateboardingismylifetimesport said they made tensor lows into bowl carving machines. I have a set of tensor lows but never set them up with the venoms. I’ll probably grab a set of 93a just to experiment a little bit

southphillytapwater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #11628 on: September 04, 2022, 07:12:24 AM »

I asked Elijah what size these new Indy's were and he said they're 151's, which are slightly bigger than 149's. I also asked him when they come out and he said he isn't sure.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11629 on: September 04, 2022, 08:39:09 AM »
Did you ask him why he hasn’t invested in a proper turntable? 

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #11630 on: September 04, 2022, 08:53:01 AM »
They remind me of the new rkp powell truck in that pic. Which is not a good thing. Something just looks wrong

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11631 on: September 04, 2022, 09:13:26 AM »
They look like if modern Brandon Biebel was a Thunder truck.

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 51
« Reply #11632 on: September 04, 2022, 04:51:05 PM »
They look like if modern Brandon Biebel was a Thunder truck.

Spot-on observation!
How much for an order of ribs?

swongolianbbq

« Reply #11633 on: September 04, 2022, 06:32:53 PM »
That's probably as small as they're gonna go for these if they're just using the 215 molds, saves money they can just have shorter 215 hangers vs making entirely new stuff. I also read somewhere that they're not doing smaller sizes. I've toyed with the idea of cutting down a 215 in the past but never did it

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #11634 on: September 05, 2022, 02:19:38 AM »
But standard 215 and old stage 4 aren't that buff, they changed something for the worse didn't they?
So that leads me to believe they're not simply using the 215 molds

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #11635 on: September 05, 2022, 02:35:13 AM »

From what I understand of the casting process, you can't just make a truck shorter, but you have to make a whole new hanger mold.

As to the shape of these hangers, anyone with a set of 215s can turn them on a certain angle and see more or less the exact same front shape with the supported wings running back on an angle.  They might look a little different because the 215 are such a wide truck and these others are not that wide, so the extra wings make them look really solid and different.

The listings and almost all pics online really don't show the truck from the angle that you see when looking at people's boards, but you can check these anyway.

Maybe the best overall pics:

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-trucks-c18/independent-stage-11-215-skateboard-trucks-10-p20370

Second pic from NHS

https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/stage-4-polished-skateboard-trucks-independent

This might be closest of any other normal pics anyway:

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 961
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #11636 on: September 05, 2022, 07:55:41 PM »

I asked Elijah what size these new Indy's were and he said they're 151's, which are slightly bigger than 149's. I also asked him when they come out and he said he isn't sure.

I can't wait. I'm hoping that I can get these in 144. This is the best shit Indy has done ever. They will likely have the reverse no hang up yoke too.

I imagine it will be like coming home. Full circle in skating. Stage 4 was my first truck. I have copers and everything.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

stupidfuckface

• Rep: 19
« Reply #11637 on: September 06, 2022, 05:22:52 AM »
So, whatever you do, don’t think you can just Frankenstein Indy’s together...
I just assumed throwing some mindy hangers on forged baseplates, wouldn't be an issue.. that is very incorrect.. running them with white Indy bushings, and they feel tight as fuck...I’ve been telling myself to stay the course and break them bitches in, but I don’t think I can take it...

Anybody want to trade some 44 or 55 classics for some hollow forged 159(149 too)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #11638 on: September 06, 2022, 05:31:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I can't wait. I'm hoping that I can get these in 144. This is the best shit Indy has done ever. They will likely have the reverse no hang up yoke too.

I imagine it will be like coming home. Full circle in skating. Stage 4 was my first truck. I have copers and everything.

The story at this point is that the narrowest size is going to be a hair larger than the 149. Hopefully something for the 144 crowd shows up, but 144s themselves are a relatively recent creation and it’s possible that Indy is not anticipating a lot of demand from the 8.25” crowd.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #11639 on: September 06, 2022, 02:01:42 PM »
So, whatever you do, don’t think you can just Frankenstein Indy’s together...
I just assumed throwing some mindy hangers on forged baseplates, wouldn't be an issue.. that is very incorrect.. running them with white Indy bushings, and they feel tight as fuck...I’ve been telling myself to stay the course and break them bitches in, but I don’t think I can take it...

Anybody want to trade some 44 or 55 classics for some hollow forged 159(149 too)

I had brought this up before, the geo is slightly different on the mid as the yoke won’t sit center on standard forged plates (nor will a regs  stage XI hanger sit correctly on the mid plates…if it was the same they’d call them Stage XIs not ‘Legendary Geometry’.

Forged mids feel great tho, my current favorite indy.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 08:04:03 PM by Xen »